Poll
Question: Do you riders utilize cager traffic to your defensive advantage?
Uhhh..what yu talk'n bout? - 3 (2.4%)
Not only use em...I abuse em; no respect from them, no respect to them - 13 (10.3%)
If it occurs serendipitously…I’ve never really paid attention though - 2 (1.6%)
Ialways try and stay alert and postion myself for protection - 107 (84.9%)
Oh, dear God no! That would be selfish of me - 1 (0.8%)
Total Voters: 119

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Defensive riding...  (Read 2218 times)

Husky23
06 Sprint ST

Reputation 10

GPS: VA
Miles Typed: 1655

My Photo Gallery

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Ignore
« on: December 20, 2006, 07:53:15 PM »

Just curious...
Shizoku

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: ZZR1200
GPS: Valencia, CA
Miles Typed: 644

My Photo Gallery

My trusty steed...The ZZR1200

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 05:53:29 AM »

WOW!  I'd say experience teaches us to 'think alike'.   Bigok

Shiz

"You are dead a long time, so enjoy the time you have while you are alive"
FastCat
moving target

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 1998 GSF-1200S and a frankengixxer!
GPS: Tacoma, WA
Miles Typed: 187

My Photo Gallery

Yarrr! (meow)

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 06:08:10 AM »

I'm not sure it exactly fits, but I hadda choose option #2.  I try to keep my eyes on *everything* around me and anticipate as I go along.  I always anticipate 4-wheelers to take the most dangerous/inconsiderate path available to them and when I'm wrong I'm just pleasantly surprised.

The Nitrous Advice Forum
Husky23
06 Sprint ST

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 11:52:47 AM »

Yes, yes…for sure alert and attentiveness on, in, and near the roadway.

But I was taking the defensive riding question further; do you utilize other vehicles for actual physical protection and/or added visibility?

For instance as approaching possibly boulevard intersections do you place yourself in a position so that the cager traveling in the same direction (and possibly different lane) can be used as physical protection in the event another vehicle pulls out or does the famous left hand turn?

Or too, do you pick an attentive cager that fits fairly close to the profile riding in the current traffic conditions and use their additional headlight beams, or bright auto color, or size as additional attention for other traffic?

See what I’m getting at?
TalkingHead

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 11:57:35 AM »

Yes, and yes. But only sometimes. Sometimes I ride aggressively, some would say very aggressively. Some would call me a squid.
Husky23
06 Sprint ST

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 12:15:34 PM »

Yes, and yes. But only sometimes. Sometimes I ride aggressively, some would say very aggressively. Some would call me a squid.

Well, I would classify myself as fairly aggressive too...depending upon traffic, eviornmental and road conditions as well.

N.VA traffic sux's, with, I'm sure it's national allotted amount oif cager & biker future Darwin award recipients...and while I tend to try and get in front of the pack...I will, guided by the natural instinct of self preservation, utilize 4 to 18 wheel traffic as defensive barriers to help protect me.

I realize this isn't altruistic, but then again I'm not here to try and defy human nature.
TalkingHead

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 12:39:30 PM »

Riding in Seattle is a daily mortality check for sure. I too utilize the big rigs when I'm on the freeway but I like to give them some distance. They don't stop very quickly. I think what I use other vehicles for the most is as rabbits. I like to find a speeder and keep in them in sight and then match their speed. It's worked 90% of the time in terms of avoiding tickets.
dinolee

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 03:12:45 PM »

Amen for the unwitting rabbit cagers.  Don't get enough of them during the commute hours on I-405 unfortunately.  I'd like to have a portable microwave emitter device to fry the cellphone users parked in the HOV though.  The best defense is a deadly offense.  Thumbsup
jhampshire

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Harley T-Sport FXDXT, ZG1000 Concours, Yamaha Virago, Yamaha XJ750R
GPS: Godfrey, IL
Miles Typed: 20

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 09:59:35 PM »

I'll let a cage take the hit for me any time.  Actually I do it when I'm caging too,especially in deer country.
MilleArp
Microbrew Snob

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: 2003 Aprilia Mille-R (for sale), 2004 BMW R1100S (for sale), 2009 K1300GT, 2009 Suzuki DR-Z400S, 2005 FZ1
GPS: 2 close 2 Detroit
Miles Typed: 640

My Photo Gallery

BEER GOOD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 03:05:35 PM »

The best defense is a deadly offense.  Thumbsup

+1   Thumbsup

I'm what you call an AGGRESSIVE-DEFENSIVE rider.  I'm usually the fastest in traffic, but am 100% focused on riding and nothing else.  Always use my turn sigs, too, always.

basco

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: 09 BMW R1200 GSA
GPS: Colorado Springs, CO
Miles Typed: 3023

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 04:31:01 PM »

+1   Thumbsup

I'm what you call an AGGRESSIVE-DEFENSIVE rider.  I'm usually the fastest in traffic, but am 100% focused on riding and nothing else.  Always use my turn sigs, too, always.

+1. I'm also a agressive-defensive rider and fastest in traffic within reason.

STN Nationals: 09, 08, 06
ESTN: 07, 05, 04
R4: 04, 05 R3: 08
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal