Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: 990 Adventure v. 1200 GS  (Read 62012 times)

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2009, 10:51:22 pm »

Doug you have a dilemma..........

The decision could be made easy if KTM just brought this in to the US

Just add hard bags.

DK

I'm keeping a lookout for this to be released in the US.   Bigok
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

DkKnight
Time to Ride !!!

Reputation 2

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: '16 BMW K1600GT / '13 Multistrada 1200 GT - Gone ! / '11 Silver (Faster) C14 ABS - Gone!
GPS: Maryland
Miles Typed: 398

My Photo Gallery

Natitude !!

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2009, 06:51:33 am »

Yeah - me too.
It would fit the bill perfectly - upright position, 5 gal tank, Hard bag-ability (hopefully), lighter weight than some current Adv type bikes.
Right now I am looking at Tiger, Multistrada or V-strom - for pretty much street use with maybe the occasional fire road exploring.
Looking at buying new sometime later this year, so hopefully KTM will bring tis bike in.
Good luck with your purchasing decision.

DK

Garry  - "Buy the bike that gives you wood"
Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13727

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2009, 08:30:54 pm »

Can you tell it's cold outside!?  Now it's time for the all-important test rides to work out all the intangibles!  

Updated sheet:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/Misc/nerdtime.jpg

The Uly/Tiger/Multistrada should really score better on bad pavement and maintained dirt roads.  C'mon, you have them rated the same as a VFR and F800ST.  The Uly/Tiger/Multi all have extra suspension length that rougher roads are noticeably better than with a sport-touring bike.  Not only the suspension, but you can stand on the pegs for extra control.  Don't pan those bikes just because they have 17" wheels.  Fire roads aren't a problem.

Also, the Tiger rear Showa may be adequate for you, especially if you are lighter weight yourself.  I don't think it's fair to jack the Tiger's price - might as well figure Ohlins on some of the others, too.  Also you can get more than 203 miles to a tank if you take it easy.  SW-Motech racks and TraX on Tiger would be much better than OEM.  SW-Motech also makes a nice Tiger skid plate if you want extra protection, FYI.
Advertisement

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2009, 09:20:50 pm »

Rincewind, the Tiger is really at the top of the list in my head right now.  And, I do have it rated better than the VFR on maintained dirt roads.  The F800ST is mis-rated by mistake. Regardless of the bike I get, if it has street-only tires on it, I do not plan on taking it off-road intentionally no matter the front wheel size.

Regarding the Ohlins on the Tiger, I put it in there for pricing because I've read I may need it.  I've not read anything about potential suspension upgrades needed for any of the other bikes.  It's more for contingency if I choose to get the upgraded rear suspension.  

Finally, I agree with you on the SW Motec Trax bags.  I like the looks of them. Whether I get them or the factory is yet to be determined.  Of all the luggage options for all the bikes, I pretty much priced the most likely choice for me.  

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/Misc/trax.jpg
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 09:26:22 pm by R Doug » Logged
Fav
Sportbiking Tourer

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 1979 Kz650, 1999 Yzf600r, 2002 R1, 2006 R1
GPS: Upstate NY
Miles Typed: 323

My Photo Gallery

I4 lover

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2009, 09:31:11 pm »

Love that Tiger !  Inlove

Rincewind

Reputation 123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2009, 10:32:12 am »

Rincewind, the Tiger is really at the top of the list in my head right now.  And, I do have it rated better than the VFR on maintained dirt roads.  The F800ST is mis-rated by mistake.

Sorry, I guess I didn't read your chart quite right.  Well you can tell I'm always happy to talk about my Tiger.  I'm still on the stock rear Showa stock, though it will need to be rebuilt/replaced before too much longer from typical wear.  For me, I don't mind at all taking my Tiger off of a paved surface, but too rough and it is a challenge.  I have also dinged my front rim on a nasty pothole, but that could happen with most any bike.

Just last night I was out doing some courier service on the Tiger.  I stopped at a Buell dealer along the way to see the new Buell CR, which I quite liked, and I ended up chatting away with a Uly owner.  He was quite adamant that his Uly with replaced ECU and exhaust could take on a stock Tiger like mine.  He said he's got it pretty smoothed out with a higher redline, too.  Those Uly's have a lot going for them.  

And just to say, I disagree about the Stelvio being an ugly bike, I think it has a lot of utilitarian-charm.  If I was in the market, it would be near the top of my list to check out.
sagerat
Ural Tourist; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Reputation 12

GPS: Central Orygun
Miles Typed: 5684

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2009, 06:13:34 pm »

And just to say, I disagree about the Stelvio being an ugly bike, I think it has a lot of utilitarian-charm.  If I was in the market, it would be near the top of my list to check out.

Based on that remark, may you live long and prosper!  

I test rode a Tiger at the Eugene dealer last summer and had to quickly run away when we finished our 15-mile loop that had a nice combo of tight twisties, sweeper, and generic highway.  That triple is addicting; nice blend of torque, power, and yowza! that had me grinning so hard it hurt.  With the stock hardbags it looked like an excellent sport tourer.  Really comfy ergos for my 6'1" self.   Thumbsup

The poster formerly known as VFRfan

Money can buy motorcycles, which means money can buy happiness
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2009, 10:56:18 pm »

I'm thinking the Stelvio may win me over in person after seeing it.  I know the sound will instantly win me over.  Hands down, Guzzi motors rock!

But, I don't see how I can go wrong w/ a 1050 triple.  Drool  
sagerat

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2009, 12:34:08 am »

Yep, the Stelvio is fairly hideous in most pics I've seen, but when I saw one in person I was amazed.  The front is still ugly in a V-Strom like way, but the rest of the bike is gorgeous.  And even the front grows on you.

But then so does fungus.   Crazy

atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11826

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2009, 11:43:05 am »

I was really surprised how good the Stelvio looked in person.  Killer in black.

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
DkKnight
Time to Ride !!!

Reputation 2

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: '16 BMW K1600GT / '13 Multistrada 1200 GT - Gone ! / '11 Silver (Faster) C14 ABS - Gone!
GPS: Maryland
Miles Typed: 398

My Photo Gallery

Natitude !!

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2009, 05:14:39 pm »

Haven't seen a Stelvio in person yet.
When I was in Atlanta - none of the dealers had gotten one in yet and now that I am home in MD, the one local Guzzi dealer said that he isn't getting one in for the floor - only for those who order one.
No Guzzi at the IMS in DC, so I guess that I will have to wait to see one.
I am going to look at the Tiger again at the show in Balt and hopefully test ride one this spring.
Looking at the Multi and also the V-Strom (I like the way it looks), but the 19" front wheel kinda throws me off.
Hopefully KTM gets the hint and doesn't wait too long to bring in the SMT.

DK

Garry  - "Buy the bike that gives you wood"
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2009, 10:09:36 pm »

I hope to see the new Guzzi this weekend in Cleveland at the bike show.   Bigok
sagerat

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2009, 12:27:42 am »

Take pics for us; and BTW if there are any Cali Vintages on the floor snap a pic of that one, too.  Love the lines of that Guzzi cruiser.  With any luck they'll have the Stelvio TT as well as the regular Stelvio.

FJRski!

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '08 Wee
Miles Typed: 287

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2009, 11:34:59 am »

I cannot bring myself to purchasing a V-Strom.   I'm sorry,...    Lol  

...I love how the 990 Adv. looks just like a Dakar bike!  

Plus, I know I'm getting top shelf suspension with the BMW and KTM.  

Doug - don't be sorry - get the Adventure.

You are so lucky to have a good KTM dealer near you.  Take advantage of it.

I would have bought the Adventure myself, instead of my WEE.  I used your spreadsheet to weight the Wee, and the Wee rates highly.  But numbers don't measure SOUL.  The Wee's fugly, and no one ever gets excited over it when I pull up to a stop.  The Wee is very capable, although it wallows a little when you're carrying a load, specially up near a full pound.  My local dealer wouldn't even consider ordering an Adventure for me on a potential buy without a substantial non-refundable deposit.  That was a deal-breaker in my book.  The Adventure series is very popular in Europe - not that it matters, but it says something to me - and it has a LOOK about it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 11:39:32 am by FJRski! » Logged

I'd rather be riding anywhere with you than sitting at this d@mn keyboard!
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2009, 08:02:27 pm »

I want you to know that I have nothing but R-E-S-P-E-C-T for the Strom.  It's just not for me.  
FJRski!

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '08 Wee
Miles Typed: 287

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2009, 10:57:45 pm »

Love my Wee - it's good for me - Different Strokes For Different Folks.

I'd rather be riding anywhere with you than sitting at this d@mn keyboard!
2006FJR

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE, 2007 Vespa 250GTS
GPS: Irvine, CA
Miles Typed: 426

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2009, 09:55:57 am »

Did the 990 you rode have a surging FI?  I really wanted to love the 990 but the Adventure that I demoed at the bike show had maybe the worst surging FI that I have ever experienced on a constant throttle.  When I mentioned it to the ride leader, he said they all do that.
Ruined the bike for me.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a249/Desmolicious/KTM990.jpg

You and I ride the same bike at the Long Beach show and when I got off I was very disappointed due to the surging. I am sure there are ways to fix it but it left me wodering if we had a bad bike or not or if this is just the way they ship them?  Crazy
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2009, 04:37:31 pm »

Well, I was able to place my rump on most of the bikes on my list.  

Some thoughts after spending some QT w/ these bikes...

Versys:  Great bike, just a little small for what I want to use it for

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/Motorcycle%20Rides/2009/2009%20Bike%20Show/DSCN1213.jpg

KTM:  Still on the list and I'm happy to report I feel very comfortable on it with standard (non-lowered) seat.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/Motorcycle%20Rides/2009/2009%20Bike%20Show/DSCN1203.jpg

1200GS:  Very impressed with this after playing around with it.  Even with the stardared chassis (with seat in lower position), I feel very comfortable on this bike.  Further I never thought I would like BMW's plastic hard bags.  But, after playing around with them, they're SLICK!  They are easy to get on and off and I LOVE the expandable slide feature.  I had no idea you could adjust the size.  Gotta love them Germans.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/Motorcycle%20Rides/2009/2009%20Bike%20Show/DSCN1193.jpg

800GS:  I must test ride this.  I was very impressed with it in person.  It's more simplistic than the 1200GS.  I'm also surpised on how comfortable it feels.  The one thing that stands out as a miss on this is the center stand.  The extended "arms" on the bottom looks like hell with the stand up showing everyone the scratches as it points in the air beside each side of the swingarm.  

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/Motorcycle%20Rides/2009/2009%20Bike%20Show/DSCN1194.jpg

Moto Guzzi:  So, here it is.  I have to admit, it's better looking in person.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/Motorcycle%20Rides/2009/2009%20Bike%20Show/DSCN1196.jpg

Those front lights could have been designed to look more ascetically pleasing, IMHO.  But, I'm sure they'll light the way!  

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/Motorcycle%20Rides/2009/2009%20Bike%20Show/DSCN1197.jpg

How do I look on it!?

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/Motorcycle%20Rides/2009/2009%20Bike%20Show/DSCN1198.jpg

« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 07:52:10 pm by R Doug » Logged
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11826

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2009, 11:42:33 pm »

You and I ride the same bike at the Long Beach show and when I got off I was very disappointed due to the surging. I am sure there are ways to fix it but it left me wodering if we had a bad bike or not or if this is just the way they ship them?  Crazy

The ride leader said they all do that and if I thought it was bad to not try the SuperDuke!  Killed the desire I had for the bike.  Sooo disappointed.  But really really glad I got the opportunity to ride it before having put down my own cash.

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
Rincewind

Reputation 123

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2009, 10:44:45 pm »

Nice to see you made in to a show Doug.  That Stelvio looks huge compared to the other bikes.  Tough group of bikes to decide on just one!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal