Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: 990 Adventure v. 1200 GS  (Read 62011 times)

XLR8
Does not wear Crocs

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: C14
GPS: Pacific Northwest
Miles Typed: 4090

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2009, 08:53:11 pm »

I purchased the VFR knowing I wouldn't have it long (1 year or less).  For the price I'm selling the luggage and the bike, I'll lose $300 + the cost I paid for a tire.  For me, it's like I rented the bike.  I've been very lucky to acquire bikes at the right price, take very good care of them, then sell them for a fair price and not lose a lot.  

Regarding why the VFR isn't a keeper for me, the bottom line is I really prefer the seating position of bikes like the Multi, Uly, 990 Adventure, etc...  I cannot find "all day" comfort on sport-touring and some liter bikes.  I was more comfortable on my Daytona 675 than the VFR because the seat to bars was much better for me.  The VFR, like my older ST3, has too far of a reach for me  Yes, I know I can get Helibars, but I know what I want.   For example, I knew the Super Duke was for me and after two years, it still is.  After riding the 990 Adventure and GS yesterday, I know they are the perfect touring bike for me.  

My goal for the last 18 months has been to sort out which touring bike I want, get it, and keep it for a long time.  I'll always have a Super Duke (or something similar) in the garage to go with a touring bike.  And with a 990 Adv or GS,  I can still explore unpaved roads as I mile much up the tarmac across the US and Canada.   Bigok

If I could have 5 bikes, I would.  But the truth of it is, I can handle 2-3 and that's it.  I'd rather have two really good bikes than a bunch of specialty bikes that are mediocre.  

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I know what you mean. I'll always have an Adventure or something like it. I also like the riding position and the bike handles very well.

Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12029

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2009, 09:00:12 pm »

I should clarify that the VFR is far from mediocre.  It's a great bike.  The V4, luggage capacity, and build quality are great.  I can see why it's a well sought out bike.  
sagerat
Ural Tourist; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Reputation 12

GPS: Central Orygun
Miles Typed: 5684

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2009, 10:58:26 am »

It's intresting that many of us have discovered once you have had an adventure bike, big trailie, whatever you want to call 'em, the stable will always include one.  

And now, RDoug, it's time for you to dip a toe into the sidecar world...   Bigsmile

The poster formerly known as VFRfan

Money can buy motorcycles, which means money can buy happiness
Advertisement

Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13727

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2009, 11:06:08 am »

Nice reviews there, Doug.  I look forward to seeing which way you decide to go.   Bigok

Too bad the Tiger is out of the running, I still think you should test one anyway.  couch
FizDog74

Reputation 1

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: 2014 Pirate Ship
GPS: Ellicott City Maryland
Miles Typed: 978

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2009, 11:06:31 am »

Having ridden both, I agree very much with your review Doug. I would have to say that  I wouldn't really want either as an "only" bike, but I think I would take the BMW for that if I had to. The KTM is hands down my choice for a second bike. I found it much more exhilarating to ride, and it had much better off-road prowess, yet it's surprisingly comfortable.
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2009, 12:13:38 pm »

And now, RDoug, it's time for you to dip a toe into the sidecar world...   Bigsmile

Once you go hack, you never go back?   Lol

Too bad the Tiger is out of the running, I still think you should test one anyway.  couch

I like the Tiger, but a long distance relationship to my dealer kills me.  The BMW GS would be serviced at the same dealer, but I would feel comfortable doing my valve adjustments on the GS.   Thumbsup

Having ridden both, I agree very much with your review Doug. I would have to say that  I wouldn't really want either as an "only" bike, but I think I would take the BMW for that if I had to. The KTM is hands down my choice for a second bike. I found it much more exhilarating to ride, and it had much better off-road prowess, yet it's surprisingly comfortable.

If I had to pick one of the two as my only bike, I too would lean towards the BMW.  And describing the KTM as more exhilarating to ride pretty much nails it.  That's what makes it a win for me.  Though the comfort on the KTM isn't quite as good as the BMW, it still provides more comfort than I need.  
sagerat

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2009, 03:36:54 pm »

I had an '04 GS and did a demo on a KTM 990 Adv.  

In terms of the classic "if only one" dilemma, I sorted it out this way:  if truly 85-95% of my touring is going to be on pavement, I'd take the GS.  The thing is an absolute mileage eater.  If I was going to take the bike off road to any degree, then it's KTM as the chosen mount.

FizDog74

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2009, 03:52:23 pm »

I had an '04 GS and did a demo on a KTM 990 Adv.  

In terms of the classic "if only one" dilemma, I sorted it out this way:  if truly 85-95% of my touring is going to be on pavement, I'd take the GS.  The thing is an absolute mileage eater.  If I was going to take the bike off road to any degree, then it's KTM as the chosen mount.

But you ride a Guzzi, so that instantly disqualifies your opinion as counting for something.  Shrug

Razz Lol
sagerat

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2009, 10:44:39 am »

No, I get double points for impeccable motorcycle connoisseurship.   Razz

FizDog74

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2009, 11:18:34 am »

No, I get double points for impeccable motorcycle connoisseurship.   Razz

Lol

If I ever make it out to Orygun, first one's on me. Beerchug

deminimis

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: KTM 505 XC-F, Beta Rev3 270
Miles Typed: 9

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2010, 11:10:27 am »

Brining this one back from the dead.  I find myself in the same dilemma:  The 1200GSA vs a 990 Adventure (or, perhaps the 950 SE if i could do something about the on-road prowess of the bike).  Any fresh opinions??  Thanks.
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 95

Motorcycles: KTM 1190 Adventure / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 6036

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2010, 11:50:57 am »

Well, the 950 SE (a badass bike IMO) is basically my 950 SMR with 18/21 wheels and a high exhaust. I'm pretty sure that a number of people have added 17" wheels or 17/19 wheels for the street days and use the 18/21 for dirtier adventures. I bet an SE with 17/19 wheels and Tourances would make a fine street bike that is happy enough on dirt roads. Keep TKC80s on the stock wheels for dirt. Biggest issue with my SMR on the street is tank range. I'm good from about 120 miles until the light comes on, then another 25-30 until dry. It hasn't been a problem, but I do have to keep in mind where the gas stops are.

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
2009 KTM 530 EXC
bubba zanetti
2009 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 16 Dr650.

Reputation 69

GPS: Kootenays British Columbia above the US eh ...eh?
Miles Typed: 6819

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2010, 12:03:50 pm »

After about 10,000 miles on my KTM the word I would use to describe the bike is versatile. I have ridden a fair bit of offroad and tons of twisty's this summer since I got it.  It came with TKC rear and a Karoo front and they worked great offroad. I replaced those with a Mefo Super Explorer rear and a Heindenau front.  These tires make the bike much smoother on the pavement and work very well offroad. The suspension - White Power - is great and dialed for touring glides over rough roads and potholes. Clicked in for offroad it handles the roughest road with no complaints and zero bottoming.

I really enjoyed my touring this summer. The Gobi bakes hold tons of gear and the relaxed riding position puts you up high with great visibility and comfort. I get about 180  miles to reserve during spirited riding. The bike is easy to ride fast and the engine is a dream with gobs of torque and shifts smoothly. Twisty roads you just roll on and roll off the throttle. The bike has seen 120 mph via GPS and it is stable.

I had a Triumph Sprint for touring and a KLR for dual sport and this bike is more fun than either of those to ride and much more capable than a KLR offroad.  Yes it is bigger but carries the weight low thanks to the fuel tanks.

Then there is the sound  ... omg ... if I am shifting quickly on a winding road I swear it sounds a bit like the Mustang in Bullitt ...  Lol  I have Wings exhaust and the engine sounds just put a grin on your face.

Can you tell I really, really love this bike?  

I have not riden a GS but I imagine it is even more comfortable on road.  For where I live though, this is the perfect bike.  Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

XLR8
Does not wear Crocs

Reputation 8

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: C14
GPS: Pacific Northwest
Miles Typed: 4090

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2010, 10:32:02 pm »

It's not so much a question of how to make the 990 more road worthy but how to make the 1200 more of a dirt going machine.

couch
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: November 03, 2010, 07:11:57 am »

I find the Adventure to be a very capable bike.  With my Renazco seat, touring comfort is WAY up.  The stock GS seat is much better and the GS is an overall smoother on-road touring bike.  The Adventure is a bit "edgier."  But, right now, I like edgier.  

The Adventure's bars are closer together.  I find that more comfortable for my shorter span (5' 8").

Here are some shots stolen from another website showing the versatility of this bike.

bubba zanetti
2009 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 16 Dr650.

Reputation 69

GPS: Kootenays British Columbia above the US eh ...eh?
Miles Typed: 6819

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2010, 09:56:14 am »

I find the Adventure to be a very capable bike.  

Great pic.  I dragged my Gobi bag this summer as well.  That is not an easy thing to do but gives some idea of the cornering ability of the Adventure.  What tires are those in the dirt pic?  They look like the new Conti Trail Attacks??
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2010, 10:11:15 am »

Great pic.  I dragged my Gobi bag this summer as well.  That is not an easy thing to do but gives some idea of the cornering ability of the Adventure.  What tires are those in the dirt pic?  They look like the new Conti Trail Attacks??

Both images are from the same guy who was writing about the versatility of the stock Scorps.  It's just difficult to pick up on the Scrop's tread pattern in the hill climb because the tire is spinning.  

Like you, I too have dragged my Gobis in a corner and I really felt like the bike was well over at that point.  I had the Conti Trail Attacks on at the time and WOW do those tires work well for this bike on the paved bits!   Inlove
deminimis

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2010, 05:01:02 pm »

Thanks guys.  Sent the $ off for a 950 Super Enduro.  Let the modifications begin.
R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 162

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2010, 07:31:00 pm »

Thanks guys.  Sent the $ off for a 950 Super Enduro.  Let the modifications begin.

What made you decide on the Super Enduro over the Adventure?
deminimis

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2010, 07:56:27 pm »

What made you decide on the Super Enduro over the Adventure?

Cost and off-road prowess.  The cost difference is substantial between a SE and a 990R.  To make the 990R more SE-like would have been pricey and difficult.  To make the SE more ADV-like will be easier and cheaper in the end.  I also didn't want to constantly worry about damaging expensive plastic bits found on the ADV when off-road (let's face it, I crash..alot (if you're not crashing, you're not trying hard enough)).  I'm sacrificing the ADV's/GS's on-road comforts, but a GS really can't do what I'll likely ask of it (an ADV could, in large part, however).  So in the end, I'm going to have a Super Enduro and I'll make it more GS/ADV-like with some upgrades like tank, a 690 windscreen, seat mod, and subframe mod so I can carry some gear.  I was dead set on going with alumn panniers because of the carry capacity and the aesthetic, but now I've decided to go with the Giant Loop system (at 50L it can't carry as much as a pair of 33L panniers, but it can take off-road mishaps much better).  The bike I bought has Akras on it, so not having to shell out for that mod at least.  When all said and done, I ought to have a bike I can ride to San Diego from Oregon, swap tires, and tour the back country of Baja (of course, having a spare tire strapped to the bike as these things have a healthy appetite for rear tires).

As far as not getting a GS, besides the obvious, after my last BMW (my 3rd), I said never again.  I freak'n love orange!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 08:04:26 pm by deminimis » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal