Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Princeton Summerland Road  (Read 5522 times)

Oxblood

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: 2016 VStrom 1000
GPS: Vancouver, BC
Miles Typed: 1108

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2018, 07:58:50 pm »

Hello all,

Does anyone from the Glorious Interior of BC know if the Princeton Summerland Road can be readily traversed by a Sprint GT fully loaded with a fat old guy and his camping gear?
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Lazarus

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '07, '10
Motorcycles: '18 Concours
GPS: Westbank, BC
Miles Typed: 755

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 02:27:04 am »

A good long bit of Princeton/Summerland is gravel, so unless your Sprint GT likes that sort of thing...

A nice route from Princeton would be Highway 3 east to Keremeos, then 3A north, but instead of staying on 3A all the way to 97 take Green Mountain Road which brings you out in Penticton. Green Mountain Road is all paved but fairly narrow with lots of curves and very little traffic. I haven't been down there yet this year but it was in decent shape my last time through.

5A north from Princeton is a decent road as well but then you're on the slab through to Kelowna, though that route would definitely be faster and at least traffic on 97C is a lot lighter than the Coq.

Mike

"If nothing that we do matters then all that matters is what we do." -Whedon
Oxblood

Reputation 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 12:54:03 pm »

A good long bit of Princeton/Summerland is gravel, so unless your Sprint GT likes that sort of thing...

A nice route from Princeton would be Highway 3 east to Keremeos, then 3A north, but instead of staying on 3A all the way to 97 take Green Mountain Road which brings you out in Penticton. Green Mountain Road is all paved but fairly narrow with lots of curves and very little traffic. I haven't been down there yet this year but it was in decent shape my last time through.

5A north from Princeton is a decent road as well but then you're on the slab through to Kelowna, though that route would definitely be faster and at least traffic on 97C is a lot lighter than the Coq.

Thanks for thefeedback. I have done 3A, but not Green Mountain. I noticed it on the map and it does look like a nice route. Even though about 1/3rd of Princeton Summerland is gravel, and some have said sports type bikes can negotiate it, I was hoping for just this kind of feedback. 3A - Green mountain it is, then.
Advertisement

motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: '03 Guzzi V11 LeMans, ‘08 Ulysses, '07 Norge , XT350
GPS: BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 1137

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 10:43:04 pm »

Yeah, you will like Green Mountain Rd. Watch for rocks on road up the hill not long after you turn onto Green Mountain, but the rest is good. Where are you headed from Summerland?

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference. -Robert Frost
Oxblood

Reputation 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 01:36:46 am »

Yeah, you will like Green Mountain Rd. Watch for rocks on road up the hill not long after you turn onto Green Mountain, but the rest is good. Where are you headed from Summerland?

Heading out Sunday morning. ENding up at Fintry Provincial Park for a fe wnights of relaxation, and a  couple of easy day rides. Won't be far from Monte Creek ;-)
Sport
Motorcyclist

Reputation 22

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 06 GSX1300R LE, 79 CBX.
GPS: NorCal
Miles Typed: 1385

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 03:32:13 am »

Hey guys, is a passport really required to cross the border?  Valid license and insurance not enough?

Ride em if ya got em...
PatM

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: BMW R1200RT 2016
GPS: Montreal, Canada
Miles Typed: 1009

My Photo Gallery

On the road again

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 11:25:44 am »

Technicaly, no, but highly recommended. http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html
However you would be required to have one or equivalent to reenter into your country. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3618/~/u.s.-citizens---documents-needed-to-enter-the-united-states-and%2For-to-travel

Ride safe!
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 12:28:45 pm »

Heading out Sunday morning. ENding up at Fintry Provincial Park for a fe wnights of relaxation, and a  couple of easy day rides. Won't be far from Monte Creek ;-)

Fintry is nice. The bats leaving the bat houses at night are really cool, and so is the dam etc up the hill. Enjoy!

Oxblood

Reputation 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 03:11:21 pm »

Fintry is nice. The bats leaving the bat houses at night are really cool, and so is the dam etc up the hill. Enjoy!

I hope to! If you find yourself free Mon or Tue day, feel free to join me for a ride somewheres.
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 11:35:41 pm »

I really wish I could come for a ride! Working overtime for a few weeks  Crazy ...really wish I had time to drop by! I leave for work at 5:30 and don't get home for dinner until 7.
If by some miracle I have free time I will message you.

Oxblood

Reputation 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 12:31:09 pm »

I really wish I could come for a ride! Working overtime for a few weeks  Crazy ...really wish I had time to drop by! I leave for work at 5:30 and don't get home for dinner until 7.
If by some miracle I have free time I will message you.

Sounds good to me. I'll PM you my cell. I am sure that all that OT is going to be put to good use some day.
Oxblood

Reputation 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 12:14:27 pm »

Well, had a nice time in the Okanagan. Met up with Dean (motrhead) and Linda late Monday. We went for a rip through some of the back roads to Armstrong, where we enjoyed a nicer dinner at the Anchor Pub. Kind of amusing to be in a nautically themed pub in the middle of a semi arid, landlocked place like Armstrong.

Motrhead, thanks for the company. Had a great time with you guys.
motrhead
Travellin' Soul

Reputation 25

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 10:05:53 am »

Bigok
It's always great to hang out with great motorcycle people, and maybe enjoy a couple scenic back roads. Was good to see you Kai. We'll see you at the Borscht Burn!

Oxblood

Reputation 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 12:13:03 pm »

Bigok
It's always great to hang out with great motorcycle people, and maybe enjoy a couple scenic back roads. Was good to see you Kai. We'll see you at the Borscht Burn!

Too right Dean! Thanks again for the invite. It was a most enjoyable evening out. See you at the BBBBQ!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal