Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: dl google maps to phone  (Read 1512 times)

Talonz

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: n1k
Miles Typed: 5

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2016, 01:50:41 PM »

Ok so I stumbled onto an interesting (I thought) addition to google maps, the 'send to device' hotlink buried in the middle of the right directions bar.

I tried this out after linking my phone to my google account, and I could send a map of directions to my phone via text.  I could then open it in maps, but everytime it would say 'couldn't find 2131243243252352' etc., even though the end point was showing at the end of a pile of numbers.

Has anyone made this work??

This would be !@#%ing ideal if I could customize some map directions and download to my phone.  I dont want to add another device to my bike nor have to pay extra if I can help it (well not what garmin and tomtom are asking anyways).
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

mellow_gold
Will ride for food

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2002 VFR800 ABS, 2003 DRZ400S
GPS: Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Miles Typed: 566

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 12:05:12 AM »

I've used it on my android phone (Nexus 5) and it's great!  I don't get a text though...I just click "send to device" on my laptop and when it hits my phone I get a notification which I can click and it opens in the navigation app.
cyjo

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 2002 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Thurmont, MD
Miles Typed: 748

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 11:15:35 AM »

what kind of phone are you using? I just tried it and it texted me a link and zoomed right to it in my maps app. Have you updated the app in your phone?

“More than anything else the sensation is one of perfect peace mingled with an excitement that strains every nerve to the utmost, if you can conceive of such a combination.” - Wilbur Wright
Advertisement

Talonz

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 11:40:27 AM »

lg optimus, android.

Try sending directions for a custom multi destination map.  I cant even get google maps to send those now, it says it cant handle multi destinations.

I just send a very simple a to b and that worked, but that doesnt help, I couldve done that right on my phone.
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: Yam XVS950, Ninja 650
GPS: SE Wisc
Miles Typed: 4955

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 03:55:57 PM »

Not sure if this will work for you, because you don't say what you want to do with the route on your phone, but you can plan a route on Furkot.com (free) and then load the route on your phone with the Furkot app (free).
The app downloads the routes, so you don't need any cell access after that.
http://help.furkot.com/features/mobile-apps.html

I don't do this, but I do make routes on Furkot and put them on my Garmin Nuvi.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
Talonz

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 04:18:01 PM »

What I want to do is download custom routes based on my destination highways maps and have them loaded, so that I dont have to turn roaming on to get a map that takes the shortest route anyways...a to b doesnt work, I want to hear directions for my custom route.

I thought google maps would do that but it doesnt want to work for anything but the simplest route right now...

EDIT

Ok so this just doesnt work outside of simple A to B.  It wont send multiple destinations at all, the option to sent to device greys out.  If you pull and drag around the map to get the custom route without adding multiple destinations, it sends something the phone based app cant understand, spits out a bunch of numbers and switching to navigation gets a 'no route found, we couldnt understand the destination' msg.

Sigh.  I give up.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:29:38 PM by Talonz » Logged
SLK50

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: '06 FJR
GPS: Altoona, PA
Miles Typed: 1157

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 06:57:20 PM »

I hate to tell you this, but even a cheap GPS
will do a better job than your phone,
loading custom routes.
mellow_gold
Will ride for food

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2002 VFR800 ABS, 2003 DRZ400S
GPS: Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Miles Typed: 566

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 08:06:27 PM »

It will do custom routes but *not* multiple destinations on my phone...could be you just have an older Maps app.  I put in my origin/destination and then drag/drop the route on the roads I want to take and my phone follows it exactly (although it frequently asks me if I want to take a faster route).  It's a little more work than just plugging in multiple destinations but it still works well in my experience.
mica

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: VStrom 1000
GPS: Undisclosed, Va
Miles Typed: 91

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 05:02:53 PM »

Ditto. I have used custom route with a single destination, worked fine.

Nothing clever
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal