Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Extended warranty??? any experience with this company - INTERSTATE STAR  (Read 3823 times)

HarryK

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '90 K75 RT, '05 Thruxton, '69 Bonneville
GPS: Western NC
Miles Typed: 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: December 26, 2007, 08:34:51 PM »

Anyone have any experience with this company - INTERSTATE STAR (out of Uniondale, NY) ? I am looking at buying a 2004 1150 GS milage 72,000 with about 4 years left on the warranty. I can transfer it to me for $50.
A friend says extended 3rd party warranty companies are notorious for it not being easy to get them to pay.
thanks,
Harry
cole

Reputation 11

GPS: hudson valley,ny
Miles Typed: 232

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 09:05:54 PM »

I have had warrantys like this on cars. They can be a problem . But if all repairs are approved prior you will not have a problem. I would call them and see if there ary any mileage stipulations. If not for $50 it is worth having.
UHOH

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: C-14 Sport-tour
GPS: Washington State - the dry, east side
Miles Typed: 1133

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 09:53:24 PM »

Your first post - WELCOME to ST-N

$50 on top of the cost of the bike, ~4 yrs. -  I'd probably do it.

But in general, be careful and listen to the details; read the policy exclusions.  

Experience - one bike purchase years ago I intended to buy one of these extended warranties, but listening to the dealer made me back off.   I had thought the policy was from the manufacturer - WRONG.  

The 3rd party policy described paid off only if the bike would not run at all.   Well, most of us would hear / feel something going wrong and try to get it fixed, but the policy described to me wouldn't cover that approach...   I had to be broke down on the side of the road, unable to move, as in totally unable to move under the bike's power.   The dealer was honest with me, and probably lost a fairly good profit by being so.

With 3rd party the 'insurance' company has no reason to pay off, unlike if it was from BMW who wanted to keep a good reputation.  Only the threat of gov. agency regulation would work here against a third party, and this government (at least federal - Bush) does not lean on businesses.   If you're in the same state as the 'insurance' company you might get a state regulator to help you if the need arises...  
long answer
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 09:56:41 PM by UHOH » Logged
budah1
96VFR/03FXST

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '09
GPS: Colorado Springs, CO
Miles Typed: 289

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 10:23:09 PM »

Negative feedback with specifics from Advrider http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5955896

IBA # 31086
Joey Stalin
sick of pictures of gas stations

Reputation 15

GPS: nOvA
Miles Typed: 2074

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 10:18:55 AM »

As a general rule, extended warranties are a bad idea for the consumer, but for $50, that isn't too much to pay to take a gamble. Although what company in their right mind would warranty a 72,000 mile bike for another 4 years? I don't even know if you can get someone to sell you an extended warranty on a car with that mileage.

Joseph "Joey" Stalin
BMW R1100RT-P
Kawasaki KLR650
budah1
96VFR/03FXST

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '09
GPS: Colorado Springs, CO
Miles Typed: 289

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 12:29:02 PM »

As a general rule, extended warranties are a bad idea for the consumer, but for $50, that isn't too much to pay to take a gamble. Although what company in their right mind would warranty a 72,000 mile bike for another 4 years? I don't even know if you can get someone to sell you an extended warranty on a car with that mileage.

I get calls weekly for my Olds w/+90K miles.  They just want the premiums then will deny coverage without the receipts.  I would only buy from the the naufacturer then the warranty would be serviced by any dealer.

IBA # 31086
blueridgerider
Kerygmist

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2007 R1200GS - Just the one now
GPS: Beech Mountain, North Carolina
Miles Typed: 1629

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 12:34:26 PM »

I wouldn't buy one, but $50.00 - I'd certainly transfer it.  

en arch hn o logos
Dichotomous
Blue Bike Member #1

Reputation 9

Miles Typed: 685

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 01:33:29 PM »

for $50 sure why not, but if you read the actual things they pay for and how they can get out of paying for anything (its in the warrenty agreement 10pages of text there) its basically exceptionally narrow for them to pay for ANYTHING at all.  and thats just the boilerplate and not taking into the sublties of "abuse" or "regular use" and those such things that can be defined anyway they like (you drove 70mph one time, and another on a dirt road, thats abuse and voids your warrenty)

Theres just something about a blue bike
cole

Reputation 11

GPS: hudson valley,ny
Miles Typed: 232

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 02:40:53 PM »

It is true that extended warranties are usually a money maker for the company. The average person that purchases them do not get a chance to use them within the time and mile limits. But if this one will transfer for $50 then why not. Even if it says said bike must not be able to move under its own power so what any tech can say it was trailered and not rideable. I say buy and hopefully yoiu will not need it.
ksann
Super Moderator

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: R12ST
GPS: 49 hours from Jacksonville
Miles Typed: 8390

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 02:45:41 PM »

Like the others, for that cost, I would transfer it.

But also like the others, I would only buy a factory extended warranty (and probably wouldn't, never have in the past).

Tell us what you decide.

ken

Proud, & Pretty, father of the worlds most beautiful little girl. The bestest one!
HarryK

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '90 K75 RT, '05 Thruxton, '69 Bonneville
GPS: Western NC
Miles Typed: 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 11:21:57 PM »

Thanks for all the info and opinions!
I have since talked to 3 BMW dealers in the state (NC) and two said they would try and work with the company to get work done. Those two also said they had no experience with this particular company but with others and 'there are good ones and bad ones'.
So I figure, like several of you, that for $50 I don't have much to loose and possibly a lot to gain if I should ever have to use it.
I also spoke to the service mgr. of the dealership that sold the bike and the warranty. He said they were easy to work with but also acknowledged that since he sold the warranty, and had a relationship with them it was an easier for him.
What the hell I ride out west fairly often....maybe it'll breakdown out there and I can take it to him!!
Thanks again and any more input is welcome.
I'm about 95% sure I'm gonna buy the bike.
ksann
Super Moderator

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: R12ST
GPS: 49 hours from Jacksonville
Miles Typed: 8390

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 01:17:07 AM »

....I'm about 95% sure I'm gonna buy the bike.
Well then hurry up, so you can post pictures.

No pictures, no bike.

ken

Proud, & Pretty, father of the worlds most beautiful little girl. The bestest one!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal