Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 23   Go Down
Print

Topic: STN's Pool of Knowledge for Women Riders  (Read 187620 times)

stefrrr

Reputation 7

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: Only one
GPS: At the bottom of a hill with a name
Miles Typed: 6584

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2008, 10:43:56 pm »

I covet your bike.

Welcome!
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Weaselette

Reputation 0

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2009 Suzuki VStrom 650
GPS: Wenatchee, WA
Miles Typed: 75

My Photo Gallery

ASAT - All Suzukis, All of the Time

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2008, 07:12:12 pm »

I covet your bike.

Welcome!

*G* Well isn't that nice. I'd let you take it for a spin if we were closer. It's pretty great so far, 'long as I don't crack up playing with the tri-map  Razz

Sara (Wenatchee, WA)
'09 Suzuki DL650
lionlady
What is this "reading compression" of which you speak?

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Rockster Limited Edition
GPS: Forest, VA
Miles Typed: 361

My Photo Gallery

BMW R1150R Rockster Ed 80 #196

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: May 26, 2008, 08:17:03 pm »

I'm sorry if there's another thread about this somewhere.

Who's going, where are you staying, will there be an STN meet & greet? Bigok

Wrong coast. Grrr.

P

Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity.
Advertisement

stefrrr

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: Only one
GPS: At the bottom of a hill with a name
Miles Typed: 6584

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2008, 02:14:39 pm »

Yeah, I'm definitely going to fly for this one. I've got so much going on around that time, that I'll have to.

Last I checked flights to Vegas aren't that much.  Thumbsup

Does anyone know if they rent leathers?
Krismark
Scooter Hooligan

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2006 Buell Ulysses, 2003 VFR800A (sold!), 2006 KYMCO Bet & Win 150, 2006 KLX250S(Sold!)
GPS: NW Indiana
Miles Typed: 544

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2008, 10:30:29 pm »

Yeah, I'm definitely going to fly for this one. I've got so much going on around that time, that I'll have to.

Last I checked flights to Vegas aren't that much.  Thumbsup

Does anyone know if they rent leathers?

Barring anything terrible and unforseen Stargzrgrl and I will both be at Femmoto. They have rented leathers in years past but I don't know for sure for this year. You do not have to wear leather though. Zip together leather or textile is fine too as long as it isn't mesh.
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15423

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2008, 02:38:07 pm »

I just got a request from this company, www.she-rides.com, to carry Nikwax. It looks like a pretty comprehensive site for women's gear and I thought I'd pass it along  Thumbsup

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
Kath
Two Wheeled Mom

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 08 GSX650F
Miles Typed: 43

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2008, 02:50:29 pm »

I've seen that one before and bought my Original Buff from them a couple years ago.  Wow...they've expanded! Smile

~*~Kath~*~
uvakat

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '04 SV650S
GPS: Blacksburg, VA
Miles Typed: 118

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2008, 09:37:44 am »

Wow I go on a hiatus from STN and there is a women's section...

In reference to the jobs post... I'm pretty sure riding has not hurt me and probably has helped me a little bit. I work in an engineering firm and a good portion of the engineers/staff ride. My boss just finished his MSF course and now wants me to help him find a VStrom used.

I did have a question for the girls though. I have thicker ankles and calves, is there any boot that you found that fit well? Most street boots generally don't fit around the upper part of my calves. Currently I wear the hideous looking Sidi Vertigos race boots since they have the adjustable ankle/calf, but I find myself wearing hiking boots on commutes since they are more comfortable and I don't look like I'm off of some sci fi set.
katego

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: BMW R1150GS
GPS: Rat City
Miles Typed: 1019

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2008, 10:50:15 am »

I bought the Oxtar (now TCX) Sunray boot when I started riding 4 years ago when my calves were considerably larger. They zip, but have a strech panel and the zippers are on the inside.

I am looking for a replacement though. Does aerostich sell the combat lite boot in women's sizes?

-k

Squaring off tires and tipping over bikes since 2005

Riding more is better. It makes you happier especially when it is dark and the weather is just atrocious. - Mr. Subjective (January 2007)
Fourstring
Careful, that's a load-bearing ziptie...

Reputation 47

Motorcycles: Kawi ZX9, Honda Uglystick
GPS: Norman Rockwell's Distopia
Miles Typed: 6073

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: June 13, 2008, 10:59:44 am »

Wow I go on a hiatus from STN and there is a women's section...

I did have a question for the girls though. I have thicker ankles and calves, is there any boot that you found that fit well? Most street boots generally don't fit around the upper part of my calves.

Tourmaster Solution boot.  I bought a set for my wife and she loves them.  

Let's all panic.  That should fix it.
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15423

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2008, 11:14:13 am »

I am looking for a replacement though. Does aerostich sell the combat lite boot in women's sizes?

-k

I don't recall seeing women's sizes listed, but go by the European size (US 9 = EU 41, for example). I ordered based off of this and it was pretty close. I don't know if they run a tad large or if I need a 40.5  Smile

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
jadziadax8
nerd

Reputation 48

Motorcycles: 2007 Ninja 650
GPS: Too close to Ed for comfort ;-)
Miles Typed: 2849

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2008, 11:38:40 am »

I do love them, and yes they fit my calves just fine.  I have big meaty calves from a) being of nearly 100% German descent, and b) being a softball catcher.  For a, when Terry Pratchett talks about women who can carry a pig under each arm in his Discworld novels, I picture all the women in my family.  Bigsmile  For b, I haven't caught in a decade, but still can't seem to lose the muscle.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 11:43:12 am by jadziadax8 » Logged

She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting.
katego

Reputation 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2008, 06:48:24 pm »

I don't recall seeing women's sizes listed, but go by the European size (US 9 = EU 41, for example). I ordered based off of this and it was pretty close. I don't know if they run a tad large or if I need a 40.5  Smile

I wear a 39, 40 if I want thicker socks. I didn't see anything smaller than 41 on their site when I looked last week. I'll check again!

-k

Riding more is better. It makes you happier especially when it is dark and the weather is just atrocious. - Mr. Subjective (January 2007)
ctbandit

« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2008, 10:54:32 am »

OK, since someone else mentioned periods...I decided to try a Diva cup instead of lugging around a metric ton of tampons this summer.  Anyone use one?  Anything I should watch out for?  Headscratch

Alright a bit weird but...

My g/f SWEARS by this. She's so thrilled with it she's turned into a semi-diva cup evangelist. Her sister turned her onto it and now she goes around telling all her friend to use it. If she posted on this site and saw someone talking about it she'd freak.. so I figured I take the initiative and post about it for her.
katego

Reputation 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: July 02, 2008, 10:48:26 am »

I wear a 39, 40 if I want thicker socks. I didn't see anything smaller than 41 on their site when I looked last week. I'll check again!

-k

I decided to order the TCX/Oxtar Infinity, they have a size 40, and no zipper!

Like I said earlier, I have been wearing the Oxtar/TCX Sunray boots for a few years & they work well for larger calves. The strech panel works well. Waterproof (important in Seattle). Warranty service is also superb, I had a three-year old trashed pair with a broken right zipper that the distributor (Helmet House) replaced, no questions asked.

The instep is removable, width seems normal, and they look fine with work attire. I have a new-in-box pair in size 8 (EU 40) that I want to sell (bought a new pair since I didn't think that HH would replace the old ones). Send me a PM if you are interested!

-k

Woodsatyr
Smart kitty

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2003 FZ1, 2006 KLR650, 2005 SV650 (track only)
GPS: NE FL
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: July 04, 2008, 03:16:12 pm »

Hi!  I thought I'd toss this one out for y'all...  http://www.hairglove.com/Action07.html.  I have long hair that I wrap with a hair glove.  It keeps it from getting tangled which doesn't take much with fine hair.

Hi Barb!  

luvtoride

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '04 Yamaha FJR1300
GPS: Norfolk, VA
Miles Typed: 403

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2008, 11:12:39 am »

The Tourmaster Solution boot is not good for us chickies w/ large calves. Been there, done that one.... sent the bitches back to whence they came. I am presently wearing the Oxtar Matrix boot. It still does not fit my calves properly. I cannot zipper the boots all the way up. Luckily, there is velcro to close the top of the boots.

I've managed with them thus far... but will be buying something else when I buy new. I'll probably be looking into "Cruiserworks" boots http://www.cruiserworks.com/products.cfm. They have a couple of pairs that aren't horribly cruiser-ish w/ the buckles & such. I hear that they are extremely waterproof, last forever & large calves need apply. Also, a bit expensive... but, not over-the-top expensive.

Good luck. Please, if you find a good boot f/ calves that is worthy of touring, let me know, I don't know whether it is that I have large ankles or large calves... but I've had a real problem with finding riding boots that are not for the pencil legged.
Heidi
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 02:52:54 pm by luvtoride » Logged
LicketySplat
Not the droid you're looking for

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '02 YZF600R, '05 SV650S
Miles Typed: 493

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2008, 08:44:03 pm »

I have a pair of BMW Traveler Light boots and a pair of Gaerne Stradas. I don't think you can get the Gaernes in smaller sizes in the US any more. Both pairs have zippers, but they fit my aerobics-instructor calves just fine. Wink Both have hard plastic protection for the shins and malleoli. The current equivalent model of the BMWs is now called their Allround boot.

Hold my beer and watch this.
jadziadax8
nerd

Reputation 48

Motorcycles: 2007 Ninja 650
GPS: Too close to Ed for comfort ;-)
Miles Typed: 2849

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2008, 10:39:08 am »

The Tourmaster Solution boot is not good for us chickies w/ large calves. Been there, done that one.... sent the bitches back to whence they came. I am presently wearing the Oxtar Matrix boot. It still does not fit my calves properly. I cannot zipper the boots all the way up. Luckily, there is velcro to close the top of the boots.

I've managed with them thus far... but will be buying something else when I buy new. I'll probably be looking into "Cruiserworks" boots http://www.cruiserworks.com/products.cfm. They have a couple of pairs that aren't horribly cruiser-ish w/ the buckles & such. I hear that they are extremely waterproof, last forever & large calves need apply. Also, a bit expensive... but, not over-the-top expensive.

Good luck. Please, if you find a good boot f/ calves that is worthy of touring, let me know, I don't know whether it is that I have large ankles or large calves... but I've had a real problem with finding riding boots that are not for the pencil legged.
Heidi

That sucks that you couldn't get them to work for you.  I'm the wife mentioned above, and do love them (see earlier post in this vein).  They were a little snug at first but stretched out nicely.

She's got a worm in 'er belly? That's disgusting! That's interesting, but very disgusting.
luvtoride

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '04 Yamaha FJR1300
GPS: Norfolk, VA
Miles Typed: 403

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2008, 05:05:03 pm »

I have a pair of BMW Traveler Light boots and a pair of Gaerne Stradas. I don't think you can get the Gaernes in smaller sizes in the US any more. Both pairs have zippers, but they fit my aerobics-instructor calves just fine. Wink Both have hard plastic protection for the shins and malleoli. The current equivalent model of the BMWs is now called their Allround boot.

LS, I may need to visit my friendly neighborhood BMW dealer to try those boots that you speak of.

I wouldn't be looking for a small size. I'm 5'-8" & about 185-190 lbs. I wear a woman's size 11 or a men's 9. I'm not a small woman. My calves aren't actually fat... they are just really thick. Same w/ the ankles.

Most times I buy men's gear. I have better luck with it fitting for the most part. I figured that men's boots would fit w/o any issue. Yeah well, that absolutely did not happen.

Jad, when I got those Tourmaster boots in the mail & tried them on, I was extremely disappointed. They were a decent boot at a reasonable price. There was no concievable way they would zip up.

I have a Cycle Gear right down the road from me. It seems that all of the boots that they carry are narrow in the calf area. Leads me to believe that a lot of cycle riders are pencil-legged? Ok, I sure they aren't... but the selection of boots makes me think that.

Heidi
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal