Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: question about camping.  (Read 15384 times)

bpg

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '02 Honda CBR1100XX '08 Yamaha WR250R (sold :( ) '78 Honda XL250S
GPS: Born/raised/sometimes summer in Clarion, PA; work in Charlotte NC
Miles Typed: 674

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2007, 07:49:52 AM »

Check out this site - makes it VERY easy to print out your own customizable gear checklists.  It will only print out a checklist for the stuff that you specify - and you can add 2 checkboxes per items, add blank lines and/or additional items, etc. - awesome for us high IQ-yet-no-short-term-memory types! Twofinger

http://www.micapeak.com/info/mclist.html

MC camping is da bomb!  One of my favorite trips was an 8-day jaunt a few years ago on my ol' trusty Magna.  On the first night I made it a little further than expected into South Carolina (by riding well past midnight in the rain Headscratch), but I couldn't find any campgrounds in the area...  Soooo, I just started taking isolated backroads, then dirt roads, then eventually an old logging road carved into the side of a mountain, which I rode/duckwalked in about a half mile until I found a level spot:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/magna01/Tour%20de%20Appalachia/campingsouthcarolina.jpg

Got absolutely hammered by thunderstorms that night, but stayed dry inside the tent.   Funny how smug, giddy, and content you can feel inside a warm dry tent when the weather just outside is miserable!

A few days later on the way back home, decided to check out a campground in Kentucky that I spotted on the map.  Another excursion WAY deep into the hills, couldn't wait to get there and chat with some folks!  Ended up the place was abandoned (i.e. weeds growing up through the concrete at the entrance building, rusted out fire-rings, small saplings growing in the sites, etc.!  Still had a good (albeit kinda creepy!) time!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/magna01/Tour%20de%20Appalachia/viewfromtent-creepyKYcampground.jpg      
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 10:13:08 AM by bpg » Logged

- Brendan

Will travel for twisties...  What is this mysterious "service shop" you speak of?!?
R.Markus

« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2007, 01:48:53 AM »

Lmao Yea right, you got kicked out also. In fact you were the main reason except for those routy Canadiens.  Rolleyes Bigsmile

My mouth does get me into trouble on occasion.
lionlady
What is this "reading compression" of which you speak?

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: Rockster Limited Edition
GPS: Reisterstown, MD
Miles Typed: 355

My Photo Gallery

BMW R1150R Rockster Ed 80 #196

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2007, 04:38:45 PM »

It doesn't look like anyone mentioned how important it is to pack your tent separate from your clothes and sleeping bag.

Check out www.helen2wheels.com I've got a cord close sack that holds my entire tent (either a 2 person or 3 person), poles, ground cloth and Noah's Tarp 12 plus poles. You leave the stuff sack that came with the tent, etc at home and put everything in a cordclose sack. This way your tent is all together. You can also pack the tent if its wet without getting water, mud, crap on your sleeping bag, or clothes. Saves space too.

Use another H2W bag for sleeping bag and pad and a spare sweatshirt, etc.

+1 on the JetBoil system for morning coffee or instant oatmeal on site. Don't bother with the french press that is available. It is made of flexible plastic and will twist as you press it down...

P

Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity.
sagerat
Ural Tourist; BMW R1200GS Adventure

Reputation 10

GPS: Central Orygun
Miles Typed: 5611

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2007, 04:56:23 PM »

Probably the best thing about motel camping:  The Weather Channel.   Thumbsup

Still, I've really enjoyed motocamping off of the Ural.  I've also used a bivvy sack when rally camping from the GS which kept me dry as a bone during several t-storms in NM.

The poster formerly known as VFRfan

Money can buy motorcycles, which means money can buy happiness
R.Markus

« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2007, 12:49:54 AM »

It doesn't look like anyone mentioned how important it is to pack your tent separate from your clothes and sleeping bag.

I didn't read a lot of this thread, but this is pretty important. Put the tent in easy access location that does not require you to open anything else to get to it. When you need to set it up in a storm it is nice to have the tent up without having to expose your dry gear to the weather. Thumbsup
st2sam

Reputation 120

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: '93 Ducati 907ie '09 Kawasaki C14 abs
GPS: N.E. PA. aboard a flying workhorse!
Miles Typed: 1505

My Photo Gallery

Certified sport-TOURING wacko.......

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2007, 06:07:16 AM »

I have one question.
Which type of matress is better, foam, self inflating, or air-pump?  Headscratch

Change is good, but only for a while..
Kawasaki makes the best "sport-TOURING" motorcycle, until I buy something else.......
RickC1957
Your friendly Crazy Canuk

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: 2005 Ducati ST3, 2005 Ducati 620 Monster
GPS: Barrington, Illinois
Miles Typed: 1479

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2007, 07:11:47 AM »

I have one question.
Which type of matress is better, foam, self inflating, or air-pump?  Headscratch

I found the ones in hotels very comfortable, I like Holiday Express rooms with the jacuzzi, beats camping all to hell, especially after riding 700 miles, and it's raining enough to build an ark  Lol

Let's waste time chasing cars.
goodhawk

Reputation 10

Miles Typed: 539

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2007, 09:18:31 AM »

ST - mattress - as mentioned, hotel mattress ( assuming decent hotel !)
cycle camping gear is somewhat similar to backpacking - not as much emphasis on weight, but still, small is better. All depends - I use a 2" thick 3 /4 length air mattress plus an underlayer of 1 /2" thick semi stiff foam 24" square, both to protect the air matt. and extra pad. Some people get by with the ultra compact 3 /4" thick backpacking air matt., that's too much , err, little, for me.
Albie
Exceptionally Talented Squid

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: Busa, Wee Strom, KTM 690 and 450 EXC, KXF 450F
GPS: The Ozarks
Miles Typed: 1207

My Photo Gallery

Acckkkk

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2007, 09:23:16 AM »

I have one question.

Steer away from plain air mattresses. They offer no insulation. When temps drop down they will actually rob your body of heat. Go with foam or the insulated self inflating ones like Thermarest.
bikerfish1100
Can't reMember

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: 2001 R1100S, 2009 F800GS, some BMW project stuff
GPS: Northern Front Range, CO
Miles Typed: 1720

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2007, 11:10:38 AM »

I didn't read a lot of this thread, but this is pretty important. Put the tent in easy access location that does not require you to open anything else to get to it. When you need to set it up in a storm it is nice to have the tent up without having to expose your dry gear to the weather. Thumbsup

i've gotten to the stage where if i have to open anything up in a storm to go to sleep- i'm opening my wallet, pulling out the credit card, and asking for a room with easy ground access to the bike.
however- i always pack any rain gear in a way that allows easy access without exposing dry stuff to the elements.
Phanatik

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Ninja 500R
GPS: Hills of Southern Indiana
Miles Typed: 8

My Photo Gallery

To infinity and beyond!

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2007, 12:50:48 PM »

I'm switching hobbies: from backpacking to motorcycling.  I have been away from motorcycles for 29 years. I intend to do some camping from the bike, also.
Sounds like some of you have gotten very soft, heading for the first motel when the going gets a little tough. (I may turn out to be a softy too, though Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal