Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 [76] 77   Go Down
Print

Topic: The Official S-T.N Digital Camera Thread  (Read 135343 times)

Avigar
What coffee meet?!?

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '05 FJR1300
GPS: Way North of Chiraq
Miles Typed: 620

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1500 on: March 31, 2012, 01:37:49 AM »

Any suggestions on a quality P&S under $300?  I had a nice Kodak back when digicams were new, replaced it with a crap one I can'd stand, and want a real camera again.  

The reviews seem to point to either the elph 500hs or sony hx9v depending on how much I want to spend.  I already have too many expensive hobbies to get a DSLR.

I'd go with the Canon Elph 500 due to the faster lens aperture of f/2.0 vs. Sony's at f/3.3. This would mean your indoor pics should come out much brighter. Action type pics should also fare a little better when the lens is used wide.

--Ben

It's not the destination, but the journey, that counts. A sport-tourer's ride between two points is seldom a straight line. He will often seek the most convoluted route possible to reach his destination.
cultureslayer

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '89 ex250
GPS: NC USA
Miles Typed: 5798

My Photo Gallery

furry ninja

Ignore
« Reply #1501 on: April 03, 2012, 01:49:16 PM »

I'd go with the Canon Elph 500 due to the faster lens aperture of f/2.0 vs. Sony's at f/3.3. This would mean your indoor pics should come out much brighter. Action type pics should also fare a little better when the lens is used wide.

I found the elph 500 on clearance at target.  Electronics get marked down on Monday, so I got one for $90 monday afternoon.  They still have the elph 300 that should be getting marked down soon too (currently $150 at my store).  Just FYI in case any of you want a cheap camera to throw in the tankbag.

Now I just have to order a screen protector, extra battery, and case.  Bigsmile

Lauren
Avigar
What coffee meet?!?

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1502 on: April 03, 2012, 09:35:31 PM »

Congrats on a great find and price. For accessories and selection, try Amazon.

--Ben

It's not the destination, but the journey, that counts. A sport-tourer's ride between two points is seldom a straight line. He will often seek the most convoluted route possible to reach his destination.
Yankee Dog

Reputation 16

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 12 Tiger 800 ..................... 05.Ural.GearUp ........................................ 05.BMW.F650GS
GPS: Decatur, AL
Miles Typed: 2277

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1503 on: June 01, 2012, 03:11:43 PM »

The missus just got a new camera, a Pentax Optio WG-2. Seems the old one didnt take to well to being dipped in muddy water.   Rolleyes  but anyway thats another story.

takes nice photos standing still, but the basic point and shoot setting doesnt do too well when photo are taken under way. Come out way blurry. Anyone familiar with this model. It has a bazillion settings. Which one will speed the shutter up a bit. Setting the camera to manual is not a good solution. the missus wants to keep it simple and frankly so do I.

Jeff
Used to be redsuperhawk

Reputation 35

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: Only a Schwinn but not leaving STN
GPS: Starved Rock is my backyard.
Miles Typed: 3960

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1504 on: June 01, 2012, 06:03:33 PM »

Is there a shutter priority option? That will allow you to set the shutter speed, and then the camera will automatically chose the aperture setting. If there isn't that, see if there's an option for a sports setting, or something that would have an icon like a person running.

Jeff
JReazor

Reputation 27

Motorcycles: 2000 SV650, 2011 Sprint GT, 2007 C3
GPS: Drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
Miles Typed: 3319

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1505 on: June 14, 2012, 02:47:43 PM »

Nikon's new full frame DSLR is coming! The price is rumored to be in the $1500 range. If that's true, I might have some Canon gear to sell.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/14/nikon-d600-pictures-leak-offers-full-frame-snapping-at-a-crop-f/
Corbeau
My way is the highway

Reputation 12

Motorcycles: Red 2002 Honda VFR Interceptor
GPS: Ottawa, ON, Great White North
Miles Typed: 1006

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1506 on: January 20, 2013, 08:41:21 AM »

I'm about a week away from making the jump to my first dSLR, after years of shooting film (with a SLR, of course) and using an old Canon digital P&S.

Canon 7D, 17-55 f/2.8, 50 f/1.4 and 70-200 f/4L (non IS)

Got Busch's book on the 7D for Xmas as well as Kelby's book on Lightroom 4.

Next step is figure out a way to carry that on the bag.

: proselyting daily for the Church of the Holy Interceptor and passing out the Kool-Aid.
http://www.grandcorbeau.com/images/icons.jpg
See you Aug. 2nd-5th, 2013 for SNOB III
Corbeau
My way is the highway

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1507 on: February 12, 2013, 08:41:26 AM »

Well, I got it!

Found myself a nice kit: Soon to be gripped 7D, EF 20mm f/2.8 USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, 580 EX II Speedlite. On the wish list: Grip and a 70-200 f/4L

: proselyting daily for the Church of the Holy Interceptor and passing out the Kool-Aid.
JReazor

Reputation 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1508 on: February 12, 2013, 08:50:12 AM »

Well, I got it!

Found myself a nice kit: Soon to be gripped 7D, EF 20mm f/2.8 USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, 580 EX II Speedlite. On the wish list: Grip and a 70-200 f/4L

That's a very nice rig. I just bought a 50 1.4 and couldn't be happier with it.

Are you looking at the IS or non-IS version of the 70-200? The non-IS lens is a heck of a bargain.
Corbeau
My way is the highway

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1509 on: February 13, 2013, 12:04:49 PM »

Are you looking at the IS or non-IS version of the 70-200? The non-IS lens is a heck of a bargain.

$ of 70-200 IS = $ of 70-200 non IS + $ good tripod + $ ballhead

JReazor

Reputation 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1510 on: February 13, 2013, 01:35:54 PM »

$ of 70-200 IS = $ of 70-200 non IS + $ good tripod + $ ballhead

Yeah, no kidding. The way I look at it, if I'm shooting a 70-200 I'm probably outside anyway. I should have enough light for a decent shutter speed.
Avigar
What coffee meet?!?

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1511 on: June 20, 2013, 03:43:34 AM »

I saw this as I was looking for info on compact ultrazoom cameras. It's the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 with a Leica 25-600mm ultrazoom lens and a constant f/2.8 aperture throughout the entire zoom range...wow.  Inlove  That is one nice bridge camera.

http://www.panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/fz200/

--Ben

Bounce
FJR1300

Reputation 19

GPS: USA
Miles Typed: 1847

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1512 on: June 20, 2013, 09:58:37 AM »

Been loving my Pentax K5. Donated my Pentax *ist dSLR to by brother with the kit lens, a starter tripod and the enjoinder to go forth and shoot (pics).

Was looking at f2.8 lenses the other day and weeping at the prices.

http://lenshero.com/lens/Sigma-120-300mm-f2.8-EX-DG-OS-APO-HSM-Pentax-k-lens

FJR-Tips.org

IBA #285
vitaminC
Good for you.

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: BMW
GPS: Redwood City, CA
Miles Typed: 1370

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1513 on: June 20, 2013, 11:40:29 AM »

Been loving my Pentax K5. Donated my Pentax *ist dSLR to by brother with the kit lens, a starter tripod and the enjoinder to go forth and shoot (pics).

Was looking at f2.8 lenses the other day and weeping at the prices.

http://lenshero.com/lens/Sigma-120-300mm-f2.8-EX-DG-OS-APO-HSM-Pentax-k-lens

No kidding! I picked up the 16-50 f2.8 last year just before Pentax effectively doubled the prices on their lenses. Now it hardly ever comes off the camera  Bigsmile  OTOH, I've had pretty good luck picking up some used stuff with substantial savings over new.
Avigar
What coffee meet?!?

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1514 on: June 20, 2013, 07:44:26 PM »

My Nikon fast lenses are worth more used today than when I bought them new a few years ago.   EEK!  I'm glad I bought them back then.

--Ben

JimWilliamson

Reputation 29

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
GPS: Fort Collins, CO
Miles Typed: 2486

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1515 on: June 20, 2013, 10:49:28 PM »

I saw this as I was looking for info on compact ultrazoom cameras. It's the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 with a Leica 25-600mm ultrazoom lens and a constant f/2.8 aperture throughout the entire zoom range...wow.  Inlove  That is one nice bridge camera.

And it has an articulating LCD - one feature I want.
Corbeau
My way is the highway

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1516 on: July 23, 2013, 08:29:20 PM »

I ended up getting a non-IS 70-200. Ultrasharp lens, great bang for the buck, weather sealing...

Here's a "where to pack the camera" question. Yeah, it's a bit lengthy, but I like to write...

Leaving in a couple of weeks on a 10-day, 5,000-mile sport-touring ride with moto-camping, with my trusted 02 VFR. Oxford Lifetime tank bag (which tends to take on water when it rains...), Givi 50 litre topbox, a pair of Joe Rocket soft saddlebags, lined with garbage bags galore. Might pack a tripod (Manfrotto 190XBpro) if I can find a way to protect it from the elements -- me thinks it's too long to fit inside the topbox.
I want to shoot landscapes, people I meet, self-portraits next to the bike at the "Welcome to XXX" signs at statelines and great curves in the road. Will pack the Canon 7D almot-pro DSLR, but I'd like to limit myself to two lenses.
Here are my choices, from wide to tele:  20mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200 4 non-IS. If I have room, I'll throw in a 580EXII flash and perhaps an old MacBook (2008) to download from my 8G card. Culling of pictures at a campsite at night, perhaps, but not much post processing because it would take all night on the MacBook's 1GB of RAM...
Where to pack? The tank bag allows for great convenience when it's time for a road side shot for the ride report. Unfortunately, there's not much padding between the bag and the metal tank. Moreover, the tank bag also carries an important CamelBack filled with ice water, which tends to have significant condensation on it on a hot summer day. The topbox (with the photo gear in a Domke F2 bag) gives me weatherproofing, padding (depending on what's below the gear), security, but at the cost of convenience, because I usually have a thermarest rolled up right next to the latch of the box and I'll need to unbungee that in order to open the box...

(Told ya, it was not a quick question...)

Among not-so-useful replies that I don't want to see:
  • Use your iPhone to take pictures
  • Go back to a Point & Shoot
  • Buy hard bags to replace the soft ones. (I'd rather fund a 10-22, 17-40 or 28-70)
  • Ditch the Thermarest. (Been there, done that, worst night of my life)

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 48

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '09 Honda Transalp
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 14019

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #1517 on: July 24, 2013, 02:18:26 AM »

Where to pack? The tank bag allows for great convenience when it's time for a road side shot for the ride report. Unfortunately, there's not much padding between the bag and the metal tank. Moreover, the tank bag also carries an important CamelBack filled with ice water, which tends to have significant condensation on it on a hot summer day.

I don't know how much room you have in your tank bag, but this is what I do (and haven't found a better solution): I keep the camera in its case (it's a small case, just enough to hold the body and my 2nd lens - looks sort of like this) and then put the case, with the lid folded back, inside my tank bag. This allows my camera to stay protected and dry, yet still be within easy reach for photos.

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.
Corbeau
My way is the highway

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1518 on: August 02, 2013, 02:09:40 PM »

Thanks, Mother Den, I'll think about that.

For SNOB III's day rides, I'll pack my Dakine Sequence bag (look like this: http://www.dakine-shop.de/images/product_images/detail_images/Dakine_Sequence_fotoprofi-2467.jpg) in my top box.

Yeah, I'm going to look like a pro, with 46 litres worth of photo gear...

BTW, I found a solution to the tripod: It's in a MEC (i.e. Canada's REI) dry bag, http://www.mec.ca/product/4011-624/mec-weigh-lite-dry-bag/?f=10&q=dry%2Bbag, the extra large version, 75cm x 20cm. A couple of compression straps and Bob's your uncle. (Or whatever the Swiss name for Bob is...)

SWriverstone
The Road Cubist

Reputation 6

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '10
Motorcycles: '07 Wee-Strom Past: '06 VFR800, '06 KLR650
GPS: Morgantown, WV
Miles Typed: 4133

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1519 on: September 24, 2013, 02:56:48 PM »

Unlike Corbeau---who made the leap to the world of DSLRs---I'm about to do the opposite...and SELL all my DSLRs to buy a really kickass point-and-shoot. Why would I do such a thing? Mainly because in the past few years, I've barely used my DSLRs. For all the stuff I do, I just find them way too big and bulky. I end up using my iPhone for 90% of the photos I take...which is starting to irritate me because the photo quality is crap (compared with a DSLR or the best POS cameras).

I've also decided I really want a GPS-enabled camera...because I'm tired of forgetting where most of the pics I take were. (While the iPhone can add location data, I never have its GPS turned on because it kills battery life bigtime.)

SO...what I'm looking for is a small/compact/pocketable camera that has...
• GPS
• excellent low-light capability (fast lens + low-noise, high-ISO capability)
• REALLY important: a VERY short/fast autofocus and interval between shots (I want to be able to press the shutter button once per second and have the camera keep up!)

What I don't care much about (anymore) is...
• zoom (most of my pics are either wide scenic shots, or I "zoom with my feet" to get something closer)
• video (I rarely shoot video just because editing takes too much time and data storage requirements are kind of insane, even with 2TB drives for $100.)
• touchscreens (or any other new fangled additions)

So here are a few of the cameras I've singled out as possibilities:

Panasonic Lumix LX7 - can be had for under $400 and gets rave reviews for its fast lens and superb image quality:

Nikon P7700 - also costs around $400:

Canon PowerShot S120 - around $450:

...or if I really decide to spend the big bucks, I might look at one of these:

Canon G15 (around $500 I think?)

...or what appears to be, currently, the undisputed king of high-end point-and-shoot cameras...the Sony RX100, which costs around $600-650:

Of course none of these have built-in GPS...so if I want that, it looks like my best option is the...

Olympus TOUGH TG-1 - $400

I'm really liking this one, as it has GPS, gets good reviews for low-light capability, fast autofocus, and is waterproof, shockproof, coldproof, you-name-it-proof.

Any thoughts? Comments on any of these?  Bigok

Scott

"I wanted to write a shorter letter, but didn't have time." —Abraham Lincoln
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 [76] 77   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal