Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: any one know of good way of letting spouses phone to track me on a ride?  (Read 2767 times)

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 158

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12007

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2016, 07:37:15 AM »

If you want something that's going to be near 100% reliable to tracking, get a SPOT or InReach.  On my last two big trips out west, most of which had very spotty cell service or none at all, the SPOT tracked my location every 10 minutes and provided an update to my wife if she logged on to the website.  Also, there's the "check in" button which I can have the SPOT send a quick "all good" message to my wife's cell phone via the touch of a button (even on the fly).  Plus, there are two other custom messages you can send to whomever you choose.  And, finally, there's the Hand of God SOS button which will dispatch a Search and Rescue team to you.

The annual contract, including the SAR insurance (believe me, get this), is around $150 per year.  

FWIW, I use off the shelf AAA batteries and they'll last for several days before they need replaced.  The units lights will flash orange to red when the batteries need to be replaced.  
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 177

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300
GPS: Victorville, CA
Miles Typed: 1504

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2016, 09:25:55 PM »

Last year I was on the road with one of my very best friends in the world and also a good riding partner. We were eating lunch in a mom and pop and his phone rang. His wife wanted to know how the meal was!!!!           C'mon! We're adults here and he had one of those "trackers". Sorry, I'm just not waiting to spend my money on the latest doohickus.

When I travel I tell those close to me where I'm going and the route and time schedule. I usually travel with a buddy or two and I always have my two close friends Smith and Wesson with me as well. As for the wife/other, that's why we have cell phones. If we're in a no service zone it may be a day or so before contact can be made but that is OK.

Hate to rain on some of your parades here.

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '06 FJR1300(2 wks), '12 FJR1300
NotDeadYet

Reputation 8

GPS: over yonder
Miles Typed: 231

My Photo Gallery

I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it!

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2016, 07:15:34 PM »

Last year I was on the road with one of my very best friends in the world and also a good riding partner. We were eating lunch in a mom and pop and his phone rang. His wife wanted to know how the meal was!!!!           C'mon! We're adults here and he had one of those "trackers". Sorry, I'm just not waiting to spend my money on the latest doohickus.
When I travel I tell those close to me where I'm going and the route and time schedule. I usually travel with a buddy or two and I always have my two close friends Smith and Wesson with me as well. As for the wife/other, that's why we have cell phones. If we're in a no service zone it may be a day or so before contact can be made but that is OK.

Hate to rain on some of your parades here.

I'm with Blue on this - but without Smith & Wesson. I prefer not to have people know where I am and what I'm doing every minute of the day. Where's the mystery in that. I like to fly below the radar.

There is no next time, it's now or never.
Advertisement

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 31

GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 1108

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2016, 11:01:16 PM »

And, unless there's a good lock on the tracking site, it's like posting to facebook that you are going on vacation.

Which is not too dissimilar to posting a "this house has no guns" sign in your front lawn.

Bad guys will take advantage.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal