Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Nine States, Two Scraped Pegs and a Warrant - 2005 National Meet Repost  (Read 11376 times)

opus

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: 1995 VFR 750F
GPS: Vancouver, WA
Miles Typed: 560

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2010, 12:22:52 PM »

I noticed the other day that there were a bunch of broken image links (from when I changed web hosts), and also some sideways pictures.  All better now.   Thumbsup
Rabidsnipe

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: None
GPS: Edmond, OK
Miles Typed: 1123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2010, 09:02:12 PM »

Incredible! Thumbsup

-Chase
opus

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2010, 10:55:40 AM »

There actually is a jeep trail that comes down off one of the moutains there into Telluride.  That may have been the road you were seeing.

And it looks like Bcorn is using her fairings as peg scrappers in some of those shots I didn't think a Blackbird had that much ground clearnace lol.

Sounds like he was blowing smoke to me cause I'm not even sure if a deputy can issue or revoke warrants.  I thought that was something a magistrate or judge had to issue.  

That looks like an awesome trail.   Thumbsup

Yes, Bcorn got really low on those shots.  She's crazy.   Lol

The prosecuting attorney told me the deputy was full of crap on the warrant.   The deputy was just trying to scare me, and it worked.  I know better now.   Rolleyes
hovmaven
I'm Mr. Happy

Reputation 226

Years Contributed: '06
Motorcycles: Recalculating. . ..
Miles Typed: 3691

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2011, 10:08:06 AM »

Day Seven - Thursday, June 23
Montrose, CO to Durango, CO to Montrose, CO
~300 Miles

I wandered around for a bit more, then looked around.  All I could see were the “relaxed-pace” people.  I’m thinking “Oh, man.  I’d rather repeat a ride with the faster paced riders rather then poke along (no offense) with the relaxed-pace people.”  I went back into the breakfast area and told RonC that I was going to catch up with MisterEd and the others.  At that point, my new future riding buddy made herself known.  Smile

Brianne (aka bcorn) asked if she could tag along with me as I tried to catch up to the group.  I said sure.  We talked about pace for a bit, and I said that I mostly do 8-12 over, and do enjoying passing quite a bit.  She said “You won’t lose me...”  hehe.

We get out on the road and start heading down 550 South.  I’m in the lead and we come up to a large group of cagers, all lined up like sheep, one behind the other.  I dropped a couple of gears and started passing the first four or five.  I looked in my mirrors to see if bcorn was going to be able to find a spot to pass and DAMN!  She’s right on my six, looking like I’m going too slow for her.  Hmm, not quite what I expected.  She *IS* riding an XX, though.  Double hmm...

I can’t remember what spot it was exactly, somewhere before or after Ridgway, but somewhere in there bcorn decided that I wasn’t going fast enough.  I had just dropped a couple of gears, went wfo, and started passing about two or three cars in a row.  All of a sudden on my left goes bcorn like I’m standing still.  Up until that point I hadn’t ever felt like the VFR was underpowered, but DAMN!  Hehe.  She picks up the pace, so I followed along behind like the spanked VFR that I was.  We uh, “kept a spirited pace” until we came up to the group.  They had pulled off to take some pictures.  We pulled over and said hello to everyone.  I talked to bcorn and we decided to go ahead on our own.  I think we kind of felt we had similar riding styles (but not similar HP) and didn’t want mess with a good thing.  I was a bit worried about speeding tickets (shutup, people) so I mentioned it to bcorn.  She said she would take the hit and lead.  I said that was fine with me.  Bigsmile

We rode for a while, then came upon this really beautiful lake.  I swear, the Rockies are the most grand, majestic and awe-inspiring place I’ve been in the U.S.  Going through Zion was wonderful, but it didn’t hit me like the Rockies did.  I didn’t make it to the Grand Canyon, but I think it would be a tie at most.  It’s more the overall effect of the Rockies rather than one specific spot.  Anyway...

. . .

After that bcorn and I headed over to the informal group dinner.  We hung out for a little bit, then ended up going and having dinner with bcorn’s friend Jennifer The Park Ranger.  After that bcorn and I were talking and we decided to get together the next morning for some action shots of the bikes in action.  She knew of a road that went down into the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and I liked the “pass” outside of Montrose to the east, on the way to Gunnison.

After that, I would continue on with my SouthWest trip and head towards Four Corners.  She was planning on heading east to Pike’s Peak for the annual Hill Climb.  Of course, my plans were going to get changed a bit.  Just a little...

Yowsa . . . thought she sounded familiar. . ..    Hail Hail Hail

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484912&page=179   (see posts 2650, 2673)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXbI9JbY-sM&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 10:11:30 AM by hovmaven » Logged

I survived the 2007 VFR Hostage Crisis.   
My IBA number is lower than DNA's.
NoVa First Responder.
opus

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2011, 11:09:16 AM »

Yep, she's pretty amazing. Smile

And those Independence Pass pics look familiar. Probably because I took them.  Lol

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 01:13:26 AM by opus » Logged
hovmaven
I'm Mr. Happy

Reputation 226

Years Contributed: '06
Motorcycles: Recalculating. . ..
Miles Typed: 3691

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2011, 11:18:48 AM »

Wish I could be this good at my day job. . ..   Bigok

I survived the 2007 VFR Hostage Crisis.   
My IBA number is lower than DNA's.
NoVa First Responder.
hankd

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2002 CBR1100XX
Miles Typed: 29

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2012, 03:17:30 PM »

1st time to read...awesome write-up!

Following Brianne on youtube now too...

2002 CBR1100XX Blackbird, Jaws Straight Bar Conversion, D&D slip-ons, Corbin seat, Givi windshield.
birdrunner

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: CBR1100xx, XR650L
GPS: Edmonton
Miles Typed: 4533

My Photo Gallery

I am firm in my indecision.

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2012, 11:16:37 AM »

So here's what happened with this.  My wife also told me that there was a warrant for my arrest in Colorado.  Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!  I'd never been in this much trouble.  What the hell do I do now?  I'm seriously stressing out.  Called my wife who had been in a full out panic since the deputy had called the previous morning.  If the "Opus Missing?" thread was around (or if you remember it) you'd know what I mean.  Long conversation short, my innocent wife had told the deputy "Yes, he's in that area, yes he's wearing that gear, yes he's riding that bike with that plate."  Whoops.  The only thing I can figure out is that someone got upset that I was passing them on the way to Ouray, and called in my plate while I was waiting to pass the next car.  As I said, I didn't do anything rude.  That included waiting for oncoming traffic to clear so I didn't freak anyone out.  So, he put two and two together and assumed it was me.

Now, at this point I'm thinking I'm in serious trouble with the warrant.  My only concept of a warrant is something that will get you hauled off to jail if you get pulled over.  That sounds bad, no?  So, I'm thinking "Ok, time to use up some of that karma and make this right."  I'm thinking do whatever it takes to get rid of the warrant.

So, I call the deputy.  I told him that yes that was me, and no I didn't know he was following me.  He said that he had done the math, and in order for him not to catch up to me by Ouray, I had to have been doing 100MPH+.  And that meant eluding.  I told him that I wasn't eluding, that I had been going that fast all morning.  I said that when I passed him I had slowed down for the corner, then went back up to 100 or so.  I mentioned that I had been in Colorado for days and had got the impression that the police didn't really care about speeding out in the rural districts, and it didn't really occur to me that I was doing anything wrong.

I don't know if he figured he had a hard case to prove or what, but he grudgingly went along with that.  He said he had clocked me doing 86 in a 55 for sure.  I agreed that I had been going that fast and wasn't arguing about that.  Then he said that he would send me a ticket in the mail for 86 in a 55 and remove the warrant.  I said that was very fair and that I would pay it with no issues, and thanked him.  Then we hung up.

Problem solved, right?  Nope.

After I got back from the trip, a week or so later, I got a certified piece of mail from the Ouray police department.  I'm thinking, ok cool, we can wrap this up and I learned my lesson.  So, I signed for the letter and opened it up.  Guess what?  It wasn't for 85 in a 55, it was for 110 in a 55 and also had a "Dangerous Mountain Driving" charge on it.  And guess what else?  This is a felony, so you can't pay by mail.  Motherf*cker...  That bastard knew that I would have sign for it, couldn't claim I never got it, and would have to come down to Colorado to take care of it.  And he seemed really nice on the phone, too.  /sigh  Now what???

I posted about it on ST.N and got a couple pages worth of opinions.  The majority told me to get a lawyer, and were probably right.  A few others, including a district attorney (I think.  Who was that?) told to try talking to the office down there.  I got a couple quotes for attorneys in the Ouray area, and both wanted about a $2000 retainer, and it would probably end up being $3000-$4000 with court appearances.  Oh man.  This suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks!  Why the hell didn't I just pull over?  What an idiot.  

After hemming and hawing for two months (until close to the date when I would have to go down to Colorado), I finally decided what to do.  Somehow I always manage to come out ahead in these kind of situations.  I don't know if it's positive karma from opening doors for women, or saving snails that have totally messed up their navigation and are in the middle of a hot sidewalk, or what.  But, I decided to call the District Attorney and see what I could do.

Started out the conversation with "So, I don't want to shoot myself in the foot here, but I'd like to talk to you about the situation."  He was a really pleasant man to talk to and told me not to worry, he wouldn't use anything against me.  I told him the whole story, except giving him the clean version of "distancing myself from the situation", and saying that I just kept on towards Ouray as normal.

We talked about the eluding part of the situation, which he said was totally inaccurate.  He said that I would have had to see the deputy behind me, with lights on, and then try to get away.  I had never even seen the deputy behind me, never saw lights, etc.  Which was true. Mostly.  Not quite accurate when I headed north to Ridgway.

One funny part is that he had never heard of "Dangerous Mountain Driving" and would have to look it up.  Apparently it's meant for extremely rural roads where there are little or no markings or signs, and people are driving outside of reason.  He said it didn't apply to a state highway and it should be dropped.  Whew.

Then he says "Hmm, it says here that you stated you were doing 100+ and that's why the deputy didn't catch up to you."  Oh crap.  Kinda forgot about that part.  The conversation had been over three months previous.  Whoops.  There's a very pregnant pause (more like a pregnant-demon-from-hell-carrying-the-spawn-of-the-devil-pause) and he says (God bless him) "Yeah, I've taken my BMW through those roads and it's really hard to keep your hand off the throttle..."  Yesssssssssssssssssssssss!!!  A fellow motorcyclist!!!  Ok, there go the rest of my karma points.  He says "Let's drop the dangerous mountain driving and just call it 86 in a 55 like the deputy agreed to."  I said that sounded very fair and I was very grateful.  We have a minute or two of follow up conversation and are about to hang up.  Then he says, "Uh-oh, wait a minute..."

Oh crap.  Maybe I didn't have enough karma saved up after all.  Dammit dammit dammit...

Then he says "86 in a 55 is still in the felony bracket, let's just drop that down to 85."   Blink, blink.  "Why thank you, sir.  I appreciate that."  And may gold coins fall from the sky into your yard, sir.  hehe.

I got the ticket in the mail a week later.  It was for 85 in a 55, and it was $176.  Whew.  Of course, since I used up all my karma points, I laid down my bike a month later.  Actually, that was all stupidity, but karma sounds better.    So there you go]

I'd never read the full story.

you lucky bastard.

I could eat a bowl of Alpha Bits and shit a better argument than that.
Justin

Reputation 58

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR
GPS: Sunny Colorado
Miles Typed: 6096

My Photo Gallery

Hi, I'm Phteven

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2012, 12:17:07 PM »

you lucky bastard.

Same here - never had the full details. Glad to hear it worked out in the end, even though there was far to much talking and admission going on  Lol

FAST: 2004 "Silver Bullet" FJR1300 - FASTER: 2008 Touring/Endurance Hayabusa
www.ledrider.com
Kneescrubber
King of the 90º flat turn

Reputation 18

Motorcycles: '99 Honda VFR, '73 BMW R75/5
GPS: The western U.S. is strewn with paper maps I've lost from my tankbag.
Miles Typed: 3777

My Photo Gallery

Just a little more

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2012, 01:17:00 PM »

This is without a doubt the best ride report I've read here. Thanks Hovmaven.  Thumbsup

I'm on ST.N so its not like I'm a productive member of society anyway.   DogBoy
It's the internet.  It runs on drama.    Cablebandit
The difference between fiction and reality is fiction has to be believable.  Tom Clancy
opus

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2012, 04:02:05 PM »

you lucky bastard.

Yeah, kinda...   Lol
opus

Reputation 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2012, 04:03:22 PM »

Same here - never had the full details. Glad to hear it worked out in the end, even though there was far to much talking and admission going on  Lol

That made me a little nervous too. hehe.
SuperSlider

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Kawasaki C14 aka The Tank
GPS: Dallastown, PA
Miles Typed: 472

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2012, 08:03:25 PM »

I remember reading this report quite a while ago, glad it resurfaced and gave the winter blahs I've been feeling a swift kick in the pants.

Faster than a speeding Concours, more powerful than a twisty road, able to plow through muddy ditches in a single bound, it's a bird, it's a plane, no..... It's SuperSlider!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal