Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: USB Charging Port  (Read 7274 times)

Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 44

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4789

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« on: September 09, 2013, 11:31:14 PM »

Got a new to me bike and would like to connect up a USB charging port.  
On past bikes I used a powered tank bag with a 3 port cigarette receptacles. On this bike I would like to do it a bit cleaner, that and I don't think I want to use a tank bag on this one, well not just yet.

Spent a bit looking around and thought of a few options. The New to Me ride has a powerlet port up front but it would look tacky having wires hanging out all over the place. My thought so far is to have a USB power port tucked up close to the steering stem out of sight and when needed I could connect the charging cable to the phone or possibly the Sena on long rides.

So my question to all here on STN, anyone using a USB charging port? What are you using? if not got any ideas?

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
bubba zanetti
2008 Moto Guzzi Norge 2003 DRZ400S

Reputation 57

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Kootenays British Columbia above the US eh ...eh?
Miles Typed: 5710

My Photo Gallery

Easy. I know what I'm doing… kinda ...

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 11:42:00 PM »

I have the one on the top left of this page wired to my battery. I keep it coiled under my seat and when I need to charge on the fly just run itto whichever device in my hard bags.  There is a panel mount there too for a fixed setup, but I like to be able to park my bike close to my tent when camping and have power for phone or Ipad.

http://burnsmoto.com/   You can find these on Amazon and other places. Bought mine up here for about $24

Andrew

Reputation 44

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 11:45:27 PM »

Nice one Bubba, http://burnsmoto.com/ is just over the hill from me  Thumbsup

I may have to stop by on the way home after work tomorrow

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
David Morrow

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: FJR
GPS: Vancouver, B.C.
Miles Typed: 604

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 01:45:09 AM »

If you want a clean installation, you might like this one even better. You don't need to install the rectangular plastic piece in the picture. The cover is attached to the main body. I looked for a USB outlet for a long time before I found this one and installed it.

http://www.bluesea.com/products/1016/Dual_USB_Charger_Socket

SS1000, SS2000, BB1500, BBG1500, TransCanada Quest, TransCanada Gold(2005), TransCanada Gold(2007)
sfalexi

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2010 ST1300
GPS: Columbia, SC
Miles Typed: 498

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 05:46:31 AM »

I went to google and searched "RV Roof Plug SAE"

It's the same as the powerlet, with open wires and you have to buy your own screws and nuts, but much cheaper.  Put this on the fairing someplace nice.

Then I bought a cigarette adaptor splitter (turns one socket into two sockets) from an auto parts store.  About 7 bucks.  Then bought 2 more SAE plugs and spliced them into the sockets and the male part of the adaptor.  About another 6 bucks and some soldering.  Then I bought a cheap cigarette to USB adaptor from amazon.  About 3 bucks.

So for a total of around 20 - 25, I now have a USB plug I can use in any vehicle, an adaptor that I can use any cigarette plug on my bike, another adaptor that I can use any SAE plug item in the car, and it's flush on the fairing.

Of course, I intend to use that plug for much more (I use it for my GPS, heated gear, travel air compressor to check tire pressure, etc.), but I wanted all SAE plugs cause it's easy to find those while traveling, and I wanted it flush to the bike.

Alexi
Cablebandit
Pig Wrangler

Reputation 92

Motorcycles: '10 Flying Pig
GPS: Stormstown PA
Miles Typed: 4824

My Photo Gallery

Certified Maniac

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 08:09:39 AM »

Blue Sea Dual...installed.  Nice and clean.

IBA #33260  https://www.facebook.com/TheCablebandits
"since I actually have a twat I can complain all I want to" - viffergyrl
"I pooped at the highest point in West Virginia" - molferen
marc11

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '09
Motorcycles: 14 R1200RT - 02 XR400r
GPS: Orange County, NY
Miles Typed: 2714

My Photo Gallery

I drank the Kool-Aid; it gave me the runs.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 09:27:03 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Motorcycle-iPhone-Battery-Charger/dp/B005SE1ZQ6/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1378819517&sr=8-9&keywords=iphone+motorcycle+mount

I hard wired the above to my bike and just tuck the wire behind the fairing when not in use.  Why did I go this route?  Well, it is 100% waterproof with all connectors.  It offers all sorts of plug and play charging options, so I can charge my iPhone, Samsung, what ever.  It has an on/off switch if I am so inclined, although I wired it to switch power and it is a very clean installation.

From the North East?  Check out: www.northeastsporttouring.com
Havagan

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: 2002 VFR, 2006 FZ1
Miles Typed: 86

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 09:34:47 AM »

+1 on the Blue Sea dual USB plug.

Powerful enough to charge both my phone and chatterbox all day while using the phone as a GPS.

Fat AND slow!
SuperHans
Liberal Pinhead

Reputation 110

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Warpig
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 4784

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 06:04:40 PM »

Just do yourself a favor and don't leave the cap off and your bike out in the rain. I store my bike outside and didn't get my cover on before it started to rain. The cap on the USB port was off and it destroyed it. The water pooled in it and fried it.

Next one I install I'm going to install it upside down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Anarchy on the STN
Andrew

Reputation 44

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 10:13:14 PM »

Very nice install Thumbsup Thumbsup

I found this one on Fleybay  
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350832446575?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

at less than $4 it fits the budget and can be neatly tucked under the tank when not used.

Although the Blue Sea option sure looks nice  might be willing to pull the Powerlet port and switch it out Rolleyes

DfnsMn69

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 98 Valkyrie and 03 VFR
GPS: Hillsboro, OR
Miles Typed: 38

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 12:10:33 AM »

+1 on the Blue Sea dual USB plug.

Powerful enough to charge both my phone and chatterbox all day while using the phone as a GPS.

Looking at where you have that installed are there any clearance issues when you have cables plugged in. I looked at putting a 12v Cig plug there and it sure looked like anything that was hooked up would hit at full lock.
Havagan

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: 2002 VFR, 2006 FZ1
Miles Typed: 86

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 11:37:12 AM »

Looking at where you have that installed are there any clearance issues when you have cables plugged in. I looked at putting a 12v Cig plug there and it sure looked like anything that was hooked up would hit at full lock.

I haven't had any clearance issues BUT most the plugs on USB cables aren't as bulky as most cigarette plug accessories I've used.

Here's the cable with neutral steering position -- note that I secure my cables to the RAM mount to help keep them out of the way.

This is clearance at full left steering lock from the side and the top:

Fat AND slow!
DJ_Fission

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 2012 BMW R1200R
GPS: Wentzville, MO
Miles Typed: 44

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »

It's really interesting seeing all the different solutions everyone has come up with for this problem Smile

Member of: BMW Motorcycle Owners of Northeast Florida; BMWMOA; BMWRA
IBA Member #55835
"Hell is lit by nuclear power."
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: Yam XVS950, Ninja 650
GPS: SE Wisc
Miles Typed: 4807

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 12:18:02 PM »

FYI;  I've seen auto-cig-lighter to USB power adapters at some dollar stores.
I'm sure they don't provide more than an amp, but easily converted to a hard-wired USB power adapter.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
Douglas911

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: BMW R1200ST, K1200GT,R1100SBC,F800ST,R1,KLR650,M109R
Miles Typed: 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 11:30:47 AM »

Got a new to me bike and would like to connect up a USB charging port.  
On past bikes I used a powered tank bag with a 3 port cigarette receptacles. On this bike I would like to do it a bit cleaner, that and I don't think I want to use a tank bag on this one, well not just yet.

Spent a bit looking around and thought of a few options. The New to Me ride has a powerlet port up front but it would look tacky having wires hanging out all over the place. My thought so far is to have a USB power port tucked up close to the steering stem out of sight and when needed I could connect the charging cable to the phone or possibly the Sena on long rides.

So my question to all here on STN, anyone using a USB charging port? What are you using? if not got any ideas?

I've got what you are asking for at www.FarkleBar.com
Here is a direct link http://farklebar.com/usb12vto5vpowercord.aspx

Thanks,

Douglas
Andrew

Reputation 44

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 01:51:16 PM »

Well I ordered the BlueSea Dual USB charger socket. It came in the mail yesterday (Amazon)

It is too large to fit in the space I have Thumbsdown  I will eventually have a need for it so no worries.

THink I am going to try the FleaBay one next http://www.ebay.com/itm/350832446575?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649  
(should be here Oct 2nd) Besides at $3.39 and free shipping how could it possibly be a bad deal  Rolleyes

agent9

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 2004 Triumph Sprint ST
Miles Typed: 78

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 10:42:51 AM »

I installed the blue-sea version on my '04 Sprint. Only one location it would install flush. I had a different usb port but it was only 1A and couldn't keep up with charging when using my phone as a gps. Make sure to get one that does a min of 2.1A.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/16/7equ5uhe.jpg
rustbucket

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '04 KLR 650, '03 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Medford, MA
Miles Typed: 123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 07:01:58 AM »

Well I ordered the BlueSea Dual USB charger socket. It came in the mail yesterday (Amazon)

It is too large to fit in the space I have Thumbsdown  I will eventually have a need for it so no worries.

THink I am going to try the FleaBay one next http://www.ebay.com/itm/350832446575?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649  
(should be here Oct 2nd) Besides at $3.39 and free shipping how could it possibly be a bad deal  Rolleyes

The output on the fleabay one is listed as 3a - that seems strange. Isn't the spec 2.1a? is that likely to break things?
Andrew

Reputation 44

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 09:49:34 PM »

Flee-bay order has not arrived .
Well OK so it was less than $10 (and yes I put in for a refund through Flee-bay) OK I guess I should not expect tooooo much well aside from the actual product Rolleyes

The output on the fleabay one is listed as 3a - that seems strange. Isn't the spec 2.1a? is that likely to break things?

Not really the devise will only draw what it needs, if the output of the supply is less then YA Problem (over taxing the supply) , but if draw is less than max output no worries

Andrew

Reputation 44

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 12:17:12 PM »

refund from Flee-Bay

On to a new supplier

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal