Poll
Question: What raises the hair on the back of your neck when riding?
Deer or other critters - 53 (20.9%)
Cell phones - 18 (7.1%)
Gravel or oil spills - 88 (34.6%)
Leo with a laser - 19 (7.5%)
Poor drivers - 61 (24%)
Other - 15 (5.9%)
Total Voters: 241

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Fear  (Read 17097 times)

MDHCO
Still a

Reputation 10

GPS: Thornton, Colorado
Miles Typed: 364

My Photo Gallery

Honda ST1100

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2006, 10:15:47 am »

Deer, drivers on cell phones, gravel or oil spills, speed traps, old men wearing hats in light colored minivans, what sets off the alarms?

Bigsmile Right
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

scubadoguk
To far from the ocean

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08
Miles Typed: 201

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 10:56:21 am »

I take the veiw they are all poor drivers and some a lot more than others also I am always reminded that I may have the RIGHT of way but they have the TONNAGE

Indiana, to far from the Ocean
Bodhi
Incurable Cynic

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '06, '08
Motorcycles: '05 Ducati ST3
GPS: Raleigh, NC
Miles Typed: 3281

My Photo Gallery

Don't let your Karma run over your Dogma!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 11:06:00 am »

The only thing to fear is fear itself.

Really - I didn't make that up!

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/dogbert1/Funny%20Pics/POLICE1-SMALL_1.jpg   I might not live forever, but I'm going to die trying
Advertisement

atypical1

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 11:22:00 am »

Gravel still makes me nervous. I am cool with poor drivers (I expect everyone to be a poor driver), cops, etc. But gravel always makes me more cautious than I need to be.
bubba zanetti

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 11:27:01 am »

Spills. I hit one two years ago .. ouch.
Thor

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '02 ZX9
Miles Typed: 699

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 11:31:54 am »

Gravel still makes me nervous. I am cool with poor drivers (I expect everyone to be a poor driver), cops, etc. But gravel always makes me more cautious than I need to be.

I think it is O.K. to be cautious around gravel.  I still like to slide through it every so often.

I don't get full on fear, but I did scare the crap out of myself this year.  I just got a new camera and was looking at a house with a business sign on it out in the middle of nowhere as I rode by thinking it might make an interesting picture.  When I looked up there was no road and just trees.  Either their wasn't a sign or I missed it.  I jumped like someone jumped out of the closet as your about to go to bed!

Fortunately, I could tell that the road turned to the right and I heeled it over and made the turn.

I don't look at things to take pictures of anymore.  I stop and turn around if I think it might be interesting.
Bodhi
Incurable Cynic

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 11:38:24 am »

Seriously - I've been a few situations where clear split-second thinking and fast reaction saved my ass. I'm not saying I'm technically a great rider, but I am saying that keeping a cool head can get you out of some bad situations where a panic reaction may not. Twice in the past three years I was involved in a hairy situation involving wheel lockup or a car moving into my path without warning, and survived without going down. Lucky? Maybe.

But I noticed even in these critical situtations, my heart rate didn't fly off the scale, I didn't panic and squeeze the brakes. I distinctly remember thinking through my options and course of action: ease off the brakes a little, straighten out, clutch in, brake, glance to the left, ease off brake, swerve into safe area in the paved median, brake to a stop. I was a bit surprised my heart wasn't going nuts. I just sat there for a few seconds thinking "holy $&#%" - like in those VW commercials. I don't know where this coolness comes from - practice, skill, or more likely just an innate thing. It honestly seemed like a better rider had taken over for me.

I'm not trying to boast, I am trying to say that keeping cool when you need to be able to think and react quickly is essential. Fear - when it paralyzes you IMO is a big killer.

Poor drivers is my choice from your list of external things to be "afraid" of. You just cannot predict this hazard in advance, you can only assume the worst from every driver and scan around and always have a plan B ready.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 11:43:14 am by Bodhi » Logged

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f128/dogbert1/Funny%20Pics/POLICE1-SMALL_1.jpg   I might not live forever, but I'm going to die trying
Leanintree
Waiting for #3...

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '02 ZRX1200R, '02 Bandit600
GPS: Loveland, right on the edge of Kalirado
Miles Typed: 3417

My Photo Gallery

Bah. This year sucks.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 11:54:16 am »

I'm up for 'poor drivers', but with one caveat... I expect a lot of drivers to be piss poor at operating their vehicle, but what freaks me out is Uber-agressive drivers that put many people at risk. 65 in a 30. switching lanes like its Nascar. Smoking the tires at stoplights. Erratic lane position. Bombing down packed streets, tailgating anyone who can't or won't get over.

Don't get me wrong, I may go faster than traffic, but I don't try to force people out of my way. The obvious powerr tripping meth-smoker freaks me out. I'll take any option to get away from them, be it slowing, turning, twisting on it or selecting alternate routing. I can envision way to many bad scenarios growing out of being anywhere near these fruit-loops.

I can foresee problems and solutions with dumb people. Dumb *angry* people are a different story.

Leanintree

'02 ZRX1200R  - Commutasaurus Rex, '02 Bandit600 - Appropriate name STILL pending

---Guns and bikes, peanut butter and jelly. See the comparison? One's just stickier.
Mr Sunshine

Reputation -14

Years Contributed: '06, '09
GPS: Redmond, Wa
Miles Typed: 7538

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 02:30:05 pm »

Not one thing.  It depends what I see when I am out there.

You can't pigeon hole this sort of thing.
Guy

Reputation 19

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Miles Typed: 2375

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 06:23:00 pm »

All if these, if it is unexpected. When, the animal/cop/driver blindsides you, completely from out of left field. It can make the heart race.
Black Ice

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: '04 ZZ-R 1200 "Diana"
GPS: In your head
Miles Typed: 4364

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 07:59:16 pm »

Deer or other critters--Not a real big problem.  Sure it's unnerving rolling through the roads around here during elk season, but there's usually a chance to avoid them.  And if they take me down, at least I'll have meat in the freezer.  Gotta look on the bright side ya know.   Bigsmile

Cell phones/Poor drivers--Same thing, really.  I expect every cager out there to be a total fucktard at all times, and therefore, it's not really a scary concept.

Leo with a laser--He can laser me all he wants...I got photon torpedoes under the fairing.  So wassup now, bee-yotch? Twofinger

Gravel or oil spills--That's scary.  I've had too many instances where I just ate pavement with no warning at all.  Gravel is one thing, but black ice, diesel and oil can sneak right up on your ass.  It's the one thing you can't anticipate until you're already skidding down the road.  Not cool.   Thumbsdown

mtrider16
Ride Red

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: '13 Interceptor; '13 VStar 950 '09 F800GS '07 CRF250X
GPS: Eastern Montana
Miles Typed: 1705

My Photo Gallery

Riding Montana

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 09:46:44 pm »

Well I put down deer and critters.  While I agree with lots of the other answers, with my current ride the critters seem to be the most likely danger.

David

Montana - Big Sky Country!
lrhzed
havin to much fun

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 06 kawi z750s the fast black one
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 11:10:37 pm »

since i live on several miles of dirt/gravel it doesn't bother me unless its wet/slimy  but if you ever had a deer jump over your front fender or ran over 2 turkeys and a dog in 2 days (somebody was trying to tell me something) you just can;t avoid critters even at 15 mph. but all of it could be a problem if your not paying attention!
reppans

Reputation 12

Miles Typed: 304

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 12:23:48 am »

Deer.... by far.

Already hit 3 on a motorcycle, 2 more in cars.  Can't even count the close calls.  Everything else..... I find reasonably predictable.
stewm_21

Reputation 8

GPS: Toronto"ish" Ontario
Miles Typed: 237

My Photo Gallery

'05 BMW R1200ST

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2006, 11:01:55 am »

The gravel and oil do give me pucker but slow inputs and patience get me through.  Deer- I'll +1 on the meat benefit but I just hope they act like deer and run away or freeze and I can go around the back side.  The one that gets me is the 16-20 y/o that want to play NASCAR and ride my ass or flip lanes like they own the road/know what they are doing and everyone will get out of their way- hate those guys.
Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 46

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4801

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 01:29:23 am »

"Fear is the mind killer"   Cool

Gravel and oil spills do make me a bit unsettled.

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
blackwing
old fart

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: garage queen ZX 14,XR680R motard,crf150 motard,sv650,Husky 450SM
GPS: The wet coast of BC
Miles Typed: 48

My Photo Gallery

my corners are now ok

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 03:09:58 am »

Poor drivers.
After being rear ended and squished between two cars,I'm getting more and more paranoid about riding in cities or heavy traffic.

WERA Nv 665
WMRC Nv 665
Gastropod Racing 2000 SV650(The mighty banana),2008 Husky 450 SM,2001 XR650R SM,CRF150SM
rodm850g
1 of vocal minority

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 79 GS 850 GN,,99 VFR800Fi ,04 ST1300A,'17 Triumph Tiger XCX, 22 Suzi DR650
Miles Typed: 285

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2007, 10:35:26 am »

Guys,
I voted other because there wasn't one for log trucks...over here in Eastern,N.C. we have these vehicles that  Ican't for the life of me know how they get an inspection decal.....crap always falling off....debris, logs! thas all

enough of this talking/typing crap I'm going riding
Bodhi
Incurable Cynic

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2007, 11:03:58 am »

What about the skillions of dump trucks this new housing bubble has put on the road. They have all this junk and small rocks flying out of the back and a threatening sign: KEEP BACK 300 FEET - NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BROKEN WINDSHIELDS.

morayman

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2007, 11:05:53 am »

What scares me most is this time of year here in Florida is Snowbirds.We get all the really old Snowbirds comming down here for the winter and they are either looking around at everything,still driving like they're in the "Back Forty",or just can't drive worth a shit.If you live in Fl. I'm sure you know what I mean.It's the best time of the year to ride,but you have to be extra careful!

Don't take life too seriously,no one gets out alive!
CBRXXBLACKBIRD

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2013 Triumph Explorer & 2007 Speed Triple
GPS: 42.61N -87.86W (Elev. 672 ft)
Miles Typed: 3579

My Photo Gallery

Stealth Wing rider

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2007, 05:42:34 pm »

Gravel or oil spills

Joe.

"I must finally be hitting my 2nd gear shift right, the *&$@! oil light keeps coming on..."
TomGolden

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2004 H-D Sportster 1200 / 2005 Yamaha R1
Miles Typed: 189

My Photo Gallery

Proud Freemason and Shriner - 2 Be 1 Ask 1

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2007, 07:09:10 pm »

My biggest fear has nothing to do with road conditions or other traffic - although I do have a certain level of fear about such things...

My biggest fear is getting off balance when I try to lean "too far" over and end up low siding. I *know* I can do it (hell, I've been to MotoGP and AMA races!!) - I just can't supress the natural response from my brain when I start leaning the bike over. Some day with enough experience - or if/when I finally get to track school, I know I will eventually overcome this fear.
Busy Little Whiner

Reputation -1476

Years Contributed: Nothing but complaints
Years Supported: Nothing but complaints
Miles Typed: 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2007, 09:28:38 pm »

Fear smells... and nothing smells worst that an LOE hiding in the bushes shooting Ka radar... you come
across them and mummer "Oh Shit" too late!!!

« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 12:11:15 pm by Busy Little Shop » Logged
UFO

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2007, 09:41:14 pm »

Using cellphone = poor drivers, so I lump them in the same.

I fear a fooktard behind the wheel of a car.  Crazy
ST-DocLizard1
Serial Monogamist

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '04 ST1300A, '03 CB900F3, '92 CBR600F2, '82 GL1100, '81 CB750FE
GPS: Hampton, N.J.
Miles Typed: 1708

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2007, 09:09:16 am »

All of the above will make me take notice, but black ice will have you kissing the asphalt in the blink of eye.

Doc

Friends Don't Let Friends Early Apex.
Black Ice

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2007, 11:38:12 pm »

All of the above will make me take notice, but black ice will have you kissing the asphalt in the blink of eye.

Doc

Yep...especially once you get off the back after a ride...  Wink  Bigsmile
hawkeyejohn14
Cyclonejack

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2004 BMW R1100SA
GPS: IOWA
Miles Typed: 381

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2007, 10:37:05 am »

I gotta go with deer, can't usually see them, very unpredictable, seem to come out of no where. All the others I can identify and take preventive action.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gra
Ghost Dog
Motorcycling Samurai

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '05 Sprint
Miles Typed: 572

My Photo Gallery

Ride first; ask questions later.

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2007, 10:39:28 am »

I have honestly never had a deer run anywhere near in front of me. But bad drivers - almost every day - almost every ride, at least one does something to scare me - like drifting across a lane without signaling (why do the big american suv's seem to always do this? Headscratch ) Or start inching forward from a side street so you don't know if they see you or not. Stuff like that.

So you think you can tell   heaven from hell?
Bodhi
Incurable Cynic

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2007, 11:11:28 am »

When some numbnut in an SUV (or whatever) just decides to swerve into your lane because it will save him/her 5 seconds on the way to work or picking up the rugrat.

BlueRidgeKat
STN Member Since 7-03 Contributor, Location Virginia

Reputation 11

Miles Typed: 811

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2007, 08:58:31 pm »

Gravel and oil spills do make me a bit unsettled.

Same here, I can understand why this one is currently leading in the poll.
Ant
Resident PB&J Hater

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 2015 GTR1400, 2006 Bandit 650, 1982 Bonneville T140E (in need of rennovation!)
GPS: Cotswolds, UK
Miles Typed: 3957

My Photo Gallery

Si non confectus, reficiat

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2007, 03:25:43 pm »

oil is definitely my first and foremost fear - followed by gravel. As someone said, I ride as if every driver is a terrorist hiding an RPG and am extremely careful about other road users. The one that really got my heart pumping was the other day when I was coming off a roundabout and accelerating relatively hard I hit a diesel slick and the back end slid right out leaving me perpendicular to the standard travel of the road! I have no idea how I got the instinct to save me from crashing the bike but I thank every deity I can think of that I didn't!! Instead I was left with both feet on the ground, either side of the bike wondering why I was facing the wrong way. I had to get off and look at the road to see the diesel.

Its the unseen that freaks me out.
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), St Triple 765 R (low), Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2007, 10:09:28 am »

I am always reminded that I may have the RIGHT of way but they have the TONNAGE

I've always phrased that as: my right-of-way can never override their weight.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
jhonda41
Joe E. Honda

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 95 900RR
GPS: Bronx
Miles Typed: 9

My Photo Gallery

coast to coast

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2007, 05:46:51 am »

Bad drivers.... I just expect it

Deer...  usually over before it happens and you either have a way out or you dont know what hit ya.

Oil/gravel....  specifically the unavoidable variety that can put you down in almost any turn. Thumbsdown This of course why I ride with something in reserve on the street.

-jh
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 06:06:35 pm by jhonda41 » Logged

If you love your bike set it free, if it comes back to you, you probably highsided.
Sameraz

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '96 Ninja 250
Miles Typed: 62

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2007, 01:50:51 am »

Sort of all of the above, but probably least for the cops, there just aren't too many out where I like to ride fast.  Add fallen trees and boulders around corners though.  EEK!

Deer...feh, all over the place, but I guess I am lucky, or I understand what they tend to do, since I find them to be pretty predictable.  Then again, if I see sign of them at all, I slow waaaay the hell down.

Gravel, usually I see traces before its a problem.
kevin_stevens

Reputation -9

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: BMW S1000RR, Buell 1125CR
GPS: I'm right here!
Miles Typed: 5936

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2007, 02:26:32 am »

I checked "oil/gravel", because that's the greatest risk to me, but a far greater *threat* (many more try to kill me, but many more are avoidable) are the freaking cell phone drivers.

I was coming home this afternoon, and in front of me was a BRAND NEW 845i, still dealer plates on it, weaving all over the road.  Left his lane three times in two miles (to both sides), in heavy 60mph freeway traffic.  Sure enough, cell phone stuck in his ear (probably three more conversations on builtin car phones at the same time).  I mean, if you got a new $$$$ BMW, wouldn't you at least want to make it home from the dealership before wrecking it?!?

KeS
RideAboutNow

Reputation 10

GPS: Oregon
Miles Typed: 131

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2007, 12:46:11 pm »

I've had more "browned shorts" incidents from gravel than any others on the list. When roads around here get icy they sand the roads with "road colored" crushed gravel. Long after the freeze is gone, this gravel will linger in some corners of lightly traveled roads, in the center of the lane between tire tracks. Nasty stuff, I've had at least 3 near tragic encounters with the stuff. Although I don't really worry about it in the summer and fall, it's always in the back of my mind, which sometimes takes a bit of the edge off my fun.

Second on my list is "mom" in the giant SUV (often on a cellphone to boot)...scary. "Do you see me?!?!...F***!!!"

"Don't worry scro!"
Cpl Punishment

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '07, '08
GPS: The Queen Mother's Lap
Miles Typed: 5062

My Photo Gallery

27.23 GBP Sock Puppet, and harbinger of reason.

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2007, 03:23:27 pm »

Second on my list is "mom" in the giant SUV (often on a cellphone to boot)...scary. "Do you see me?!?!...F***!!!"

You call em SUVs, I call em Chelsea Tractors. Burn them all. Without pity.

So, what is a sock puppet?
Motorin

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 95 Kaw Gpz1100, 82 Honda CB900f
Miles Typed: 24

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2007, 01:53:33 pm »

I also checked gravel or oil spills (been there done that). Last summer heading home from work on a divided hwy,I just cleared a rise/hill in road and all over the road in both lanes was the larger decorative rock that you see usually around homes  EEK!. Fortunitely there was a car way out in front of me and I just followed their tire path  Crazy. And a couple of miles up the road came upon the culprit, a semi style dump truck with the tail gate swinging in the wind  Rolleyes
toodles

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 1200RT BMW valkyrie V Rod
Miles Typed: 26

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2007, 01:13:58 pm »

They are all crappy drivers as far as I'm concerned but cell phones I take real close attention to.
mcoyote
Occam's Razorblade

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 1224

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2007, 01:30:22 pm »

Where is "out of ammo"?

"Professional coder on closed source. Do not attempt."

'05 Yamaha R1 ("Squid Rescue Bike")
Black Ice

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2007, 09:58:26 pm »

Where is "out of ammo"?

Lmao  Hail
bandit-o

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2007, 11:03:20 am »

I checked gravel - that was what caused me to have my first low-sider on an on-ramp Crazy

Thank God for a nice soft grassy field to slide on...
Mini4x
B12S

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 06 Speed Triple (as of 1/27/07 still in the box)
Miles Typed: 306

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2007, 08:57:54 pm »

I chose "Other" but I wanted an "All of the above" option.
Rabidsnipe

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: None
GPS: Edmond, OK
Miles Typed: 1123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2007, 12:37:13 pm »

Fear on a bike was introduced to me early.

I pull the bike out of the truck to ride around a church parking lot (maybe 10 cars in the whole lot).  I've never ridden a motorcycle, dirt bike, scooter, etc.  I'm riding around minding my own business when a car backs right out in front of me.  Instincts take over, I swerve, and go on my merry way.  I still don't think they saw me.

-Chase
Stormer

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2019 BMW GS 1200 Adventure
GPS: Brazil
Miles Typed: 101

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2007, 02:37:01 pm »

Gravel.
Almost killed me once.

Sorry the bad English.
blackbeltrider

Reputation 12

Miles Typed: 310

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2007, 08:01:00 pm »

1. Interstate riding in heavy traffic at night, in the rain. Everyone just seems to want to have a close-up look at the wet biker.

2. Getting rear ended - one time a moron in an SUV passed by me on the right about a foot away and ended up stopped with his front end about 2 feet past the car in front of me after traffic stopped suddenly due to an accident on the freeway. It was fortunate the car in front had moved as far left as he could, and I had moved from the right to the left side of the lane we were in - it gave Mr. cell-phone-using-moron-SUV pilot some run-off room.

It brought a flashback of the time my older brother got rear ended by a car - it punched the bike right out from under him, pinned him against the grill, and when the car left the road into the ditch, he dropped down in front and it just rolled over him full length.  
basco

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: 09 BMW R1200 GSA
GPS: Colorado Springs, CO
Miles Typed: 3023

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2007, 08:27:13 pm »

I had more run-ins with gravel / sand / oil than any other. Bad drivers I just expect it. Deer, I only come close a few times in the many years of riding but I did see Cricket1's run-in with a deer last year at the national.

STN Nationals: 09, 08, 06
ESTN: 07, 05, 04
R4: 04, 05 R3: 08
ZED

Reputation 1

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: '05 Kawi KLR 685 street tard, '07 Ducati ST3s, '13 CRF250R Supermotard, '15 yz25fx
GPS: Calgary, AB, CA
Miles Typed: 1645

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2007, 08:52:27 pm »

1.  Bridges with metal grating for a deck

2. Gravel - even though I'll ride my KLR distances over the stuff, including my commute to work, I doubt I'll ever be comfortable on loose gravel.

Life is a highway...or a dirt road!
Tread Lightly. Dirt bike with street tires!
http://www.rockymountainmotards.com
Black Ice

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2007, 10:04:36 pm »

I had more run-ins with gravel / sand / oil than any other. Bad drivers I just expect it. Deer, I only come close a few times in the many years of riding but I did see Cricket1's run-in with a deer last year at the national.

I'm pretty glad I didn't see it.  I hope someone saved the venison.   Bigsmile
ruffcut
xtreem dancer

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 259

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2007, 10:32:50 pm »

I chose critters though any of the answers work. The one that scares me was`nt there. While cresting a blind hill I harbor this fear that a farmer will be backing a load of hay out onto the roadway. Maybe after I get a little more experiance I wont worry so much.
zoid

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 97

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2007, 03:33:11 am »

Aliens. I'm constantly looking over my shoulder wondering if there is a spaceship hovering nearby. What is it with them and their damn anal probes anyway?

Live hard, Ride fast, and brush after every meal
basco

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: 09 BMW R1200 GSA
GPS: Colorado Springs, CO
Miles Typed: 3023

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2007, 04:03:36 pm »

I'm pretty glad I didn't see it.  I hope someone saved the venison.   Bigsmile

Nah, we had other concerns. Besides, the deer was toast.

STN Nationals: 09, 08, 06
ESTN: 07, 05, 04
R4: 04, 05 R3: 08
Leanintree
Waiting for #3...

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: '02 ZRX1200R, '02 Bandit600
GPS: Loveland, right on the edge of Kalirado
Miles Typed: 3417

My Photo Gallery

Bah. This year sucks.

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2007, 10:55:10 pm »

Saw this today, and the colors were interesting. Then I realized it was the enemy... (leading with 33.5%)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/LEANINTREE/STUFF/FEAR.jpg

Leanintree

'02 ZRX1200R  - Commutasaurus Rex, '02 Bandit600 - Appropriate name STILL pending

---Guns and bikes, peanut butter and jelly. See the comparison? One's just stickier.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal