Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: FZ1 questions...  (Read 86956 times)

GhostRider67

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2004 Yamaha FZ1, CB125, CB700sc Nighthawk
Miles Typed: 3

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2008, 04:03:45 pm »

I am seriously considering buying a Yamaha FZ1.  I 'think' it's going to be the perfect bike for me.  I had a 92 GS500E, fun but too slow and NO wind protection, I had a 2001 R1 FUN FUN FUN, but was SOOOO uncomfortable on it, I miss that bike.  I've had various older bikes (Mostly CB's) but I want something that's FUN, comfortable on longer rides and reliable.  Something I can jump on and ride to Tahoe (I live in Stockton about 2 1/2 hours away) anytime I want.  SOOO...  any former or current FZ1 owners out there?  I am leaning towards first generation as it fits my budget.  What year IS the first generation?  When does it change to the second generation?  Is the motor REALLY similar to the R1's?  I loved everything about my R1 except the riding position and lack of comfort and lack of wind protection.  Anyway any help would be appreciated!
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

SuperSlider

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Kawasaki C14 aka The Tank
GPS: Dallastown, PA
Miles Typed: 472

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 04:34:19 pm »

I owned one for for almost five years. They went to the new style in '06, totally different bike. The general consensus it that the first generation were better bikes. The good... great engine decent low end and really kickin on top, very smooth. The handling is really good in the twisties and fairly stable on the highway. The seating position is upright and comfortable. I thought the stock seat was decent and never felt the need to mess with it. The headlights are great, some of the best of any bike I've had. The fz1oa website is great and there are plenty of aftermarket goodies available. The motor is an r1 motor with different cams and intakes for more midrange punch. I always thought it was a great looking bike.

The bad... The wind protection is not great at highway speeds. Not that it's terrible but I and many others found the buffeting to be tiresome after several hours. The whole fairing sits too far forward and there isn't a clear cut solution. Some things will help but will create problems in other areas, it's a trade off. The stock suspension while fully adjustable is certainly where they cut corners to keep the price down. It does the job but if you are used to quality suspension you'll want to upgrade a few things. Springs, valves new rear shock that sort of thing. (as your budget permits) All you want to know about that stuff can be found on the fz1oa site.

The fz1 is a reliable, fun, comfortable and fast bike. It makes a pretty good tourer and is three quarters sportbike just don't expect it to be perfect at everything.

Faster than a speeding Concours, more powerful than a twisty road, able to plow through muddy ditches in a single bound, it's a bird, it's a plane, no..... It's SuperSlider!
atlantic

Reputation 0

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 2002 Yamaha FZ1
Miles Typed: 13

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 04:39:59 pm »

It's a great bike.  I can't compare to an R1, but it has oodles of power.  It's very reliable and easy to work on.  I believe the 1st gen ran from 2001-2004.  I have an '02.

The riding position is excellent. In stock form, the windscreen is mediocre.  For sport-touring, I would replace with a new windscreen from here:  http://www.ceebaileys.com/yamaha/fz1ws.html

I highly doubt you will be disappointed if you pick one up.  http://yamahafz1oa.com/ is a great resource.

Doug

Advertisement

bamarider

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 08 Ducati Multistrada, 02 BMW K1200LT, 05 Yamaha FZ1
Miles Typed: 81

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 05:59:28 pm »

You won't be disappointed with a 1st gen fz1 (2001-2005). I have an 05 that I've had for 2 yrs and I really like it. Ditto what 4power said about the engine and it will do it on regular gas and I avg. 45mpg if I don't get to carried away with the throttle. You'll want to do some suspension work unless you weigh 160lbs. or less. I just replaced fork & shock springs on mine. Lee @ traxxion dynamics is the person to go to for help with that. Join the fz1oa those guys are a wealth of knowledge, you will find a link to traxxion dynamics from there.
Eric S
Mature squid

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Yamaha FZ1
GPS: Boring, Oregon
Miles Typed: 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 08:42:36 pm »

My '04 FZ1 is perfect for me.  It's great for city riding, twisty roads and 2-3,000 mile rides.  I have ridden over 36,000 miles with zero issues.
KagA152

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 06 FZ1, 08 WR250R
GPS: Roscoe, IL
Miles Typed: 228

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 11:49:39 pm »

i absolutely love my 2nd gen, but i have no experience with a 1st to compare however.
Hickey
Farmer Bill

Reputation 41

Motorcycles: Street Triple R
GPS: Camp Grove, IL
Miles Typed: 2783

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 09:33:38 am »

I had a second generation FZ1 and loved it.  It handled very well and the added wind protection (compared to a fully naked bike) was welcome.  It was light, the riding posture was spot on for me, vibration levels were low, the mirrors worked (which can be rare these days), the headlights cast a good spread of light, it had a factory installed center stand, made nice sounds, and had good gauges.

I tended to average around 40 MPG which brought the low fuel light on at around 160 miles.  It does have a fuel gauge, so you can keep an eye on your fuel usage as you go.  There are aftermarket luggage solutions out there.  I tried a Givi top box that worked very well, if not looked particularly stylish.

My only real complaints about the bike center on the seat.  I tried an aftermarket (Sargent Saddle) seat that helped, but not enough.  And although the tank is narrow at the seat, it widens out considerably at the knees.  I simply could not get comfortable enough on the bike for 3+ hour rides.  The rear seat is a joke on the order of typical super sport seats and stubby enough to make soft luggage packing a challenge.  

I will admit to being extraordinarily picky about seats and that I was forcing a perfectly good motorcycle into a role for which it was not intended.  There are plenty of people who have no issue with the FZ1 seat and/or use it as a long range sport tourer with great success.  It is a versatile and well made machine.

Without exception, I'd rather know an upsetting fact than believe a comforting lie.
goodhawk

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 539

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 10:53:51 am »

I love the look of 2 nd gen. FZ1 - to me, in the maroon, it may be best lookin inline 4 ever.  the 2 nd gen. is somewhat more sports oriented, the first ( tube frame ) more touring, thou capable of ultra illegal speeds . . .  big problem with 2 nd gen ( current ) to me is, tank is a gallon or more too small.
sitting next to a Suzuki SV 1000 in showroom ( bikes with similar, almost exact same capabilities ) it looked like the  2 nd gen FZ 1 had much, much better ' fit and finish ' , thou who knows, maybe dealer just made more $$$ selling  them.
goto
T a n s t a a f l

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 1981 XS400 - 2001 FZ1
GPS: Valley of the Furnace
Miles Typed: 150

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 10:01:11 pm »

I am with Eric, but with an '01.
My biggest problem with the bike, is the insurance companies...

I am lieing.
bamarider

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 08 Ducati Multistrada, 02 BMW K1200LT, 05 Yamaha FZ1
Miles Typed: 81

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 09:40:05 am »

The insurance on my 05 isn't to high, I think it's less than $400 per year. I also have another bike insured and am 50 years old, so that may have something to do with it. Check with progessive, that who I have my bikes insured with.
EZAS

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2005 FZ1
Miles Typed: 154

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 10:28:06 am »

I have an 05 Which is the first gen. 1st Gen is 01 -05 and there is no real difference between 01-05 (just a few very minor tweaks). 01-03 had silver engine and 04-05 had black engines. There has been two special paint jobs, yellow/black (Bee) and black/silver (Skunk).

I have been super happy with it. Its light enough to be fun and big enough to do a longer day and enough power to take a passenger without loosing all performance.  I don't have as much problem with the seat as some do and have not felt the need to 'upgrade' it. I added the Zero Gravity Double Bubble windscreen and that is just about perfect for me. When I ride the bike I always feel like I am on the perfect all around bike. If you rode the R1 and liked it you will like the FZ1 since it has the same 5 valve engine but tuned for more all-around riding. I get anywhere from 160-220 miles to the tank depending on how I ride. The bike runs fine out of the box but a jet kit (from 'Ivan' or Holeshot) and S/O pipe really bring out the best and makes the bike easier to start. The stock gearing is a good compromise between sport and touring but a lot of people like to go down 1 tooth to help with taking off in first.
gchidest

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2002 fz1,2003 fjr,2004 yz250f
GPS: Ft.Wayne,IN
Miles Typed: 19

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 02:39:50 pm »

EZAS pretty much summed it up.  The Gen I FZ1 is on of the most versitle bikes.  You can't go wrong with it.  In stock form, it is almost to perfect, it needs a personall touch.  I put a Ti-Force pipe on mine and it really sounds great without being bothersome to other people.  A holeshot or ivans jet kit is also a must do mod.  As for a passenger, comfort is very good.  My wife says the seat is perfect for her after a three hundred mile day.
Connierider
Sportingly wierd

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 159

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 11:04:43 am »

I have a GEN2 FZ1 and abosolutly love it.As good as the gen1 was it's handling doesn't compare.And if you get a end of the year '06 or newer GEN2 the mapping glitches are taken care of.

EX650&ZX6J "Scooter and Stella"
DDFZ1

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2012 ZX14r
GPS: heber spgs,AR
Miles Typed: 66

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 06:56:31 pm »

I have an 03 that I got used with only 3k miles.  I installed a Ivan Jet kit and it solved the lean bottom end and starting problems.  I filled the handle bars with lead shot to numb the vibrations.  I also added a Cee Bailey +6" clear shield.
I just got a Corbin seat and so far it is much better than the stock seat.
Santhos

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Yamaha FZ1
GPS: Ohio
Miles Typed: 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 10:38:13 pm »

I've clocked over 42,000 trouble free miles on my 03 bee.  As you can see from my avatar, I have added the ducati bags which I got off ebay and use the ceebailey screen if I an going far.  I've done over 1200 miles in a 24 hr period and was fine the next day.  I do have a custom seat though.   Thumbsup  It's a great bike!  I've done a couple of 3000 mile weeks on it, and it suits me very well.  
horse1200s

Reputation 10

GPS: Oak Creek, WI
Miles Typed: 75

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 11:15:30 am »

I just purchased a 2nd Gen and from the little riding I have done on it, about 450 miles, I love it! Power, comfort, handling, the whole package!

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd199/krezins2/map.jpg
Bikeless... What's next?
2005 Suzuki DL650 (Sold) 2006 Suzuki Gsx-R 1000  (Sold) 2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200s (Sold) 2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM
00buck

Reputation 0

GPS: Victoria, BC, Canada
Miles Typed: 70

My Photo Gallery

bcmike in a former life

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 12:38:32 am »

I've owned two Gen 1 FZ1's. Very happy with both. The 02 was problem free for 50,000 km. My current 05 has 20,000 km.   Sargent seat, Hindle slip-on, Ventura rack, taller windscreen, frame sliders, Extenda Fenda, otherwise stock. I run Pirelli Diablo Strada tires.  Thumbsup

likes dirt
Connierider
Sportingly wierd

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 159

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 12:21:28 pm »

I've owned two Gen 1 FZ1's. Very happy with both. The 02 was problem free for 50,000 km. My current 05 has 20,000 km.   Sargent seat, Hindle slip-on, Ventura rack, taller windscreen, frame sliders, Extenda Fenda, otherwise stock. I run Pirelli Diablo Strada tires.  Thumbsup
How many miles are you getting out of the  Strada's? I almost put 'em on my Gen2 but went with the Pilot Road 2ct's.I guess I might try the Pirelli's next time.I would mind a little better feed back from the frt than the Michelins are giving.

EX650&ZX6J "Scooter and Stella"
Arctic Pirate

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2005 yamaha fz1
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 09:07:03 pm »

I own a first gen 05 fz1 and love the heck out of it I put about 2k miles on it every summer. Got a problem though Got a crack in the crank case the shop guys said I could patch it with JB but I don't like that idea. The only other alternative is to replace the case. $1200 and $900 labor "CRAP". Does anyone know whether the engines from the 02, 03, 04, 06, models are compatible with the 2005 model? Any help would be a great help not only to me but my wallet as well. Thanks all.
badmayonaise

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: FZ1
Miles Typed: 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 10:57:02 pm »

Love my FZ1.  It's a super comfy sportbike.  and's great for sport touring.  Jack of all trades, master of none.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal