Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: OLD AGE OR...?  (Read 3253 times)

wildman

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: yamah 1986 fj 1200
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: May 27, 2008, 05:58:50 pm »

Hey guys, am i alone or does anyone else have a problem with their hand going to sleep as they ride as they get older..? At first i thought it was just my last bike..(moto guzzi ambassador) but now my new bike (fj 1200) i still have the same problem...  just curious...thx  
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

GPS: Las Vegas, NV
Miles Typed: 13198

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 06:02:00 pm »

I found the problem happens a lot more when I wear looser-fitting gloves.  Something about the way it bunches up around my hand when I'm in traffic and holding the clutch lever a lot puts my hand to sleep, cuts off the circulation, and causes numbness.  I never had that when I was younger, either, but a combination of poorer circulation and poor-fitting gloves is making me frown when it's cold out.

I must drink beer.  Beer is the mind-killer.  Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my beer.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me. 
MarcS
Ninja Member

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: ZX14
GPS: King George, VA
Miles Typed: 345

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 06:54:26 pm »

I found the problem happens a lot more when I wear looser-fitting gloves.  Something about the way it bunches up around my hand when I'm in traffic and holding the clutch lever a lot puts my hand to sleep, cuts off the circulation, and causes numbness.  I never had that when I was younger, either, but a combination of poorer circulation and poor-fitting gloves is making me frown when it's cold out.

I consider myself younger (26) and I agree w/ the looser fitting gloves thing -- in the winter I often wear a pair of ski gloves and they force me to grip the throttle and clutch lever harder to maintain traction, so my hands soak up more of the vibes. With my thin summer gloves, I can maintain a much lighter grip on the controls and that seems to prevent the tiring and numbing.
Advertisement

kitkite

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: SV650, XT225
GPS: garmin
Miles Typed: 84

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 08:27:09 pm »

yup  my hand goes numb! a lot.  real band in the long straights. twists are ok im moving around. i have carpal tunnel sy.
Gsam

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: ST1300
Miles Typed: 143

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 08:32:45 pm »

With my previous ride (busa with Heli bars) after about an hour yes. Now with the ST1300 I have no wrist pressure, vibration or sleepy hands.
Playinthestreet

Reputation -5

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: 03 Sprint ST
GPS: Stuck in Lodi
Miles Typed: 4124

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 08:34:53 pm »

You may find something like "grip puppies" help.
Scratch33

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, 2x'10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '08 R1200GSA, '09 DD750, '07 F800S, '10 Madass 125
GPS: That Other Place
Miles Typed: 12394

My Photo Gallery

His Excellency's Car!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 08:36:35 pm »

Adjusting the controls on the handlebar so my forearm & wrist are straight helps; as does adding a Throttle Rocker; as does Grip Puppies.  

All Your Forum Are Belong to VS
UHOH

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: C-14 Sport-tour
GPS: Washington State - the dry, east side
Miles Typed: 1177

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 10:21:32 pm »

Hey guys, am i alone or does anyone else have a problem with their hand going to sleep as they ride...

$12 solution.   Cramp Buster, slips on over the grip.  
If it's too long and hits your tank, a hack saw shortens it in 5 seconds.
Seemed strange at first, but I like it now.  
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g124/uhoh01/4-15-2007xfer284.jpg
Shortened one ^^^
M.Brane
Owner of many Vs

Reputation 4

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: 2 VFRs & a GTS
GPS: 1 hr N/W of LA LA Land
Miles Typed: 2850

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 11:08:09 pm »

I've found that ill-fitting gloves (either too loose or too tight) are problematic for me. I have a hard time finding gloves that fit my large hands well. I've finally found a couple pairs that fit good, and 90% of my hand-numbing problems have gone away.

The other 10% is RPM related bar vibes, and hand positioning. Just keeping my hands active i.e. changing position frequently, and stretching helps a lot.
motocardio

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Husqvarna SM 610
Miles Typed: 54

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 11:29:46 pm »

actually there has been lots of discussion on this topic for many many years.  Usually the first answers are new gloves, grips or bar design.  But the primary cause is most likely your jacket or what you are piling on under the jacket.  There tends to be nerve impingement in the under arm from poor fitting that can manifest itself in numb or tingling hands.  When you are wearing something to tight around the arm pit, with increased pressure fadded from the reach to the bars, you get physical problem like you are describing in the hand(s).  Try a larger/looser jacket and see what happens before you go to other motorcycle parts or bike changes.  I have know riders who changed bikes before changing jackets only to learn the expensive way it was not the bike's fault.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal