Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: 1098, any impressions from those who have ridden it...  (Read 2164 times)

B-rent
a demonic krispy kreme

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 06 Sprint ST, 08 WR250R
GPS: Frederick, MD
Miles Typed: 627

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2007, 06:33:22 PM »

So has anybody taken this beast out for a test ride? Anyone own one? It's such a beautiful bike and has such great specs I'd just like to hear it from the horses mouth. Please, do tell!  Inlove   Lol  I'd like to hear comparisons to other sportbikes you've ridden and lists of your likes and dislikes.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 06:35:02 PM by B-rent » Logged

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.  -Steven Wright
ducsbill

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '07 Ducati MTS 1100S, '05 Ducati ST3
GPS: Rantoul, Il
Miles Typed: 213

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 06:57:37 PM »

Check the Superbikes forum over at http://www.ducati.ms...
Bill W.

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it.", Yogi Berra
'07 Ducati MTS 1100S, Black
'05 Ducati ST3, Black
atypical1

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 06:58:19 PM »

My buddy just bought one and I have ridden it through some nice canyons at a pretty good clip on several occasions now.

My quick impressions:

1. The motor is solid and pulls well. The power is not overwhelming at all but it still goes like hell. I was really impressed at how fast you can go quickly. I still think it is down some on a GSXR thou but not terribly so and you have to be really pushing it on the street to notice. On the track you would feel the difference depending on how big the straight is.
2. The brakes get better the more you get used to them. The first time that I rode the bike I thought I was going to go over the handlebars. The next time I rode the bike I learned how to use them to shed speed as opposed to just stopping the bike NOW. I really, really like the brakes now and find myself using them more even if they are barely being applied.
3. The chassis is very stable at speed and it holds a line well. I went over some pretty rough roads and did not find the bike jumping around too much. It also did not feel that bumpy (unlike my old 748). He has the base model so I suspect the S model to be even better.
4. The finish of the bike is generally good but it does not feel as well put together as a 916 or 996. But I am an old school guy.
5. I don't care for the dash. The numbers are not that easy to read at a glance and I wish they kept an analog tach. I bounce it off the rev limiter so the shift light is not really in the right place for me. It does have some cool features like a "miles ridden since fuel light came on" indicator.
6. I think that it compares favorably to other brands and especially so at the price it currently is. If it got too much more expensive then I would say that it might not be worth it. I mean sport bikes are supposed to be about having the latest performance (well, to me they are).
7. He has a quick shifter on his bike so I can't speak to the gear changes. I will say that the quickshifter is a great thing to have.
8. There are some problems with stalling on certain bikes. His bike is stock so he is not having that issue. There is no Power Commander out yet and there might be some difficulty with getting one because of the closed system.

Again, overall I really like the bike and if I wanted a pure sport bike then it would definitely be on my short list.

james
B-rent
a demonic krispy kreme

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 04:20:40 PM »

I checked that link ducsbill. Thanks. I browsed through the superbike forum like you said. The thread on the 1098 seems to be filled with commentary from people's opinions on the look of the bike. The overall feeling I got was that people were put off that Ducati had made a bike, even a good bike, that looked like a Japanese bike. That's not a discussion I'm really interested in at the moment. That's not to say it's not a good discussion, I was just wanting to hear impressions from anyone who had actually ridden it.

Atypical1, I was surprised to hear the power was not overwhelming. But then again, Ducati's have a way of masking their power with finesse. You probably were taking it easy on the new engine too huh? That's great the suspension is tuned so well, for real word riding that is. I hadn't heard of a stall problem.

Am I to believe that no one else in the Ducati forum has ridden a 1098?!  Come on!  Confused

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.  -Steven Wright
bizarro

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 04:38:05 PM »

There is a Seattle STNer who's had one for some time but he's not active on the board much.
sfarson
On a Ride

Reputation 21

GPS: Rockies
Miles Typed: 321

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 06:52:43 PM »

Am I to believe that no one else in the Ducati forum has ridden a 1098?!  Come on!  Confused

Not the only one.  Possibly the finest sport ride I've ever had in the barn here.

The Colorado Book
UFO

Reputation 184

Motorcycles: Duc MTS1200R
GPS: Here in the now...
Miles Typed: 13096

My Photo Gallery

Teh rainbows!!

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 06:54:35 PM »

Not the only one.  Possibly the finest sport ride I've ever had in the barn here.

High praise...considering you've owned about every bike made. Lol

Neal
InfiniSpace.Net - A site for geeks/nerds
B-rent
a demonic krispy kreme

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 06:58:36 PM »

GAWD that is beautiful. Nice pic sfarson!  Hail

JoBu
Breakin' Wind

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '07
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '01 Yamaha R1; '06 Goldwing; '07 Speed Triple (Roulette Green); '07 Yamaha FJR1300AE; '08 Suzuki B-King (Black)
GPS: Space Coast, FL
Miles Typed: 1219

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 09:44:05 AM »

Withstupid  Beautiful bike.  I hope I get a chance to test one out in the near future.  Has anyone seen the yellow ones (in person)?  I talked to someone who had and they said they were stunned over how sexy it looked in the flesh, so to speak.

Cheers,

Joe

PS.  Yeah, I know...Ducs are supposed to be red.  But a little variety never hurt anyone, right?   Shrug

“It was the kind of crowd that would have made the Fool Killer lower his club and shake his head and walk away, frustrated by the magnitude of the opportunity.”
badger
*deleted*

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '07
Miles Typed: 1343

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 09:59:49 AM »

+2 Drool

At VIR this summer:

More than  satisfied Stner's
mcskeeto

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2004 Aprilia RSV Fctory 2007 Ducati 1098s Tricolor
Miles Typed: 29

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 07:40:46 PM »

I've had my tricolor for about 3 months now and in one word AWESOME. Simply the best handling, best looking and best engine of any bike I've owned. And beyond that, it is comfortable enough for me to ride all day. Have done several 400-500 mile days on it. This bike has totally transformed me as a ider. Has made me want to take serious steps to make myself better so that I feel worthy to own and ride it. It will always be way better than me but I can still try.
brianhe

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: Ducati 1098 (ex Honda ST1100)
GPS: Kirkland, WA
Miles Typed: 216

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 05:31:20 PM »

I've had my tricolor for about 3 months now and in one word AWESOME. Simply the best handling, best looking and best engine of any bike I've owned. And beyond that, it is comfortable enough for me to ride all day. Have done several 400-500 mile days on it. This bike has totally transformed me as a ider. Has made me want to take serious steps to make myself better so that I feel worthy to own and ride it. It will always be way better than me but I can still try.

As another 1098 owner, I feel the same way.  The bike is way out of my league but part of the reason I bought it is to experience a different level of riding from my old sport-touring rig.  People ask me if I'm going to do track days and I'm not sure what to say yet.  On the one hand it's the natural place for a machine like this to live; on the other hand I don't think I could bear to take the chance to wreck it.  Yes, trackdays are supposed to be safe etc. but 1) lots of folks I know have taken spills on the track and 2) I personally have wrecked a car doing autocross, which is also supposed to be virtually risk-free.  So ... I'm kind of abusing the Ducati with daily driving and the spirited, backroads riding which is its forte comes when it can.

As for specifics -- there are a lot of good and bad things about it to say.  Good:  light and responsive with telepathic steering and incredible brakes, massive power, sounds and looks great.  Not so good:  tiny gas tank/range, weight on wrists is high, rider's crouch is hard on my middle-aged neck and knees after a while, zero storage, and mirrors vibrate excessively on the highway.  Other sportbikes are definitely more sensible and practical, especially for sport tourers (GSXR 1000 has an especially good reputation for comfort) but they just didn't appeal to me at the gut level like this does.
mcskeeto

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2004 Aprilia RSV Fctory 2007 Ducati 1098s Tricolor
Miles Typed: 29

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 05:38:29 PM »

As another 1098 owner, I feel the same way.  The bike is way out of my league but part of the reason I bought it is to experience a different level of riding from my old sport-touring rig.  People ask me if I'm going to do track days and I'm not sure what to say yet.  On the one hand it's the natural place for a machine like this to live; on the other hand I don't think I could bear to take the chance to wreck it.  Yes, trackdays are supposed to be safe etc. but 1) lots of folks I know have taken spills on the track and 2) I personally have wrecked a car doing autocross, which is also supposed to be virtually risk-free.  So ... I'm kind of abusing the Ducati with daily driving and the spirited, backroads riding which is its forte comes when it can.

As for specifics -- there are a lot of good and bad things about it to say.  Good:  light and responsive with telepathic steering and incredible brakes, massive power, sounds and looks great.  Not so good:  tiny gas tank/range, weight on wrists is high, rider's crouch is hard on my middle-aged neck and knees after a while, zero storage, and mirrors vibrate excessively on the highway.  Other sportbikes are definitely more sensible and practical, especially for sport tourers (GSXR 1000 has an especially good reputation for comfort) but they just didn't appeal to me at the gut level like this does.

Funny, exactly what I'm going through right now. I am already doing track days- have 2 days at VIR this weekend. I'm using my 2004 Aprilia RSV Factory for the track however. Track riding is so addictive. I count the days to my next track session. If you're going to take the bike on the track, I would definitely get some race bodywork to spare your expensive bodywork. I think you can get a full set of Sharksinz bodywork for the 1098 for $800-900. That with frame and swingarm sliders and you should be good to go. I'm looking for a used 999 and GSXR 750 to make into track bikes as well and probably will sell my Aprilia.
Bodhi
Incurable Cynic

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '06, '08
Motorcycles: '05 Ducati ST3
GPS: Raleigh, NC
Miles Typed: 3281

My Photo Gallery

Don't let your Karma run over your Dogma!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 08:33:47 PM »

I'm toying with the idea of trading in my ST3 for one.  Drool

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/dogbert1/Funny%20Pics/POLICE1-SMALL_1.jpg   I might not live forever, but I'm going to die trying
sarjx1

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2007 Ducati 1098, 2000 Ducati ST4, 2000 Buell X-1 Lightning
Miles Typed: 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 12:52:32 AM »

I received my 1098 in March and love it.  Motor is great and sounds sweet with the Termis on it.  Not exactly comfortable but I am more than willing to put up with a little discomfort.  Yes, my ST4 is much better for distances but the 916 motor feels absolutely sluggish compared to the 1099cc in the 1098.

Here it is at a Ducati club photo shoot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal