Topic: Small SUV's  (Read 13948 times)

firefighterST

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: ST1100
Miles Typed: 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2015, 02:27:49 pm »

I drive an 02 RAV4 bulletproof little buggy.  I'm a fire chief and use my RAV4 to respond with it has full lights and siren.  Gets 25 mpg highway couldn't ask for better just my $.02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

MidLifeMike

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: buh bye XS750, hello FJ1100
GPS: Where men are men and moose are nervous.
Miles Typed: 347

My Photo Gallery

1984 FJ1100

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2015, 04:39:46 pm »

I drive an 02 RAV4 bulletproof little buggy.  I'm a fire chief and use my RAV4 to respond with it has full lights and siren.  Gets 25 mpg highway couldn't ask for better just my $.02

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am checking out used RAV/4's right now (2006 ~ 2010) instead of a life sentence financing a new compact sedan. The cargo and the AWD are appealing. The drop in MPG, not so much.
If you couldn't have a RAV/4, what would you be looking at?

Is it correct that RAV/4's AWD works in reverse and in the Honda CR-V it doesn't?

There are plenty of good people to be found. If you can't find one, then be one.
Baz

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR
GPS: St. Albert, AB, Canada
Miles Typed: 9065

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2015, 04:56:43 am »

So test drove many small SUV's.

The Rav 4 was typically Toyota. Built well but really 0 fun to drive. (And I am a Toyota fan & presently own one) Not horrible, just not fun.

Looked at the new Cherokee's but stupidly expensive (a trailhawk model runs you up against a Starter Grande Cherokee).  Either way out of her budget.

The Mazda Cx-5 was marvelous. Really well appointed, fun to drive. Competitive in price with most. About 34 K for the middle of the road model.

Then the largest surprise happened. We drove a Kia Sportage. Amazingly enough this thing comes well appointed, even in their base model. Very fun to drive with the base 2.4 liter engine, and I cant imagine how their turbo version performs which places it in the same quarter mile times with some of the old muscle cars. So like most people here I said what about re-sales values, quality, long term reliability? Believe it or not most reviews give this vehicle 4-5 stars and when you google looking for upset Kia owners you find very few complaints anywhere. I have approached a few owners in parking lots and everyone so far loves this thing. Comparing it with the Mazda, it comes in around 8 k less. (We are giving this thing serious consideration) Amazing enough, Kia has been building Mitsubishi Engines and Transmissions for many years and Mitsubishi does much metal work for Kia.

Also drove a 2016 Kia Sorento whish was amazingly well appointed for the dollar and is available with a 2.4 liter, 2.0 Turbo and a 3.3 Liter V-6 (Drove the V-6 version) Absolutely loved the thing but it's larger size took away some of the fun factor from the Sportage (which is basically the same platform only shorter & considerably lighter). Still is a vehicle I could put on my possibility list. Competes with the Mazda Cx-5 and is a couple of grand less even with the V-6.

I understand that Kia recently poached a whole bunch of Toyota Engineers that brought with them Toyota's quality control procedures. A lawsuit happened and Kia had to return the obtained quality manuals and promised not to look at them  Wink

This is why they went from a very lousy car company to winning awards in only 10 years. I was seriously impressed with how far Kia has come from the "pony" years. Oh, and it is actually "American Made" with a 10 year warranty. (I would be very interested to hear of any STN Kia owners comments)

Drove a Chevrolet Equinox and well it is getting long in the tooth. The base engine here is pretty weak also. Very heavy vehicle. A friend of mine has one and while it has treated him well, like I said it falls short for what is out there. Pricing seems to be pretty good here and probably quite negotiable from sticker prices. I think I would wait for a re-design from GM on these. Not bad but can you say 1990?

Also drove the Mitsubishi Outlander. Base 2.4 cylinder with CVT. Not a bad vehicle at all, and their CVT is livable as it mimics the shifting of a 6 speed automatic. It was ok, but very vanilla. Pricing was quite good here but not the value that Kia brings. Warranty equals that of Kia (10 Years) You can also get this with a V-6 with 6 speed auto which would make it a pretty nice ride.

The Ford Escape was stupidly Expensive when comparably equipped. Did not drive this one.

Still have the Honda on the to do list.

Hyundai is basically a Kia so did not drive any there.

Still may drive the VW Tiguan however one faces the VW transmission nightmares with their dual clutch automatics.  These are also insanely expensive when you add on a few accessories (at least they are here)

Advertisement

Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 267

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 2020 GSX-S1000
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 3299

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2015, 10:54:23 am »

Sounds like you are making this your retirement job!

But it's for the daughter so.............. Bigok
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 10:15:15 am by Blue is Best » Logged

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '16 1250 Bandit, '17 KTM SD GT
NotDeadYet

Reputation 8

GPS: over yonder
Miles Typed: 231

My Photo Gallery

I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2015, 01:00:15 pm »

I have a friend trying to convince me to buy his mint condition very low mileage 2008 Kia Sorento for my wife.  He has had it since new and has only put 20,000 miles on it.  It's a fully loaded model with the larger engine.  I haven't driven it yet but I have done lots of research.  Like you I was surprised, they seem to be a pretty well regarded vehicle.  I may have to pay him a visit to check it out.  Unfortunately he lives almost 6 hours away from me and it's not even interesting country.  He's  a rich farmer and he's got new car fever.  He says the Kia is a lot of car for the money and has always been pretty proud of it during the years he's owned it.  

There is no next time, it's now or never.
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2015, 01:14:06 pm »

Excellent follow up.  For some reason, I'm not that surprised to read what you have to say about the Kia.  They're darn good looking vehicles, that's for sure.

Regarding the Tiguan, I don't believe it comes with VW's dual clutch manual/auto box.  It comes with Tiptronic, not DSG.  Tiptronic is a regular auto with a torque converter lockout feature which allows you to "manually" changes gears.  The DSG gearbox is a hydraulically controlled manual gearbox which uses two clutches and, by default, is in "automatic" mode as the computer controls the sifts of the hydraulic clutches.  
caasland

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2011 N1K, 2001 SV650
GPS: Curvy part of Minnesota
Miles Typed: 273

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2015, 01:31:14 pm »

THE PROFIT always goes back to the generator of the item.

Hey, MLM, you are correct, I did not listen to a $%^&*( word Baz said. I READ EVERYTHING HE WROTE.

Hey, this is just like the ST.N from 2005! Nostalgia is kicking in ....
birdrunner

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, XR650L
GPS: Edmonton
Miles Typed: 4865

My Photo Gallery

I am firm in my indecision.

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2015, 06:58:57 pm »

Consider a Subaru.

The dealer was great when I asked for a test drive (see Andre  Bigok)

It was pretty nice.

I could eat a bowl of Alpha Bits and shit a better argument than that.
Baz

Reputation 23

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2015, 02:56:20 am »

I have a friend trying to convince me to buy his mint condition very low mileage 2008 Kia Sorento for my wife.  He has had it since new and has only put 20,000 miles on it.  It's a fully loaded model with the larger engine.  I haven't driven it yet but I have done lots of research.  Like you I was surprised, they seem to be a pretty well regarded vehicle.  I may have to pay him a visit to check it out.  Unfortunately he lives almost 6 hours away from me and it's not even interesting country.  He's  a rich farmer and he's got new car fever.  He says the Kia is a lot of car for the money and has always been pretty proud of it during the years he's owned it.  

Seriously, I would have never looked at one on my own but once I drove one, and was able to compare it to the big brands, I was amazingly surprised. Their base models are usually equal to the others middle road models an are a few Grande less.

My ex co-worker owned an early model Sportage which treated them very well. They bought a used Ford Escape and will be trading it in for a new Sorento. I have a few friends that purchased Hyundai's and all of them have had trouble free experiences.
Baz

Reputation 23

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2015, 02:57:47 am »

Is that Shaw? Lol
Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 267

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300 2020 GSX-S1000
GPS: Rio Rancho, NM
Miles Typed: 3299

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2015, 10:20:26 am »

Naw, I wasn't around back then. I think I started lurking around 2008 or 09. I just like to pick on Caasland! Not really.       Bigok

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '16 1250 Bandit, '17 KTM SD GT
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal