Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 23   Go Down
Print

Topic: STN's Pool of Knowledge for Women Riders  (Read 187621 times)

R6Chick
H8KARZ

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 01 R6, 07 TTR125LE, 08 GSXR750
GPS: San Jose, CA
Miles Typed: 231

My Photo Gallery

Vegetables are not food, they are what food eats.

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: September 27, 2008, 12:25:30 am »

I've always known that I've been fortunate with my three days. And with the regularity of The Pill, I can count on Tuesday - Thursday, leaving my weekends "free" year 'round  Thumbsup

I was on Norplant for 15 years and never had a period that lasted more than three days. Year 1 - no period at all, Year 2 - 1 period every 6 months, Year 3 - 1 period every 3 months, Year 4 - 1 period every other month, Years 5 to 15 - 1 per month on a precise schedule that was literally predictable down to the hour.

Now I have just finished my first year on Implanon and no period at all so far. I am hoping to stay with that pattern for the remaining two years before I have to get a new one.

I think the best part is that it makes everything lighter, eases of the PMS big time, almost no cramps or back pain, and I am not nearly as worn out like I was before Norplant/Implanon.

It's not that I hate people
I just feel better when they're not around
It's not that I hate your world Keep pushing me and I'll stand my ground It's not that I hate you, You'd
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

R6Chick
H8KARZ

Reputation 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: September 27, 2008, 12:28:59 am »

I have a question for you though.  Do any of you work on your own bike?  And if so, how did you learn how to do it?  I'm good at checking my air pressures, and checking the oil level, but I would like to learn more about my bike and be able to fix anything should the need arise (i.e oil changes, tire changes, brakes, etc).  I'm not much of a grease monkey, but I'm not afraid of getting dirty (I'm a geologist and play in dirt).  Did you guys take classes?  Did you learn from someone, husband, SO, etc?

I have some friends teach me a few things but mostly I learned from the shop manual. I bought myself a decent set of basic tools then built on that set as time went on. Every bike I ever got I immediately bought the shop manual for.

It's not that I hate your world Keep pushing me and I'll stand my ground It's not that I hate you, You'd
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: September 28, 2008, 11:48:51 pm »

OK, here's a girly question.

I used to bring a piece of my Neutrogena (original formula) face bar with me on rides.  I'd also use hotel soap with no problems.

Lately, though, my face has gotten *really* windburned and dry on all-day rides, even when I use lots of my daily moisturizer (30 SPF) plus sunscreen.

Nothing has changed with my gear or riding style, so I think it's just my skin changing as I'm *cough* getting older.

What do you guys use for soap on the road?  Anything that cleans the road grime off but still has moisturizer in it (or at least won't take off the skin's natural oil)?

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
Advertisement

R6Chick
H8KARZ

Reputation 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: September 28, 2008, 11:55:46 pm »

What do you guys use for soap on the road?  Anything that cleans the road grime off but still has moisturizer in it (or at least won't take off the skin's natural oil)?

I go straight for baby wipes. Longs has this section of travel size things. I go there and pick up all my must have tank bag supplies.

- 1 travel roll of charmin (I never worry about bathrooms lacking in supplies or emergency roadside needs)
- 1 travel pack of ass gaskets
- 1 travel back of baby wipes (these clean nicely and usually have moisturizer in them since dry crackly butt skin is frowned upon by babies and adults alike!)
1 - stick on 8 hour heat thing for neck (great when sore on long rides or caught in serious cold by surprise)
1 - stick on 8 hour heat thing for back (same reasoning as the neck one)
1 - travel size vaseline
1 - travel size bonds medicated powder
2 - tampons (1 regular, 1 super)

The whole kit fits in one quart size ziploc baggie.

Is this the bluepoof that is keeping Alibee so pleased at work?

Stargzrgrl
Sticker Fiend aka HelloBorgieStar

Reputation 29

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '07 BMW F800ST, '77 Honda CB550F Super Sport, '08 Yamaha XT 250
GPS: Back in the mundane
Miles Typed: 2069

My Photo Gallery

Unicorns Fart Rainbows.

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: September 29, 2008, 12:14:28 am »

I keep these in my tank bag for wiping off crap during pit stops:

http://www.olay.com/boutique/dailyfacials/products/df1000

I use these at night:

http://www.olay.com/boutique/regenerist/products/re1011

*edit*  I was going to post my whole on road skincare routine but it was bordering on getting ridiculous.  Razz

"It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw."
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: September 29, 2008, 12:15:55 am »

Is this the bluepoof that is keeping Alibee so pleased at work?

It is! I love me some Alibee.  Inlove

I can't believe I didn't think of baby wipes. I love them and always carry them with me.

The 8-hr heat things are a *great* idea! Gonna stock up on those too.

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
R6Chick
H8KARZ

Reputation 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: September 29, 2008, 12:17:40 am »

The Oil of Olay stuff is really good. I have thought about adding a packet to my tank bag supply kit but I am not quite there yet. I try to keep multi-purpose stuff. I mean, you could wipe your hiney with the Oil of Olay stuff but I would feel all kinds of guilty using the expensive stuff for that.

Stargzrgrl

Reputation 29

My Photo Gallery

Unicorns Fart Rainbows.

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: September 29, 2008, 12:31:18 am »

Lol

I KNOW I listed the contents of my tank bag around here once upon a time.  I think it included almost every item you can find in a travel sized section of most drug stores and places like Target...

I like the Wet Ones For Sensitive Skin with Aloe travel size packets for hand and *ahem* hiney cleansing.

Burt's Bees Travel Kits are also a travel staple for me.

cultureslayer

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '89 ex250
GPS: NC USA
Miles Typed: 5797

My Photo Gallery

furry ninja

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: September 29, 2008, 07:38:01 am »

I use Clearasil facial wipes, then a night moisturizer because I haven't found something with SPF that doesn't bother my skin.  If I wasn't so lazy I'd put some clean and clear pink liquid (deep cleaning astringent I think) on cotton squares in a freezer bag to carry with me.  It's the best.  

L'oreal cleansing wipes are free after rebate at Walgreens this month so I'll probably try those too.

Lauren
R6Chick
H8KARZ

Reputation 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: September 29, 2008, 02:21:55 pm »

I haven't found something with SPF that doesn't bother my skin.  

Have you tried the Neutrogena with UVA/UVB protection and SPF ratings of 55, 75, and 80? My dermatologist turned me on to it. I use the highest SPF and it does not upset my skin at all. It is not greasy either.

cultureslayer

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '89 ex250
GPS: NC USA
Miles Typed: 5797

My Photo Gallery

furry ninja

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: September 29, 2008, 02:25:48 pm »

Have you tried the Neutrogena with UVA/UVB protection and SPF ratings of 55, 75, and 80? My dermatologist turned me on to it. I use the highest SPF and it does not upset my skin at all. It is not greasy either.

Nope, haven't tried that.  Non-comodogenic coppertone, Almay moisturizer for acne prone skin with SPF 15, and Skinsimple SPF 15 were all a waste of money for me.  I was thinking about trying to find something PABA free by clearsil or clean and clear but I might try the neutrogena instead.  I'm certain it's the SPF, because the skinsimple night cream isn't a problem for it.

Lauren
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15423

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #211 on: September 29, 2008, 02:57:12 pm »

I understand that anything over 45 (?) is a waste, as the protection can only go *so* high anyway... Shrug

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
R6Chick
H8KARZ

Reputation 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #212 on: September 29, 2008, 03:47:02 pm »

I understand that anything over 45 (?) is a waste, as the protection can only go *so* high anyway... Shrug

I was under that impression myself until my dermatologist said to use the highest SPF with UVA/UVB available. My family has a history of several cancers including skin cancer so I am a pasty girl who is always using lots of sunscreen.

Everything I have read either says it helps or it is no better than SPF50 so it appears the jury is still out. What I do know is that the higher SPF does not cost more money and it sure does not hurt. With a cancer history in the family I am sticking to the highest I can get.

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 85

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '14 BMW F800 GSA
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 15423

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #213 on: September 29, 2008, 04:37:43 pm »

Everything I have read either says it helps or it is no better than SPF50 so it appears the jury is still out. What I do know is that the higher SPF does not cost more money and it sure does not hurt. With a cancer history in the family I am sticking to the highest I can get.

Thumbsup Thumbsup  Better safe than sorry, I agree.

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.

Member since 2003
stefrrr

Reputation 7

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: Only one
GPS: At the bottom of a hill with a name
Miles Typed: 6584

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: October 01, 2008, 11:00:19 am »

- 1 travel roll of charmin (I never worry about bathrooms lacking in supplies or emergency roadside needs)
- 1 travel pack of ass gaskets
- 1 travel back of baby wipes (these clean nicely and usually have moisturizer in them since dry crackly butt skin is frowned upon by babies and adults alike!)
1 - stick on 8 hour heat thing for neck (great when sore on long rides or caught in serious cold by surprise)
1 - stick on 8 hour heat thing for back (same reasoning as the neck one)
1 - travel size vaseline
1 - travel size bonds medicated powder
2 - tampons (1 regular, 1 super)

This list is genius!

I take little travel sizes of (facial) moisturizer along and use it regularly when riding. It's a little extra something to help protect the skin.  Thumbsup
Stargzrgrl

Reputation 29

My Photo Gallery

Unicorns Fart Rainbows.

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: October 16, 2008, 08:13:10 pm »

I tromped around in Japan with Sidi Canyons, with Superfeet insoles.  Goretex lined.

I have a few questions for you and/or anyone else about the Sidi Canyon.

I need new boots and the Sidi Canyon Gore-tex are the front runner.  Have you had a chance to test the waterproof-ness of these boots yet?  Are they relatively warm?  How well do they breathe?  How long have you had them?  Would you buy them again if you had to replace them tomorrow?

Thanks in advance!  Bigok

Veda

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Kawasaki ER-6N
Miles Typed: 24

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #216 on: October 16, 2008, 10:11:16 pm »

I don't have the Canyons but I have Sidi's Jasmine waterproof boots and find the waterproofing top notch.  I've been out in a handful of downpour/flash floods situations where every inch of my clothes are soaked through and my feet are the only thing left dry.   Thumbsup  The only fail there is when the water is higher than the top of your boot  Lol
R6Chick
H8KARZ

Reputation 2

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #217 on: October 16, 2008, 10:18:58 pm »

I don't have the Canyons but I have Sidi's Jasmine waterproof boots and find the waterproofing top notch.  I've been out in a handful of downpour/flash floods situations where every inch of my clothes are soaked through and my feet are the only thing left dry.   Thumbsup  The only fail there is when the water is higher than the top of your boot  Lol

I have ahd the same outstanding result with my Oxtars.

stefrrr

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: Only one
GPS: At the bottom of a hill with a name
Miles Typed: 6584

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #218 on: October 17, 2008, 12:35:27 pm »

I have Alpinestars Ridge Boots because I have ankle problems. I've liked them a lot, but the waterproof went on them after about 2 years, at ESTN last month, AKA the weekend of eternal rain.  Embarassment

So... my options are:
try to re-waterproof them with my leather care kit.
Use Gore-tex socks
buy the same boot in a 1/2 size up that the dealership hasn't been able to sell since I bought mine.
buy completely different boots, maybe that fit better and are easier to walk in.

They held up really well in a lowspeed lowside I had a year and a half ago, and until now they've been really waterproof. They just got completely soaked through at ESTN.

What do you guys think? Is that kind of non-waterproofness to be expected, or should I find something better?
jsanford
Devil Duck Monster

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: '04 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 '08 Ducati Monster 695
Miles Typed: 1509

My Photo Gallery

Every day is Ride to Work Day

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: October 17, 2008, 11:39:10 pm »

I have a few questions for you and/or anyone else about the Sidi Canyon.

I need new boots and the Sidi Canyon Gore-tex are the front runner.  Have you had a chance to test the waterproof-ness of these boots yet?  Are they relatively warm?  How well do they breathe?  How long have you had them?  Would you buy them again if you had to replace them tomorrow?

Yes and yes--my feet have been soaked.  They do much better than my Vertebra Tepors, which do soak through.  I've had them since March.  They breathe just fine and dried out overnight after getting wet Wednesday.

I'd buy them again.  I can't say the same for the Vertebras, incidentally--I just broke the zipper for the third time.

'08  Monster 695   '04 Moto Guzzi Breva
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal