Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 23   Go Down
Print

Topic: STN's Pool of Knowledge for Women Riders  (Read 86917 times)

LicketySplat
Not the droid you're looking for

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '02 YZF600R, '05 SV650S
Miles Typed: 493

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2008, 02:27:51 PM »

Lickety... I do have heavy periods, but I'm not squeamish... just what sort of prep are we talking... a mop and bucket???

Lol

Wash hands, get a couple of paper towels wet (bring your own since not all public restrooms have paper towels) - one to wipe off the cup (so it's not too dry), one for yourself. That's all  Thumbsup

Hold my beer and watch this.
Jeff N

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2008, 01:44:45 AM »

I'm just gonna post the link and get the hell outta here.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=32182
Tyrroneous
Slow Attack Cow

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '07 Triumph Daytona 675, 2000 SV650N, '03 XR400R, '98 XR200R, '08 KLX140, '04 CRF70, '81 PW50
GPS: Caledonia, MS
Miles Typed: 2318

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2008, 08:32:14 PM »

This is Mrs. Tyrroneous using my husband's screen name-- in need of some womanly advice!?!  I have long hair that I usually pull into a low ponytail.  My problem is that whenever I put on or take off my helmet, it tugs on my hair.  It's quite painful and I would prefer not to lose anymore hair than I have to.  EEK! Does anyone have any suggestions?  I've heard of skull caps, but wasn't sure if that was a good solution.

Ride On...
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 49

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '09 Honda Transalp
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 14062

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2008, 08:39:57 PM »

Mrs T ( Bigsmile)

I had the same problem. My solution probably won't work for you, but I just cut my hair off Shrug  It feels great and doesn't look half bad, either  Cool

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.
Mrs.BMW-K

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2007 F650GS
GPS: SoCal
Miles Typed: 210

My Photo Gallery

Balancing flawed certainties with perfect unknowns

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2008, 11:58:12 PM »

I use a really thin neck gator (sp?) that I picked up at a sporting goods store (Chicks??).  It was in the ski section.  I pull it over my head as if I was going to pull it on my neck, but I leave it covering my head, and then slide my helmet on.  It keeps all those hairs from being pulled out, and had the added benefit of keeping those little hairs from tickling my nose inside the helmet.  It also keeps me from getting wind burn on my neck, or abrasion from the helmet strap.

It's not the most attractive thing in the world, but then, helmet hair isn't exactly glamorous!

Riding is a visceral experience; each mile brushes across you physically and imprints itself on you.
--~0
-_ /-_ (*)>(*)            (image credit to nwscubamom @ ADV)
stefrrr

Reputation 7

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: Only one
GPS: At the bottom of a hill with a name
Miles Typed: 6546

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2008, 11:49:30 AM »

Buy a Buff. Use it the same way Mrs.BMW-K uses her gaiter.

I put it around my neck, flip my head upside down, pull the buff out straight (sort of like a chef's had), kind of pile it on top of my head, and put the helmet on.

It's really lightweight, and my head feels cooler and my hair looks better than without. It helped as well before I got all my hair cut off. I learned the trick from Jobu's girlfriend, and she has really long curly hair. I think it works better for curly hair than my straight hair, but it makes even my hair look better. It also keeps those little straggler hairs from flying in front of your eyes while you're riding.  Thumbsup Thumbsup

I try to put it on really quick and take it off with the helmet, because it's REALLY dorky when it's going on.  Lol

I should add that Buy a Buff is a small company - they were really helpful when I placed my order.  Thumbsup
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 11:51:30 AM by stefrrr » Logged
lionlady
What is this "reading compression" of which you speak?

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: Rockster Limited Edition
GPS: Reisterstown, MD
Miles Typed: 355

My Photo Gallery

BMW R1150R Rockster Ed 80 #196

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2008, 03:08:53 PM »

This is Mrs. Tyrroneous using my husband's screen name-- in need of some womanly advice!?!  I have long hair that I usually pull into a low ponytail.  My problem is that whenever I put on or take off my helmet, it tugs on my hair.  It's quite painful and I would prefer not to lose anymore hair than I have to.  EEK! Does anyone have any suggestions?  I've heard of skull caps, but wasn't sure if that was a good solution.

Try a buff. They come in way cool colors and you can use it as a scrunchie off the bike. www.buffusa.com (they've got a cool video demonstration to click on). I have like 10 different buff thingies. They are easier to wash than my helmet liner and do a great job of concealing helmet hair.

P

Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity.
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 49

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '09 Honda Transalp
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 14062

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2008, 03:29:35 PM »

I used to have a Buff but then I gave it to Bluepoof. Oddly enough, I miss it now  Sad

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 110

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4215

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2008, 04:57:17 PM »

I used to have a Buff but then I gave it to Bluepoof.

I don't think you did.  I bought my own Buff with my REI dividend.   Headscratch

Hockey season starts April 18!  Riding season starts as soon as I get a babysitter. Any takers?
07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
Stargzrgrl
Sticker Fiend aka HelloBorgieStar

Reputation 29

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '07 BMW F800ST, '77 Honda CB550F Super Sport, '08 Yamaha XT 250
GPS: Back in the mundane
Miles Typed: 2049

My Photo Gallery

Unicorns Fart Rainbows.

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2008, 09:45:46 PM »

I recently picked up a few Buffs for myself and the Super Munchkin™ They definitely fit better as a helmet liner than my old method of using a bandanna which didn't always keep all of my hair tucked in.  

When it's colder I like my balaclava.  Just have to get used to the weird looks you will get when you stop and take your helmet off.

"It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw."
stefrrr

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2008, 01:06:32 AM »

I bought a pretty, fluffy blue buff for colder weather. I haven't used it once. I just know it's going to be useful one day!  Embarassment
jsanford
Salmon is the new red

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: '04 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 '07 BMW F800ST '08 Ducati Monster 695
Miles Typed: 1495

My Photo Gallery

Every day is Ride to Work Day

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2008, 05:01:19 PM »

International Female Ride Day, first Friday in May (May 2 this year)

http://www.motoress.com/femalerideday2008.asp

w00t!  I rode both to work and around on both bikes yesterday...guess I celebrated!

'07 BMW F800ST '08  Monster 695   '04 Moto Gu
jsanford
Salmon is the new red

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2008, 05:04:51 PM »

OK, since someone else mentioned periods...I decided to try a Diva cup instead of lugging around a metric ton of tampons this summer.  Anyone use one?  Anything I should watch out for?  Headscratch

I've used one for years, it used to be called something else (The Keeper I think) and made of rubber instead of silicone. First heard about it when I was racing bicycles.

They're great, but start to leak when they get full, but once you get used to using it that's easy to prevent. Much better than Tampax, though.

jsanford
Salmon is the new red

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2008, 05:08:33 PM »

As for the cramps Aleve is the best, take 2 pills, not only does it alleviate the cramps for up to 12 hours but you’ll bleed less…. way less. But you have to take it as soon as you think you're getting your period.

+1 on that; VIVID1's description is right on.

jsanford
Salmon is the new red

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2008, 05:12:29 PM »

Not a skull cap--balaclava. Besides keeping the neck warm, it keeps the hair away from the helmet.

I'm at that awful in-between stage lengthwise right now--too long to be completely covered by the balaclava and under the jacket collar, not long enough to braid effectively.  I rip out knots at the office and, annoyingly, see too much hair during headchecks.  But it's not thick enough for a hair-band.

jsanford
Salmon is the new red

Reputation 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2008, 05:16:57 PM »

Now my question:

For those of you who commute to work regularly by motorcycle--how is that received? I read on CycleAngels about a woman in TX who was asked by her employer to stop doing it, her racing leathers were deemed inappropriate, even to/from the elevator at each end of the day. I've been hypersensitive about my own office since I sprained my ankle biffing the bike last Friday, missing work icing it, and EVERYONE knows.

Not that I'd ever stop (motorcycle parking is free, cars start at $10/day) but I wonder how it's affecting my long-range career prospects at my fairly conservative company.

stefrrr

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2008, 06:44:39 PM »

That's one I sometimes wonder about for my future. My most recent job was pretty casual, so no problem there. My current job is working with my SO, so sometimes I even run deposits and such on the motorcycle. But someday I'll finish law school (someday...) and have a real job. I dunno. Headscratch
Veda

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Kawasaki ER-6N
GPS: Boston
Miles Typed: 24

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2008, 11:31:56 AM »

For those of you who commute to work regularly by motorcycle--how is that received?

I commute to work most days and don't have any problems.  I wear overpants and a motorcycle jacket over my business clothes and take them on and off at my cube.  Sometimes I do feel a bit self conscious walking into the office in full gear.  Some of my co-workers tease me but in a good natured way.  If it became a problem I could take them off in the parking lot and store them in my hard luggage.  

You know, no matter what you do with your life there is always going to be something that some conservative jerk is going to take issue with.  If it's not motorcycle riding maybe it is the fact that you don't wear skirts, or that you're a single mom, or you smoke, etc.  To be honest I think motorcycling may have an advantage as it sets you apart from the other girls and makes you more approachable.  I don't think a day goes by at work that someone doesn't ask me: "how's the bike?"  "did you ride today?"  "great day for a ride,"  etc.  You now have a hobby that everyone is going to know about and it gives them an easy conversation starter.  Just last week I had a VP at my company who I had never spoken to before stop to ask me about my bike.  He is also a rider and gave me kudos for my dedication to ride to work - he said he was not a fan of riding in the cold weather we've been having.  Had it not been for the bike we never would have had a conversation.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 11:33:49 AM by Veda » Logged
fungirl

Reputation 0

Years Contributed: '08
GPS: Richmond, VA
Miles Typed: 77

My Photo Gallery

Forever Wild

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2008, 12:35:06 PM »

I admit I use to take Ibuprofen and all it's alternatives before I found out how damaging they are to your liver.  My liver was in bad enough shape with all the drinking I did long ago, so decided to find out why we get cramps and all of those other miserable symptoms!  

One quick answer:  nutritional deficiency.  Sure enough, supplementing my diet with some vitamins and minerals whisked those cramps away.  The most important ones are

B-6. Vitamin B6 is critical to maintaining hormonal balance.  In most situations, the therapeutic dosage of 50 to 100 mg per day is generally regarded as safe, even for long-term use.

Magnesium which is considered the "antistress" mineral. It is a natural tranquilizer, as it functions to relax skeletal muscles as well as the smooth muscles of blood vessels and the gastrointestinal tract.  As magnesium plays such an integral part in normal cell function, magnesium deficiency may account for the wide range of symptoms attributed to PMS.  The recommended range of magnesium is 300 to 450 mg daily.

Calcium supplementation has produced significant improvements in PMS symptoms in double-blind studies.  It has been found that women with PMS have reduced bone mineral density. The recommended dosage for calcium in PMS is 1,000 to 1,500 mg daily.

(If you take high amounts of calcium daily, you may have a magnesium deficiency. Most experts suggest that your calcium: magnesium ration should be 2:1. In other words, if you take 1500 mg of calcium daily through diet and supplementation, you should try to consume at least 750 mg of magnesium daily as well. this may help prevent an imbalance from occurring. Magnesium and calcium supplements should be taken at different times to allow for better absorption of each of these minerals.)

Zinc levels have been shown to be lower in women who have PMS. Zinc is required for proper action of many body hormones, including sex hormones, as well as in the control of the secretion of hormones. The suggested range for zinc supplementation is 15 to 20 mg.

There are also some important dietary factors you should take into consideration as well.
Reduce or eliminate the amount of animal products in the diet, and increase consumption of fiber-rich plant foods, including fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes).

Considerable evidence suggests that caffeine consumption is strongly related to the presence and severity of PMS. Therefore, caffeine must also be avoided by women with PMS. The effect of caffeine is particularly significant in the psychological symptoms associated with PMS, such as anxiety, irritability, insomnia, and depression. If breast tenderness and fibrocystic breast disease are the major symptoms as caffeine has an adverse effect on the way estrogen stimulates breast tissue.

There is also evidence phytoestrogens may exert a balancing effect when estrogen levels are high as is commonly seen in the premenstrual syndrome (PMS). The consumption of soy foods is the most economical, and possibly the most beneficial, way to increase the intake of phytoestrogens. Vitamin B6 also has an affect on the metabolism of estrogen. Vitamin B 6 is high in yams, leafy green vegetables and legumes.

Excessive salt consumption, coupled with diminished dietary potassium, greatly stresses the kidneys' ability to maintain proper fluid volume. As a result some people are "salt-sensitive," in that high salt intake causes high blood pressure or, in other cases, water retention. In general, it is a good idea to avoid salt if you have PMS. If you tend to notice more water retention during the latter part of your menstrual cycle, reducing your salt intake is an absolute must.

Now, I'm off to order that Diva Cup!!  Yee Ha!!!

My mother used to say that there are no strangers, only friends you haven't met yet. She's now in a maximum security prison in Afganistan.
stefrrr

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2008, 12:42:18 PM »

Magnesium which is considered the "antistress" mineral. It is a natural tranquilizer, as it functions to relax skeletal muscles as well as the smooth muscles of blood vessels and the gastrointestinal tract.  As magnesium plays such an integral part in normal cell function, magnesium deficiency may account for the wide range of symptoms attributed to PMS.  The recommended range of magnesium is 300 to 450 mg daily.

Oh, I forgot about magnesium! I take that (when I remember), and it's beneficial ANY time of the month!  Thumbsup
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal