Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 23   Go Down
Print

Topic: STN's Pool of Knowledge for Women Riders  (Read 187616 times)

November

Reputation 0

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: DL650K7, '06 GS500F
Miles Typed: 446

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2008, 10:27:11 pm »

I ride to work on occassion and haven't had any problems. I work with mostly men and they all are cool about it. A couple of them are Harley riders so I don't think they "get" all my gear and choice of bike, but to each their own.

I think I make more of an issue of it then anyone else (at least in my head). I feel a bit self-conscious walking in with all my gear on and try to get out of it asap in my office. Going to buy a topbox soon and de-gear in the parking lot once I have it.

Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Southern Belle
Pho Shizzle!

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2000 Suzuki SV650
Miles Typed: 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2008, 10:48:00 pm »

Thanks for the idea about the Buffs y'all.  Looks like another item needs to be added to my shopping list!   Lol

I'm Mrs. Tyrroneous.
LicketySplat
Not the droid you're looking for

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '02 YZF600R, '05 SV650S
Miles Typed: 493

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2008, 06:58:12 am »

- re: soy foods to balance estrogen - everyone's different, but personally, my PMS symptoms mostly had to do with estrogen being high in balance with progesterone, and a lot of soy foods would make it worse. So try it (foods not pills or refined soy protein) but be aware that it could backfire.

- re: riding to work - back in the day I used to ride to administrative hearings out of town and it was okay. It was definitely less formal than actual court appearances, and as a "regular" I had established relationships with the judges, but I still had to look professional. Pack a skirt, jacket and shoes; wear your riding gear over blouse and pantyhose. Be prepared to do your hair, and makeup if you wear makeup, when you arrive. The judges were intrigued or amused more than anything. I inspired one of them to get a scooter  Bigsmile

Hold my beer and watch this.
Advertisement

Veda

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Kawasaki ER-6N
Miles Typed: 24

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2008, 07:25:50 am »

Mmm, I thought when soy broke down in the body it basically mimic'd estrogen?  Sorry, I know next to nothing about biology - just going off what I've read on some weight lifting forums.
Southern Belle
Pho Shizzle!

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2000 Suzuki SV650
Miles Typed: 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2008, 09:32:57 am »

My husband (Tyronneous) and I are planning on having more children to add to our happy home  Lol and I was wondering what you ladies thought about riding pregnant.  We have tickets to Indy for the MotoGP races in September and it's his dream that we ride from Mississippi to Indy on two wheels.    

I am just not too sure what we should do with our family planning-- my youngest is 2 1/2 and I don't want to wait too much longer to get pregnant.  Plus I also just got a new SV650 and am not quite ready to let it sit in the garage for the next 9 months!  Embarassment  Any thoughts on this?

I'm Mrs. Tyrroneous.
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2008, 02:39:25 pm »

My husband (Tyronneous) and I are planning on having more children to add to our happy home  Lol and I was wondering what you ladies thought about riding pregnant.  We have tickets to Indy for the MotoGP races in September and it's his dream that we ride from Mississippi to Indy on two wheels.    

I don't have any direct experience with pregnancy (yet Lol ) but it's always been my plan to "do what feels right".  I know women who've stopped riding as soon as they discovered they were pregnant, and I know women who've ridden up until their bellies were too big for their gear.

I figure I'll wait until it happens and then just do whatever feels comfortable (same with playing hockey, though I imagine that I'll stop playing hockey before I stop riding).  If it's your dream to ride to Indy and you aren't sick or sore, hey, go for it!

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
katego

Reputation 2

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: BMW R1150GS
GPS: Rat City
Miles Typed: 1019

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2008, 03:20:09 pm »

Now my question:

For those of you who commute to work regularly by motorcycle--how is that received?

My boss teases that I am not allowed to pursue this "dangerous" hobby. Other than that it is not a problem. When I rode the 650 regularly my luggage was big enough to hold all of my gear.  I would undress downstairs and no one knew. With the 800 all my gear comes upstairs with me - not an issue where I work. Sometimes leads to interesting conversations with folks that I might not normally talk with.

Sorry to hear about your injury. Seems like those things always happen at the most embarrassing moment possible. Get well soon.

-k

Squaring off tires and tipping over bikes since 2005

Riding more is better. It makes you happier especially when it is dark and the weather is just atrocious. - Mr. Subjective (January 2007)
stromgal
Lone Rangerette

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: FJ-09, WeeStrom
GPS: West Lake Michigan
Miles Typed: 4577

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2008, 04:27:24 pm »

I rode to my birthing classes. Bigsmile  Continued to ride until it got too uncomfortable, which happened earlier with son #2 than son #1.

I've never had a problem commuting to work, but I've always worked places where it didn't matter, like a motorcycle shop.

bj

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  -Douglas Adams
bluepoof

Reputation 111

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2008, 05:06:33 pm »

OK, my turn with a question.  Any advice for shaving as little as possible during a six-week trip?? I should have tried Nair or waxing months ago to see if I had an allergic reaction or anything, but as it stands, I leave in less than 2 weeks.  Am I doomed to shaving whenever I can find a friend's house or hotel room?  Sad

www.bluepoof.com
stromgal
Lone Rangerette

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: FJ-09, WeeStrom
GPS: West Lake Michigan
Miles Typed: 4577

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2008, 05:23:10 pm »

Not sure I'm understanding the question. Even if you're camping, there will be showers, so can you explain the problem?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  -Douglas Adams
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15423

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2008, 05:33:28 pm »

hee - do what I do and just don't shave  Embarassment  Other than pits I just leave my (thankfully light-colored) hair wherever it ends up on my legs. Seriously Carolyn, who's going to see your legs on this trip anyway?  Shrug
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 07:25:42 pm by DantesDame » Logged

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
bluepoof

Reputation 111

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2008, 06:48:51 pm »

Not sure I'm understanding the question. Even if you're camping, there will be showers, so can you explain the problem?

I don't want to have to deal with shaving, but I hate being hairy. I, um, sweat a lot and when I get hairy, it gets sticky and stinky and sweaty and...well, you get the idea.   Sad

I guess I just don't want to have to bring a razor and blades and have it take up room in my toiletries bag.

www.bluepoof.com
katego

Reputation 2

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: BMW R1150GS
GPS: Rat City
Miles Typed: 1019

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2008, 06:59:38 pm »

hee - do what I do and just don't shave  Embarassment  Other than pits I just leave my (thankfully light-colored hair) wherever it ends up on my legs. Seriously Carolyn, who's going to see your legs on this trip anyway?  Shrug

+1

Shaving is overrated.  EEK!

-k

Squaring off tires and tipping over bikes since 2005

Riding more is better. It makes you happier especially when it is dark and the weather is just atrocious. - Mr. Subjective (January 2007)
Sea Dog

Reputation 10

GPS: Lexington Park, MD
Miles Typed: 45

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2008, 08:53:54 pm »

I guess I just don't want to have to bring a razor and blades and have it take up room in my toiletries bag.

For traveling, I buy the cheapo disposable razors and toss them as I go.  I usually get the men's razors because for some reason women's cost way more just becuse they are pink or have a fancy handle  Headscratch

07 BMW R1200RT * 2005 VFR800
Stargzrgrl
Sticker Fiend aka HelloBorgieStar

Reputation 29

Motorcycles: '07 BMW F800ST, '77 Honda CB550F Super Sport, '08 Yamaha XT 250
GPS: Back in the mundane
Miles Typed: 2069

My Photo Gallery

Unicorns Fart Rainbows.

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2008, 09:20:55 pm »

For traveling, I buy the cheapo disposable razors and toss them as I go.  I usually get the men's razors because for some reason women's cost way more just becuse they are pink or have a fancy handle  Headscratch

+1

I usually don't bother with bringing any razors on a trip.  If I find that I absolutely can't handle going another day without shaving I'll go out and buy pack of disposables and use whatever soap is available.

To help keep the stinky factor down I tend to apply liberally (Bluepoof, you've seen me use this stuff, so you know how crazy I can get with it  Lol ) Gold Bond's Ultimate Comfort™ powder:

This stuff ROCKS!  

"It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw."
November

Reputation 0

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: DL650K7, '06 GS500F
Miles Typed: 446

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2008, 10:40:59 pm »

hee - do what I do and just don't shave  Embarassment  Other than pits I just leave my (thankfully light-colored) hair wherever it ends up on my legs. Seriously Carolyn, who's going to see your legs on this trip anyway?  Shrug

+1

I just wouldn't shave.  Razz
VIVID1
Ducatistanna

Reputation 21

Motorcycles: ST3, 954RR
GPS: Northern Colorado
Miles Typed: 1849

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2008, 12:25:11 pm »

I can get away with one shave per week during cold months.  Two per week in warmer months if I'm planning on wearing shorts. I bring one disposable razor on the trip, it would last me up to 2-3 months.

BLOG:excessivelocity.blogspot.com
Mrs.BMW-K

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2007 F650GS
GPS: SoCal
Miles Typed: 210

My Photo Gallery

Balancing flawed certainties with perfect unknowns

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2008, 02:23:53 pm »

On long trips I also use the disposable razors... and if you don't have a shower available, but must shave, try using body lotion - helps the razor glide... (even though I usually dry shave the pits, on camping trips)

As for any other shaveable parts... I wouldn't bother unless the hubby were along.   Lol

Riding is a visceral experience; each mile brushes across you physically and imprints itself on you.
--~0
-_ /-_ (*)>(*)            (image credit to nwscubamom @ ADV)
bluepoof

Reputation 111

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2008, 02:54:32 pm »

As for any other shaveable parts... I wouldn't bother unless the hubby were along.   Lol

That's the part I'm fretting about!  I swear, I must be the only yeti on this site.  Sad

www.bluepoof.com
HipGnosis
It's Hip to Gno

Reputation 23

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: BMW F800ST(low), St Triple 765 R (low), Ninja 650
GPS: Not sure where I am, but I'm going back to villainy
Miles Typed: 5108

My Photo Gallery

Mercenary doppleganger scout

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2008, 02:57:43 pm »

On long trips I also use the disposable razors... and if you don't have a shower available, but must shave, try using body lotion - helps the razor glide...

Conditioner (for hair) make a nice, economical replacement for shaving cream and water - though some do leave a 'film' on the skin if you can't wash it off.

“There's a time for daring and there's a time for caution, and a wise man understands which is called for.” - Robin Williams as John Keating in 'Dead Poets Society'
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal