Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: what are the maintenance intervals/requirements for the big multistrada?  (Read 3195 times)

Dichotomous
Blue Bike Member #1

Reputation 9

Miles Typed: 685

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: June 25, 2007, 04:21:14 PM »

thinking about one of these as an alternative to the buell as the next bike, all the same geometry and everything as the new hypermotard just looks different, but how do they do as far as maintenance and durability?

Theres just something about a blue bike
Emerson00
Untitled member

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2006 Ducati MTS 1000S (Black)
GPS: Maryland's Eastern Shore
Miles Typed: 506

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 04:34:55 PM »

Same as other ducs for both. I've had a single issues with mine - stalling on idle - but it's been reliable aside from that. My dealer blew the repair originally, but it seems to be sorted now. At 10k miles, it's never left me stranded (had to keep the throttle up when it was stalling, but it always ran). It's been a good bike, lots of fun, always makes me smile. Inlove

If it weren't for the Norge, I'd be content to keep the Multi for a long, long time. Since I can't afford a new bike, I'm keeping the Multi for a long, long time anyway. Wink
atypical1

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 04:52:24 PM »

I have 22k miles on my '06 Multi and haven't had any big problems at all. I am not particularly good with my maint schedule. I do two a year at the shop but could get away with doing just one a year. I am pretty hard on my bike so can attest to the durability of the bike and the motor.
timatwood

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: ducati multistrada
Miles Typed: 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 02:08:59 PM »

Remember that the 07 models have the increased intervals of 7500 and 15000 miles for services. The '06 and earlier are 6000 and 12000, though supposedly the valve adjustments stabilize over time.

My '04 is not a poster-child of reliability due to two warranty engine issues (cylinder liner and valve guides), but it also never left me stranded prior to the fixes. I love riding it and plan on keeping it a long time (doing my own maintenance), though I am tempted by the new street triple (awesome motor).
chromekid01

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '05 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS/EX500 ninja race bike
GPS: Daytona Beach for now
Miles Typed: 394

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 05:38:55 PM »

I love my Multi i have had it under 5 months and have put just a little over 16K on it without much if any issues at all, i am also now 2500 over my 6k service and still no issues.
Since i work at a dealer and my bike is kept up by them i know that the 7500 between service is fine even for the Multi 1000ds (what i own) as Ducati didn't change anythingthat would add to the wear of the engine or lengthen the service interval other than lengthen the service interval.

just my .02

James Hiller
Ebay/Internet sales
Atlanta Triumph Ducati
678-904-1414
404-561-8614 (cell #)

The Parts Pimp!
Daytona BMW Ducati Triumph
http://stores.ebay.com/bmw-motorcycles-of-daytona
badger
*deleted*

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '07
Miles Typed: 1343

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 07:05:53 PM »

Mine's at 11K.  No problems with the bike.  I had some idle weirdness (like Emerson) which was not really resolved when I brought it in (same dealer as Emerson too, huh...).  Belts and valve checks is all it's needed, aside from an oil leak from a valve cover, after the previous valve check.

Awesome bike.  Great for everything but high speed freeway droning, and even that, it does fine (but not as well as my R1100S)

More than  satisfied Stner's
Emerson00
Untitled member

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 11:58:20 AM »

A friend of mine with a Multi has his back in the shop after service for idling/stalling problems, too...

There must be something with these motors? Mine and his were both declared to have "no valve guide issues"...

Of course, they've both been to the aforesaid common dealer. I'm going to Battley's for my 12k in a month or so if I don't trade this one first.  EEK!
chromekid01

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 12:01:06 PM »

Of course, they've both been to the aforesaid common dealer. I'm going to Battley's for my 12k in a month or so if I don't trade this one first.  EEK!

Find a better dealer is the best i could offer and if your gonna trade then you may want to look at the new 1100 multi, they have made alot of little changes that really work well for it to make it a lot better at what it does.

The Parts Pimp!
badger
*deleted*

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '07
Miles Typed: 1343

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 12:16:18 PM »

Find a better dealer is the best i could offer

That's what I did... Wink

More than  satisfied Stner's
chromekid01

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 12:20:46 PM »

And if anyone needs any help you guys have me, I love my Multistrada and i amalways here to help fellow Ducati,MV Agusta, Triumph, Husqvarna, and Moto Guzzi riders...

The Parts Pimp!
Emerson00
Untitled member

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 12:30:54 PM »

Hence: Battley's for the 12k service.

Of course it's your ass if they aren't as good as you guaranteed.  EEK! Wink
falcofred

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2010 Multistrada 1200 S Touring, 07 KTM SuperDuke, 05 Suzuki DR650
GPS: Extreme N.E. Tennessee
Miles Typed: 1055

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 12:36:09 PM »

Love my 04 Strada, Myers Ducati in Asheville replaced the original side stand with the 05 side stand under warranty, I installed a Sargent seat, the owner before me (first 8000 miles) installed the Temigoni exhaust, Ducati Performance ECU, air box and Ducati hard saddle bags.
The bike has never left me stranded, I do the 6000 mile maintenance myself with the exception of the valve check, which I let Myers do. It's only needed one valve adjusted in the first 18,000 miles.

How fast is too fast? How Young is too young? How High is too high?
jim williams

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 112

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 10:39:49 AM »

And if anyone needs any help you guys have me, I love my Multistrada and i amalways here to help fellow Ducati,MV Agusta, Triumph, Husqvarna, and Moto Guzzi riders...
alright, thanks for the help!

Seems you might have the answers I'm looking for, so, here goes. I'll be trading in my R1200GS for a new bike. The short list among a couple others is a 07 Multistrada and Tiger 1050. One of the things I dislike about my BMW is the frequent service intervals. Who has time ($$$?) to go spend at the dealer that often? It appears Ducati is getting better in that regard. How about Triumph?

I do a mix of city, twistees, back roads and, uhh, slab. I'm looking for reliability, comfort for the slab, decent wind protection, short service intervals (if that exists!), and, I want to be excited when I get on the bike! Something my BMW has never done for me. It does everything well, but, is just kinda boring about how it does it! Reliability is my biggest concern with both of these bikes.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!
chromekid01

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 10:54:28 AM »

Seems you might have the answers I'm looking for, so, here goes. I'll be trading in my R1200GS for a new bike. The short list among a couple others is a 07 Multistrada and Tiger 1050. One of the things I dislike about my BMW is the frequent service intervals. Who has time ($$$?) to go spend at the dealer that often? It appears Ducati is getting better in that regard. How about Triumph?

I do a mix of city, twistees, back roads and, uhh, slab. I'm looking for reliability, comfort for the slab, decent wind protection, short service intervals (if that exists!), and, I want to be excited when I get on the bike! Something my BMW has never done for me. It does everything well, but, is just kinda boring about how it does it! Reliability is my biggest concern with both of these bikes.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

Ok let me try to help then, First off let me say sorry that the GS didn't thrill you.
Service intervals are at a regular pace no matter what make you choose however i beleive that Triumph would be the most extended of the bikes you have chosen, now as for your bike requirements the Multi and the 1050 Tiger both will fill the bill quite nicely, the Ducati is a twin the triumph a triple and the power and torque is close between them.
The Ducati (i ride a Multi) is doing alot better with service interval of 7500 miles (as if thats not long enough) hell most people sell their bikes long before that number anyway (people look at me funny cause i have put 10k on my bike in 4 months) the Duct is more fun has more soul and character than the Tiger.

Get to a Dealer and test ride them both get as much seat time on them as you can and then get either cause they are both great.
The side cases on the Ducati are equal volume both sides cause of under seat exhaust unlike the triumphs little cases.

Call me if you need anything else for sure.

James Hiller
Ebay/Internet sales
Atlanta Triumph Ducati
678-904-1414
404-561-8614 (cell #)

The Parts Pimp!
desert_rider
When in doubt - keep moving!

Reputation 18

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s, 1977 Yamaha XS360
GPS: Yucca Valley, SoCal
Miles Typed: 2307

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 02:32:28 PM »

Have you looked at the '08 Buell Ulysses?  I think they've got it down to just oil changes.  No valve adj. or thottle body syn.

IBA#39121
chromekid01

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 02:58:56 PM »

Have you looked at the '08 Buell Ulysses?  I think they've got it down to just oil changes.  No valve adj. or thottle body syn.

BAH, i have ridden the ULY and it sure isn't a Multistrada or a TIGER

The Parts Pimp!
desert_rider
When in doubt - keep moving!

Reputation 18

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2000 Suzuki Bandit 1200s, 1977 Yamaha XS360
GPS: Yucca Valley, SoCal
Miles Typed: 2307

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 03:06:37 PM »

BAH, i have ridden the ULY and it sure isn't a Multistrada or a TIGER

After reading your signature line - aren't you a little biased?

:pokestick:

IBA#39121
chromekid01

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 03:24:49 PM »

After reading your signature line - aren't you a little biased?

:pokestick:

Biased who me  Bigsmile never...

The Parts Pimp!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal