Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: what credit card?  (Read 2150 times)

katrider
ahh, retirement

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 2003 Triumph Sprint ST, now replaced by an '04 SV650S, now replaced by a CB900F. Does it never end?
GPS: Ex-West Puget Sound...now in North Texas!! Oh SNAP...back to the PacNW.
Miles Typed: 363

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: April 20, 2008, 08:41:19 pm »

I am making a fall trip to Scotland and need to know what credit card works best in the British Isles...

Finally rode the Isle of Man TT circuit...
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Dr Gil
"Datsa notta noise, eetsa sound!"

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08
Motorcycles: '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans
GPS: Eureka, CA USA
Miles Typed: 1798

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 09:21:47 pm »

My wife (the bodaciously named Beck-zuki) and I have traveled many times to the U.K., France and Italy and find any major credit card works fine with the local ATM's (don't like to carry a lot of cash).   Wink

Personally we've tended towards VISA but I don't really think it makes a difference.   Smile

Dr. Gil's Deluxe Website

-John Steinbeck  "Yeah, I'
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: a few!
GPS: Canada & Alps
Miles Typed: 1539

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 10:45:28 am »

I am making a fall trip to Scotland and need to know what credit card works best in the British Isles...

They all might not work if you don't call your credit card company before leaving. You should let them know that you'll be using your credit card abroad, or else they may freeze any activity considered to be unusual.

All the best,
Alex
More info on motorcycles, Euro and Alps touring can be found at my Edelweiss SmugMug site.
Advertisement

FJR-UK
Retired STNer

Reputation 18

GPS: SE London
Miles Typed: 698

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 02:08:52 pm »

They all might not work if you don't call your credit card company before leaving. You should let them know that you'll be using your credit card abroad, or else they may freeze any activity considered to be unusual.

Good advice. I would also recommend carrying more than one card. Some places that will take VISA won't take MasterCard (Access) and vice versa. On my three-day trip to Paris last week, I used a MasterCard everywhere with no problem. But, when it came time to pay my hotel bill, my card was refused. My VISA card worked. I had a third and fourth card waiting, just in case.

To answer the original question, all the major credit cards work here and in Europe, but the most common are VISA and MasterCard (Access).
Ant
Resident PB&J Hater

Reputation 11

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 2015 GTR1400, 2006 Bandit 650, 1982 Bonneville T140E (in need of rennovation!)
GPS: Cotswolds, UK
Miles Typed: 3957

My Photo Gallery

Si non confectus, reficiat

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 06:31:42 am »

Don't rely on American Express cards though, they are accepted in some places over here but there are a lot of places that won't take them.
Visa or Mastercard will be fine.
RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 32

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '17 FJR 1300ES, (lamented) '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3748

My Photo Gallery

In Witness Relocation...

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 09:42:02 am »

+1 on telling the card company before you go.  Keep in mind that US card companies tack on exchange fees for non-dollar transactions, and also (how convenient) time exchanges in their favor on occasion.  Given the exchange rate fluctuation's (only the Odd Gods know what they'll be in the fall), there's much to be said for carrying cash (and wisely securing same) and doing exchanges on a good day (although, insert cautionary rant regarding market timing here).  

It's taken me entirely too long to develop a sense of patience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal