Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: 1098 ergos  (Read 15286 times)

brianhe

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: BMW K1600 GTL (ex Honda ST1100, Ducati 1098, Honda CB1300)
GPS: Seattle area
Miles Typed: 220

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2006, 03:45:55 pm »

I'm interested in the 1098 but at 6'4" with 34" inseam, am not sure I'd be able to fit on one.  Have ergos been published anywhere?  How does the 1098 compare to any other bike in the Ducati lineup? I've read that it is taller & has a higher seat than the 999 but don't know much beyond that.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

Years Contributed: '06, '09
GPS: Redmond, Wa
Miles Typed: 7538

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 04:06:27 pm »

You want a 1098?   Headscratch
Leanintree
Waiting for #3...

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 ZRX1200R, '02 Bandit600
GPS: Loveland, right on the edge of Kalirado
Miles Typed: 3417

My Photo Gallery

Bah. This year sucks.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 04:40:01 pm »

Of course! Don't we all? But I just always figured that if you bought a sporting Duc, you pretty much just assumed that your chiropracter was getting a new pool or sending his kids to a nice school. Don't sell your ST1100...

Leanintree

'02 ZRX1200R  - Commutasaurus Rex, '02 Bandit600 - Appropriate name STILL pending

---Guns and bikes, peanut butter and jelly. See the comparison? One's just stickier.
Advertisement

sfarson
On a Ride

Reputation 21

GPS: Rockies
Miles Typed: 321

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 04:53:35 pm »

I'm interested in the 1098 but at 6'4" with 34" inseam, am not sure I'd be able to fit on one.  Have ergos been published anywhere?  How does the 1098 compare to any other bike in the Ducati lineup? I've read that it is taller & has a higher seat than the 999 but don't know much beyond that.

According to a 1098 video interview with Ducati NA the ergos are committed.  Race-like.  From the pics it appears to be so.  FWIW, I'm a hair under 6'5" with a 36" inseam and 190lbs and had no problem at all with a 998 I recently sold.  The net is your comfort on a 1098 will largely be determined by shape you're in, the flexibility you have.

The Colorado Book
brianhe

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 07:17:45 pm »

You want a 1098?   Headscratch

Crazy huh?  But it's really got a gut appeal to me.  I always liked the 916/998, and the R1 that kind of took the reigns as far as that style of design.  Though I've been looking at (and test riding!) do-it-all sport-touring machines, I've come to the conclusion that there are too many compromises and I really want a light, torquey, emotionally appealing bike.  A lot of my riding goals when I got into riding haven't materialized -- I'm not doing cross-country touring and am not likely to do so while I have kids at home, which will be a good while yet.  

I actually put money down on a 1098 today  EEK!  but I have a little while to make a final decision if I'm going to do this, and whether or not to keep the Honda.
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 07:26:29 pm »

Of course! Don't we all? But I just always figured that if you bought a sporting Duc, you pretty much just assumed that your chiropracter was getting a new pool or sending his kids to a nice school. Don't sell your ST1100...

Leanintree

No...since I found out the tach is digital I don't want the bike even more.  I really liked the 999.
MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Years Supported: '11, '12, '13
Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)
GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 2627

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 07:52:16 pm »

Crazy huh?  But it's really got a gut appeal to me.  I always liked the 916/998, and the R1 that kind of took the reigns as far as that style of design.  Though I've been looking at (and test riding!) do-it-all sport-touring machines, I've come to the conclusion that there are too many compromises and I really want a light, torquey, emotionally appealing bike.  A lot of my riding goals when I got into riding haven't materialized -- I'm not doing cross-country touring and am not likely to do so while I have kids at home, which will be a good while yet.  

I actually put money down on a 1098 today  EEK!  but I have a little while to make a final decision if I'm going to do this, and whether or not to keep the Honda.

Shoot, keep the ST1100, too.    Thumbsup Thumbsup   Nice little stable that would be.  As for the 1098, why not?  Buying any motorbike is a gamble of sorts.  The only way you'll really know if it's for you is to own one for awhile.  If you don't like, sell it.  You won't have any trouble finding someone to take it off your hands.

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
dinolee

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 02:19:32 pm »

Brian, once you get the bike (and you will be getting it Wink ), let us know the delivery date, so we all can schedule a proper welcome home, fawn and drool event to see it!  In fact, I believe a eastside sushi meet would be in order.
brianhe

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 04:21:28 pm »

I'd be happy to show it off.  At this point the delivery is pretty fuzzy -- sometime in March, they think.
Busa@11K

Reputation 71

Miles Typed: 1508

My Photo Gallery

On Full Afterburner

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 04:35:19 pm »

Go checkout www.1099-forum.com if you haven't already.  I posted the same question there.  Good board if you've got a 1098 on hold and need info.  BTW, I have a deposit on one too at Eastside Motosports.  Bigok

Sounds like it might be along the lines of the GSX-R and R1 ergos ... as I would suspect.  Don't sign the dotted line until you've at least sat on one.

http://www.1098-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702

Busa@11K

Reputation 71

My Photo Gallery

On Full Afterburner

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 04:39:52 pm »

I actually put money down on a 1098 today  EEK!  

Which one you going for?  A red base model is enough for me, and that's what I have a deposit on.  Smile

MisterSmooth
Hallie and Harper's Dad

Reputation 25

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Years Supported: '11, '12, '13
Motorcycles: 2013 Aprilia RSV4, 2009 BMW K1300S, 2005 Tuono Factory, 2006 Vespa LX150 (hers)
GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 2627

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 04:50:21 pm »

Brian, once you get the bike (and you will be getting it Wink ), let us know the delivery date, so we all can schedule a proper welcome home, fawn and drool event to see it!  In fact, I believe a eastside sushi meet would be in order.

That's a brilliant idea.  I'm in already.  Thumbsup

I found out that people really do say "Oh shit" right before they die.  -Major 662

It feels like our culture’s need to exhibit poor taste in music, excessive drug use, and exorbitant wealth are being stripped away one by one.    -J. E. Johnson VIII
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 04:52:32 pm »

One more thing.  When I saw the thing at the show I was unimpressed with the lack of finish quality on the fairing ear under the mirror mount.  It was like raw fiberglass which had paint.  I would expect it to be smooth like on the top side.

but I'll look more closely when the bike shows up in the showroom.

OH and fo ryou guys who want to here it race. Come down to PAcific Raceways for the WMRRA events.  There will be several 1098 out there going at it.
brianhe

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 06:08:01 pm »

Which one you going for?  A red base model is enough for me, and that's what I have a deposit on.  Smile

Same bike, same dealer even.  I think they will be sold out very soon.  While I was there they made two sales.
falcofred

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 2010 Multistrada 1200 S Touring, 07 KTM SuperDuke, 05 Suzuki DR650
GPS: Extreme N.E. Tennessee
Miles Typed: 1055

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 07:46:37 pm »

Mitch from Motorcyclist says the reach for the bars are shorter than the 999, he states it's more comfortable than the 999, but that's not saying much.
I just picked up a slightly used Triumph 675, and at 6'3" and 200 lbs. I'm looking at bar risers as my first modification.

How fast is too fast? How Young is too young? How High is too high?
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2007, 08:56:51 pm »

BTW: If you have to ask how the ergos are...then the bike isn't the right one for you. Smile
Busa@11K

Reputation 71

My Photo Gallery

On Full Afterburner

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2007, 09:16:34 pm »

BTW: If you have to ask how the ergos are...then the bike isn't the right one for you. Smile

Headscratch Thumbsdown ... that's not true.  Some people want to know what their new bike might be like, especially if they've never sat on one and the thing costs $15K +.

Some guys may want the bike, but wouldn’t like the eros enough to justify the want.  It's obviously a factor in deciding on a purchase or not ... same with probably almost every bike ever purchased.  It's a huge factor for many people, regardless if it's a 1098 or avGoldwing.  Wink

Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2007, 11:18:17 pm »

Headscratch Thumbsdown ... that's not true.  Some people want to know what their new bike might be like, especially if they've never sat on one and the thing costs $15K +.

Some guys may want the bike, but wouldn’t like the eros enough to justify the want.  It's obviously a factor in deciding on a purchase or not ... same with probably almost every bike ever purchased.  It's a huge factor for many people, regardless if it's a 1098 or avGoldwing.  Wink

The 1098 is a 1000% built race bike being sold on the street with the hopes for rule changes to allow them to race it.  when you are looking at a race bike it damn well just speak to you and ergo's aren't in that formula.

For types of bikes ergo's are very important to me.  for race bikes....if you are concerned about ergos you will be disappointed.
Busa@11K

Reputation 71

My Photo Gallery

On Full Afterburner

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2007, 12:02:37 am »

The 1098 is a 1000% built race bike being sold on the street with the hopes for rule changes to allow them to race it.  when you are looking at a race bike it damn well just speak to you and ergo's aren't in that formula.

For types of bikes ergo's are very important to me.  for race bikes....if you are concerned about ergos you will be disappointed.

Have you been reading the 1098 boards for the last month?  Guys who already have them in Germany and the UK are saying the ergos aren't that bad.  Sure, it's all relative ... what's bad for one guy is good for another.  But, just because you think the 1098 is a pure race bike doesn't mean it's also setup for the street, and ergos were part of that formula.  Ducati doesn't count on everyone buying this bike to race on the track, and in knowing so didn't make it a torture rack like some of the older Ducati superbikes.

Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2007, 12:05:02 am »

Have you been reading the 1098 boards for the last month?  Guys who already have them in Germany and the UK are saying the ergos aren't that bad.  Sure, it's all relative ... what's bad for one guy is good for another.  But, just because you think the 1098 is a pure race bike doesn't mean it's also setup for the street, and ergos were part of that formula.  Ducati doesn't count on everyone buying this bike to race on the track, and in knowing so didn't make it a torture rack like some of the older Ducati superbikes.

Rolleyes  whatever.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal