Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Your bikes are used up after 10K miles!  (Read 19027 times)

sagerat
Ural Tourist; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Reputation 12

GPS: Central Orygun
Miles Typed: 5684

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2012, 06:13:10 pm »

"Honey, here's proof I need to buy a new bike."  

Never underestimate the amount of moronic "facts" that see the printed page or an internet website.  

The poster formerly known as VFRfan

Money can buy motorcycles, which means money can buy happiness
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Kat-Rider

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2006 Katana 750
Miles Typed: 1479

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2012, 08:17:29 pm »

I guess my local shop can see both sides of the story.  When I was trying to talk to them about new tires for the bike they said that 40k was just getting broke in good for my bike. When I talked to them about trading in my bike they called 40k very high mileage.
Silverbird

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: '16 FJR1300 '07 919
GPS: Failville, CO
Miles Typed: 1625

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2012, 09:11:56 pm »

It really is incredible how long a high performance engine will last. I bet the internals of those         200,000 mile + bikes look just fine.  Justy goes to show it the other stuff that will wear out. All the crazy electronics on the new bikes concerns me. I don't see all that new wizardry holding up for that many miles and will the bike even be operational if the electronics on the bike have crapped the bed?  
Advertisement

Kat-Rider

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2006 Katana 750
Miles Typed: 1479

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2012, 08:55:05 am »

I would bet a lot of it is also how you treat the bike.  10k of spirited riding and regular service vs 10k of burnouts and neglect.
I have seen some pretty poor looking bikes that are only a couple years old.

black hills

Reputation 58

GPS: Rapid City, SD
Miles Typed: 5769

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2012, 09:01:19 am »

I guess my local shop can see both sides of the story.  When I was trying to talk to them about new tires for the bike they said that 40k was just getting broke in good for my bike. When I talked to them about trading in my bike they called 40k very high mileage.

I had the same issue when I traded the 954 in. the salesman said he knows it is just broken in, but buyers see 50k as very high mileage, specially ona sport bike. He gave me a decent trade and one of thier mechanics ended up with it.

'04 CBR1000rr '09KTM300exc '11 990Adventure R
the above opinion is simply that of an average middle aged hick with one too many brain injuries... or, don't take it too serious.
jfurf

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: 2003 Suzuki SV1000 naked
GPS: Atlanta, GA USA
Miles Typed: 1656

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2012, 09:46:33 am »

I just checked out Super Street Bike's website and found this:

It's an article where the mag's writers go into dealerships posing as new riders to see what the salespeople tell them.

http://www.superstreetbike.com/features/1204_sbkp_sportbike_dealership_dilemmas/index.html

Sean: On a Saturday afternoon, I approached a salesman in regards to purchasing my first bike. I made it clear that I had no riding experience but liked the way sportbikes looked. After discussing what felt the most comfortable he brought me out to a recently traded-in 2008 GSX-R750 that would be the “perfect bike for me.” It came equipped with a full Yoshimura exhaust, Power Commander and Pazzo levers (quickly toting the high price but hesitantly pronouncing the brand name). Repeatedly, he expressed the benefits of using, “what they call an A, B, C switch” for its ability to “clip the nuts off the bike,” until I was ready for full power. He gave me absolute reassurance that this was the bike to start on for the room it left its rider to grow. We then made our way back into the showroom where he pointed out R6s to GSX-R1000s as if fishing for where my eyes would light up brightest. That is when I asked about the brand new S1000RRs sitting on the wall. I saw a steaming pile of BS fall from his lips and transform into words at that moment: “An S1000 is actually better than a 600 for a beginner because all of the electronics. It will slowly feed in the power on lower modes and all the California Superbike School instructors teach their new riders on this bike—it’s just expensive.”

wibornz
Phototagging???? Huh never heard of it. Sounds like it could be fun.

Reputation 20

Motorcycles: Concours 14, Ninja 650r and about 14 dirt bikes 10 or so atvs and six or seven other streebikes over the years.
GPS: Michigan
Miles Typed: 3196

My Photo Gallery

I do wheelies, get over it.

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2012, 10:17:28 am »

Just broke 50,000 the last week.  Seams as the bike has been used up five times.  My goal is to hit 200,000 on it before I buy a new one.  

TED
I have been married longer than I have not been married.  I have worked on my job longer than I have not worked at my job. 
Motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATVs, jeeps, and a wife....Where the hell is my money going again?  Life has been good to me
jeepinbanditrider
KK6RBI

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: 78 Suzuki GS1000, 04 DL650
GPS: Greenville, Tx.
Miles Typed: 1215

My Photo Gallery

Alright Meow!

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2012, 10:36:58 am »

I just checked out Super Street Bike's website and found this:

It's an article where the mag's writers go into dealerships posing as new riders to see what the salespeople tell them.

http://www.superstreetbike.com/features/1204_sbkp_sportbike_dealership_dilemmas/index.html

Interesting article there for sure.  Smile

1978 GS1000,  2004 VSTROM 650, 2008 MazdaSpeed3
Rogue
Menace to Society

Reputation 108

Motorcycles: Buell and Honda
Miles Typed: 6884

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2012, 06:00:45 pm »

I would bet a lot of it is also how you treat the bike.  10k of spirited riding and regular service vs 10k of burnouts and neglect.
I have seen some pretty poor looking bikes that are only a couple years old.

I just rode with another rider with a 3-yr old bike and 13k miles and his bike looked beat up.  Sun, wind, and rain, plus zero TLC on the finish, and ham-fisted "customization" work along with haphazard choice of aftermarket components = beat up looking bike.

Rogue
cultureslayer

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '89 ex250
GPS: NC USA
Miles Typed: 5797

My Photo Gallery

furry ninja

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2012, 11:39:52 am »

I just rode with another rider with a 3-yr old bike and 13k miles and his bike looked beat up.  Sun, wind, and rain, plus zero TLC on the finish, and ham-fisted "customization" work along with haphazard choice of aftermarket components = beat up looking bike.

My bike looks like it's been dragged through the mountains and back, but mechanically it's in great shape.  I call it theft proofing, and don't care since I paid $500 for it and have put 16k on it.  Hit 30k yesterday.   Bigok

But if I'd bought the bike new and it looked like that in three years, I'd reconsider riding.

Lauren
Mortech

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: 1999 Kawasaki Concours
Miles Typed: 88

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2012, 11:32:57 pm »

DAMN, I knew it! , I really got bent over when I bought my Concours with 63K miles on it for a measly $1999 !
Note : I use car oil in it too , Castrol GTX full synthetic .

1999 Kawasaki Concours aka 'Conrad'
2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer aka 'Tigeress'
wibornz
Phototagging???? Huh never heard of it. Sounds like it could be fun.

Reputation 20

Motorcycles: Concours 14, Ninja 650r and about 14 dirt bikes 10 or so atvs and six or seven other streebikes over the years.
GPS: Michigan
Miles Typed: 3196

My Photo Gallery

I do wheelies, get over it.

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2012, 07:48:59 am »

DAMN, I knew it! , I really got bent over when I bought my Concours with 63K miles on it for a measly $1999 !
Note : I use car oil in it too , Castrol GTX full synthetic .

Your fucked.........O wait it's a Kawasaki.  You should be ok.

TED
I have been married longer than I have not been married.  I have worked on my job longer than I have not worked at my job. 
Motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATVs, jeeps, and a wife....Where the hell is my money going again?  Life has been good to me
jay547

Reputation 279

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2019 Honda CRF450L, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 3678

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2012, 01:48:51 pm »

i just turned 30k this morning. bought it 1 1/2 years ago with 6k.

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.

"You really are one stupid idiot." ~Tejasbusa - "Thank you, Dr. Dipstick." ~NinjaLady
Morgan Buchanan

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2010 Kawasaki Concours
GPS: Lewisville, TX
Miles Typed: 72

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2012, 04:24:20 pm »

The reason 40k is "high mileage" when you're selling is because of the perception they shop will face when they are selling your old bike as a used bike... because of squidward idiot articles like the one referenced in this thread, the general public (read moronic sheep) BELIEVES that 40K is "ultra high mileage" on a motorcycle.

Perception is reality, and the reality is, it's harder to sell a used bike with 40K miles on it than the same used bike with 4K miles on it.

2010 Kawasaki Concours 1400 COG #9384
expatbrit

Reputation 15

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '08 WR250X, '11 Mutleystrada S, ' 12 RC8R
GPS: 'Burque, NM
Miles Typed: 1401

My Photo Gallery

Not all who wander are lost. I probably am, though

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2012, 05:02:54 pm »

Almost 10K on the Duc. Damn; can't sell it, will have to keep it. What a shame!

I did get feedback from a local dealer that, somehow, 10K is the magic number. Any (used) bike with more than that they consider 'hard to sell', since buyers just do have the impression that it's high mileage.
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11826

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2012, 05:54:50 pm »

I think the perception that anything above 10K is a hard sell in the US is because they are mainly used as toys here.  And because of that it is really easy to find low mileage bikes.
Given the choice, I'd buy a low mileage used bike over a higher mileage one, all else being equal.  And usually it is not.  Almost all the low mileage bikes I've seen have been in much better shape than the ridden long/hard/put away wet higher mileage bikes.

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Morgan Buchanan

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2010 Kawasaki Concours
GPS: Lewisville, TX
Miles Typed: 72

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2012, 09:08:26 am »

I think the perception that anything above 10K is a hard sell in the US is because they are mainly used as toys here.  And because of that it is really easy to find low mileage bikes.
Given the choice, I'd buy a low mileage used bike over a higher mileage one, all else being equal.  And usually it is not.  Almost all the low mileage bikes I've seen have been in much better shape than the ridden long/hard/put away wet higher mileage bikes.

That's true often, but there are "circumstances" you need to look at.  In 2009 I bought a 2001 ZX11 with 2500 miles on it.  NOTHING but the oil had EVER been changed.  Not the tires, not the radiator, not the battery, not the brake/clutch....

2010 Kawasaki Concours 1400 COG #9384
morgeen

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: n/a
Miles Typed: 18

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2012, 10:12:17 am »

Wow!!! That was awesome. I wish my bike could go though all that way.

The International Art of Bowling - http://www.iabowling.com/
zer0netgain

Reputation 34

Motorcycles: 2018 BMW R1200RS
GPS: VA/TN
Miles Typed: 6472

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2012, 11:08:38 am »

The latest issue of Super Street Bike (May, p.67) remarks that at 10K miles a streetbike's engine is done.  That it's the equivalent to 100K on a car.  It's past peak.  They say "avoid the 10K mark like the plague."    

If the owner(s) of a street bike ride like squids...that's probably sound advice.  By the time it reaches 10K the bike's probably been ruined and never maintained.  Razz

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal