Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Modern lightweight adventure bike?  (Read 6141 times)

Reputation 5

Miles Typed: 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: June 24, 2017, 06:44:46 am »

Is there any selection of these that I have overlooked?
A couple traveling around the world switched out their F800s for WR250s and reduced their luggage. This saved more than 100 kilos (200 pounds) from each of their rides, plus they got more ground clearance and better suspension as a bonus.
WR250s are not really adventure bikes and come with their own set of limitations but are there some bikes available that would bridge the gap from WR250 at 33hp/113kg to F800 at 85hp/190kg.
There are bikes like V-Strom 250 and Versys-X 300 but they only combine the worst from F800 and WR250, low power and high weight.

PS. I am on a limited budget. Smile
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton, '16 BMW R1200RS
GPS: Western N.C.
Miles Typed: 14347

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 08:04:19 am »

A lot of 250cc off road bikes have benches for seats which aren't conducive to all day touring.

jay547

Reputation 279

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 3678

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 01:49:19 pm »

A true modern light weight adventure bike doesn't really exist. Probably the closest thing from the factory would be a Honda CB500x. Relatively light weight at about 428 pounds with a full tank. 47 hp which is adequate, despite what 95% of the people here will say. No, I don't own one.

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.

"You really are one stupid idiot." ~Tejasbusa - "Thank you, Dr. Dipstick." ~NinjaLady
Advertisement

HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), St Triple 765 R (low), Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 03:08:47 pm »

BMW G310GS
But it's not available quite yet.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
jay547

Reputation 279

Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 04:12:37 pm »

What is the estimated price of this BMW? I would be surprised if it ticked the limited budget box. Or does limited budget mean under $20k?

"You really are one stupid idiot." ~Tejasbusa - "Thank you, Dr. Dipstick." ~NinjaLady
rajflyboy

Reputation 378

Motorcycles: BMW
Miles Typed: 2257

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 08:34:26 pm »

A true modern light weight adventure bike doesn't really exist. Probably the closest thing from the factory would be a Honda CB500x. Relatively light weight at about 428 pounds with a full tank. 47 hp which is adequate, despite what 95% of the people here will say. No, I don't own one.

I also like the Honda 500  Thumbsup

"The Dream is free The Hustle is sold separately”
blender

Reputation 0

GPS: Wisconsin
Miles Typed: 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 09:27:19 pm »

What is the estimated price of this BMW? I would be surprised if it ticked the limited budget box. Or does limited budget mean under $20k?

The BMW G310R lists at $4,750 (http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html), so I don't think the GS version will be *that* much more. I'm sure the BMW luggage won't be inexpensive but there always aftermarket.

Yeah, even if the GS version is < $5K that still isn't in budget territory.....

Steve
jay547

Reputation 279

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 12:10:16 am »

The BMW G310R lists at $4,750 (http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html), so I don't think the GS version will be *that* much more. I'm sure the BMW luggage won't be inexpensive but there always aftermarket.

Yeah, even if the GS version is < $5K that still isn't in budget territory.....

Looks like that might turn out to be a really good deal.  Thumbsup

miles

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13074

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 12:30:37 am »

The bummer about the BMW is the same as listed above for the Versys 300- too much weight, and probably too little suspension. The G310R weighs in at 160 kilos and 33 hp.

That's roughly 25kg heavier than the WR and only 5 more hp.

You could build out a really well sorted WR and get the same power and weight (with luggage and so on) in a package with proven reliability and aftermarket support.

Now, to be fair, a new WR costs as much as the GS will likely price out at (maybe even a little bit more). It'll still have longer travel and the right size wheels, which the BMW won't.

Three points where two lines meet
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 10:37:05 am »

The venerable DR650 is a worthy option as is the KLR650. Both bikes have hauled people all over the world on the road less traveled. Granted, both are heavy as dual-sport/trail bikes go, but you can ride single track if needed on them, assuming you have some skills. Both bikes are dirt cheap on the used market, usually with the common mods/accessories already done.

Personally, I use a KTM 530 EXC as my lightweight adventure bike. A small rack on the tail, a Giant Loop bag, and a small tank bag provide the luggage. A Seat Concepts kit makes full days in the saddle possible. I'm not traveling the world on it, but it does just fine at long weekend trips.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 10:41:41 am by garry » Logged

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: '03 Guzzi V11 LeMans, ‘08 Ulysses, '07 Norge , XT350
GPS: BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 1137

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 02:41:49 pm »

Adventure seems to mean different things to different people...I would like comfort for 1,000 mile days,if need be, like my old Stelvio that I stupidly traded away   ...but I want *relative* lightweight! I don't want to ride a Tank any more.
A 250 or 300cc bike is not going to cut it for 70mph cruising all day long (or even 65) while I am on the pavement getting to the dirt roads! When you take the comfortable mile-eating ability out of the equation, you are back to having a "dual-purpose" bike, and may as well try to make a DR comfortable. I guess it all comes down to definitions? When I see "adventure", I expect to be able to jump on the bike and ride to Argentina with all my gear, without it taking all year.
 I think the Honda 500 is the minimal definition of an adventure bike at the moment, but I don't do Honda (or BMW) due to reliability issues, and Hondas being such boring, soulless bikes. The 300 cc engines just don't have enough jam, in my experience, with my 200 pounds (never mind with 50 pounds of luggage).  I think a 400 twin could probably work, but I don't see anyone talking that size yet. I like big singles, but I don't want to put up with the vibes for days on end...so it has to be a twin. Personally, I prefer V twins, but it's a parallel twin world for cheap bikes.
 I'm still waiting on the Yamaha T7, but so far it looks like it's a narrow-focus rally bike, not so much an ADV bike. if the weight is down, I don't think displacement is a penalty.  

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 04:52:56 pm »

I fully agree with what you say; "Adventure seems to mean different things to different people". For me, getting off the highway, taking the back roads, going slow, actually seeing and noticing the view and visit new out of the way places is adventure. Hardcore trail riding is exercise (which I avoid). Staying on the highway for mile after mile, from city to city, and only seeing the asphalt and gas stations is touring. Smile
The perfect adventure bike will depend on the adventure. Weight, power, speed, wind protection, ease of maintenance, luggage space and fuel consumption will play a part. Longer distances on asphalt will favour larger bikes with softer seats. Bad roads favour lighter bikes with top rate suspension. There is a huge difference in fatigue on loose surface potholed road or a curvy road if you manage to cut sizeable chunk of weight from your bike, on that kind of road you cannot cruise at 70 mph anyway.
Modern small engines are quite powerful. CL250L Rally will top 80 mph and cruise nicely at 65.
I have nothing against large displacement engines. If you find larger engine bike, that is also light (and cheap), please let me know.  Beerchug

I have an old XT350 Yamaha that does nicely for the kind of riding you are talking about...it's perfect for exploring fire roads and cowpaths, but I don't consider it an adventure bike, and I don't want to take it too far on the highway...but it will do a few hundred miles if need be. I don't see anything out there that is much more capable until we move on to much bigger bikes. Personally, I would rather live with something closer to a scrambler, but neither the Triumph or Ducati are light enough to be useful. I would have to make my own. I don't need motocross suspension, just old school dual purpose capability.
 It's sad that suitable bikes have come and gone...stuff like the old NTX650 Guzzi,  KLE500 (which Kawasaki stupidly never brought to North America), even the TDR250...but reliability wasn't the strong suit of some of these oldies.
 I'm currently leaning toward further modifying a Guzzi V7 with Stornello kit, which won't be much use off of the gravel roads, but at least I will want to be out on the back roads on it all day...and I will be able to turn it around without getting a hernia!

motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 07:37:25 pm »

I had an XT350, I remember it fondly.  

Just for fun I looked it up. 31 horsepower - 264 lbs dry Smile

It's a great bike, but if I have to ride half an hour to get to a forest road, I am not going to pick it first, unless I need to go way off road. I need to enjoy a bike on the paved roads to want to ride it to the dirt. This is why my DR650 left the stable. In 2 years I only put a few hundred kilometers on it, while my Stelvio did about 30K ( mostly on road) in less time.

jay547

Reputation 279

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 10:30:37 pm »

I've put about 12,000 miles on my DR650 in the three years I've owned it. I put 140 on it today. But I would never consider it an adventure bike and I often bitch about it's weight even though it is 100+ pounds lighter than most adventure-class bikes.

For the record, I am 58 years old.

rajflyboy

Reputation 378

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 06:24:26 am »

Fuel injection would be nice on the DR 650

kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 90

GPS: NKY
Miles Typed: 1143

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 06:56:40 am »

Only got a relatively short test ride on the CB500X last year, but it did include some paved and unsaved roads, and I came away very impressed by its stability over rough dirt and potholes along with its smoothness and useable power.  Don't think I'd consider doing any single track with it, (I'm not a real DS rider anyway) but I'd certainly give it some serious examination if I was you.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
rajflyboy

Reputation 378

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 01:41:54 pm »

What is an unsaved road?

Razz

I always learn something from Mr. K

Biking Sailor

Reputation 78

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: Tenere 1200, Tenere 700 and XT250. My wife's FJ09 and MT09 that I get to ride occasionally
GPS: Edmond, OK
Miles Typed: 1291

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2017, 08:10:33 pm »

Only got a relatively short test ride on the CB500X last year, but it did include some paved and unsaved roads, and I came away very impressed by its stability over rough dirt and potholes along with its smoothness and useable power.  Don't think I'd consider doing any single track with it, (I'm not a real DS rider anyway) but I'd certainly give it some serious examination if I was you.

I have a white 2014 CB500X. We've put 17,000 miles on it over 14 states. I would not really classify it as an adventure bike because it has sport size tires, 17" front and back.  It has some really good points, been perfectly reliable, good range on regular gas, very good fuel economy, will cruise at 80mph all day. I made a rear rack and put on a trax box (from my old Stelvio) and then pile soft saddle bags and dry bags on it for week long trips (wife is main user of the bike).

Some of the negative points are passing power above 70mph take a bit of planning, it is a 500 twin that gets about 60mpg after all and acceleration from stopped it has a hard time keeping up with other sport bikes (duh!). First gear is a bit low so you are shifting quick, but that can be a good thing in off pavement situations.

We are on a several thousand mile trip right now and it got left home in favor of an FJ09, but we are covering long distances and staying on pavement, mostly. Note, it is for sale if anyone's interested.    Bigsmile

"Your Guzzi isn't here to do your bidding, you're here to do her bidding."  -- Orson
"when you're riding a Guzzi you know you're riding a MOTORBIKE and not some sits-down-to-pee hairdryer with a wheel at each end." -- Pete
miles

Reputation 86

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 13074

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2017, 11:18:54 pm »

What is an unsaved road?

It's a highway to hell.

Three points where two lines meet
kyzrex
member-at-large

Reputation 90

GPS: NKY
Miles Typed: 1143

My Photo Gallery

WWW.ridemsta.com

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 06:36:36 am »

What is an unsaved road?

Razz

I always learn something from Mr. K

Damn spell check!    UNPAVED!

👌

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and would taste good with ketchup"
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal