Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
Print

Topic: 2009 SPRING BREAK OUT RUN.... video clips now added  (Read 34942 times)

VintageAmor

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: 1981 Yamaha XS850; 1980 Honda CB650 Sidecar
GPS: changes at any given moment, but usually somewhere in central Wisconsin for now
Miles Typed: 453

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: April 21, 2009, 10:15:45 pm »

David,

I just wanted to add that I, for another, am also truly glad you made it home in one piece.   Smile

Debbie

"If you tell the truth, you never have to remember anything." ~ Mark Twain
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Oddball

Reputation 34

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '12 Tiger 800 XC, '06 FZ1, '99 R1100RT-P
GPS: Stillman Valley, IL
Miles Typed: 1335

My Photo Gallery

Cats out of the bag just south of cheese.

Ignore
« Reply #221 on: April 22, 2009, 11:07:08 am »

David I am sorry that this happened to you, but very glad that you were able to walk away with minimal injuries.  Let us know if you need us to help with anything till you are 100% back on the road.

IBA# 22015
RedCBRRider
Mr. Fabulous

Reputation 15

GPS: Pewaukee, WI
Miles Typed: 2761

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: April 22, 2009, 11:38:05 am »

Any more news about the bike?   Can it be repaired, or will you be shopping for a bike and helmet?  Are you going to be at the TWISTAR event?

2014 BMW R1200GS
Advertisement

DavidLSI

Reputation 12

GPS: Northern Illinois
Miles Typed: 4783

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #223 on: April 22, 2009, 12:46:32 pm »

Any more news about the bike?   Can it be repaired, or will you be shopping for a bike and helmet?  Are you going to be at the TWISTAR event?

The bike news will be known by weeks end..... that is th only thing I am ready to state.

mxvet57
Let's find some twisty's

Reputation -56

Years Contributed: '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 04 FJR1300 06 SPEED TRIPLE 88 EX500 05 YZ250 01 YZ 250 91 KX 500
GPS: Mt. prospect ill.
Miles Typed: 15847

My Photo Gallery

Loud horns save lives

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: April 22, 2009, 01:29:03 pm »

Any more news about the bike?   Can it be repaired, or will you be shopping for a bike and helmet?  

i think the bigger issue is the wife.

It's not the fall that will kill you it's that sudden stop

04 FJR 1300 1/4 million mile club and then some.
DavidLSI

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: April 22, 2009, 01:35:12 pm »

i think the bigger issue is the wife.

Issues are many, I have now had three accidents, which include two get offs.  The biggest issue is in my head and how do I really feel about my future.

Seeker
Farkle Hoe

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: 06 ST1300A
Miles Typed: 295

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: April 22, 2009, 01:35:34 pm »

David,

Enjoyed the trip with you guys.
Hope your swelled elbow is starting to go down.
Thanks for loaning me your rain coat. Denny should be returning it to you.
Looking forward to future rides.

Martin,
 You need to post up what that Harley guy asked/responded with at the gas station...  Best line of the week!

Denny
FarkleMania.com
becman58

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 80hd wide glide 80hd flt `05suzuki v-strom 1000
GPS: se wis
Miles Typed: 22

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: April 22, 2009, 02:16:30 pm »

hi dave, i`m hoping you are feeling better. i had an accident along time ago,'78', side swiped a truck on my way home from work. he pulled out in front of me, and i couldnt slow down enough, so i tried to get to the back end of the truck. anyways, i ended up losing my left leg mid calf down. after i recovered and could walk again,wooden leg,  a friend  offered me his cb750 honda. i was soo paranoid at first, i thought every one was out to get me.but i loved the ride so much i ended up buying a new bike with my settlement money.  take your time, weigh the pros versus the cons, you`ll make the right decision. jeff
motocbiker

Reputation -1

Miles Typed: 242

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: April 22, 2009, 04:06:42 pm »

Hi Dave,

I hope you'll keep riding too! There's very little recreation in this world that does it like motorcycling. I pet my dogs, the cat, and play with the baby's momma but 9000 rpm on an FJR passing two cars and knowing you've got reserve to spare is a religious experience.

Hang in there buddy. I'm sure your strategy to riding will change as a result of this event.

Have been just seconds behind you I know you did everything right, which was to stand up the bike and slow down approaching a very technical corner. Basically you lost traction on the front wheel when you tried to turn in against braking momentum. Happens to us all. Happened to me in Europe and I went through a corn field and emerged right side up and back on the asphalt with shuck in my helmet, fairings and everything else.

Your guardian angel is watching. I doubt she'll fly away.

Chuck
DavidLSI

Reputation 12

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: April 22, 2009, 08:02:49 pm »

I posted the story up on Facebook and my Dad posted a comment that I thought belonged here too...

Bob Narens at 1:20pm April 21
"Hitting the Road to Arkansas...."your words turned out to be very accurate, unfortunately.

As your Dad, I want to thank the men you traveled with and took the time to provide the care you needed. It reminded me of our camping trips in are Starcraft camper when you were a kid. No matter what the problem was, they were there to help us.

Your Mom and I are very thankful that your travel buddies were there.

Thanks for all the thoughts.

SeeYa
DavidLSI

RedCBRRider
Mr. Fabulous

Reputation 15

GPS: Pewaukee, WI
Miles Typed: 2761

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: April 22, 2009, 08:21:58 pm »

Dave, I think I can speak for all of ST.N that knows you.  Let us know how we may help you work through this.  I/We want you to keep riding with us.  It won't be same without you.  You can do it.  You just need to back up a step or two and ride your ride.  We will be waiting at the the next turn.  Just like always.  Wanna take my ZX-14 for a spin?

2014 BMW R1200GS
Lefty

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Triumph Sprint ST
Miles Typed: 8

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: April 22, 2009, 08:37:04 pm »

Denny,

Okay, Here's how it went.  
Denny and I pulled into a gas station to make a final pit stop about an hour away from home.
While I was outside waiting for Denny, I struck up a converstation with a couple of Harley riders,
part of a bunch that were meeting up at the station.

Asked him where was riding to and he reluctantly mumbled a response (as expected when talking to
a non-Harley guy). I then suggested he check out the roads in Arkansas as they are great a I was just
returning home from a trip.
His partner than asked me how many days it took me to get back.  
I responded that we left Arkansas this morning.
Then he and his partners eyes got real big and they walked away without saying another word.

blackbird54

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: cbr1100xx & st1100
Miles Typed: 57

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: April 22, 2009, 10:09:32 pm »

Davd is a friend of mine. No one I have ridden with has improved there skills more in the last year than David!
David, focus on the ride and enjoy. I look forward to seeing you out again and again.
Thank you for your support.

Later
Bill
mxvet57
Let's find some twisty's

Reputation -56

Motorcycles: 04 FJR1300 06 SPEED TRIPLE 88 EX500 05 YZ250 01 YZ 250 91 KX 500
GPS: Mt. prospect ill.
Miles Typed: 15847

My Photo Gallery

Loud horns save lives

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: April 22, 2009, 11:19:10 pm »

Dave,
 i can relate to what your going through rite now. 2 years ago i had a bad crash on the dirt bike when i was going off a jump and the throttle stuck. the bike and i went sailing straight in the air at some point i figured i wasn't going to save it and let go of the bike. i figured i was 20+ feet in the air. when i hit the ground i couldn't catch my breath for around 20 secends and it did scare the shit out of me. amazingly i walked away from that one.

I to had thoughts of never riding the dirt bike again. it did sit for around 2 months b/4 i got tired of looking at it and got back in the saddle.

so yes i can relate to what your going through and only you can make the decision of what you want to do. and what ever you decide to do we all will be on your side.

It's not the fall that will kill you it's that sudden stop

04 FJR 1300 1/4 million mile club and then some.
kawrider67

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 02 concours
GPS: Chicago
Miles Typed: 33

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: April 24, 2009, 12:30:35 am »

David! Sweet you are still with us, sounds like you wer with a great bunch of riders. See you soon on the open road. now I go back to lurk mode   Hail
Cheddarhead
Today, we wonder of yesterday...and worry about tomorrow...

Reputation 22

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: '68 CL 350, '81 CB 750 Custom, '03 ST1300, '03 BMW F650 GS
Miles Typed: 3228

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: April 26, 2009, 02:42:03 pm »

Issues are many, I have now had three accidents, which include two get offs.  The biggest issue is in my head and how do I really feel about my future.

David:

Just learned of your unfortunate get-off this morning...Ben, Tina, Kris, and Ron told me 'bout it while we had breakfast.  I'm glad to hear that you're alive and recovering physically...

I'm also proud to call Denny, Scott, and the rest of your riding crew "friends" as well, for the wya they took care of you and your gear when you were in need.  Applause applause!!!! Clap Clap

As others have said...the 'cycle can be repaired or replaced.

"When" you are ready, we're all looking forward to having you back on the roads with us.  Don't fell compelled to rush back...your body and your head will tell you if and when the time is right.  Don't rush it, though...concussions are a real b!t@h to overcome after age 25.

Cheddar
OMOC

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '06 Concours
GPS: Milwaukee, WI
Miles Typed: 335

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: April 26, 2009, 08:41:28 pm »

David,

Like Cheddar, I learned of your get-off just this morning.  I'm glad you're OK and hope you will be back riding again soon.

I can relate to your comment, "The biggest issue is in my head..".  I've had two get-offs, about 15 months apart.  I wasn't badly hurt in either case, thanks to my gear (I'll be the poster boy for ATGATT any day!).  The second one was on a trip down South to ride The Dragon.  I stuffed the bike into a ditch.  A couple days later, I rode the bike home.  But the incident scared me.  The unfortunate part was having to wait a long time for the bike to be fixed.  It gave me too much time to think.  I wasn't able to "get back on the horse" right away.  I envy people that have more than one ride.

Long story short, it's been about 1-1/2 years since I've ridden.  A medical issue, since resolved, is responsible for most of that time.  But being away from riding has cost me.  I've only attended a couple coffee meets in that time, when weather would allow me to cage it, because I didn't feel right not riding to the meet.  It was an "issue in my head" and it took a while to get past it.  But now, I'm really getting my head back "into the game" and looking forward to riding again.  Of course, the bike needs some work - it's not running - and I'll be starting over again (read that as I'll need lots of practice).  But I finally realized that I want and need to ride.  For so many reasons.  I hope you find that to be the case, too.

I look forward to re-introducing myself to you at a coffee meet in the near future.

Take Care, Dave.                  Bill   (OMOC)
bomber

Reputation 30

GPS: Sea of Joy
Miles Typed: 17355

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: April 27, 2009, 11:06:25 am »

David -- I've enjoyed your company for a number of rodes,, now -- I'd be happy to enjoy it again, whether or not motorcycles are involved.

You'll figure out what you wish to do, I'm sure, and it'll be right for you and your family . . . .

heal fast, bud!

Beautiful day, happy to be here
-- Jane Catherine Lotter
"Bomber is correct" -- Carbonero
FZ1 Matt
Scott's Group

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: yes
GPS: Cheese
Miles Typed: 1793

My Photo Gallery

KLR goes sputter sputter gurgle gurgle

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: April 27, 2009, 01:56:47 pm »

Just a comment here about what Chuck saw while riding behind you. I was not there, I'm not an expert, I am not rippin on you, the event is over, and I am a friend.
In my experience, every time I fall down or crash, I was not doing something (or many things) right. Motorcycles want to stay up, inputs the rider gives to the motorcycle are what sends it's handling astray.
Standing it up and braking is fine as long as you try to be done with that before turn in. If you're braking hard because you spooked yourself you certainly should be letting up on most of that brake pressure before turn in. Front tires only have so much traction. The act of braking hard and leaning cash in most of your traction chips quicker than many people realize. Throw in the possibility of gravel and a possible bump and you're screwed since the suspension is busy dealing with the weight transfer to the front. There is far less fork travel to deal with that stuff mid corner.
This is not to say you shouldn't or can't brake while leaned. People do it on the race track all the time. Especially the front brake. I don't do this much though and is one of the many, many reasons I'm not real fast out there.

Another thing to remember is that most of the time you're better off looking where you want to end up while pushing on the bar that is closest to the inside of the turn and applying more throttle until your scary moment is behind you. Commit to your corner. If you blew your turn in point because you were busy braking hard this is even more important! Get more of the weight transfered to the rear wheel so that the front can take care of getting you turned.  You'll feel like a hero when it's over.

Keep riding David but certainly weigh the risks for yourself.  You bring a unique energy to any ride you attend. You document things well and always post up fun videos! Immerse yourself in rider education. Take the experienced rider course. Take the Lee Park's ARC course. Consider trying Sportrider 101 through Private Track Time. (http://www.privatetracktime.com/sportriding.aspx  )  Practice in a parking lot even. Ask other riders that you trust  riding technique questions and listen to what they have to say. Let me know if I can help.

bomber

Reputation 30

GPS: Sea of Joy
Miles Typed: 17355

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: April 27, 2009, 02:39:22 pm »

You bring a unique energy to any ride you attend. You document things well and always post up fun videos! Immerse yourself in rider education. Take the experienced rider course. Take the Lee Park's ARC course. Consider trying Sportrider 101 through Private Track Time. (http://www.privatetracktime.com/sportriding.aspx  )  Practice in a parking lot even. Ask other riders that you trust  riding technique questions and listen to what they have to say. Let me know if I can help.

No one could put it better! Well said . . . . . .

Beautiful day, happy to be here
-- Jane Catherine Lotter
"Bomber is correct" -- Carbonero
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal