Reputation 50

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '09 Honda Transalp
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 14113

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2007, 12:37:15 AM »

Brian, once you get the bike (and you will be getting it Wink ), let us know the delivery date, so we all can schedule a proper welcome home, fawn and drool event to see it!  In fact, I believe a eastside sushi meet would be in order.

I think by the time March rolls around we'll all welcome an excuse to meet up again!  Thumbsup

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.
UFO

Reputation 184

Motorcycles: Duc MTS1200R
GPS: Here in the now...
Miles Typed: 13103

My Photo Gallery

Teh rainbows!!

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2007, 01:19:51 AM »

BTW: If you have to ask how the ergos are...then the bike isn't the right one for you. Smile

Lol Wha...?

I believe ergos is probably one of the most common question someone has about a bike...any bike...they are considering buying.  And the fact that there's a booming ergo aftermarket for almost every bike manufactured on the planet discredits your statement.

Neal
InfiniSpace.Net - A site for geeks/nerds
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

Years Contributed: '06, '09
GPS: Redmond, Wa
Miles Typed: 7536

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2007, 01:28:36 AM »

Lol Wha...?

I believe ergos is probably one of the most common question someone has about a bike...any bike...they are considering buying.  And the fact that there's a booming ergo aftermarket for almost every bike manufactured on the planet discredits your statement.

Yeah because people buy these 1098's and go WOHAAA...OWEIIEIEIE MOMMY...they like to feel all sexy but they can't handle the position.
Busa@11K

Reputation 71

Miles Typed: 1508

My Photo Gallery

On Full Afterburner

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2007, 01:48:22 AM »

Yeah because people buy these 1098's and go WOHAAA...OWEIIEIEIE MOMMY...they like to feel all sexy but they can't handle the position.

Don't worry, I'm sure anyone who has real reservations about the ergos won't sign the bottom line until they have actually sat or on one, or if lucky, ridden one.

As has been said, there are also many aftermarket "ergo enhancers" out there, and I'm sure there will be plenty for the  new 1098 for the guys who might not like the stock ergos.

From what I've read and seen so far, I don't think the 1098 will be any worse than the 1000 cc Japanese sportbikes.  For you guys looking at the 1098, at least go sit on a CBR, GSX-R or R1 and see what you think.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 01:51:47 AM by Busa@11K » Logged

brianhe

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: Ducati 1098 (ex Honda ST1100)
GPS: Kirkland, WA
Miles Typed: 220

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2007, 02:04:24 AM »

That was pretty funny.  I'm not looking for comfy-couch ergos, just something I can actually use.  Believe it or not I have ridden sportbikes before.  A lot of them really aren't usable for me, but some do feel good (I almost bought a Honda CBR 954 a couple of years ago).  If my knees are below my ears, I think it will all be good.   Cool
brianhe

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: Ducati 1098 (ex Honda ST1100)
GPS: Kirkland, WA
Miles Typed: 220

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2007, 02:07:56 AM »

As has been said, there are also many aftermarket "ergo enhancers" out there...

First time I read this, I thought it said "ego enhancers."   Lol
Busa@11K

Reputation 71

My Photo Gallery

On Full Afterburner

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2007, 02:09:58 AM »

First time I read this, I thought it said "ego enhancers."   Lol

Lol ... that too, among other things.  Headscratch EEK! Bigsmile

UFO

Reputation 184

Motorcycles: Duc MTS1200R
GPS: Here in the now...
Miles Typed: 13103

My Photo Gallery

Teh rainbows!!

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2007, 02:13:53 AM »

No, I was refering to your ridiculous general statement of "BTW: If you have to ask how the ergos are...then the bike isn't the right one for you."

My point being that people who buy any bike will research the ergos, and more often than not make adjustments to them after they buy the bike.  So your statement, whether directed specifically at the 1098 or in general, is blatantly false and incorrect.

Neal
InfiniSpace.Net - A site for geeks/nerds
Busa@11K

Reputation 71

My Photo Gallery

On Full Afterburner

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2007, 02:14:42 AM »

That was pretty funny.  I'm not looking for comfy-couch ergos, just something I can actually use.  Believe it or not I have ridden sportbikes before.  A lot of them really aren't usable for me, but some do feel good (I almost bought a Honda CBR 954 a couple of years ago).  If my knees are below my ears, I think it will all be good.   Cool

Yeah, nobody expects a bike like the 1098 to have the ergos of a Goldwing. Lol  Anyone who knows anything at all about the 1098 knows it's a superbike and will have ergos of one.  The question is really if it's a complete torture rack, or is it going to be along the lines of the other sportbikes out there and be tolerable for street riding.  So far it sounds like it is like most 1000 cc sportbikes, which aren't horrible, but of course everyone needs to sit on one and judge for themselves.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 02:17:43 AM by Busa@11K » Logged

Busy Little Whiner

Reputation -1476

Years Contributed: Nothing but complaints
Years Supported: Nothing but complaints
Miles Typed: 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2007, 03:24:24 AM »

I'm interested in the 1098 but at 6'4" with 34" inseam, am not sure I'd be able to fit on one.  Have ergos been published anywhere?  How does the 1098 compare to any other bike in the Ducati lineup? I've read that it is taller & has a higher seat than the 999 but don't know much beyond that.

I'm not sure but your large size may dictate custom rear sets... ones that reposition your long inseam to
fit the tank dents... that's where years of experience pay off... I customize the parts to fit the rider...
parts like custom bars and Temper Foam seats... I guarantee a ride that will be as good as it's going to
get...

Another consideration in a new bike is ride comfort... a Honda ST is high weight and soft suspension
which sacfices control in the name of comfort... you glide over the road irregularities some what
vaguely... just the opposite is true on a bike with racing heritage...  the 1098 is low weight and sports
track worthy suspension... my Italian brothers are good at sacrificing comfort in the name of control...
your suppose to feel ever nuance of the road surface so what if it's harsh... mercy... and the lighter you
make the bike by adding aftermarket parts the more harsh the ride becomes... this is what I learned
after modifying Mr.RC45...

This pic shows how I was able to get Big George knee's to fit his tank dents... before his knee struck the
top edge of the tank which was not good for comfort or control...

Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2007, 10:29:35 AM »

No, I was refering to your ridiculous general statement of "BTW: If you have to ask how the ergos are...then the bike isn't the right one for you."

My point being that people who buy any bike will research the ergos, and more often than not make adjustments to them after they buy the bike.  So your statement, whether directed specifically at the 1098 or in general, is blatantly false and incorrect.

How can my statement be false or incorrect when I myself wouldn't look at the ergos of the 1098 if I wanted one?  I would already know it is painful and leave it at that.

And yes my statement was directly at the 1098.
st ryder

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 1241

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2007, 11:01:20 AM »

BTW: If you have to ask how the ergos are...then the bike isn't the right one for you. Smile

I agree. And, IMHO, if you don't know more about the bike than the sales person, you're not ready to buy either. Personally, I've never test rode any bike I've bought, nor deliberated ergos. I knew what I wanted, and bought. I totally agree with Nick Iannamesicantspell, about the rider being the most important "engineer" of any bike ie, *you* adapt to *it*, and ride it within its design parameters. .  

Regards,

Frank,  2005 Ducati ST3(Red!) (Veni, Vedi,...Ducati!)
Busa@11K

Reputation 71

My Photo Gallery

On Full Afterburner

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2007, 03:21:47 PM »

How can my statement be false or incorrect when I myself wouldn't look at the ergos of the 1098 if I wanted one?  I would already know it is painful and leave it at that.

And yes my statement was directly at the 1098.

Because you aren't everyone ... get over yourself.  Lol
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 03:24:17 PM by Busa@11K » Logged

Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2007, 03:26:00 PM »

Because you aren't everyone ... get over yourself.  Lol

UFO never said "everyone" nor did I.  UFO said "that people who buy" which indicates an "anybody" clause.  

Everyone is an equals clause
Anyone is a contains clause

Since I make the "anyone" clause true as I am contained in "anyone" then my statement is still true.

Twofinger
bizarro

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2007, 03:36:32 PM »

And yet, people give the dungeon dwellers a hard time.....  Rolleyes Lol
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2007, 03:45:21 PM »

And yet, people give the dungeon dwellers a hard time.....  Rolleyes Lol

So of us Dungeon dwellers learned how to climb a ladder. Smile

You can take the girl out of the trailer park....  Lol
Busa@11K

Reputation 71

My Photo Gallery

On Full Afterburner

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2007, 04:21:10 PM »

Stop going in circles to try and prove you're right ... because you're not.

The statement above typed out by you, says "YOU" ... not "I" or "ME".

If you would have typed...

"BTW: If I have to ask how the ergos are...then the bike isn't the right one for me. Smile "

then you would have been referring to YOURSELF, and not EVERYONE ELSE.  You don't have to use the word "everyone" to infer to everyone.  The use of YOU in your original sentence refers to everyone reading the sentance.

You were talking about everyone, not about youself ... and were inferring that anyone asking about the 1098's eros shouldn't buy the bike because "...then the bike isn't the right one for you".

Go back to English comprehension school.  Crazy Lol
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 04:29:37 PM by Busa@11K » Logged

Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »

Stop going in circles to try and prove you're right ... because you're not.

The statement above typed out by you, says "YOU" ... not "I" or "ME".

If you would have typed...

"BTW: If I have to ask how the ergos are...then the bike isn't the right one for me. Smile "

then you would have been referring to YOURSELF, and not EVERYONE ELSE.  You don't have to use the word "everyone" to infer to everyone.  The use of YOU in your original sentence refers to everyone reading the sentance.

You were talking about everyone, not about youself ... and were inferring that anyone asking about the 1098's eros shouldn't buy the bike because "...then the bike isn't the right one for you".

Go back to English comprehension school.  Crazy Lol

Perhaps you (as in you directly) should go back to English comprehension school.  Or at least understand English words.  You are pissing me off.

Look up the meaning of you.  Oh here I did it for you.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/you

you     /yu; unstressed yʊ, yə/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[yoo; unstressed yoo, yuh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation pronoun, possessive your or yours, objective you, plural you; noun, plural yous.
–pronoun 1. the pronoun of the second person singular or plural, used of the person or persons being addressed, in the nominative or objective case: You are the highest bidder. It is you who are to blame. We can't help you. This package came for you. Did she give you the book? 
2. one; anyone; people in general: a tiny animal you can't even see.
3. (used in apposition with the subject of a sentence, sometimes repeated for emphasis following the subject): You children pay attention. You rascal, you! 
4. Informal. (used in place of the pronoun your before a gerund): There's no sense in you getting upset. 
5. Archaic. a. yourself; yourselves: Get you home. Make you ready. 
b. a pl. form of the pronoun ye. 

–noun 6. something or someone closely identified with or resembling the person addressed: Don't buy the bright red shirt—it just isn't you. It was like seeing another you. 
7. the nature or character of the person addressed: Try to discover the hidden you. 

I bolded the defination of "you" that I was using in my sentence of "BTW: If you have to ask how the ergos are...then the bike isn't the right one for you."  So yes I was referening to "everyone" in general.  Thus my statement about how can my statement be false since "I" am included in everyone true. 

1moreroad
Motard Tourer?

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '07, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 08 WR250X
GPS: MidSouth
Miles Typed: 3740

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2007, 02:02:47 PM »

BIKE UK did a write-up on the Duc 1098.  It looks like the ergos split the difference between the 998 and the 999.  The 999 was the relaxed ride.  The 1098 gas tank is wider.  The seat is tilted forward.  It has the same width but less length compared to the 999.  Seat height is higher.  The gas tank width and seat length were done in response to racers having a harder time squeezing the 999 tank and to moving around under hard acceleration on the 999 too much.  The seat height and tilt were done because they look more stylish.  Rolleyes  Ah well, it's Italian.

They had a sidebar piece about Duc reliability.  Some of it was logical -- valve adjustments are now purely mileage based and not time based.  Showa suspension servicing is now the same as for Japanese bikes using the same components.  This one was scary IMO -- the 998s and 999s required the fuel filter to be inspected or changed at some low mileage (600 mile service?) because Ducati used to accept gas tanks from vendors that were not completely finished inside.  IOW little bits of metal might be floating around in the gas tank of your brand new bike.  Crazy

The government can't regulate common sense or outlaw stupidity. -anon
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal