Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 23   Go Down
Print

Topic: STN's Pool of Knowledge for Women Riders  (Read 187617 times)

GEMINIJANE

Reputation 0

Miles Typed: 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: October 19, 2008, 12:48:44 am »

My newest boots are still waterproof (but still a bit stiff, too).  My others that are broken in and most comfortable cannot be trusted when it rains Sad .  One friend, who happens to be a motorcycle dealer and also a rider for about 45 years, swears there is no such thing as a "forever" waterproof boot.  Now, I just pack a pair of Seal Skins waterproof socks and wear them on the days that rain is predicted.  I find them to be comfortable so wearing them is not an issue.  P.S.  If you are ever touring and find yourself with the wet feet problem, picking up a couple of subway sandwich plastic bags is a short term answer.  Just put on dry socks and put a bag on your foot before you put that soggy boot back on.

05 Triumph Thruxton
07 BMW F800ST
08 Triumph Street Triple 05 Ducati ST3 (Husband lets me ride)
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

VIVID1
Ducatistanna

Reputation 21

Motorcycles: ST3, 954RR
GPS: Northern Colorado
Miles Typed: 1849

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: October 19, 2008, 05:42:03 pm »

One friend, who happens to be a motorcycle dealer and also a rider for about 45 years, swears there is no such thing as a "forever" waterproof boot.  

My Daytona Lady Star GTX have +100,000 miles on them, I've worn them since 2003. Still as waterproof as the day I got them Thumbsup

BLOG:excessivelocity.blogspot.com
R6Chick
H8KARZ

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 01 R6, 07 TTR125LE, 08 GSXR750
GPS: San Jose, CA
Miles Typed: 231

My Photo Gallery

Vegetables are not food, they are what food eats.

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: October 19, 2008, 05:44:43 pm »

My Daytona Lady Star GTX have about 90,000-100,000 miles on them, I've worn them since 2003. Still as waterproof as the day I got them Thumbsup

I have had the same luck with my Oxtars. I wear them all winter, every winter, and they are as waterproof today as they were when I got them four years ago. I commute on my bike putting between 10k - 15k miles a year so my winter boots are used daily all winter long.

It's not that I hate people
I just feel better when they're not around
It's not that I hate your world Keep pushing me and I'll stand my ground It's not that I hate you, You'd
Advertisement

bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: October 19, 2008, 05:46:09 pm »

My Daytona Lady Star GTX have +100,000 miles on them, I've worn them since 2003. Still as waterproof as the day I got them Thumbsup

Another Inlove for the LadyStar GTX boots.  I'm on my second pair; the first pair only lost its waterproofing because I caught a sharp rock offroad and it cut a hole in the leather (that's why I replaced them).

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
LicketySplat
Not the droid you're looking for

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '02 YZF600R, '05 SV650S
Miles Typed: 493

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: October 19, 2008, 06:06:27 pm »

Good info on the boots - I think I'm going to be due for a new pair before too long. But this question is on...

Adjustable/short reach levers

Yesterday was my first ride of the season in my winter gloves, and I finally decided I'm just fed up with having to choose between feeling my fingers and reaching my brake.

Who's got aftermarket levers? What brand, what's your glove size, how do you like them? If you installed them yourself, were there any issues - hose length, hose routing, switch assembly, wires, anything else?

Hold my beer and watch this.
GEMINIJANE

Reputation 0

Miles Typed: 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: October 19, 2008, 09:37:33 pm »

Another Inlove for the LadyStar GTX boots.  I'm on my second pair; the first pair only lost its waterproofing because I caught a sharp rock offroad and it cut a hole in the leather (that's why I replaced them).

That's what my new ones are and I'm lovin' them.  FYI: There is a pair of Oxtar's for sale on the ADVrider.com yard sale for $42 (size 37 EU which is what I wear with a heavy sock - size 6'ish?)  However, in a later post the seller says he found a spot selling the same women's Oxtar's for $25 new!  My husband loved his and tried to get a new pair and said they no longer made them, which may be why the close-out prices.  Might take advantage and pick up a $200 boot for $25!  (I just love saving money!) Lol

05 Triumph Thruxton
07 BMW F800ST
08 Triumph Street Triple 05 Ducati ST3 (Husband lets me ride)
stefrrr

Reputation 7

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: Only one
GPS: At the bottom of a hill with a name
Miles Typed: 6584

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: October 20, 2008, 01:54:21 am »

I have been much more fortunate finding women's sized gear in the last two years.  The industry is finally figuring out we have bucks to spend and more women are riding.  

I think I know of you from EOS, yes?
katego

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: BMW R1150GS
GPS: Rat City
Miles Typed: 1019

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: October 20, 2008, 11:13:07 pm »

I have ahd the same outstanding result with my Oxtars.

I am on my third pair of oxtar/tcx. They always keep my feet dry.

-k

Squaring off tires and tipping over bikes since 2005

Riding more is better. It makes you happier especially when it is dark and the weather is just atrocious. - Mr. Subjective (January 2007)
Laura0107
Motorsports Photographer

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '04 Triumph Sprint RS; '06 Suzuki DR650SE
GPS: Orangeburg, SC
Miles Typed: 141

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: October 21, 2008, 11:37:16 am »

Good info on the boots - I think I'm going to be due for a new pair before too long. But this question is on...

Adjustable/short reach levers

Yesterday was my first ride of the season in my winter gloves, and I finally decided I'm just fed up with having to choose between feeling my fingers and reaching my brake.

Who's got aftermarket levers? What brand, what's your glove size, how do you like them? If you installed them yourself, were there any issues - hose length, hose routing, switch assembly, wires, anything else?

My hands are not that small (I wear mens L gloves), but I still wanted adjustable levers.  I have Pazzos (6-position) and like them.  No issues with the installation on my Sprint.  The Pazzos retail for about $180 for both levers, or you can buy them separately for about $95.  CRG levers are very similar to the Pazzos.  If you think you'd need more adjustability than that, look at ASV levers, but they cost more.

If you have small hands, I'd stay with the full-length levers as opposed to the shorty versions.  My clutch is a "hoss" and I'm glad I stayed with a full-length lever and am able to use leverage to my advantage (it's easier to pull out near the end of the lever).

More bikes: 1983 Honda Ascot FT500 (4 Sale), 2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (son's), 2008 Honda XR650L (husband's), Honda XR650 flat tracker (husband's), Honda XL250 flat tracker (husband
vtbandit

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 98 B12, 07 B1250
Miles Typed: 60

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: October 23, 2008, 12:32:04 pm »

Hi - Just joined ST.N a few days ago.  I've been on other message boards and eventually they figure out I'm a woman - it use to just be easier that way.  This is AWESOME.  Totally laughed, checked out links, thought, 'absolutely, I feel the same way!' ....

In the middle of a long trip with my husband and a guy friend we decided to do a 1000 mile day - or see if we could. Sure, I don't know if I can't until I try.  Yea, I'd started my period the day before... every 100 miles we'd stop, get gas, get a drink, go potty, and I'd take ibuprofen.  Oh, and it was also the day after my birthday on which  I melted chocolate on my 'mini dash' and cried. Jesus, just remembering how pathetic I felt still makes me shake my head... and laugh.  

We had a great trip but 'birthday' became a code word for period for eternity.  Lol

I'd love it if this wasn't just one super long thread... Read the first 5 pages but unfortunately have a life I have to get to. Besides... spent the morning researching and buying hard bags for the B1250 for a L-o-n-g trip this summer.  

So glad to have found you!

Don't be afraid of death... Be afraid of the unlived life. ~Angus Tuck     
vtbandit

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 98 B12, 07 B1250
Miles Typed: 60

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: October 26, 2008, 09:49:22 am »

Very cool!  

Got back to read some of the pages I couldn't read the other day...  This article was about Judy Mirro
 and the Women's Riding School she organizes.  I attended in 2006 and 2008.  We had really new riders and very experienced riders there.  This past year I particularly had an incredible day.  Highly recommend it to anyone wanting to improve their riding skills.  Judy is a completely wonderful person.. Heard yesterday that Penguin Schools are interested in having WRS associated with their schools. Way to go Judy!

Don't be afraid of death... Be afraid of the unlived life. ~Angus Tuck     
Virginian

Reputation 16

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '15 KTM 1290 Super Adventure, '09 Yamaha Tmax
GPS: The Virginian
Miles Typed: 1984

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: October 29, 2008, 07:33:09 pm »

I have an odd question to ask the ladies of ST.N and figured I would start here. My parents were very accomplished motorcyclists and have enjoyed traveling all over the world together on bikes for 25 years. My father passed away from alzheimer's about three years ago. My mother lost her will to ride anymore and I’ve been working with her to regain her new life without pop. She recently purchased another bike at the ripe young age of 76 and is back at.

I have chatted with a few women on a couple of the organized ST.N rides about this and they suggested that I try to get her to post and maybe encourage some other women to ride their own bike. Maybe post some ride reports of yesteryear. I guess it’s a generational thing but she’s not willing to log on and share some of her tales so I asked her to type it out and I would post it. Amazing, she can ride a bike around the world, bust my ballz for 46 years but it’s out of her comfort zone to write in a forum.  Headscratch

Well, I’m the proverbial dog that has caught the car now. She sent me fifteen page ride report  Crazy on one of their trips from Orange County, CA to Leesburg, VA via Canada. I was shocked at the length and detail. But, maybe it would be a good read on a cold winter day and inspire someone to have a go.

Do you feel there would be enough interest to read a lengthy ride report with no pictures? I’ll have to tackle the “how to scan pics” issue later on. If there’s enough interest I was thinking about posting it here in the gal’s forum which was the original intent.

Thanks for reading this post and please be candid with your thoughts. I don’t want to tax the forum if this is dribble.

Sincerely,

Eric

When the world ends, the only thing left will be cockroaches riding Guzzis. http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i150/garrysimmons/MotoPhoto2009/BurgerRun2009/BurgerRun2009_128.jpg
stromgal
Lone Rangerette

Reputation 27

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: FJ-09, WeeStrom
GPS: West Lake Michigan
Miles Typed: 4577

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: October 29, 2008, 10:34:53 pm »

Yes, of course, post her report pics or no.  Fer pete's sake, do you realize the kind of drivel we are willing to read here on STN?!? Naming no names, of course.  Bigsmile

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.  -Douglas Adams
bluepoof
supergirl powers of dewm and stuff.

Reputation 111

Years Contributed: '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Ninja 250, '02 XT225, '08 CRF80F
GPS: San Carlos, CA
Miles Typed: 4243

My Photo Gallery

Blueberry Stiglet Coho MotoGuzziBatmanGilligan III

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: October 30, 2008, 12:10:49 am »

I would LOVE to read it.  Inlove

Also, I'm sorry to hear about your dad.  My dad passed away from Alzheimer's as well and I know how much that sucks.  Sad

07 Kawasaki Ninja 250 * 02 Yamaha XT225 * 08 Honda CRF80F
www.bluepoof.com
jsanford
Devil Duck Monster

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: '04 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 '08 Ducati Monster 695
Miles Typed: 1509

My Photo Gallery

Every day is Ride to Work Day

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: October 30, 2008, 12:31:41 am »

Another vote for posting it, verbatim from her email.  There's so few firsthand stories from long-time women riders.

This is awesome: she document a bit of your family history.

'08  Monster 695   '04 Moto Guzzi Breva
Weaselette

Reputation 0

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2009 Suzuki VStrom 650
GPS: Wenatchee, WA
Miles Typed: 75

My Photo Gallery

ASAT - All Suzukis, All of the Time

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: November 01, 2008, 03:28:08 pm »

So sorry for your loss, but please do post, your mother sounds like a real inspiration. Occasionally I wonder what age I'll be when I finally stop riding, and it's good to know that I can keep inching that number upwards....

Sara (Wenatchee, WA)
'09 Suzuki DL650
Busy Little Whiner

Reputation -1476

Years Contributed: Nothing but complaints
Years Supported: Nothing but complaints
Miles Typed: 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: November 01, 2008, 05:45:47 pm »

I understand that anything over 45 (?) is a waste,

Correct...

LicketySplat
Not the droid you're looking for

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '02 YZF600R, '05 SV650S
Miles Typed: 493

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: November 02, 2008, 01:26:50 pm »

Eric, I'd read it for sure, but I wonder if it deserves a wider audience. What about submitting it to a magazine?

My condolences to you both for the loss of your father.

Hold my beer and watch this.
Shoganai
Let's do some living!

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 1993 K1100RS "The Shop Whore" , 1994 K1100RS "Blue Streak"
GPS: Culpeper, VA
Miles Typed: 187

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: November 03, 2008, 05:09:31 am »

EEK! I'm sort of shocked at how this "STN's Pool of Knowledge for Woman Riders" turned into a discussion about aunt flo.   Strange... anyway... It will definitely keep the men out, that's for sure.  

I have a question for you though.  Do any of you work on your own bike?  And if so, how did you learn how to do it?  
Thanks in advance!

Hi, I started working on my bike because it was 3 hours to the nearest BMW shop.

At first I was scared to death I would make what ever I was trying to fix worse or couldn't put it back together.
1. I bought the BMW service manual and the Clymer. They each serve different needs.
2. I used the internet as a HUGE dictionary and Ref. Lib. There's nothing I could face that has not already been over come, fixed or improved by someone else.
3. I joined ADV and asked for help, including taking pics of the issues at hand. I recieved fun, funny and real good help.
4. When working on my bike, I would take pics so I can review what it looked like BEFORE I tore it apart. (very good for back tracking)
5. I met a man who worked with me, and taught me a lot. As a matter of fact, we are getting married soon, and it all started with us working on my bike in 2006. Inlove

My best advice is not fear it. "Fear is the mind killer" - Dune

It's just a bike.
If you try and fail, at least you tried, and the shop will put it right.
I know it's a tired saying, but it's so damn true: "Knowledge is power".

Power over you situation if you are broke down and can fix it and get back on the road.
Power to control what is done to your bike and how.
Power to explore the inner working of the machine you are trusting with your life.

And last but NOT least, you'll be Empowered to go further, adventure deeper, and explore lonely places alone and confidently.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220358
The Shop Whore Gets Naked (thread covering many wrenching stories)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 05:12:37 am by Shoganai » Logged

People living deeply have no fear of death. - Anais Nin
Shoganai
Let's do some living!

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 1993 K1100RS "The Shop Whore" , 1994 K1100RS "Blue Streak"
GPS: Culpeper, VA
Miles Typed: 187

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: November 03, 2008, 05:22:06 am »

Lately, though, my face has gotten *really* windburned and dry on all-day rides, even when I use lots of my daily moisturizer (30 SPF) plus sunscreen.

I use this exclusively. Pro-Tech-Skin (Since 1990)

http://www.atsko.com/products/skin-hair-care/pro-tech-skin.html

Apply once in the morning to lips, nose and cheeks thinnly. That's it.
It's a beeswax base, so it seals the skin.
You can't wear make-up with it.
It washes off with soap and water.

People living deeply have no fear of death. - Anais Nin
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal