Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: FJR or DL-1000 (Help pick Baz's next bike)  (Read 12186 times)

FJRmgm

Reputation 15

Miles Typed: 1738

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2007, 03:16:32 PM »

as an '05 FJR owner who has 38,500 happy motoring miles riding it I can tell you the FJR brings a smile to my face every single time I fire that bad boy up and get ready to ride!!

You might even want to commute with it, as I do, because the fairing and hard bags make it very easy to do so.  Get one.
alphabet man
1977 R100S, KTM ninefiddy S 2006 Adventure

Reputation 20

Years Contributed: '09
Miles Typed: 2194

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007, 02:16:46 PM »

Baz do you have any interst in an St1300? the local stealer in Fernie has a brand new 05 left over I suspect you could pick it up at a good price. If you are interested PM me and I will give you more info

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." George Bernard Shaw

Seek Adventure!
Baz

Reputation 16

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Yamaha FJR
GPS: St. Albert, AB, Canada
Miles Typed: 8892

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007, 09:46:31 PM »

Baz do you have any interst in an St1300? the local stealer in Fernie has a brand new 05 left over I suspect you could pick it up at a good price. If you are interested PM me and I will give you more info

A bit of a story here AM... I was sitting on one in the Honda dealership when the salesman shouted out, that bike makes you look good... My daughter shouted back at the salesman "that bike makes you look old".

I test rode the ST 1300 and it just did not light any fires. I am not bad mouthing it in any way, it was a very comfortable ride. If i was going to travel across the continent, I would probably look a little closer at the ST. Riding the ST to me was much the same as driving my SUV down the highway, it just felt too vanilla. I am not at all a fan of its looks either.

The local dealer has one with a whole bunch of goodies & a 7 year warranty (extended) for slightly more than the FJR. I just can't drink the ST pretty I guess.
Nesbocaj
Extreme Taxpayer

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2008 BMW R1200RT, 2005 F650GS DAKAR
GPS: Westchester County, NY
Miles Typed: 195

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2007, 09:51:03 PM »

Headscratch  Who said the FJR doesn't do gravel??  

I have a friend, that on every ride he leads, we hit dirt and gravel roads.
Nothing like gettin' up on the pegs of an FJR and shooting some dirt off that rear tire!

Bob J
forester
My money grows on trees.

Reputation -16

Motorcycles: 2006 Suzuki DL650 V-strom
GPS: Cold side of conus
Miles Typed: 2686

My Photo Gallery

06' 'strom: world's bestest bike.

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2007, 10:13:56 PM »

If i was going to travel across the continent world, I would probably look a little closer at the ST V-strom 650. Riding the ST V-strom 650 to me was much the same as driving my SUV down the highway, it just felt too vanilla except with the ability to do some gravel roads with ease and even some light off-roading, a necessity if I want to get off that vanilla place called the highway. I am not at all a fan of its looks either, of course I realize that nobody else is, either.  Since I want a most awesome bike however that is capable of handling twisties as good (if not better) than a Sprint ST, yet has better elemental protection, a WAY better pillion seat and is probably one of the most dependable bikes on the planet, plus it won't barbecue my balls or make that annoying tick-tick-tick sound when I'm riding down the road like a FJR does.  Bigsmile   I'm going to be smart and find an 05' in Black with low miles, add a Scottoiler TKC so I don't have to worry about oiling the chain until I am ready to adjust the valves, a JC Whitney Topcase so I can save $200 (compared to a GIVI) and purchase some soft panniers instead of that ridiculously priced Jesse luggage that might hurt like hell if I happen to be picking Acai berries on a dirt track in Brazil and fall off because I'm in such a stupor in my feeling of uphoria due to being able to have one bike that will do so many things so well.  Bigok

There, fixed that for you.  Bigsmile  No charge.  Oh, I might add that I was looking at the FJR back a few years ago (2004).  I had one job that paid enough for me to be able to pay cash for a blue one out the door.  At that time, dealers weren't stocking them, but our "local" dealer had one in stock.  Instead of purchasing the bike, I put the money into building our home and put the bike thing on hold.  I am very glad I made that choice.  I cannot imagine having one of those bikes now.  From my perspective: Totally overkill and limited, but hey - they are a great choice for a pure sport-touring machine!

For a forester, EVERY day is Earth day.
               SCHADENFREUDE!. Beerchug
alphabet man

Reputation 20

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2007, 11:23:14 PM »

A bit of a story here AM... I was sitting on one in the Honda dealership when the salesman shouted out, that bike makes you look good... My daughter shouted back at the salesman "that bike makes you look old".

I test rode the ST 1300 and it just did not light any fires. I am not bad mouthing it in any way, it was a very comfortable ride. If i was going to travel across the continent, I would probably look a little closer at the ST. Riding the ST to me was much the same as driving my SUV down the highway, it just felt too vanilla. I am not at all a fan of its looks either.

The local dealer has one with a whole bunch of goodies & a 7 year warranty (extended) for slightly more than the FJR. I just can't drink the ST pretty I guess.

Yup I know what you mean, wifey and I sat on it and actually found the same thing sort of hohum and my 20 year old daughter had the same response as your daughter

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." George Bernard Shaw

Seek Adventure!
alphabet man

Reputation 20

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2007, 11:24:21 PM »

There, fixed that for you.  Bigsmile  No charge.  Oh, I might add that I was looking at the FJR back a few years ago (2004).  I had one job that paid enough for me to be able to pay cash for a blue one out the door.  At that time, dealers weren't stocking them, but our "local" dealer had one in stock.  Instead of purchasing the bike, I put the money into building our home and put the bike thing on hold.  I am very glad I made that choice.  I cannot imagine having one of those bikes now.  From my perspective: Totally overkill and limited, but hey - they are a great choice for a pure sport-touring machine!

geez yah to rain on the guy's parade, forester

Seek Adventure!
roadrailer
I'm doing it as hard as I can...

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2006 Buell Ulysses; 2002 Suzuki SV650S
GPS: West Tennessee
Miles Typed: 309

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2007, 11:37:26 PM »

Given your description, I'd say FJR all the way. Get a real dirt bike (or even a dual sport) if you want to do dirt.

2006 Buell Ulysses
2002 Suzuki SV650S
forester
My money grows on trees.

Reputation -16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2007, 09:31:35 AM »

If it's raining, it's raining gold!  These are kick-ass bikes!

Should I rain a little more?:

EEK!http://pedroandmaria.blogspot.com/ EEK!
Can the FJR do this?:  Bigsmile

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/mauijoemama/bikex.jpg

Dirtbike schmurtbike.  We don't need no steenking dirtbike!  Lol

...The best thing is, the V-strom is WAY more capable on-road!!!  Bigsmile

« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 10:33:04 AM by forester » Logged

SCHADENFREUDE!. Beerchug
Baz

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2007, 04:22:59 PM »

Should I rain a little more?:

EEK!http://pedroandmaria.blogspot.com/ EEK!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v129/mauijoemama/bikex.jpg

Hehehe Foreester... I know of people that would attempt that river crossing in their mom's Kia. Just remember I come from a place where the most commonly heard thing before motor vehicle accidents is... "Hold my beer, watch this!"

Very cool pictures, in fact a couple of those could be a 2 hour ride from my house, in the Cadomin area of Alberta.

Yes, this is where the Strom would be really nice, I am just not sure how many times I would use it for that application.

Mr.Awesome
Motorcyclist

Reputation 25

Motorcycles: 04 Sprint ST, 99 KLR 250
GPS: Metamora, MI
Miles Typed: 861

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2007, 10:15:34 PM »

If a gixxer can....  I would think an FJR could even easier.   Twofinger

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g107/geeperz11/motivator2325661.jpg
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '06
Motorcycles: KTM 990 Adventure, BMW F800GS, Triumph Sprint ST, Honda CRF450X, Suzuki DRZ400S
Miles Typed: 306

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2007, 10:55:06 PM »

I put ~50K miles on an '04 FJR, with upgraded front & rear suspension....That was my ride a couple years back during the Banff run when we met in Nelson.

My principal S-T/large mount these days is a DL-1000.  I miss the FJR, for the additional sport factor, and a bit more protection and comfort overall.  The DL, however, provides a different sense of adventure and charge.  The v-twin configuration is a bit more satisfying around town as well.

The FJR is certainly capable of 10-20-30 miles of gravel/smooth fire road at a time, along with gorgeous power on sticky stuff.  The DL will give you 80% of the same on the paved stuff, and much more on the unpaved, as long as it doesn't exceed 5-6" of travel.  Both bikes are fun, so it really depends on if you want more touring with more power and sport, or touring with more ability to charge off-pavement.  I found myself longing after the "Dinosaur fossils 50 miles" signs too much, and decided to try the twin/aslightly more dirt-capable mount....it's all good so far.  Not sure if it's been mentioned, but http://stromtrooper.com and http://11109.rapidforum.com are good strom sites.  http://fjrforum.com is good for fjr's.

The "FJR/DL-650" idea is a good one, but at that point I'd get a KLR rather than the DL.
sprint_st
Let the Wookie Win

Reputation 7

GPS: SC Upstate
Miles Typed: 2428

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2007, 08:48:28 AM »

Sorry, but in my opinion forester's comments are purely from his perspective.  Overkill???  When you are running 400-500 mile day trips and back to back 600-700 mile days that's were an FJR shines.  The FJR is a no apologies sport tourer.  You can go sport touring on a GSXR with some soft luggage but it is a compromise.  You can run a Gold Wing down Deals Gap too.  An FJR is extremely hard to beat as a balance between sport and touring.

It AIN'T the destination, it's the RIDE!
Baz

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2007, 08:38:12 PM »

Well kids a funny thing happened today....

I am at the worlds largest shopping mall buying a pair of dress shoes to go with my new suit, complaining to the amazing Betz (my better half) that this was the most expensive week of my life. University tuition, for favorite daughter, insurance for favorite daughters new car, books for this semester for said daughter, expensive new suit, shoes (to find a potential new job so I can afford to support said daughter) Visa bills from Christmas... Then my phone rings.

Barry, the voice says, I have good news & bad news.

The Voice is Chris, the young Yamaha salesman. He says, the good news is, we have a brand new 2006 cobalt blue FJR, the bad news is that we don't have 3 others in inventory like I told you. If you want to guarantee this bike, you had better bring money down today, because my boss wants to know if he can include the last FJR on the salemans inventory list for the bike show next weekend.

As a really. experienced salesman, I asked.. Chris if his sales manager was on his case to sell bikes? he says no, I am not like that, but my sales manger says either you give me some cash, or your FJR goes back into our inventory sheet.

Well to make a long story short, I am now the soon to be owner of a 2006 Cobalt blue FJR. I take delivery on March 31st. (The snow will probably leave here April 30th). Yes, they took some of my money.

They did have a new 2007 DL 1000 on the floor (looks very nice in the black & silver BTW) and so in a high pressure moment I was able to sit and make my decision. (FJR or DL). Well my better half Betz had to give up riding due to a bum knee, and she found the DL very difficult to climb on, and also found the FJR more comfortable.

The price they quoted me on the new Strom was 5 grand less than the FJR. Once I calculated farkle costs that everyone recommends for the DL, the difference shrank considerably. A set of Givi luggage was $1800.00 bucks, new screen, centre stand, & guards etc, the FJR became affordable.
forester
My money grows on trees.

Reputation -16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2007, 09:03:39 PM »

I had to raz you a little bit...  Lol

Congrats on the Lay-away!  I wish you nothing but enjoyment of course!  

Thumbsup

Now, make sure to purchase some ice packs for your skivvies - You'll need 'em!  Bigsmile

BTW, I estimate proper farkles cost me around $1500. TOTAL!  This however is not including my time to install them and the GPS reciever, which is supplied for me by my work.

...and yes, "by perspective" I agree.  Check out what models are most commonly used for Iron butt tools if you think a V-strom is a worse choice than a FJR in a SERIOUS ride.  Lol  

« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 09:12:27 PM by forester » Logged

SCHADENFREUDE!. Beerchug
sprint_st
Let the Wookie Win

Reputation 7

GPS: SC Upstate
Miles Typed: 2428

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2007, 11:48:27 PM »

Excellent choice!!!  I canceled my 07 order to get an 06 just because I love the color (cough syrup red is purdy but cobalt blue is purdier).  I enjoy it as much as I do mine.

Hey forester, I'm happy that you like your V-Strom.  Ya know, if we love what we ride, it doesn't have to be better than other bikes, just best for us.  

It AIN'T the destination, it's the RIDE!
Baz

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2007, 12:44:07 AM »

I had to raz you a little bit...  Lol

Congrats on the Lay-away!  I wish you nothing but enjoyment of course!  

Thumbsup

Now, make sure to purchase some ice packs for your skivvies - You'll need 'em!  Bigsmile

BTW, I estimate proper farkles cost me around $1500. TOTAL!  This however is not including my time to install them and the GPS reciever, which is supplied for me by my work.

...and yes, "by perspective" I agree.  Check out what models are most commonly used for Iron butt tools if you think a V-strom is a worse choice than a FJR in a SERIOUS ride.  Lol  

Hey Forester:

We tend to get killed up here in the farkle department. I usually use my boss as a cross boarder mule, but something tells me he may have a fun time trying to get an entire set of Givi luggage in his carry on!

But another thing that made me choose the FJR is that I am in grid riding country here and to get to the "off" roads worth exploring, its a 3 hour ride on pretty flat blacktop.

Against The Wind
No, I really haven't figured it out.

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: CBR1100XX
GPS: Toronto
Miles Typed: 6710

My Photo Gallery

Feel the wind...and set yourself the bolder course

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2007, 11:25:37 PM »

Congrats. See you in Custer.
cbsnbiker
I speak only for myself.

Reputation -383

Motorcycles: BMWs: '98 K1200RS, '74 R90/6, '07 F650GS; '06 F650GS (RIP), '94 R1100RS (someone else enjoys it now).
GPS: Upstate NY
Miles Typed: 5693

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2007, 12:32:21 AM »

Congrats on your new bike! Enjoy in good health.

Here's what I think is possibly the most important factor in your decision:

Well my better half Betz had to give up riding due to a bum knee, and she found the DL very difficult to climb on, and also found the FJR more comfortable.

If she's going to ride with you, and if the FJR is more comfortable for her, then you made the better choice.  Thumbsup

BMWMOA Life Member, MSF-certified RiderCoach, etc.

Sorry I'm not going to read your link. If it contradicts what I&
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '06
Motorcycles: KTM 990 Adventure, BMW F800GS, Triumph Sprint ST, Honda CRF450X, Suzuki DRZ400S
Miles Typed: 306

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2007, 06:10:58 AM »

Nice pics. With the exception of the last two, then yes, the FJR can do that.  As a former FJR and current DL1000 owner, I disagree with your assesment that the Strom is more capable on-road...could be riding style but one is obviously a dedicated S-T mount, and one a compromise/adventure motorcycle.

Baz....congrats on the new ride.  You're going to love it!  Thumbsup
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal