Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: 990 Adventure v. 1200 GS  (Read 37761 times)

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 154

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 11656

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2009, 10:47:53 PM »

Once again, Triumph wasn't at the show (not that I was expecting them).  I'll test ride a Tiger over this season even if it means trading bikes w/ you for a while.   Bigok

Now, do you want the DR or the Super Duke?   Lol
Lawn Dart
I am BMW-K: I survived Christine's Wrath.

Reputation 45

Years Contributed: '07, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2012 Ducati Monster EVO; 2011 Yamaha WR250R
GPS: Anaheim Hills, CA
Miles Typed: 4444

My Photo Gallery

- C'mon Iron Horse! Go faster! Go Faster!

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2009, 10:57:24 PM »

Doug,

Just an FYI on the OEM GS Vario Cases:  Don't drop the bike.  The mechanism to expand the cases is really slick, yes.  But if you drop the bike it often jams the case mechanism and it won't expand.  That's the single biggest reason why many owners sell off the factory luggage and get something more substantial (Caribou's, Touratechs, Jesse's, Micatechs, etc.).

ATGATT 35:12-14
"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived, and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked, 
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 154

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2009, 11:00:27 PM »

Good to know.  I priced out the Touratechs in my spreadsheet.  

When you say people sell their factory luggage, does the bike come w/ luggage?  
XLR8
Does not wear Crocs

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: C14
GPS: Pacific Northwest
Miles Typed: 4075

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2009, 12:50:18 AM »

The ride leader said they all do that and if I thought it was bad to not try the SuperDuke!  Killed the desire I had for the bike.  Sooo disappointed.  But really really glad I got the opportunity to ride it before having put down my own cash.

I can't remember if I posted about this. There was a technical service bulletin issued by KTM for the FI over a year ago. They do not all surge however the FI could be smoother.
Rincewind

Reputation 122

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: BMW F700GS
GPS: SEPA
Miles Typed: 13697

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2009, 07:17:29 AM »

Once again, Triumph wasn't at the show (not that I was expecting them).  I'll test ride a Tiger over this season even if it means trading bikes w/ you for a while.   Bigok

Now, do you want the DR or the Super Duke?   Lol

Super Duke!  If you can't get a Tiger ride before the 09 Meet and East, I will try to hook you up.   Bigsmile
sagerat
Ural Tourist; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Reputation 10

GPS: Central Orygun
Miles Typed: 5612

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2009, 10:52:47 AM »

How do I look on it!?

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/Motorcycle%20Rides/2009/2009%20Bike%20Show/DSCN1198.jpg

Like a natural.  Purchase one immediately.   Thumbsup

Thanks for the pics.

The poster formerly known as VFRfan

Money can buy motorcycles, which means money can buy happiness
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 154

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2009, 07:38:57 PM »

Like a natural.  Purchase one immediately.   Thumbsup

Thanks for the pics.

I think I'm going to save it for you.  You deserve it more than me.   Bigok

Here are some additional images from the show...

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,35643.msg815604.html#msg815604

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 07:46:23 PM by R Doug » Logged
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: '04 BMW K1200RS, '05 BMW R1200GS, '07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
GPS: Escondido, CA
Miles Typed: 807

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2009, 09:14:07 PM »

Good to know.  I priced out the Touratechs in my spreadsheet.  

When you say people sell their factory luggage, does the bike come w/ luggage?  

No.  I've got a set of BMW side cases and mounts in excellent condition that I no longer need. I went with Jesse's since I ride off-road.
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 154

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2009, 09:48:09 PM »

No.  I've got a set of BMW side cases and mounts in excellent condition that I no longer need. I went with Jesse's since I ride off-road.

Thanks for answering my question.  Are your side bags for sale?
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: '04 BMW K1200RS, '05 BMW R1200GS, '07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
GPS: Escondido, CA
Miles Typed: 807

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2009, 10:29:20 PM »

Thanks for answering my question.  Are your side bags for sale?

Yes.
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 154

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2009, 10:32:43 PM »

Yes.

You're a man of few words, aren't you?   Lol
sagerat
Ural Tourist; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Reputation 10

GPS: Central Orygun
Miles Typed: 5612

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2009, 03:32:57 PM »

You're a man of few words, aren't you?   Lol

Washington hostess turns to President Coolidge, known as "Silent Cal," at a dinner party and pipes up with "Oh, Mr. Coolidge, I have bet my friends I can make you say three words tonight."

"You lose," was his reply.

The poster formerly known as VFRfan

Money can buy motorcycles, which means money can buy happiness
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 154

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2009, 08:07:55 PM »

I finally test rode both bikes today back-to-back.  I was able to do a 20 mile loop on each with a combination of urban traffic, country roads, and a few miles of interstate to check wind comfort.  

YMMV, but here are my conclusions...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First up was the BMW 1200GS.  The dealer had a used 2007 in stock with 5,500 miles on it.  

1)  The motor was much better than I thought it would be for me.  I had myself convinced it would feel a little too lethargic for me like a long stroke HD mill.  It did not and I was able to blip the throttle between quick downshifts w/ no delay from the motor.  And, being a boxster, it had great pull from the bottom and it didn't run out of breath like I thought it would on the top end.  It's a motor that I could see myself with all day long and for a long time.  It matches the bike perfectly.

2)  The ergos were VERY COMFORTABLE on the big GS.  It's the most comfortable bike Iíve ridden.  The wind protection was good too while on the interstate (which the bike will rarely see).  The only thing I didn't like about the ergos were the bars are a bit wider than I care to reach and the seating position is nearly vertical.

3)   After reading reports about numb steering input, I could see where people think that.  Yes, compared to a proper sportbike, the steering is more vague.  But, the bike feels planted and handles well when tossed into a corner.  Unlike my VFR, the front wheel does continue to understeer when pushed through a corner.  I could see how this fairly large bike could make a rider feel confident in twisties or sweepers.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After returning back to the dealer, I jumped on the KTM 990 Adventure and repeated the same 20 mile loop.  The 990 Adventure is a left over 2008 model with (now) 30 miles on it.  Basically, itís a new bike w/o the spider web paint scheme and a slightly smaller displacement compared to a 2009.

1)   I quickly decided that there is no better motor for me than an LC8.  Accelerating on the main road from the dealer lot, the LC8 put the same quirky smile on my face as is does for me while I ride the Super Duke.  Yes, without a smooth throttle hand, the FI can be a bit on/off feeling on this bike versus the carburetor-like FI of the Beemer.  But, the power, it's delivery, and sound are way too intoxicating.  I can quickly overlook the KTMís FI.  Plus, I personally don't have an issue with the KTM's FI.

2)   The ergos on the KayToM are much better than I expected.  The seat is a little less comfortable than the BMW, but itís equally as comfortable as the one on my Super Duke.  And I can go all day on the Super Duke without a complaint.  The foot to peg felt very similar to the Beemer as well as the wind protection.  The most noticeable difference to me between the two is the reach to the bars.  The KTM felt more compact and it had more of a sporty seating position which I prefer.  But, I donít have a material issue with the seating position of the BMW.  I could see myself on either bike all day for multiple days.  

3)   Unlike the plush feel of the BMW while cornering, the KTM has a quicker steering input and it gives you very positive feedback in the bars.  This, however, does not come without a compromise.  I did find the front end of the KTM to be quite twitchy at times.  A steering stabilizer would be nice for on-road use.  Handling wise, there is no comparison.  The KTM feels great when pushed into and all the way through a corner.  For me, the more feedback, the better.  

From a pure rideability standpoint, the KTM was better for me than the BMW.  Quite honestly, I was surprised.  Immediately after my 20 miles on the BMW, I told my wife and a friend James (RideWV), ďItís going to take a lot from the KTM to impress me after riding this GS.Ē  

The KTM did not disappoint.  The bottom line for me is the GS's motor and handling was better than I thought and the KTM's comfort was better than expected.  

The next consideration for me is price.  If I can find a deal on a leftover KTM, that would put the icing on the cake.  The nice thing about the BMW is there are plenty of ďbarleyĒ used GSs out there at really good prices.  Once the Honda VFR sells, Iíll start looking seriously and will hope the wife is still be on board w/ all it.   Lol  
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 09:48:17 PM by R Doug » Logged
XLR8
Does not wear Crocs

Reputation 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: July 25, 2009, 10:38:31 PM »

Well that VFR didn't last long.  Bigsmile
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 154

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2009, 05:40:21 AM »

Well that VFR didn't last long.  Bigsmile

I got such a sweetheart deal on the VFR, it's easy to let it go.  It's not the touring bike for me.  
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 79

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '00 Aprilia Mille, '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton
GPS: Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Miles Typed: 13962

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2009, 02:23:33 PM »

I got such a sweetheart deal on the VFR, it's easy to let it go.  It's not the touring bike for me.  

holy kwap  EEK!

I'm penciling you in to be the first VFX-1200 owner on ST.N  Bigsmile

just kidding. I'm jealous of guys that get a new bike every year  Smile

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 154

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2009, 03:00:41 PM »

holy kwap  EEK!

I'm penciling you in to be the first VFX-1200 owner on ST.N  Bigsmile

just kidding. I'm jealous of guys that get a new bike every year  Smile

Every year?  I've owned the Honda since March of 2009!  It's been 4 months.   Lol
xbud

Reputation 3

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: 09 Buell 1125CR
GPS: Greensburg, PA
Miles Typed: 363

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2009, 06:12:37 PM »

[Every year?  I've owned the Honda since March of 2009!  It's been 4 months.   /quote]

Wow, I envy you even more  Bigok

"Sometimes when you look into his eyes, you get the feeling someone else is driving."
XLR8
Does not wear Crocs

Reputation 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2009, 06:21:07 PM »

Can you comment why? I'm just curious, not because I'm a Honda fanboy but because I have both a 990 and VFR and I think the VFR is great for touring. Of course, the 990 is fun too...
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 154

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2009, 07:27:01 PM »

I purchased the VFR knowing I wouldn't have it long (1 year or less).  For the price I'm selling the luggage and the bike, I'll lose $300 + the cost I paid for a tire.  For me, it's like I rented the bike.  I've been very lucky to acquire bikes at the right price, take very good care of them, then sell them for a fair price and not lose a lot.  

Regarding why the VFR isn't a keeper for me, the bottom line is I really prefer the seating position of bikes like the Multi, Uly, 990 Adventure, etc...  I cannot find "all day" comfort on sport-touring and some liter bikes.  I was more comfortable on my Daytona 675 than the VFR because the seat to bars was much better for me.  The VFR, like my older ST3, has too far of a reach for me  Yes, I know I can get Helibars, but I know what I want.   For example, I knew the Super Duke was for me and after two years, it still is.  After riding the 990 Adventure and GS yesterday, I know they are the perfect touring bike for me.  

My goal for the last 18 months has been to sort out which touring bike I want, get it, and keep it for a long time.  I'll always have a Super Duke (or something similar) in the garage to go with a touring bike.  And with a 990 Adv or GS,  I can still explore unpaved roads as I mile much up the tarmac across the US and Canada.   Bigok

If I could have 5 bikes, I would.  But the truth of it is, I can handle 2-3 and that's it.  I'd rather have two really good bikes than a bunch of specialty bikes that are mediocre.  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal