Topic: 1098 ergos  (Read 7964 times)

Busa@11K

Reputation 71

Miles Typed: 1508

My Photo Gallery

On Full Afterburner

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2007, 05:47:53 PM »

Perhaps you (as in you directly) should go back to English comprehension school.  Or at least understand English words.  You are pissing me off.

Look up the meaning of you.  Oh here I did it for you.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/you

I bolded the defination of "you" that I was using in my sentence of "BTW: If you have to ask how the ergos are...then the bike isn't the right one for you."  So yes I was referening to "everyone" in general.  Thus my statement about how can my statement be false since "I" am included in everyone true. 

UFO never said "everyone" nor did I.

Lol ... you really are a "mental giant".  Crazy

Thanks for the bolded definition you so nicely pointed out: 2. one; anyone; people in general: a tiny animal you can't even see.

You just proved my whole point that you were talking about "anyone" and "people in general", and therefore everyone reading your sentance who might ask about the 1098 ergos - thanks, I couldn't have done it without ya. Wink  I hope punks like you don't really try to run the country some day.  Headscratch Bigok
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 06:38:58 PM by Busa@11K » Logged

Busa@11K

Reputation 71

Miles Typed: 1508

My Photo Gallery

On Full Afterburner

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2007, 06:02:16 PM »

BIKE UK did a write-up on the Duc 1098.  It looks like the ergos split the difference between the 998 and the 999.  The 999 was the relaxed ride.  The 1098 gas tank is wider.  The seat is tilted forward.  It has the same width but less length compared to the 999.  Seat height is higher.  The gas tank width and seat length were done in response to racers having a harder time squeezing the 999 tank and to moving around under hard acceleration on the 999 too much.  The seat height and tilt were done because they look more stylish.  Rolleyes  Ah well, it's Italian.

Good info ... thanks.  Sounds right there with what owner's and magazine testers are seeing too.

They had a sidebar piece about Duc reliability.  Some of it was logical -- valve adjustments are now purely mileage based and not time based.  Showa suspension servicing is now the same as for Japanese bikes using the same components.  This one was scary IMO -- the 998s and 999s required the fuel filter to be inspected or changed at some low mileage (600 mile service?) because Ducati used to accept gas tanks from vendors that were not completely finished inside.  IOW little bits of metal might be floating around in the gas tank of your brand new bike.  Crazy

I read that Ducati is now using clean gas tanks.  Lol Bigok  And I don't know WTH they were thinking with the old schedule or valve adjustments based on time?  Headscratch Crazy  So if you only put 500 miles on it between valve adjustments it would need it again ... yeah, riiiiight Ducati.  Lol

crispiegee1

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: 2001 Yamaha YZF600R; 1974 Moto Guzzi 850 Eldorado
GPS: Buffalo, NY
Miles Typed: 1193

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2007, 01:34:32 PM »

I'm late to this discussion, but I wish everyone would stop fighting.

My own feeling (as though anyone gives a damn... LOL) is that, racebike or not, manufacturers should not be given a free pass on ergos.  The bike will be licensed for the street in most cases, so there's a reasonable expectation that it won't torture you.  No reasonable person expects it to cushy, but at least be rideable.  

So I'm in the same camp as 'Busa and UFO.  

I may purchase an '08 Dodge Challenger for my next car - obviously a sporty car/muscle car.  But it's not unreasonable for me to also ask, "Will I have enough headroom?"

Similarly, I love this new 1098 and might consider one.  I know it won't be amazingly comfortable, but there's a balance there.  We're all entitled to ask the question of whether it will fit us.   Thumbsup
st ryder

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 1182

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2007, 02:34:52 PM »

I may purchase an '08 Dodge Challenger for my next car - obviously a sporty car/muscle car.  But it's not unreasonable for me to also ask, "Will I have enough headroom?"

From what I've read/heard, Ducati ergo designers gave the 1098 plenty of head room.  Smile

One doesn't by a 1098 for comfort, therefore, comfort should not be a *major* concern when buying one, not to say it doesn't matter.

One buys a low slung cruiser knowing full well it will not corner like a sport bike. If someone *neeeeeeds* to know lean angles of the low slung crusier he wants to buy, he really *is* looking at the wrong bike for the way he wants to ride. Similarly, if one is thinking of comfort and looking at a 1098, he may want to look at a ST instead as it has way more comfort, but far less performance. Since when isn't motorcycling the art of compromise?  

1098 will have plenty of aftermarket support in short order. Just buy it and the grin on your face will ease the pain in your neck.  Thumbsup  

Regards,

Frank,  2005 Ducati ST3(Red!) (Veni, Vedi,...Ducati!)
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

Years Contributed: '06, '09
GPS: Redmond, Wa
Miles Typed: 7535

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2007, 02:39:23 PM »

My own feeling (as though anyone gives a damn... LOL) is that, racebike or not, manufacturers should not be given a free pass on ergos.  The bike will be licensed for the street in most cases, so there's a reasonable expectation that it won't torture you.  No reasonable person expects it to cushy, but at least be rideable.  

Similarly, I love this new 1098 and might consider one.  I know it won't be amazingly comfortable, but there's a balance there.  We're all entitled to ask the question of whether it will fit us.   Thumbsup

Small difference between a sporty car and a street license race bike.  The VFR is the equivlant motorcycle to a sporty car.

And apparently you've never ridden a '01 GSX-R1000....pain.
JoBu
Breakin' Wind

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '07
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '01 Yamaha R1; '06 Goldwing; '07 Speed Triple (Roulette Green); '07 Yamaha FJR1300AE; '08 Suzuki B-King (Black)
GPS: Space Coast, FL
Miles Typed: 1219

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2007, 08:42:32 AM »

+1  Making a statement along the lines of "If you have to ask about ergos" is along the line of the famous (infamous) line from many HD riders, "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand".  

Ergos, while being very subjective, are a consideration for most consumers.  I was smitten with the original 916/996/998 design but ergos kept me from purchasing one.  I spent quite a few hours on various models of that bike and between the heat on my right calf (not ergos, but an issue with me) and the ergos, I concluded that it wasn't a very good choice for me.  Bear in mind that I'm perfectly comfortable touring on a Duc 900SS and an R1.  Oh, and for the record, I've ridden a Gixxer 1K for a full day (approx 550 miles) and was quite comfortable on it.  

Just curious, instead of going round and round trying to prove that you were "right", why not take the route of, "Hey, I was just jerking his chain...no harm meant".  A little more mature and a graceful way out.  Not flaming...just a suggestion.

Cheers,

Joe

It was the kind of crowd that would have made the Fool Killer lower his club and shake his head and walk away, frustrated by the magnitude of the opportunity.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal