Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: Triumph Reliability  (Read 5582 times)

dsmith41
I ride a cruiser and I know how to ride it.

Reputation -1

Motorcycles: '04 Honda Shadow Aero
GPS: Kansas City, MO
Miles Typed: 76

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: May 24, 2009, 01:42:47 AM »

I am in the market for a new or slightly used Triumph and I am just wondering how these bike stack up to the Japanese bikes as far as reliability goes.  I am looking at getting a Bonneville specifically and my biggest concern is the air cooled engine.  I'm afraid that commuting around town in the summer heat will take a toll on the engine and I don't want to spend money on a bike if I can't get an easy 75,000 miles out of it...at least.   I am confident most Japanese bike could last the long but none of them look as cool as the Bonnie.  They just ooze style.   Cool

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/dsmith41/StatesVisitedMap.jpg

My map has a lot of white but I'm working on it!
garry
Bleeds Orange...

Reputation 88

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: KTM 950 SMR / KTM 530 EXC
GPS: Southwestern PA
Miles Typed: 5706

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 09:23:49 AM »

My experience with Triumph triples is that reliability is very good. I put 43K on a Sprint over 3 years and it was stone axe reliable. I was a RAT Pack leader for several years and don't recall any issues with the twins, but there are some good Triumph forums out there with lots more model-specific info.

2007 KTM 950 SMR
2009 KTM 530 EXC
http://www.motoroads.net
GerryPetrecca

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: 2009 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
GPS: Guilford, CT
Miles Typed: 542

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 10:11:26 AM »

Greetings,

You best bet would be to log in into or join triumphrat.net and access the "twins" section.

Currently I have a 2001 Sprint ST (triple) and have had no mechanical or reliability issues.

Prior to getting the Sprint in 2007 I had an '03 Kawi ZR-7S (air cooled) and it would get hot in bumper to bumper commuter traffic but I never had any mechanical issues because of it.  I also used it to run lots of errands around town in the summer and never had a problem.

Regards,

Gerry

Gerry Petrecca
Guilford, Connecticut
2009 Triumph Sprint ST ABS (Black)  If you're a guy and what you love has tits or tires it's gonna cost you $$$$$!
gundog

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: 12 Bonneville T100 / 99 Trophy 1200
GPS: Oregon
Miles Typed: 105

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 04:39:13 PM »

So far, both my Trophy and the Speed have been
every bit as reliable as the bikes from the Big Four I've owned.
For me it's a good recipe, lower production
numbers and quality construction.
BobW

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: r1200rt
GPS: Morganton, NC
Miles Typed: 539

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 06:37:53 PM »

I've owned both a Bonnie and Sprint with 0 problems over 30K+ miles. The Sprint felt hotter at a traffic light as do all litre fully fared bikes ( BMW K's, ST's FJR's et al). I currently have a BMW R12 and I am in general a "twin" fan. It's a great bike too, but all vehicles stuck long enough in traffic will be subject to over heating as they require air movement to assist in cooling. Triumph has won engine endurance tear downs after 50K and I would guess all their and other OEM offerings will do a fine job for you. Modern engines run hot to meet emission standards, but they also benefit from better design and far superior lubricants. All that being said, take a test ride and get the bike that fits you best and makes you smile, any of them will be fine all else considered.

Safe travels and good luck.

Retired and loving it.
maddjack
UFO Pilot

Reputation 43

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11, '12
Motorcycles: Kawasaki Versys. the Goblin is gone.
GPS: McCandless township PA>
Miles Typed: 5140

My Photo Gallery

RIDE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 10:13:04 AM »

I have owned a 1997 trophy 1200 and a 2003 (current ) speed triple,both are stone axe reliable

I occasionally attend some STN events    Wink
Medic09

Reputation 0

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '76 Trident T160 (project), '78 Honda CB750K, '07 'Nord
GPS: Santa Fe, NM, USA
Miles Typed: 345

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 01:32:20 PM »

2001 Sprint ST.  Rock solid.  The only things that've broken are things that I broke.
Bjorn Toulouse
Destructive Tester

Reputation -1

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: CheeperHawk
GPS: N.E. oHIo
Miles Typed: 2579

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 10:49:49 PM »

I am looking at getting a Bonneville specifically and my biggest concern is the air cooled engine.  

Um, it's not like air cooled motorcycle engines are a new technology.  Headscratch

Rex

Dood, interesting bike. Did you customize it yourself, or was it all f*cked up when you bought it?
SpitfireTriple

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Aprilia Futura, Triumph Daytona 900 & Thunderbird 900
GPS: Bristol UK
Miles Typed: 447

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 02:22:15 AM »

You're getting a fairly consistent message here dsmith.  Good enough for you?

Allow me though to mention a problem I had on one of Triumph's earlier machines, a Daytona 900: The camchain broke. Of course, it was absolutely nothing to do with the fact that when I checked the camchain adjuster when the bike was semi-stripped for a valve adjustment, I didn't think the chain looked tight enough so I decided to give the spring a bit of finger assistance...

15 countries in 40 days. Tanks, minefields, crashes and Kalashnikovs

Seek Truth
TheRedOnesAreFaster
Your time will come....

Reputation 28

GPS: Battle Creek, MI
Miles Typed: 1937

My Photo Gallery

Bite Me.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 03:06:29 AM »

...I didn't think the chain looked tight enough so I decided to give the spring a bit of finger assistance...

In a similar vein, when I did my 24K service, I didn't lube my rear wheel bearing, since I figured it would be OK for another 2,000 miles or so when I'd be putting on new tires.  Figured I'd kill two birds with one stone.

The needle bearing (the only one you can lube) failed, taking the ball bearing, axle, ABS sensor, ABS pulser ring... something like $700 worth of damage.  Which the dealer did cover under warranty.

I was left stranded in Chicago, had to take a train home, get my truck and drive back to get the bike.

I don't blame Triumph for this- I should have lubed the needle bearing on schedule.

Aside from this one issue, the Sprint has been reliable as hell over 38,000 miles.

Stripes has a habit of breaking shift linkages on his 2005 1050.

Storm warning, but there's no fear......
Tony T

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '06, '09
Motorcycles: John Deere 1200LD
GPS: Under King Richards thumb
Miles Typed: 7322

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 08:56:18 AM »

Except for the things that break due to my tinkering, the Trophy has been pretty reliable. Though Trophy's do suffer from a known fuel starvation issue and the clock is worthless. The fuel issue is not an expensive fix, just frustrating dealing with it. And as for the clock, most owners don't bother.

I don't know anything about the Bonnevilles though.  Shrug
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 08:59:38 AM by Tony T » Logged

here
Yankee Dog

Reputation 16

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 12 Tiger 800 ..................... 05.Ural.GearUp ........................................ 05.BMW.F650GS
GPS: Decatur, AL
Miles Typed: 2304

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 11:58:29 AM »

I am on my forth Trumpet.  Not a lick of problems from any of them.  

Well except for the fact that the missus really likes the Speedmaster and I may have issues trading it in for a Speed Triple like I planned.  

yankee Dog

Rincewind

Reputation 122

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13685

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 12:45:10 PM »

I'm on my second Triumph.  Both treated me pretty well.  I had some oil usage problems with my first Triumph (bad seal on the blow-thru into the airbox caused extra oil to be sent there - happened twice).  On my second Triumph the airbox seems to be staying free of oil, but oil is being consumed by the engine now instead.  Reliability has otherwise been very good.  

From TheRedOnes post, I will be checking my rear wheel bearing on my next tire change!

I'm sure the Bonnies have their own pet issues - I know for instance they had some trouble with spokes, but you'd really have to look at Bonnie forums for the most dirt on them.

nevinfs327

Reputation 28

Years Contributed: '07, '09
Motorcycles: Street Triple, W650, V7 Cafe, TU250
GPS: San Francisco
Miles Typed: 1189

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 12:57:05 PM »

Friend of mine bought an 08 Bonnie Black last June and uses it for commuting almost daily when above 40 degrees.  His commute is about 2 miles from Hoboken NJ to Jersey City NJ and takes him 20 minutes, so he's sitting at a light more than he's moving.  No overheating or other issues.  Has about 5k on it (takes a while to rack up miles with a 4 mile round trip commute).  
bomber

Reputation 28

Years Contributed: '10
GPS: Sea of Joy
Miles Typed: 17270

My Photo Gallery

Based on actual events

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 03:39:36 PM »

there's an 05 Bonnie in our motorpool with 15K miles or so -- that newfanlged aircooled mill is doing just fine, including in some preety hot conditions

Beautiful day, happy to be here
-- Jane Catherine Lotter
"Bomber is correct" -- Carbonero
TheRedOnesAreFaster
Your time will come....

Reputation 28

GPS: Battle Creek, MI
Miles Typed: 1937

My Photo Gallery

Bite Me.

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 05:06:47 PM »

From TheRedOnes post, I will be checking my rear wheel bearing on my next tire change!

I wouldn't bother with it unless it's part of your scheduled service.  Getting to it requires removal of the stake nut on the left side of the axle, and that nut is supposed to be replaced after removal.  And it's a $25 part.

Storm warning, but there's no fear......
DNA
At least it don't have VTEC

Reputation 24

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '07 GSA , One empty stall in garage
GPS: Recalculating...
Miles Typed: 5232

My Photo Gallery

Old and full of Advil

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 05:37:16 PM »

Just to add spice to the discussion - I replaced the motor in my 03 Sprint this weekend as it has no compression in the #1 cylinder after only 44K miles.

It has had a lot of issues and must be the exception that proves the rule.

I might as well learn to play tennis for all I'm riding...   IBA # 24,128 and still invinciblehttp://s71.photobucket.com/user/dnaseller/media/VisitedStatesMap_zpsac48168b.jpg.html
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 79

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '00 Aprilia Mille, '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton
GPS: Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Miles Typed: 13945

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 06:17:05 AM »

I am in the market for a new or slightly used Triumph and I am just wondering how these bike stack up to the Japanese bikes as far as reliability goes.  I am looking at getting a Bonneville specifically and my biggest concern is the air cooled engine.

I have almost 10,000 miles on my Thruxton and it hasn't missed a beat.

more than oozing style, the parallel twin sound with the Triumph aftermarket peashooters is highly addictive  Drool

one of the best sounding motors around.  Inlove

jstark47

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 05 V-Strom 1000 (for sale), 03 Trophy 1200, 09 F650GS (wife's), 12 Tiger 800
GPS: Lumberton, NJ
Miles Typed: 521

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 05:16:49 PM »

more than oozing style...........

My Bonneville is oozing oil.  Seriously.  Just like the Meriden bikes.  18k miles, in the shop now, the countershaft seal and the gasket on the cover behind the sprocket - both shot.  At 10K miles it was cam cover gasket.  

Just like the Meriden bikes....  Crazy

Aside from keeping the oil on the inside of the engine, it's a reliable bike.  Been in some pretty challenging spots - 45 minute traffic jam on a blazing hot day - never overheated.  

My wife's Trophy had some initial problems.  Head gasket leak, vacuum lines, minor fueling issues... I thought might be from sitting around at a dealership for 2 years: 2003 model bought new in July 2005.  Once the initial problems were worked through, it's settled down to be a rock solid machine.
rajflyboy

Reputation -452

Miles Typed: 14

My Photo Gallery

Derp

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2009, 11:31:02 AM »

I have almost 10,000 miles on my Thruxton and it hasn't missed a beat.

more than oozing style, the parallel twin sound with the Triumph aftermarket peashooters is highly addictive  Drool

one of the best sounding motors around.  Inlove

Orson and Thruxton  .....  those two words go together
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal