Welcome to ST.N
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
October 04, 2026, 08:47:52 pm
"A good long ride can clear your mind, restore your faith, and use up a lot of fuel."
Home
Forums
Photo Gallery
Login
Register
Shop @ MG.C
Shop @ ST.N
Contact
Sport-Touring.Net
»
The Club House
»
Manufacturer Row
»
Suzuki
» Topic:
Tell me about the DR650
Pages: [
1
]
Go Down
Print
Topic: Tell me about the DR650 (Read 4847 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
CosmicCowboy
Reputation 24
Offline
Motorcycles: 2007 FZ1
GPS: Tennessee
Miles Typed: 803
My Photo Gallery
Tell me about the DR650
«
on:
September 11, 2013, 10:15:13 am »
So, I have a potential trade offer for my V-Strom in the form of a 2005 DR650. Bike is fairly close to stock with 17500 miles. He had a new piston and rings put in at 16000 miles; is that typical for this bike? Any gotchas or pitfalls with this model? His cash differential is a little low, but if he doesn't mind me removing some of the extras from the Strom we can probably come to an agreement.
Logged
"See, it's kinda like some STN threads. When the pot stops steaming, hissing, spitting, and spewing, it's usually done." -ConPilot1
Sport-Touring
Advertisement
Sponsored Links
Remove Advertisements
garry
Bleeds Orange...
Reputation 95
Offline
Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036
My Photo Gallery
Re: Tell me about the DR650
«
Reply #1 on:
September 11, 2013, 10:24:52 am »
Aside being a budget dual sport, they're pretty reliable bikes. A bit heavy for single-track trail riding. The last big issue I'm aware of is the cylinder base gasket leaking and I'm sure the new gasket is on the 2005 model.
Logged
2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
spinalator
Man can not live on cheese alone...
Reputation 14
Offline
Years Contributed: '07, '08
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: Super Tenere
GPS: Regina, SK
Miles Typed: 1565
My Photo Gallery
Re: Tell me about the DR650
«
Reply #2 on:
September 11, 2013, 11:26:20 am »
My friend has a 2002 and it is his commute bike. He has not had oil issues, pistons or rings that I know of, but he does not do any offroad at all.
Logged
Advertisement
Gary B.
Reputation 9
Offline
Motorcycles: '15 Yamaha FJR1300A, '06 DR650
GPS: SE Wisconsin
Miles Typed: 722
My Photo Gallery
Re: Tell me about the DR650
«
Reply #3 on:
September 11, 2013, 01:16:52 pm »
I have 34,000 moles on mine, never had the motor apart. Why did it need a piston at such low mileage?
Logged
I'm not lazy, I just have advanced time-management skills.
APEowner
Reputation 3
Offline
Motorcycles: Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo
GPS: Beautiful Albuquerque, New Mexico
Miles Typed: 108
My Photo Gallery
Re: Tell me about the DR650
«
Reply #4 on:
September 11, 2013, 01:27:33 pm »
That's low mileage for piston and rings on any 4 stroke. I'd want to know a lot more about why that was done before I considered the swap. If they were in there fixing the base gasket and decided to change them while they had it apart then I wouldn't worry but there's really no other failure mode for rings and pistons that doesn't correlate with excessive wear on the bottom end.
Logged
CosmicCowboy
Reputation 24
Offline
Motorcycles: 2007 FZ1
GPS: Tennessee
Miles Typed: 803
My Photo Gallery
Re: Tell me about the DR650
«
Reply #5 on:
September 11, 2013, 01:33:16 pm »
I was kind of wondering about the piston. I knew 2 strokes often needed to be freshened up, but wasn't sure about this bike. Thanks for the input.
Edit: and the reason for the piston and rings is low compression. Previous owner, of course. I think I'll pass on this.
«
Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 01:42:19 pm by CosmicCowboy
»
Logged
"See, it's kinda like some STN threads. When the pot stops steaming, hissing, spitting, and spewing, it's usually done." -ConPilot1
APEowner
Reputation 3
Offline
Motorcycles: Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo
GPS: Beautiful Albuquerque, New Mexico
Miles Typed: 108
My Photo Gallery
Re: Tell me about the DR650
«
Reply #6 on:
September 11, 2013, 04:31:14 pm »
Quote
Edit: and the reason for the piston and rings is low compression. Previous owner, of course. I think I'll pass on this.
That's probably a good idea, all things considered.
Logged
falcofred
Reputation 5
Offline
Motorcycles: 2010 Multistrada 1200 S Touring, 07 KTM SuperDuke, 05 Suzuki DR650
GPS: Extreme N.E. Tennessee
Miles Typed: 1055
My Photo Gallery
Re: Tell me about the DR650
«
Reply #7 on:
September 11, 2013, 04:43:05 pm »
I just picked up a 2005 that looks showroom with 12,000 miles, a skid plate, bark busters, and case savers for $2650.
I added it to my Progressive Insurance Policy with my other bikes, but with just Liability, Fire & Theft and Progressive sent ME a check for $9.00!
The bike is lots of fun, I'm enjoying it.
Logged
How fast is too fast? How Young is too young? How High is too high?
expatbrit
Reputation 15
Offline
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '08 WR250X, '11 Mutleystrada S, ' 12 RC8R
GPS: 'Burque, NM
Miles Typed: 1401
My Photo Gallery
Not all who wander are lost. I probably am, though
Re: Tell me about the DR650
«
Reply #8 on:
September 12, 2013, 10:51:55 am »
Quote from: Gary B. on September 11, 2013, 01:16:52 pm
I have 34,000 moles on mine, never had the motor apart. Why did it need a piston at such low mileage?
That's a LOT of moles. You need more whack-a-mole practice.
Logged
Gary B.
Reputation 9
Offline
Motorcycles: '15 Yamaha FJR1300A, '06 DR650
GPS: SE Wisconsin
Miles Typed: 722
My Photo Gallery
Re: Tell me about the DR650
«
Reply #9 on:
September 13, 2013, 10:34:12 pm »
Quote from: expatbrit on September 12, 2013, 10:51:55 am
That's a LOT of moles. You need more whack-a-mole practice.
Can't believe I missed that...
Logged
I'm not lazy, I just have advanced time-management skills.
Oddball
Reputation 34
Offline
Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '12 Tiger 800 XC, '06 FZ1, '99 R1100RT-P
GPS: Stillman Valley, IL
Miles Typed: 1335
My Photo Gallery
Cats out of the bag just south of cheese.
Re: Tell me about the DR650
«
Reply #10 on:
September 14, 2013, 01:12:07 pm »
They're a hoot to ride.
«
Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 01:45:06 pm by Oddball
»
Logged
IBA# 22015
CosmicCowboy
Reputation 24
Offline
Motorcycles: 2007 FZ1
GPS: Tennessee
Miles Typed: 803
My Photo Gallery
Re: Tell me about the DR650
«
Reply #11 on:
September 17, 2013, 08:23:24 am »
Quote from: Oddball on September 14, 2013, 01:12:07 pm
They're a hoot to ride.
Yeah, looking in to a couple of others. Looks like the type of bike to meet my current needs.
Logged
"See, it's kinda like some STN threads. When the pot stops steaming, hissing, spitting, and spewing, it's usually done." -ConPilot1
Pages: [
1
]
Go Up
Print
Sport-Touring.Net
»
The Club House
»
Manufacturer Row
»
Suzuki
» Topic:
Tell me about the DR650
Jump to:
Please select a destination:
-----------------------------
The Open Road
-----------------------------
=> General Sport-Touring Discussion
-----------------------------
The Club House
-----------------------------
=> Pit Row
-----------------------------
The Open Road
-----------------------------
=> Beginner's Garage
=> Motorcycle Polls
-----------------------------
The Marketplace
-----------------------------
=> Bike Tech
-----------------------------
The Tech Zone
-----------------------------
=> Mods & Maintenance
=> Gadgets
=> Gear and Apparel
-----------------------------
The Open Road
-----------------------------
=> Ride Reports
-----------------------------
The Club House
-----------------------------
=> Iron Butt
===> Aprilia
===> BMW
===> Buell
===> Ducati
===> Honda
-----------------------------
Global Positioning
-----------------------------
=> U.S. Region 1
-----------------------------
The Club House
-----------------------------
===> Kawasaki
===> Moto Guzzi
===> Suzuki
===> Triumph
===> Yamaha
-----------------------------
Global Positioning
-----------------------------
=> U.S. Region 2
=> U.S. Region 3
=> U.S. Region 4
=> U.S. Region 5
=> U.S. Region 6
-----------------------------
The Lounge
-----------------------------
=> Off Topic Discussion
-----------------------------
Global Positioning
-----------------------------
=> Canada
=> Europe & U.K.
=> Australia & New Zealand
-----------------------------
The Club House
-----------------------------
===> KTM
===> Harley-Davidson
-----------------------------
The Marketplace
-----------------------------
=> Vendor, Group Buy, Member Offers
=> Bikes Only
=> Non-bike Items
-----------------------------
The Club House
-----------------------------
===> Other
-----------------------------
Administration
-----------------------------
=> Announcements & Rules
-----------------------------
The Open Road
-----------------------------
=> ST.N Rallies/Meets
-----------------------------
The Club House
-----------------------------
=> Dirt Lovers
===> Off Road Ride Reports
-----------------------------
The Open Road
-----------------------------
===> STN National
===> WCRM
===> ESTN
===> Borscht Burn
===> SNOB
-----------------------------
The Lounge
-----------------------------
=> EOE: Experts On Everything
-----------------------------
The Club House
-----------------------------
=> Manufacturer Row
-----------------------------
Sport-Touring.net Vendor Deals
-----------------------------
=> MOTORCYCLEiD
Loading...
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.
Terms of Use
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Your Privacy Choices
Manage Consent
SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal