Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: sport-touring motorcycle style  (Read 7447 times)

croston71

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 84 HONDA INTERCEPTOR
GPS: LITTLE HOCKING, OHIO
Miles Typed: 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: January 16, 2007, 07:13:20 PM »

New to the forum- but was wondering do most of you favor the sport or the touring. Looking at bikes it seems a bike with good position loses all sport styling. I ride a Honda Interceptor & considering a  Kawasaki Concours. What is your choice bike?  
I like what I read in another post Sport-Touring isn't what  you ride but how.
Southern -Ohio        Go-Bucks
blackbeltrider

Reputation 12

Miles Typed: 310

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 07:50:07 PM »

I have a Concours, bought new in 01, that now has 90,000 km (54,000 mi.) on the clock. I have found it to be a good all-round bike - comfortable for me for a 16 hour day on the long freeway drone, and very entertaining to ride on curvy roads. Annually, I meet my brother (ST 1100 owner from DFW) half way between his place and mine (a 2 day approx. 1500 mile ride) and we go looking for all the curves we can find for a week and then return home. The Concours has the fuel tank capacity (nearly 6.5 Imp gal) that gives near 300 miles between fill ups - this aids making distance as fuel stops cut average speed down quite a bit. It also has the handling ability to be plenty of fun in the curves.

But it is top heavy when full of gas, and a fairly heavy bike overall - if your inseam is less than 34 inches, I would be cautious whether to choose it or not.

Mine has been as reliable as a stone - one headlight bulb, one tail light bulb, and one speedometer cable (my fault) are the only failures I have had in the miles noted above.

Weather protection is very good, there are a lot of aftermarket add-ons available, and the COG group have a great deal of knowledge regarding the bike and modifications that can be made to it to increase comfort.

Maintenance is relatively easy for normal stuff like valve adjustments, oil changes, plugs, etc.

Power is good - when you hit 7500 rpm it feels like a giant elastic band is launching you - just one long smooth rush up to 10,000.

While they were being sold, they were a bargain price unit as well. If you can find a leftover '06, you will likely get an even better buy.

Of course this represents only my experience. Until Kawasaki came out with the Concours 14, I was really struggling with what to replace mine with.  
goldylocks303
02 Yamie 600R

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '08
GPS: East Bay SF, CA
Miles Typed: 798

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 10:20:36 PM »

I think most of us are desperately trying to shoot the middle.  We want both, we want it all.  It's not that we don't want razor sharp sport handling, it's just we want to ride twisty roads in other states.  We're looking for some sort of perfect compromise.  Based on what I hear I think a lot of us are finding it with a variety of different bikes.  

eD

Try not to have a good time...  this is supposed to be educational.  Charles Schulz
andmoon

Reputation 10

GPS: hillsborough nj 08844
Miles Typed: 353

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 09:26:36 AM »

I think most of us are desperately trying to shoot the middle.  We want both, we want it all.  It's not that we don't want razor sharp sport handling, it's just we want to ride twisty roads in other states.  We're looking for some sort of perfect compromise.  Based on what I hear I think a lot of us are finding it with a variety of different bikes.  

eD

+1

I used to select the 'faster' choice...now I find it more fun to try to ride the slow bike fast than to modulate the speed of a fast one.
STI-51

Reputation 10

GPS: Central CT
Miles Typed: 176

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 03:19:36 PM »

I think too many riders think that the more miles one travels, the more of a die-hard one is.  Sorry, straight-line highway travel for 1,000 miles per day is not sport-touring, it's penis size compensation so one can brag to his friends about how many miles he traveled on his bike today.  I'll take the sport and if it happens to consume 500 miles of backroads then so be it!

2006 Ducati ST3S (Black)
GRN
That's not vibration, it's SOUL...

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: '10 KLX250S, '11 GSX1250FA, '14 R12RT Wethead
GPS: Fredericksburg, VA
Miles Typed: 1365

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 03:49:03 PM »

If I could only have one for everything, it would be my ST13... but lucky for me, I don't have to make that choice!

Bigok

aka "East Coast"
AMA# 864167 STOC# 5445
croston71

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 84 HONDA INTERCEPTOR
GPS: LITTLE HOCKING, OHIO
Miles Typed: 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 07:29:24 PM »

I am a tall rider and have struggled with that, I just saw anew Concours 14 ( Grrrreat) . The more I look at it the Concour sounds better  & better.  Anyone that can recommend an interesting  (curvy & scenic) route  in the Ohio, WV, Kentucky area please post.  Thanks for in put  about the Concours.     Riding back roads is what it is all about , I just would like to ride some back roads I haven't  seen before.   Thanks again!  
DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

GPS: Las Vegas, NV
Miles Typed: 13198

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 10:15:42 PM »

I think too many riders think that the more miles one travels, the more of a die-hard one is.  Sorry, straight-line highway travel for 1,000 miles per day is not sport-touring,

Having done 1000 mile days on the highway, I agree wholeheartedly.  And I think anyone else who's done it would agree as well.  

But...

it's penis size compensation so one can brag to his friends about how many miles he traveled on his bike today.  I'll take the sport and if it happens to consume 500 miles of backroads then so be it!

Feel free to remove that chip from your shoulder any time.  It doesn't match your outfit.

I must drink beer.  Beer is the mind-killer.  Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my beer.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me. 
bem136

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: V65 Sabre, 2006 FJRA
GPS: The Woodlands, TX
Miles Typed: 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 10:34:28 PM »

Also new - Sold a v65 Sabre bought a new 06' FJRA.  Only a few miles but it leans toward the SPORT side of Sport Touring.  I thought about the Kaw but didn't want to wait (I also thought the sand casting marks on the show bike was kinda rough and would want to see if a production unit was a little more finished).  Considered BMW's R & K, but just couldn't justify the initial purchase price, high service price and what appears to be below average quality as far as problems are concerned.  The Beemer's do look VERY finished however, really nice mill work on all the aluminum.  ST was the only other real option, was a close call, but I thought the FJR was TOURING enough for how I'm now riding.

Best of luck with your decision.

Regards,

B

Think and Go Fast !
STI-51

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 10:46:17 PM »

Feel free to remove that chip from your shoulder any time.  It doesn't match your outfit.

Ha ha, come on, it was a little funny!  What other purpose does an IronButt serve than bragging rights?  Anyway, granted there are times when you just want to get from A to B and the highway becomes necessary.  But traveling distance just for the sake of traveling distance (especially on the highway) is somewhat meaningless… mind-numbing,  curveless miles and no time to enjoy the surroundings and novelties along the way.

2006 Ducati ST3S (Black)
cbsnbiker
I speak only for myself.

Reputation -383

Motorcycles: BMWs: '98 K1200RS, '74 R90/6, '07 F650GS; '06 F650GS (RIP), '94 R1100RS (someone else enjoys it now).
GPS: Upstate NY
Miles Typed: 5693

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 12:32:38 AM »

I am a tall rider and have struggled with that, I just saw anew Concours 14 ( Grrrreat) . The more I look at it the Concour sounds better  & better.  Anyone that can recommend an interesting  (curvy & scenic) route  in the Ohio, WV, Kentucky area please post.  Thanks for in put  about the Concours.     Riding back roads is what it is all about , I just would like to ride some back roads I haven't  seen before.   Thanks again!  

Actually, we'd love it if you recommended such roads to us.   Smile

I could have used them last summer, when I rode to Kentucky.

P.S. Welcome to STN.

BMWMOA Life Member, MSF-certified RiderCoach, etc.

Sorry I'm not going to read your link. If it contradicts what I&
Nny
SUV Boxer

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: None right now *sniff*
GPS: Palo Alto CA
Miles Typed: 795

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 02:04:47 PM »

Being a new rider myself I don't know all the good roads out here in Nor Cal, but what I've done to find them is looking on Google Maps.  If you punch in your address and then just drag the screen around you can find lots of curvy stuff...  Well I can anyway, don't know about Ohio...  And then just hop on your bike and go check it out.  You won't really know if it's good or not if you don't ride it yourself.

"Empty your mind.  Be formless...  Shapeless...  Like water." -Bruce Lee
andmoon

Reputation 10

GPS: hillsborough nj 08844
Miles Typed: 353

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 02:15:11 PM »

Being a new rider myself I don't know all the good roads out here in Nor Cal, but what I've done to find them is looking on Google Maps.  If you punch in your address and then just drag the screen around you can find lots of curvy stuff...  Well I can anyway, don't know about Ohio...  And then just hop on your bike and go check it out.  You won't really know if it's good or not if you don't ride it yourself.

just head west and you have curvies everywhere.
or head east and ride the curvies up to Berkeley starting~milpitas
STI-51

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 02:34:13 PM »

There was a poll in the old ST forums that ranked WV as having the best roads for motorcycling in the east.  So it looks like you are in the right area.

2006 Ducati ST3S (Black)
Nny
SUV Boxer

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: None right now *sniff*
GPS: Palo Alto CA
Miles Typed: 795

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 02:46:27 PM »

just head west and you have curvies everywhere.
or head east and ride the curvies up to Berkeley starting~milpitas

Yeah, I know.. I was just extolling the virtues of Google Maps for finding new places to ride.   Bigsmile

"Empty your mind.  Be formless...  Shapeless...  Like water." -Bruce Lee
forester
My money grows on trees.

Reputation -16

Motorcycles: 2006 Suzuki DL650 V-strom
GPS: Cold side of conus
Miles Typed: 2686

My Photo Gallery

06' 'strom: world's bestest bike.

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 03:12:14 PM »

A couple of responses:

1. In my opinion, North Carolina has better roads for sport-touring than WV, but WV has a LOT of twisty roads, as does KY and S. Ohio.

2.  As for looking for one bike that offers as much as possible for our riding pleasure: +1!

For a forester, EVERY day is Earth day.
               SCHADENFREUDE!. Beerchug
STI-51

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 04:31:18 PM »

A couple of responses:

1. In my opinion, North Carolina has better roads for sport-touring than WV, but WV has a LOT of twisty roads, as does KY and S. Ohio.

2.  As for looking for one bike that offers as much as possible for our riding pleasure: +1!

That's b/c NC has the Dragon!  I think one of the reasons why WV was rated so highly was I guess their roads are pretty well maintained (although I cannot confirm personally whether this is true since I hace never ridden there).  In NC, that's not as much of an issue.  I see you're from Michican, the roads must get pretty blasted up there after harsh winters!  EEK!

2006 Ducati ST3S (Black)
forester
My money grows on trees.

Reputation -16

Motorcycles: 2006 Suzuki DL650 V-strom
GPS: Cold side of conus
Miles Typed: 2686

My Photo Gallery

06' 'strom: world's bestest bike.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 04:42:06 PM »

That's b/c NC has the Dragon!  I think one of the reasons why WV was rated so highly was I guess their roads are pretty well maintained (although I cannot confirm personally whether this is true since I hace never ridden there).  In NC, that's not as much of an issue.  I see you're from Michican, the roads must get pretty blasted up there after harsh winters!  EEK!

See my pothole thread on here.  I used to live in Western NC (Clyde, NC).  The dragon is only one of MANY of the thousands of miles of twisty roads in that region.  There is one road between Franklin and Culowee area that just seems like a big long twisted up spring that goes on for miles.  I remember taking the road wondering when it was ever going to end.  I think the answer was over an hour's drive time one-way not a straightaway longer than a 1/4 mile the entire length IIRC.  The views off the Cherohala skyway and the Blue Ridge Parkway are breathtaking, too.  With the exception to occasional falling rock patches, I don't remember NC having poorly maintained roads like we have here in MI.

Right now we're back to winter.  If anyone rides anything around here now, it will be a snowmobile.  Supposedly 12" of fresh snow is coming tomorrow.  I'll believe that when I see ski it.  Wink

For a forester, EVERY day is Earth day.
               SCHADENFREUDE!. Beerchug
johnnyb
My favorite thing in the world was made in China

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '06
Motorcycles: 02 GSF600S Sport bagger, 02 GSX-R750 Track bike
GPS: Milwaukee, WI
Miles Typed: 597

My Photo Gallery

Giddyup

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 04:54:44 PM »

snip.....Sorry, straight-line highway travel for 1,000 miles per day is not sport-touring, it's penis size compensation so one can brag to his friends about how many miles he traveled on his bike today.  .....snip

Naww...It's how some of us get to other places we want to do 500 mile days in the twisties.  No compensation required  Twofinger

I'm either the "slow fast guy" or the "fast slow guy".
Either the "old young guy" or the "young old guy".
STI-51

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 05:08:51 PM »

Naww...It's how some of us get to other places we want to do 500 mile days in the twisties.  No compensation required  Twofinger

Apparantly you didn't read the entire post or fully understand it as 500 miles in the twisties is not the highway.  
Then, I wrote furthermore almost the exact thing you just wrote. Headscratch

Besides, it was written all in good humor.

2006 Ducati ST3S (Black)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal