Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 72   Go Down
Print

Topic: The Official S-T.N Photography (methods) Thread  (Read 166578 times)

R Doug
Rain is my first name.

Reputation 158

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '13 R1200GS
GPS: Clemmons, NC
Miles Typed: 12003

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2007, 02:11:02 PM »

There are some very good tips so far, I'm taking notes.   Thumbsup

My only thoughts are as follows:

When taking a shot of people, always fill the frame.  It's boring when you get too much of the surrounding environment.  See how tight the faming is on this?  IMO, it could have been tighter.   Lol Inlove

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/2007%20Bike%20Show/DSC_0137.jpg

Also, to make shots more interesting, try to add depth to the frame by including something in foreground.  For example, I loved the look of this old Esso pump, but I thought the shot would be more interesting by adding a bit of my tank (two classics)...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/MD%20WV%20Twisty%20Sampler/6smDSCN0115.jpg

This particularly holds true when taking landscape shots.  Always try to frame up something in the foreground like...

... using the stone wall and side trees in this one:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/STN%202006%20National%20Meet/DSCN0827.jpg

... or a simple subject like my bicycle and helmet in this one:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c132/doog71/Maui/DSC_0043.jpg
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 02:12:40 PM by R Doug » Logged
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

CBRXXBLACKBIRD

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2013 Triumph Explorer & 2007 Speed Triple
GPS: 42.61N -87.86W (Elev. 672 ft)
Miles Typed: 3579

My Photo Gallery

Stealth Wing rider

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2007, 12:21:33 PM »

Heres some photos I took last fall at my place up north.  Now I need to learn to photoshop my pics so they look better. Until I get a camera with steady shot I will make sure I take my tripod everywhere now if I can.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/Photonut1/06df69be.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/Photonut1/barn1.jpg

Joe.

"I must finally be hitting my 2nd gear shift right, the *&$@! oil light keeps coming on..."
torags v2

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '04 BMW R1150RS, '07 XR883
GPS: San Francisco
Miles Typed: 945

My Photo Gallery

IBA #17225

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2007, 12:25:59 PM »

Try Picassa 2, its free and simple. It has a "get lucky" feature that adjusts color & contrast. But its not perfect, then you can undo.

Its rare that in camera processing produces keepers, most all need some work.

Photoshop is complicated.

Rags
Advertisement

Jeff
Used to be redsuperhawk

Reputation 35

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: Only a Schwinn but not leaving STN
GPS: Starved Rock is my backyard.
Miles Typed: 3960

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2007, 10:10:59 PM »

Photoshop is complicated.

And expensive - but it's the best.
CBRXXBLACKBIRD

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Stealth Wing rider

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2007, 09:40:34 AM »

I use elements 3.0  it seems okay yes alot of reading to find out how to use it.

Joe.

"I must finally be hitting my 2nd gear shift right, the *&$@! oil light keeps coming on..."
Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '02 Triumph Trophy
Miles Typed: 2239

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2007, 10:08:13 AM »

Heres some photos I took last fall at my place up north.  Now I need to learn to photoshop my pics so they look better. Until I get a camera with steady shot I will make sure I take my tripod everywhere now if I can.

Image stabilization isnt the be-all end-all that many think. Countless great images were taken long before it ever happened on the scene.

I only have one lens in my inventory that has it and I have never found myself wishing I had it on any of the others. Its not that I havent goten any use out of it, its just that I learned how to shoot well before the advent of that technology. Learning more about exposure, how to truly control the camera and having that tripod will do far more good.

Ya just whomp dat sucka right up da ol' schmegeggie.
torags v2

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

IBA #17225

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2007, 10:49:11 AM »

It is robust.

But there are Nikon owners who complain it doesn't translate some RAW files well. which might be an attempt by Nikon to sell its Capture software. Reminiscent of Apple vs Microsoft

Rags
Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2007, 10:58:02 AM »

It is robust.
But there are Nikon owners who complain it doesn't translate some RAW files well. which might be an attempt by Nikon to sell its Capture software. Reminiscent of Apple vs Microsoft

The software that comes with Nikon DSLRs' (Nikonview) is fine for basic work and conversions from NEF (Their RAW format). Canon's software (Digital Photo Professional) while mind-numbingly slow does just as well. They are both far superior for RAW conversions than Photoshop. Why? I dont know. Dont really care either. I do the requisite work needed in DPP, then transfer to Photoshop in TIF (The only way you can with Canon's software), and go to town if necessary, eventually saving it as a PSD.

torags v2

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

IBA #17225

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2007, 11:28:04 AM »

Jeeze, I wish I knew what you were talking about. I haven't started to learn about the processing software (even tho, I've had Elements since V2- my copy is in Greek).

Rags
Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2007, 11:30:41 AM »

Jeeze, I wish I knew what you were talking about. I haven't started to learn about the processing software (even tho, I've had Elements since V2- my copy is in Greek).

What, to be specific? I'll be happy to clear any of it up for ya.

torags v2

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

IBA #17225

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2007, 11:43:28 AM »

Thanks... I appreciate the response..

Fact of the matter is, I'm not ready to learn about it yet. Picassa 2 is easy and since I'm taking hundreds of shots with a low keeper rate, I'm still learning the skill.

I'm more concerned about capturing fast vehicles in low light in the upcoming Baja 500 or surfers in the upcoming surf contest at Maverick.

I got a 85 1.8 for Baja and a Tamron 200-500 for Maverick. I got the toys now I have to execute.

That said, I look forward to using layers for artistic treatments.

Again, thanks.

Rags
Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2007, 11:57:19 AM »

Thanks... I appreciate the response..

Fact of the matter is, I'm not ready to learn about it yet. Picassa 2 is easy and since I'm taking hundreds of shots with a low keeper rate, I'm still learning the skill.

I'm more concerned about capturing fast vehicles in low light in the upcoming Baja 500 or surfers in the upcoming surf contest at Maverick.

I got a 85 1.8 for Baja and a Tamron 200-500 for Maverick. I got the toys now I have to execute.

That said, I look forward to using layers for artistic treatments.

Again, thanks.

Its an open offer. What are you shooting with, by the way? I have a Canon 85mm 1.8 thats is a fantastic portrait lens.

torags v2

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

IBA #17225

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2007, 12:28:11 PM »

I have a Nikon D70s. I'm real interested in motor sports and landscapes (that tie in with moto days)

I'm developing a methodology for positioning my self for good captures. Now image quality is the next challenge.

BTW. I'm really liking the "blink" shots in the site header. Interesting aspect ratio, nice choices and the changes always draw my eyes when logging on.

Kudos to who ever is responsible, it creates an additional level of interest for me.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 12:33:30 PM by torags v2 » Logged

Rags
Jeff
Used to be redsuperhawk

Reputation 35

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: Only a Schwinn but not leaving STN
GPS: Starved Rock is my backyard.
Miles Typed: 3960

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2007, 02:05:07 PM »

Take your setup and photograph random vehicles driving down the road. Practice with something where you don't care about results. Don't wait till Baja to learn and end up with crap results.

Jeff
Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2007, 02:50:27 PM »

Take your setup and photograph random vehicles driving down the road. Practice with something where you don't care about results. Don't wait till Baja to learn and end up with crap results.

Jeff

Clap Well said!

Remember- You're not shooting film. Shoot shoot shoot. You will easily recognize the proper way(s) to get the desired results.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 03:18:36 PM by Thunder7 » Logged

torags v2

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

IBA #17225

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2007, 03:09:25 PM »

Jeff

I've had 3 Bajas to practice.

In '05 I was on a night pit crew for the BMW factory bikes. Our pit was at the end of a 2K paved section at the apex of a hard left up a dirt rise... What a photo disaster. I had a kit lens 18/55 3.5-5.6. No action shots for me there.

Next one I wanted to be close to the action. I camped on the course at a 15' opening ranch fence in Ojas Negros where racers would have to make a hard left on the dirt road running along the fence. Most made it. I however, couldn't get any decent shots because of ground level dust kicked up by trophy trucks. When you can't see subjects 10' in front of you it creates a photographic challenge.

That said, photography was only part of the reason I was there, so no great loss. It gives me an excuse to go back and try again.

But the advice by both of you is good and I think others should benefit from also.

Rags
CBRXXBLACKBIRD

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Stealth Wing rider

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2007, 08:20:55 PM »

Image stabilization isnt the be-all end-all that many think. Countless great images were taken long before it ever happened on the scene.

I only have one lens in my inventory that has it and I have never found myself wishing I had it on any of the others. Its not that I havent goten any use out of it, its just that I learned how to shoot well before the advent of that technology. Learning more about exposure, how to truly control the camera and having that tripod will do far more good.

I just thought it would help me taking shots early morning or at dusk the low light shots.

Joe.

Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2007, 11:15:50 PM »

I just thought it would help me taking shots early morning or at dusk the low light shots.

It does to a point, but for longer exposures it can also set up a vibration that will become evident even when a tripod is used. I discovered this oone night while shooting with my 28-135 IS zoom. Something didnt look quite right so I turned off the IS and that took care of the problem. I later read that in that type of situation, the IS can be a detriment to a long exposure due to vibration.

CBRXXBLACKBIRD

Reputation 9

My Photo Gallery

Stealth Wing rider

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2007, 11:52:39 AM »

Methods for dark or late night photos of city lights. I was in St. Louis over the weekend and the city during the night and the oil refinery lights looked really cool but I couldn't get any pics to turn out. Is it my camera its a simple point and shoot Sony P73 or me just not having it on the proper settings. I tried the night mode that didnt work.

Joe.

Thunder7
Whompamagoose

Reputation 10

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2007, 12:00:27 PM »

Methods for dark or late night photos of city lights. I was in St. Louis over the weekend and the city during the night and the oil refinery lights looked really cool but I couldn't get any pics to turn out. Is it my camera its a simple point and shoot Sony P73 or me just not having it on the proper settings. I tried the night mode that didnt work.

Lets see a few examples.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 72   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal