Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Shoei Pinlock lens users—how do you carry it?  (Read 3512 times)

SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '07 Wee-Strom Past: '06 VFR800, '06 KLR650
GPS: Eugene, OR
Miles Typed: 4191

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2016, 02:59:06 pm »

So my new Shoei Neotec helmet came with a Pinlock lens (which is great), but I'm wondering how to carry the thing? If anyone else out there uses one, how do you carry it when you're not using it?

Do you just keep it in the folded paper it came in? Shoei specifically says the pinlock lens isn't as scratch-resistant as the regular visor...so you'd think they'd give you a little microfiber bag to slip it into when you're not using it...

Scott

"I wanted to write a shorter letter, but didn't have time." —Abraham Lincoln
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

coho
Just here for the pie.

Reputation 26

Motorcycles: BMW R1100RT Yamaha StFU200 ("the dumbbike")
GPS: is for people who can't read maps (PNW)
Miles Typed: 2758

My Photo Gallery

I see what you did there.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 03:19:42 pm »

Once installed I've never removed a Pinlock except for cleaning.

"Always be yourself. Unless you suck, then be somebody else."

"My anecdotal evidence can beat up your anecdotal evidence."
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 05:26:23 pm »

Once installed I've never removed a Pinlock except for cleaning.

Ok, I was wondering about that. I haven't actually installed mine yet...and was wondering if it was a "use it only when you need it" accessory? Or just "set it and forget it?"

I'd think it would reduce the clarity of your visor (just having two layers)...but maybe it doesn't?

Scott

Advertisement

Cricket1

Reputation 35

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '15 Yamaha FJ09
GPS: Ohio
Miles Typed: 798

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 05:39:52 pm »

Scott-

Just like Coho, once installed, I've never removed it.

Also, if you even LOOK at it the wrong way, it will scratch!!  The only way I would even consider cleaning it would be to remove,  put under running water, and then air dry. DO NOT try and wipe it dry with anything.  Trust me, I've ruined one that way. Wink

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Winston Churchill
SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 06:02:55 pm »

I found a long thread on some other motorcycle forum, and most folks there said the same: they put it on and never take it off.

I'm kinda torn; I've heard the Pinlock works really well. But I'm a stickler for 100% clear vision when riding...and I'm wondering if I'd be annoyed by having the "oval line" around my visor in good weather?

I used to use the Respro Foggy Mask, and it worked flawlessly. But I stopped using it when I started wearing a flip-up.

Does having it on in good weather bug anyone? (I read too that occasionally the pinlock can touch the main visor, creating some funky little spots—but doesn't seem common.)

Scott

Cricket1

Reputation 35

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '15 Yamaha FJ09
GPS: Ohio
Miles Typed: 798

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 07:59:16 pm »

The pinlock does affect the optical clarity somewhat.  I took it off and did notice it was sharper.  Problem is that the visor then fogged up, ALOT!  I am a heavy mouth breather,  Bigsmile,  and would not have a helmet without the pinlock, optical clarity be dammed. (It really is a very minor difference, and to me worth the trade off)

We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.
Winston Churchill
PatM

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: BMW R1200RT 2016
GPS: Montreal, Canada
Miles Typed: 1009

My Photo Gallery

On the road again

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 10:30:09 pm »

Just leave it there, you'll get used to it. I know I did.

Ride safe!
Canuck

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 2014 Triumph Tiger 800, 72 Bonneville, 69 Royal Enfield Interceptor
GPS: Saskatchewan Canada
Miles Typed: 786

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 02:08:48 pm »

I have taken it off and carried it in the past, and when I have done that, I have carried it in a clean and previously unused ziplock bag, which works fairly well, but still leads to some scratching. Don't use a microfiber bag or cover. Every little piece of lint will tend to stick to the inside of the fog shield, and if you try to clean the lint off, it will scratch.

I don't like having the pinlock shield on when it is not raining or foggy, or at night. What I do now is just leave it on and carry a second shield without a pinlock. Then I can just switch out the shields depending on the conditions. It costs a bit more, but the shields have a longer life if you aren't using them all the time.

Do check to make sure the fog shield is firmly seated against the shield, or you will get moisture build up under the fog shield and you will have to take it off. The instructions tell you about how to deal with this.

"Just like the sky, the road never ends." R. L. Castleman, Gravity
rdg20

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2010 Yamaha FJR1300, 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750
Miles Typed: 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 06:33:52 pm »

I carry the pinlock lens in a soft cotton sweatsock. I put each lens and shield in an individual sock and then put these in a large plastic zip-lock bag. I always carry a spare shield - just in case. So far I haven't had a problem with scratches.
caddydaddy

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
GPS: Harlingen, Texas USA
Miles Typed: 1301

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 09:44:28 am »

I also have a Neotec with the pinlock, and I've never taken it out.  It's clear to look through, and I can't complain about visibility.  There's some scratches and a small pebble dent I look at, but that's on the main visor.
  I keep the pinlock installed because of how frequently the weather changes and the chance of fogging.  I've never had the inside of my visor fog up, so it has worked great!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 10:36:11 am by caddydaddy » Logged

2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15423

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 09:54:41 am »

Just leave it there, you'll get used to it. I know I did.

Withstupid

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
ManWorkingHere

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: Kawasaki Concours 2001
Miles Typed: 184

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 11:38:05 am »

A)  I also have a Neotec with the pinlock, and I've never taken it out.  It's clear to look through, and I can't complain about visibility.  

B) I keep the pinlock installed because of how frequently the weather changes and the chance of fogging.  I've never had the inside of my visor fog up, so it has worked great!

A)  +1.  The Pinloc insert sits so close to your eyes once installed that its border is not visible after a while.

B)  +1.  I keep mine installed all the time.  In fact, the sun visor will fog up in my Neotec while the Pinloc stays clear.  So I squint for now until I order a spare tinted faceshield with its own Pinloc insert.  I carried a spare shield and insert on my HJC IS-BT modular before this Neotec.
sagerat
Ural Tourist; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Reputation 12

GPS: Central Orygun
Miles Typed: 5684

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 07:27:51 pm »

Installed and left it on.  I live in the dust of the Central Oregon High Desert and eventually fine particles get in between the Pinlock and the shield.  I've also had a small flat bug or two get in there as well.

In the night or low light there is some slight distortion.

I'm about 80% sold on Pinlocks, but in some ways I prefer my clear Fog City inserts.

The poster formerly known as VFRfan

Money can buy motorcycles, which means money can buy happiness
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal