Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Garmin 276Cx - rebirth of the 276 / 376 / 478  (Read 857 times)

David Morrow

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: FJR
GPS: Vancouver, B.C.
Miles Typed: 618

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2016, 03:58:22 PM »

My 478 is still working fine but updating the maps is going to be a real challenge. I have never found a GPS that came close to the 478. But then along comes Garmin with the 276Cx. Tons of memory for maps and, by the looks of things, all of the features that we love on the 478. Certainly not cheap at $800 but it'll be my next GPS.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/handheld/gpsmap-276cx/prod539722.html

SS1000, SS2000, BB1500, BBG1500, TransCanada Quest, TransCanada Gold(2005), TransCanada Gold(2007)
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

cyjo

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 2002 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Thurmont, MD
Miles Typed: 748

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 10:05:59 AM »

My 478 is still working fine but updating the maps is going to be a real challenge. I have never found a GPS that came close to the 478. But then along comes Garmin with the 276Cx. Tons of memory for maps and, by the looks of things, all of the features that we love on the 478. Certainly not cheap at $800 but it'll be my next GPS.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/handheld/gpsmap-276cx/prod539722.html
I found this review
http://globeriders.com/article_pages/article10_gps/article10_gpsmap276cx.shtml

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

“More than anything else the sensation is one of perfect peace mingled with an excitement that strains every nerve to the utmost, if you can conceive of such a combination.” - Wilbur Wright
cyjo

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: 2002 Bandit 1200S
GPS: Thurmont, MD
Miles Typed: 748

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 10:06:38 AM »

Looks like the display layout is similar to my old streetpilot 2720

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

“More than anything else the sensation is one of perfect peace mingled with an excitement that strains every nerve to the utmost, if you can conceive of such a combination.” - Wilbur Wright
Advertisement

RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 7

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3502

My Photo Gallery

Ground control to Major Tom...

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 02:29:20 PM »

I like the general sound of this device. I recognize many of the functions from the Garmin 76 handheld I've used, on our boat, for years. I have "later and greater" receivers (Raymarine's sensor, a receiver in the Automatic Identification System - AIS - receiver) but the 76 is what's in a car-adapter next to the ship's wheel. Anyway...

The big thing I don't understand is how well the 276cx handles route creation away from Base Camp, etc. I have the feeling it doesn't do anything specifically motorcycle-oriented (e.g., prefer twisty routes).

I'm also curious about whether the 276cx is the new BMW Nav V in Garmin form. The Zumo 660, for example, is the Nav IV with no real integration into a BMW bike's computer controls. After week of using my 660 on a '15 R1200RT, I didn't miss the integration and, otherwise, the 660 worked as it does on my K1200RS.

Good point about the way Garmin handles storing maps and track data. In my experience, the 660 has similar limitations. It's easy enough to get an additional map set (I have all of the Europe map set in my 660) into the SD. After a month's tour in Maine (on four wheels), all of the track data was retrievable with little difficulty. With the 267cx' added capacity, I wouldn't sweat this issue.

I'll d/l manual, of course. One thing I'll look for is a BT volume control. The 660 voice output is fixed at one (incredibly loud) setting, with no hope of changing it.  :facepalm:

If you're dead, you don't know it, and it's only difficult for others. It's the same way when you're stupid...
Kendoo

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2003 ST1300
GPS: Wallkill, NY
Miles Typed: 49

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 08:14:16 AM »

I like the general sound of this device. I recognize many of the functions from the Garmin 76 handheld I've used, on our boat, for years. I have "later and greater" receivers (Raymarine's sensor, a receiver in the Automatic Identification System - AIS - receiver) but the 76 is what's in a car-adapter next to the ship's wheel. Anyway...

The big thing I don't understand is how well the 276cx handles route creation away from Base Camp, etc. I have the feeling it doesn't do anything specifically motorcycle-oriented (e.g., prefer twisty routes).

I'm also curious about whether the 276cx is the new BMW Nav V in Garmin form. The Zumo 660, for example, is the Nav IV with no real integration into a BMW bike's computer controls. After week of using my 660 on a '15 R1200RT, I didn't miss the integration and, otherwise, the 660 worked as it does on my K1200RS.

Good point about the way Garmin handles storing maps and track data. In my experience, the 660 has similar limitations. It's easy enough to get an additional map set (I have all of the Europe map set in my 660) into the SD. After a month's tour in Maine (on four wheels), all of the track data was retrievable with little difficulty. With the 267cx' added capacity, I wouldn't sweat this issue.

I'll d/l manual, of course. One thing I'll look for is a BT volume control. The 660 voice output is fixed at one (incredibly loud) setting, with no hope of changing it.  

The garmin 590 is the closest match to the BMW Nav 5. The 276Cx does have the curvy road option.
RBEmerson

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 09:48:04 AM »

So what does the 595 do that the 590 doesn't? The 276 has a ton of boat stuff I can live without while on the bike. And $900 for the 595 alone?  EEK!

If you're dead, you don't know it, and it's only difficult for others. It's the same way when you're stupid...
David Morrow

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: FJR
GPS: Vancouver, B.C.
Miles Typed: 618

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 10:14:04 AM »

So what does the 595 do that the 590 doesn't? The 276 has a ton of boat stuff I can live without while on the bike. And $900 for the 595 alone?  EEK!

As to the boat stuff, it's been a long time since I first set up my 478 but IIRC, you set the unit for road or water and once that's done, you never see the boat stuff again. After that, it doesn't get in your way. I suspect the new 276Cx will be the same.

SS1000, SS2000, BB1500, BBG1500, TransCanada Quest, TransCanada Gold(2005), TransCanada Gold(2007)
RBEmerson

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 11:58:37 AM »

Actually, since I own a cruising sail boat, it wouldn't be a dead loss. I'm still using a GPS 76 (old enough that I forget when I bought it) and live in fear of it's going sour. I have a 78 as a backup. Unfortunately, Garmin dropped stuff I need (ETA to all intermediate waypoints*) and added stuff that's mostly eyewash. And (surprise) it effectively needs Garmin charts (what landlubbers call maps) to get full value - they're not free. Anyway, from what I've read, the 276 goes that way, too. In short, it's the gift that keeps on demanding.

*Going down the Intracoastal Waterway, keeping track of ETA's to drawbridges (most follow a fixed schedule) is no casual matter. Particularly with bridges set up that one cycles and the next one cycles in x minutes to get the traffic from the first opening. Get it wrong and there's probably a half hour wait for the next cycle. Not Fun. Knowing the ETA to the respective bridges indicates whether to speed up or slow down.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal