TravisL

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 1999 VFR800
GPS: Iowa
Miles Typed: 78

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2009, 05:25:46 PM »

I'm considering trying to buy one.  I cant afford to take on a loan right now, and shouldnt be retarded and buy a bike but nice weather is getting the best of me.  I figure hell, if I can find a nice old bike cheap maybe I'll be happy and not spend a ton on a nicer one a year or two from now?

I've found an 86' w/ 13k miles.  It has new tires, and chain.  Supposed to run and shift fine, and is ridable.  But it does need the brakes reworked(i'm told master cylinder sticks, my $ is on the calipers), and likely a paint job, I'm not huge on the original paint anyhow and know a guy who can spray for cheap.  Also needs fork seals, no biggie there as it'd be a good idea to get some new oil in there anyhow, maybe even pony up for some new springs.

Do these have any real common problems or things I should watch out for?  Oh, and he's asking $1200.

Thanks!

1999 VFR800Fi........miles of smiles Smile
Snapping Twig

Reputation 52

Motorcycles: 2012 BMW R1200R
Miles Typed: 180

My Photo Gallery

Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 06:33:56 PM »

Being new to moto, I can't give you any sage advice.

Having been GIVEN and 85 Virago 700 recently with similar issues, I can help you out somewhat.

My advice...

Find a bike in better shape for a little more $$.

You'll end up spending that more no matter what you do and I'd rather have a running bike for the money w/o the time lost shagging down parts for an older bike.

If, and that's a big if, there's nothing else wrong, then what the heck - get it. Short of that, consider what the repairs would cost, save that up and put the total down on something that doesn't need work.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 06:38:18 PM by Snapping Twig » Logged

Earth First!

We can log the other planets later.
chornbe

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 07:32:51 PM »

I'm considering trying to buy one.  I cant afford to take on a loan right now, and shouldnt be retarded and buy a bike but nice weather is getting the best of me.  I figure hell, if I can find a nice old bike cheap maybe I'll be happy and not spend a ton on a nicer one a year or two from now?

I've found an 86' w/ 13k miles.  It has new tires, and chain.  Supposed to run and shift fine, and is ridable.  But it does need the brakes reworked(i'm told master cylinder sticks, my $ is on the calipers), and likely a paint job, I'm not huge on the original paint anyhow and know a guy who can spray for cheap.  Also needs fork seals, no biggie there as it'd be a good idea to get some new oil in there anyhow, maybe even pony up for some new springs.

Do these have any real common problems or things I should watch out for?  Oh, and he's asking $1200.

Thanks!

If you can wrench it yourself, jump on it (assuming you can hear it run or have someone local you trust to eyeball it if you're not local). They're bullet proof engines and a generally good bike overall.

If you can wrench it yourself.

Shop rates might run you just enough that you could get something a little better for the $2000 - $2500 range that's road ready and needs nothing.

$.02
TravisL

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 07:55:48 PM »

I've been wrenching on cars and trucks all my life.  I've got less experience with cycles, but I'm not afraid to learn.  I'm actually entering a training program at work to become a maintence mechanic(if all goes well I'll be looking at a $5/hr raise to be at full rate in the next 12-18 months) praying that works out well lol).  About the only thing I'd pay anybody to do is carb work I think, and even that I'm considering doing more and more of myself.  I'll be helping my father in law completely redo his 76' CB750k before I get too deep into this one so that experience will be priceless.  

HIGHLANDER
naewittyshitepostedeere

Reputation 10

Years Contributed: '08
Motorcycles: 2006 FJR1300, 2006 650 WeeStrom, FJ1200
GPS: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA, USA
Miles Typed: 124

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 08:52:22 PM »

Bulletproof bikes, I still own one, and even if it's old school I don't want to sell it. They'll go 100K easy ! Thumbsup
They only have two problem areas, one minor , the other could be major, but with only 13K on it, it should be fine.
1) look for clutch fluid leakage where the line enters the clutch basket, minor fix.
2) 2nd gear is sometimes a problem area. Test ride it and get on and off, and on and off the gas a number of times. Really whack the gas on and off hard. If 2nd gear has a problem it'll pop out of gear.

WFO-2 CA, WFO-3 ID, WFO-4 WA, WFO-5 NV & WFO-6 UT
chornbe

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 09:53:44 PM »

I've been wrenching on cars and trucks all my life.  I've got less experience with cycles, but I'm not afraid to learn.  I'm actually entering a training program at work to become a maintence mechanic(if all goes well I'll be looking at a $5/hr raise to be at full rate in the next 12-18 months) praying that works out well lol).  About the only thing I'd pay anybody to do is carb work I think, and even that I'm considering doing more and more of myself.  I'll be helping my father in law completely redo his 76' CB750k before I get too deep into this one so that experience will be priceless.  

You're golden, then. And carbs are easy... read up on the theory... once you get that, then dealing with them is easy. It's all just a matter of air and fuel channels and when they're activated.
coastalmainedan

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2008 FJR1300AE
GPS: South Portland, Maine
Miles Typed: 35

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 02:14:00 AM »

Great bike.  Almost had one in 86 but dealer was sold out so got a V65 Sabre instead.  Wiring harness and electrical seems to be a weak spot so ask the guy if it was always garaged or kept outside.
Orson
speshulize in havin' fun

Reputation 79

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '00 Aprilia Mille, '02 Moto Guzzi Le Mans, '04 Triumph Thruxton
GPS: Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Miles Typed: 13954

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 02:40:54 AM »

My personal rule is...no bikes older than 15 years old.

Bear in mind that I'm a former '84 FJ-1100 owner and loved the bike as a sport tourer.

But motorcycles aren't like cars. They can't take sitting for long periods.

It seems that over 15 years of age, things like rubber parts and hoses begin to wear out and it becomes a restoration project rather than bike ownership.

Now, if you want to take on a restoration project, that's another story  Bigsmile but if you're looking to save money, you'd be better off buying something newer.

gearheadstu

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2006 FZ6
GPS: CLT, NC, US
Miles Typed: 22

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 12:07:26 PM »

There is a really strong owner community behind the FJ. You may want to ping http://www.fjowners.com/

As others have said, the basic machinery is essentially bulletproof.

Stu
2006 FZ6
TravisL

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 06:54:55 PM »

I got some pictures of it finally.  It looks more like a full on restoration project than a decent fixer upper.  I dont mind doing some work, but it'd need full paint, rust removal on anything around the controls, seat is weather cracked pretty badly, some of the plastic is awefully rought etc.  If I wanted to make it a rider I'm sure I could but I want to end up with something nice not just something that will go down the road.  Back to plan a.  wait until I can afford what I want.......maybe an fjr1300.

oldenslow
eternal pessimist

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: 1992 Yamaha FJ1200, 1982 Suzuki GS1000Z Katana, 1986 Honda Goldwing
GPS: South Central Wisconsin
Miles Typed: 469

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 08:47:54 PM »

Go here my son, all will be answered.

http://www.fjowners.com/

Seriously, great group.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal