Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: What is a "Ride Report?" - A few pointers on what should be in this section...  (Read 27766 times)

DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

GPS: Las Vegas, NV
Miles Typed: 13198

My Photo Gallery

« on: January 04, 2009, 12:39:06 PM »

This forum is, essentially, the RoadRunner magazine of ST.N.  Multiday trips, pics, routes, impressions, and even philosophical waxings poetic if you're so moved.

What it's not is a place to say "I test-rode this machine and it's awesome and here's why!"  That's why we have manufacturers' forums.

And if it's neither of these, but it still involves a motorcycle ride like: Your commute, trip to the grocery store, a video of someone else almost getting hit by another bike in his lane; it belongs in General Sport-touring Discussion.

Ride Reports is ST.N's showpiece, pretty much.  If all the other forums constitute the input, RR is the output; the sum which is greater than the parts.  All those bits of information we as a community provide on gear, gadgets, tires, bikes, and routes come together and help a rider have an awesome ride and then they share the experience with the rest of us and make us all envious and stuff and provide inspiration for OUR next ride.

Please feel free to comment, but know that your post will probably be moved if it doesn't fit the forum.  

Cheers
D*

[UFO edit]  The very top of your ride report may be slightly modified (by me) so the first image shows up correctly in the news article section of the homepage http://www.sport-touring.net
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 09:39:22 PM by UFO » Logged

I must drink beer.  Beer is the mind-killer.  Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my beer.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me. 
DogBoy
West Texas Teardrop

Reputation 104

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YZ250F/SM, DRZ400SM, YZF600, KTM450SMR
GPS: Sacramento, Ca
Miles Typed: 10007

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 04:07:54 PM »

Thanks for the sticky Dred.

I agree about limiting the RR forum to multi-day reports only. Day rides can go in the Regional forums or Dirt Lovers for the knobby crowd.

Note: 1KPerDay approved signature lines below.

DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 04:22:07 PM »

Hey, I don't necessarily think that all day-rides need to stay out, especially if:  You cross regions or you've taken a lot of great photos.  

Would you enjoy reading your own RR posts in a magazine if someone else had written it?  Ask yourself that before you post here.  I'm not saying you should be worried about pub-quality writing and photos, but something beyond a trip to the store, ok?

Also - ride videos in conjunction with a trip report are fine and dandy as well, IMHO.  That's one thing we have over Road Runner - we can show moving pictures!

I must drink beer.  Beer is the mind-killer.  Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration.  I will face my beer.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me. 
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 50

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '09 Honda Transalp
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 14097

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »

This is one stupid forum when it comes to moderators. Mini-critics with the power to move threads. You should feel very proud of yourselves.

Why thank you, as a matter of fact, I do  

Thanks for posting the sticky, Dred. I agree that RRs should be focused on the "big adventure", or at least a ride in the country with some interesting pictures. Regionals and GD are good for those "trips to the store"  Thumbsup

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.
XLR8
Does not wear Crocs

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: C14
GPS: Pacific Northwest
Miles Typed: 4075

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 12:10:10 AM »

Day rides should easily qualify as a ride report. There should be no need to cross regions or ride on water.  Headscratch
Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 50

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '09 Honda Transalp
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 14097

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 12:16:41 AM »

True, and if that "day ride" is presented in an interesting and well-written manner (bonus for photos!) then there's no reason it can't be in the RR forum.

I think what Dred is saying is that the poster should take into consideration what his/her audience really expects to see when they open up the RR forum. Personally, I usually don't bother reading a RR unless there are photos included (and yes, I do read the words as well as enjoy the photos). And when someone writes that they "Rode to Town X in the rain" but that's about all they say about it...I quickly lose interest and wonder what the point was. Harsh? Maybe. But I have criteria that I look for to make a report interesting to me and would hope/assume that it's somewhere near the minimum of what others can expect here.

YMMV Shrug
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 12:19:17 AM by DantesDame » Logged

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.
kurtw
Child of the Wind

Reputation 16

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: Tuono, KTMs
GPS: Bend, OR USA
Miles Typed: 1544

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 12:44:14 AM »

All drama aside, I like the 'show-case' idea and the motivation here.

I think that you captured some common sense guidelines for what a ride report is. I also think there were some guidelines offered in a sticky from UFO back on the 1.0 board and that was helpful.

However, the nature of the board is that interesting, popular posts rise to the top as a result of thread activity, and those that are less so fall to less-visible heights. Unless it's the dead of winter and there are simply fewer reports being posted, especially ones meeting any specific criteria.

Here's a suggestion. Create a new (sub)forum, "Featured Ride Reports", which is closed to new posts from members. Moderators can, at their discretion, move reports there to 'feature' them in a more selective showcase. Thinking back to the memorable reports from the last year, it seems that there were many which pretty obviously deserved elevating and preserving at a higher level of visibility for a longer time. STN 1.0 had a front page for this. This would turn moderation around from a negative (your report is unworthy), to a positive (your report is an example of what we want to inspire and encourage).

Kurt's Smugmug
XLR8
Does not wear Crocs

Reputation 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 12:44:49 AM »

I tend to bail if people write too much. A few sentences...picture...A few sentences...picture...yeah.
DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 12:54:28 AM »

All drama aside, I like the 'show-case' idea and the motivation here.

I think that you captured some common sense guidelines for what a ride report is. I also think there were some guidelines offered in a sticky from UFO back on the 1.0 board and that was helpful.

However, the nature of the board is that interesting, popular posts rise to the top as a result of thread activity, and those that are less so fall to less-visible heights. Unless it's the dead of winter and there are simply fewer reports being posted, especially ones meeting any specific criteria.

Here's a suggestion. Create a new (sub)forum, "Featured Ride Reports", which is closed to new posts from members. Moderators can, at their discretion, move reports there to 'feature' them in a more selective showcase. Thinking back to the memorable reports from the last year, it seems that there were many which pretty obviously deserved elevating and preserving at a higher level of visibility for a longer time. STN 1.0 had a front page for this. This would turn moderation around from a negative (your report is unworthy), to a positive (your report is an example of what we want to inspire and encourage).

In a similar vein, I was hoping to get the Front Page restored to some of its former Version One glory, with the Best Of ride reports being the featured content.  Your (the collective You) Ride Reports are the best thing we have going here - it's our... genome... or something.  Meh.  Not feeling profound - up late with a diabetic cat.  But that's my hope.

If that doesn't happen, then your suggestion is a good'n, I think.

Blunder
The 10th Reindeer

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: '01 Bandit 1200S, '13 Volvo/ISX15 Cummins
GPS: The lower 48
Miles Typed: 7577

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 12:57:05 AM »

....a video of someone else almost getting hit by another bike in his lane; it belongs in General Sport-touring Discussion.

I meant to put it in GD. Ooops.  Nuts

When you come to a fork in the road, lick the spoon.
DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 12:58:08 AM »

I meant to put it in GD. Ooops.  Nuts

Razz

kurtw
Child of the Wind

Reputation 16

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: Tuono, KTMs
GPS: Bend, OR USA
Miles Typed: 1544

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 01:00:19 AM »

In a similar vein, I was hoping to get the Front Page restored to some of its former Version One glory, with the Best Of ride reports being the featured content.  Your (the collective You) Ride Reports are the best thing we have going here - it's our... genome... or something.  Meh.  Not feeling profound - up late with a diabetic cat.  But that's my hope.

If that doesn't happen, then your suggestion is a good'n, I think.

Note that having a separate forum probably makes a front page easier as a bonus (e.g. the front page just displays an RSS feed of the featured reports). Maybe that's how it was originally done...I can't remember.

Kurt's Smugmug
DredheadV2.0
Descendant of terrorists

Reputation -94

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 01:02:45 AM »

Note that having a separate forum probably makes a front page easier as a bonus (e.g. the front page just displays an RSS feed of the featured reports). Maybe that's how it was originally done...I can't remember.

Hrm... ISTR the NEWS section on the front page was keyed directly off the News forum.  You're probably right, and yes it would make it easier.

maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys. the Goblin is gone.
GPS: McCandless township PA>
Miles Typed: 5140

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 11:19:48 AM »

OK so some day rides are OK ,its more the content than the length of the ride .

I occasionally attend some STN events    Wink
DavidLSI

Reputation 12

GPS: Northern Illinois
Miles Typed: 4775

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 01:07:06 PM »

This is one stupid forum when it comes to moderators. Mini-critics with the power to move threads. You should feel very proud of yourselves.

I totaly disagree....

There is a good reason for the seperate boards or topics, I for one would not enjoy sifting through every post, if there was only one big list.

These are volunteers with keeping an organized and nice forum going is there only goal.  I have never seen an item moved and thought that it was an abuse of power.

I am completely baffled by Bob's reaction in the first place.  Secondly it was interesting that he siad so long to us the other day and is posting back up today....
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 03:06:56 PM by DavidLSI » Logged

FJR1300

Reputation 33

Motorcycles: 2012 Honda CBR250
GPS: Jefferson City, MO
Miles Typed: 4614

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 04:37:21 PM »

Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 79

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '00 Aprilia Mille, '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton
GPS: Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Miles Typed: 13959

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 01:54:44 AM »

Ride Reports is ST.N's showpiece, pretty much.  If all the other forums constitute the input, RR is the output; the sum which is greater than the parts.  All those bits of information we as a community provide on gear, gadgets, tires, bikes, and routes come together and help a rider have an awesome ride and then they share the experience with the rest of us and make us all envious and stuff and provide inspiration for OUR next ride.

I never thought of it that way, but you are correct.

Trip reports are the final outcome of all the input into this community.

Well said...couldn't have said it better myself Smile

Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: a few!
GPS: Canada & Alps
Miles Typed: 1522

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 10:05:18 AM »

Please feel free to comment...

And the countless photos in a ride report should include a detailed description of it; where it was taken, what am I looking at, etc. even GPS coordinates, if possible.

Where the person stayed for the night, what they thought of the place and how much it ran them would come in handy.

All the best,
Alex
More info on motorcycles, Euro and Alps touring can be found at my Edelweiss SmugMug site.
XLR8
Does not wear Crocs

Reputation 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 10:06:41 AM »

And the countless photos in a ride report should include a detailed description of it; where it was taken, what am I looking at, etc. even GPS coordinates, if possible.

Where the person stayed for the night, what they thought of the place and how much it ran them would come in handy.

Use your imagination
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: a few!
GPS: Canada & Alps
Miles Typed: 1522

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 08:48:41 AM »

Use your imagination.

I guess I won't be wasting my time on your ride reports.  Lol

All the best,
Alex
More info on motorcycles, Euro and Alps touring can be found at my Edelweiss SmugMug site.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal