2006 KLR650 - Modded For AdventurePrice Reduced to $3,500.
Well...I never thought I'd do it, but I'm ACTUALLY gonna sell my "faithful horse." Why? Because as much as I love it, and as many fantastic miles as I've experienced with it, I'm just not riding it much these days. I originally got it thinking I'd do more offroad riding; I did some, but not enough---and last year I got into mountain biking, which basically took the place of my offroad motorcycling jones.
As for pavement riding, the KLR is fine...but I also have a V-Strom 650, which is a better pavement bike (and I can take the V-Strom off-pavement in a pinch...if I'm careful!) I've also had dreams of a Copper Canyon ride or (even better) a ride to Argentina. I'm still definitely gonna do that before I die...but it's not gonna happen for a few years.
So here it is: a 2006 KLR650
, modded to the hilt, made into a serious adventure bike. Garage-kept its whole life
, and lovingly obsessed over by me (I'm the original owner). About 13,500 miles
. No major crashes (I dropped it once at a standstill, and laid it down on a patch of ice at 20mph...but thanks to all the armor, it didn't sustain a scratch.) Runs great (especially after the 22-cent carb mod!).
I paid $5900 for the bike (new) in early 2007.
I invested at least another $2500 in mods (not to mention a hundred hours or so of labor).
So that makes $8800 I've put into it.
With depreciation, mileage, and 4 years of time...I'd say...$
is a fair price.
I'm not likely to come down on the price
Though I hated to do it, I came down on the price! But I still love this bike and
getting a bit desperate for the money.
(I wouldn't be upset if nobody wanted it!)
The title is clean, by the way. No strings attached.
I live near Harpers Ferry, West Virginia.
I don't have a trailer...so you'd either have to come to me, or I'd be willing to ride to meet you (distance negotiable).
PM or Email me if you're interested!MODS
Eagle Mike doohickey installed at 3K miles (original doohickey was still in good shape)
Pro Taper SE ATV Mid handlebars
1" bar risers
Corbin flat seat
Caribou Pelican case (2 Pelican 1550 sidecases and racks)
Mounting plate for Givi E46 topcase
RAM ball mount for GPS or other accessory
Engine guard with Highway pegs
TPI Motorcycle Nerf bars
IMS serrated footpegs
ProGrip 714 replacement grips
Rear master cylinder guard
Progressive replacement front springs
Hypercoil 400lb, 9" replacement rear spring
New DID X-ring chain at 13K miles
mirror vibration dampeners
.22 carb mod (1 washer)
Watt Man's Thermo-Bob replacement thermostat
12V standard SAE socket
Magnetic drain plug
(all done myself with great care)
- mineral oil used for first 3K miles, then switched to Rotella-T Synthetic 5W-40
- oil changed religiously every 3-4K miles
- Valves checked at 3K, 9K, and 13K miles (always set to wide end of spec)
- Brakes bled once, fluid replaced
- Full swingarm maintenance at 12K miles (all bearings cleaned and greased, mounting bolts cleaned and greased)
- balancer tensioner bolt adjusted every 3K miles
- Coolant replaced at 6K and 13K miles
- fork oil replaced at 3K and 13K miles (7WT)
-----PARTS & ACCESSORIES
- stock seat
- stock foot pegs
- 16T countersprocket (brand new - never used)
- Eagle Mike prevailing nut for countersprocket (brand new - never used)
- original doohickey (on keychain)
- Galfer brake pads (brand new, never installed)
- replacement clock/voltmeter/thermometer (new in package)
- stock hand guards
- stock fork springs
- stock shock springEDIT:
After posting this ad, I realized I'd be willing to TRADE the bike (for another bike, of course). Top trade prospects include...
• Something better/roomier for 2-up riding (read: more powerful/comfortable than a V-Strom 650)
• A fun little sportbike
• A Ducati 748.