Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Shotcut and Audacity  (Read 2313 times)

RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 7

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3502

My Photo Gallery

Ground control to Major Tom...

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2016, 05:17:20 PM »

Armed with a couple hours of Prism (or GoPro or Hero or Drift or...) video, how can it be edited down to a usable video? For free.

Head to Shotcut.org and download the version for your PC, Mac, or Linux machine. Look at the tutorials. Read the forum (no longer pay-to-play despite some mention about fees). Shotcut can do a lot for videos, including rotating the image to undo a camera tilted off  of being square to the horizon. It can do some audio work, but, IMHO, it's not great for playing with the sound track.

Audacity is your friend. Audacityteam.org is the place to go. Audacity is free.

Edit your audio, play tricks with it, whatever. Export the audio as an MP3, AAC, WMA and import it into Shotcut. Life is good.

Editing audio and video isn't quite as simple as falling off a log. There are Audacity tutorials, Shotcut tutorials, and user forums. Use them.

As soon as I finish a project under way, I'll post a link to it. It won't be up to Hollywood standards, but it will look finished and sound good. I hope.

If you're dead, you don't know it, and it's only difficult for others. It's the same way when you're stupid...
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 31

GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 1095

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 07:37:44 PM »

Audacity is the only thing I'd do (use it all the time). Video editing is including in the OS. If I wanted something more powerful than iMovie, the DaVinci Resolve is free and uses an editing UI similar to Avid.

iMovie did these

https://youtu.be/RLawYAZ8bXo

https://www.facebook.com/100006344949873/videos/1702324829988999/
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 11:09:03 AM by Bounce » Logged

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
RBEmerson

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 08:44:22 PM »

(only the photobucket video came through - very moving video)

In the Win10, something external is needed to get any real work done.

I shudder think of the cost of using DaVinci Resolve.

As always, YMMV   Smile

If you're dead, you don't know it, and it's only difficult for others. It's the same way when you're stupid...
Advertisement

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 31

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 06:32:45 AM »

(only the photobucket video came through - very moving video)

In the Win10, something external is needed to get any real work done.

I shudder think of the cost of using DaVinci Resolve.

As always, YMMV   Smile

First, thanks. It was personal.

Next,

DaVinci Resolve is free for personal use.

The other was a Facebook link. I need to find the original file locally and put it somewhere else.

Found it!

www.fjr-tips.org/misc/Hail-2015.mov (Not as moving even though it's a MOV file... Wink )

Keep in mind that trailer was done with an iMovie template, some random clips found in PD on the Internet, and some vid shot (wrong way up) on my phone.  Imagine what could be done with a little effort. If Win10 isn't doing all this stuff and/or including the tools by this late date...

The OKC bombing video was done with personal video footage I shot while helping rebuild our Division Office, and some generationally-copied-VHS video that I couldn't find in any network archive. From hours of video, I cut it down to that much. IMO, many riding videos are far too long for the "new" content they bring to the table.  Most could be condensed down to 5 minutes or less and the music selected could be better.  You have to keep your audience engaged and remember that your footage isn't your baby, so it's okay to kill the bits that don't move the viewer forward.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 11:19:59 AM by Bounce » Logged

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
RBEmerson

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 07:03:06 PM »

[/ROFLASTC]

Shotcut works pretty well after some practice. However, unless I'm missing the obvious (again...  ), there is an oddity about editing granularity.

I'm working on a simple three scene bike video with live narration over bike noise and music under. Scene 2 ends at a very specific frame. One frame too early and a bit of action is unresolved, one frame too late and an unwanted bit of narration begins. So far so good. Trimming the music track (it withstands a certain amount of arbitrary cutting) simply won't work. The results are either four frames to short (not good) or four frames too long (adding brief flash of black at a jump cut. Gngh. There is simply no obvious way to get the video/bike noise and music 100% aligned at the end of the scene.

DaVinci  Resolve, at least on the web site, seems to need a three trackball keyboard thingie which would delight a video gamer. How does this work out for you?

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 31

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 07:59:13 AM »

No problems. You can set up the UI to more reflect your controllers. I have an USB mouse with thumbwheel, an 101 key USB keyboard, and an Apple Touchpad.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
RBEmerson

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 10:50:23 AM »

Trackball w/ thumbwheel, check (can add a second)
Keyboard, check
Touchpad, half-check (small and probably too grainy)

The more I play with Shotcut, the more I see its limitations. The previously mentioned granularity is now becoming a problem. A few frames might seem trivial, but at 30 fps, 15 frames is a half second. Audio can be tweaked to be acceptable (but not truly right), But a half second gap in video, not so much.

Titling is limited to simple title cards with less than full control of font size (varies to fit space available, won't go smaller). In this project, they're over a .jpg still, Processing this takes a few seconds to transfer from the playlist to the screen or timeline. Why is that, Captain Ron?

Two related annoyances: moving more than one shot around on the timeline simply doesn't exist. There's no shift-click to group cuts and move them around. Additionally, once a transition shot cross-fade and/or audio cross-fade, there's no way to un-cross them later, retaining the video and audio content that had been overlaid. For example, dropping a shot in between two shots separated by a transition simply doesn't work.

Here's another goody: merging projects. I created a set of titles and followed them with the opening shot, with a single audio (music) track. They were tucked into a project titled Title. Everything else was in project Main. The only way to move them to Main (all the other shots and audio) is as a single shot. There is no way to edit the titles and (in this case) opening shot. They've become permanently glued together.

While I'm heaping on them, any extensive audio work must be done outside of Shotcut and imported. Timing becomes a very real challenge (see frame issue above).

In the end, Shotcut very much drives the video's overall look. It should be utterly transparent. To be fair, Shotcut does some good things, but I wouldn't want to use it to do a video of any major length and with some complexity,

Time, IMNSHO, to look for a Plan B.

RBEmerson

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 12:15:36 PM »

Threadjacked

Uh, spiffy titles? Crawls? Spins? Stopies and wheelies? (oops - wrong area of interest). Where is, please?

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 31

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 10:43:11 PM »

Trackball w/ thumbwheel, check (can add a second)
Keyboard, check
Touchpad, half-check (small and probably too grainy)

Mine's only 4x4

It gives me squeeze/pinch/rotate and the other functions of the included touchpad that a Macbook Pro would have.

All the other issues you seem to be having are things that work (apparently as you want) in iMovie.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
RBEmerson

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 11:42:30 PM »

Um... small problem. No hava da Mac (and highly unlikely I ever will - speaking as a thoroughly burned Apple Developer of yore - "Toaster" days)

Shotcut continues to annoy. Granularity and a curious pause at each jump cut for openers. I must have slept through Moving Tracks around 101 - I have an MTV-paced set of many, many cuts. They belong after some preceding material on another track. Fortunately I could move each cut to the longer track / timeline. I still have one more sequence to edit. I'm dreading the experience...

I found some good Resolve tutorials (Casey F[/something]), and I get the basic idea. But, geezum, this is like bringing a tank to a knife fight...  And I'm still SOL on a simple crawl.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 11:50:32 PM by RBEmerson » Logged

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 31

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 06:43:36 AM »

(Video) Toaster was an Amiga thing.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
RBEmerson

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 08:57:42 AM »

Video Toaster was indeed an Amiga thing. The original Macs and Mac SE's were sometimes called toasters due to their somewhat toaster-like shape. FWIW, the project that I was burned on was a water treatment plant control system. Believing Apple when they said certain features (related to reat-time activity) would remain in the OS, I designed, coded and installed the Mac at Appalachian Statue. Apple blew it away. The customer was left having to buy several toasters as backups. I haven't seen a great deal to make me trust Apple since then.  Twofinger

Further to my shotcut gripes, I discovered that it created a couple instances of overlapping a single frame. The cutting process is to move the head to the desired spot, press "split at head", highlight the footage to be removed, and do a ripple delete. In short, no jogging, etc. on my part. NTL, the overlaps appear. I was able to remove the overlap but... two frames are lost. Once footage is overlapped, there's no way to recover the overlapped frames when trying to undo the overlap. No big deal for the discarded footage, not so good for the remaining footage. In some cases the frame moves the scene past something that should flash by - the thing is now lost or the "flash" is too short. Not good. Can I assume Resolve doesn't have this granularity?

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 31

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 10:12:23 AM »

I've been using the split-at-head function and others but not needed the subliminal messaging flashes to be as exacting as I read you are wanting so, if there's an issue, I've not experienced it.

I walked away from Apple when they orphaned the Apple ][. ][+, and //e when they came out with the Mac. I didn't come back to Apple until Intel OS-X was well in place (circa 2010) after being burned far too many times by Windows failures. I made a career (and still do in my retirement) out of supporting Windows failures but didn't need those frustrations when I was off the clock. The tipping point was when my Windows 7 was fine, shut down the system completely and went out of town on business, came home and powered up to have a infamous "no OS" type error message that required a complete reinstall (hardware was fine).

I've found that (the BSD Linux-based) macOS (ne OS-X) has been very stable and highly affordable given the hardware build quality and the stuff that comes with the OS (instead of at-cost after market purchases). I found myself wondering why I had put up with the frustrations that Windows puts its users through for so long.

This has become even worse with Windows 10.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 10:19:48 AM by Bounce » Logged

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
RBEmerson

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 12:17:02 AM »

Actually it's shotcut adding the odd overlap frames. One of the cuts it tried to kill was a few frames of a "curvy road ahead" sign to set the tone for what follows. I had to fight to get that sign in the cut. Gngh.

Frustration is RT-11, RSTS, and (scream!!!!) cobol.  Wink

Blue is Best
Light is right

Reputation 176

Motorcycles: 2012 FJR1300
GPS: Victorville, CA
Miles Typed: 1457

My Photo Gallery

Blue motorcycles are fastest

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 07:04:53 PM »

Read through this thread and am trying to figure out the language you guys are writing in. Most of it appears to be English. I'm not sure what you are trying to resolve here. I think it is related to some kind of electronic junk!!!!!!!!

Darn kids!!!!!!!!!!                           Bigok  

Past bikes: Dirt- '74 MX360, SC500 x 2, '77 YZ400, '78 YZ400, '83 CR250, '85 CR250, '86 CR250   
 Street- '74 S3400, H1500, '72 H2750 x 2, '78 GS1000C, GS1000EC x 2, '80 GS1000S, '00 1200 Bandit, '05 FJR1300, '07 ZX14, '06 FJR1300(2 wks), '12 FJR1300
RBEmerson

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 10:19:35 PM »

You're right, this discussion has wandered off the motorcycle-specific.

The big take-aways are, I think:
  • Video to be shared needs at least some degree of editing (think of home videos that drone on)
  • There editing tools in Macs and PC's
  • There are good, free  external editing programs - I referred to Shotcut and Bounce mentioned DiVinci Resolve
  • As the following discussion showed, editing, like many things, takes practice and patience to do and do well

Having initially championed Shotcut, and now tried Resolve, Shotcut is good, but Resolve can do far more. This comes at a price, though. Getting the extras under control takes a lot of practice and lot of time looking at YouTube videos about Resolve.

RBEmerson

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 11:04:50 PM »

My current project (a mere three scenes plus opening and closing title, credits, etc.) is coming along nicely. Resolve made it easy to embed some some neat little visual and audio tricks. However, any significant audio work must be done with something like Audacity. Resolve simply doesn't do the sort of thing found in Audacity. There may well be audio plug-ins that help, but for now... nah.

The trick is work out the exact time needed for something to go to Resolve. Resolve works in hours:minutes:seconds:frames. The frame rate for this production is 30 fps; 00:00:2:15 is 2.5 seconds. Doing sexagesimal (base 60 - as in 60 minutes make 1 hour, 60 seconds make 1 minute) arithmetic is not for the faint of heart. Unless a calculator that can accept input in degrees, minutes, seconds (see a pattern here?). Refer to the calculator manual for info on the D.M.S function. With this function, it's easy to add and subtract timings to find out exactly what time constraints Audacity has.

I'll post a link to finished video, but, for now, the take-away is: several hours into using Resolve's basic functions (I haven't touched color grading), it very much makes my day. A lot. And the price is right.  

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 31

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 06:32:32 AM »

Glad it's working out. Another advantage is that, if you decide to run with it, the UI is so close to that of Avid and [whatever the other is] that are the mainstays of Hollywood production houses, that you would transition easily.

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
RBEmerson

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 11:33:54 AM »

Hollyweird editors need have no fear I'll take their jobs. Fer sher.  Lol

RBEmerson

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 10:26:56 PM »

I shudder to think about how many hours I put into this thing, but it's done. The video was done with Resolve, with the exception of rotating the images slightly; correcting for camera lean. I used Shotcut for that. No doubt Resolve can do it, too, but I haven't a clue as to how it's done. The audio was run though Audacity. Mostly I normalized the track and then ran it through a compressor. This makes the tracks a little more consistent with each other, and keeps the sound from fading out when it shouldn't. Armed with timing (the time between the start and finish of video clip), I trimmed things as needed. saved it, and imported it into Resolve. A good example of this process appears in the first scene of the video (after the opening credits). You'll know it when you see/hear it. And sometimes I just got lucky. The applause in the opening scene is in the music. The timing for the second round of applause and the video came together by luck. Resolve does very little with sound except to tweak sound levels. I used that.

Constructive comments are welcome. Keep "Euwww! That sucks!" to yourself. If you don't, I'll come to your house and let all the air out of your tires.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal