Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: SJCAM SJ4000 Action Camera  (Read 2438 times)

cyjo

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 2002 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Thurmont, MD
Miles Typed: 750

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: June 25, 2015, 10:41:25 PM »

I was wondering if any of you guys have tried this camera? It is similar in format to the gopro but way less expensive. $70 here at B&H:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1072775-REG/sj4000_sj4000_action_camera.html

Looks like it uses the same mounting stuff as the gopro. A few comparisons on youtube also look good. Any thoughts?

“More than anything else the sensation is one of perfect peace mingled with an excitement that strains every nerve to the utmost, if you can conceive of such a combination.” - Wilbur Wright
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

miles

Reputation 67

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: A couple of them.
Miles Typed: 12999

My Photo Gallery

Triangles are my favorite shape

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 11:08:59 PM »

That's the pricing and feature set that the GoPro should have.  Odds are it's made in the same factory in China as well.

Three points where two lines meet
cyjo

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 11:16:04 PM »

Wish I had seen this before I got my gopro. I just don't have a need for a second cam yet.

“More than anything else the sensation is one of perfect peace mingled with an excitement that strains every nerve to the utmost, if you can conceive of such a combination.” - Wilbur Wright
Advertisement

MidLifeMike

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: buh bye XS750, hello FJ1100
GPS: Where men are men and moose are nervous.
Miles Typed: 335

My Photo Gallery

1984 FJ1100

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 01:36:14 AM »

There are many, many comparisons available online of the SJCAM units vs GoPro vs Mobius (as a popular 3rd option). The one I am looking at is the Mobius.
The cheap ones IMO are a great way to try out the whole bike cam thing and decide if it's something you want to pursue. If the novelty wears out for you, like I've seen often, you won't have tied up hundreds of dollars in a GoPro that just got made obsolete by yet another "best one yet" model.

It's hard to overlook that the latest GoPro units stay ahead in resolving shadow detail in difficult lighting, but by such a slight margin, I don't think it justifies the 4x cost difference.
They all seem to put their own distinct color shift/saturation on the results. If you are just going to shoot and share, it's which hue you can live with. For myself, any video is going to be edited with frequent cuts, changes in angle and a few sound tracks, so I can tweak it then.

Just my preference, I'd sooner own 4 Mobius cameras for the same money and mount them in different places around the bike and I would blend the clips later.

There are plenty of good people to be found. If you can't find one, then be one.
adurbin

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2013 Versys
Miles Typed: 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 02:18:30 PM »

My best friend and riding buddy uses the SJCam. After seeing it, and seeing the video quality, there is NO WAY I would pay the premium price for a go pro. I actually think the video quality on the SJCAM is better than most GoPros I've seen.
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 158

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12007

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 02:45:48 PM »

Depending on what you want to do, the SJ4000 may be the best choice for you.  It does cost 1/2 as much as the cheapest GoPro model and you can get decent video quality for the price.  

I'll stick with my GoPro for now and if I'm in the market to replace the GoPro today, I'd get another.  It's been 100% bullet proof and the video quality is still better than its competition.  Plus, if you're ever into editing and adding any slow-motion playback, the detail of the GoPro and it's FPS capability make it a better choice.

https://www.pretzellogix.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/sj4000-resolution-comparison.jpg

cyjo

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 10:54:52 PM »

I see what you mean. I like my gopro and in the last couple years I have had no issues. Except my inept ability to edit. My videos always seem to have some pixelation after editing and uploading to youtube. Can't seem to get the settings right when exporting.

Virginian

Reputation 16

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '15 KTM 1290 Super Adventure, '09 Yamaha Tmax
GPS: The Virginian
Miles Typed: 1984

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 10:08:17 AM »

I've been using a SJCAM SJ 4000 for about a year now and love it. No issues but i should note I didn't get the wifi version. I didn't want it actually. I use it for kayak fishing, quads and on my bike. Cheap, gets the job done and I'm not out a ton of $$ if something bad happens to it. I ordered mine through banggood.com.

Eric

When the world ends, the only thing left will be cockroaches riding Guzzis. http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i150/garrysimmons/MotoPhoto2009/BurgerRun2009/BurgerRun2009_128.jpg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal