Topic: yamaha r6s  (Read 1343 times)

de1buzz

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: sv1000s
Miles Typed: 13

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2007, 07:47:51 PM »

Anyone tell me about it. I know it's a rebadged r6 but i can't find much info on it. I was at the dealer today looking for a replacement for my sv650. Sitting on it felt good with some higher bars it would be just right. Did they do anything to the motor? Gas miles? Power compaired to the sv? Thank for any info.
DogBoy
West Texas Teardrop

Reputation 104

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YZ250F/SM, DRZ400SM, YZF600, KTM450SMR
GPS: Sacramento, Ca
Miles Typed: 9989

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 07:56:22 PM »

Yamaha forum?

The R6s is essentially the 2004 R6. I think it has some improvements to the fuel injection over the actual 2004 R6.

The difference to your SV is better brakes, 30+ more hp, better chassis, fully adjustable suspension front (cartridge forks) and rear. The R6s is fuel injected while the first gen SV650's were not. (You didn't mention what year SV you have). The R6s runs a wider rear tire - 180/55 - than the SV650 which may be slightly more expensive to purchase depending on what tires you choose. Its a great bike.  Thumbsup

Note: 1KPerDay approved signature lines below.

de1buzz

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: sv1000s
Miles Typed: 13

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 10:56:59 PM »

sv is a 05. I'm looking to step up in a bike. Will i notice much difference going from the 650 to the 600 class? I went to the dealer to look at a gsxr600. It seems the yamaha was more comfy and was alot less money.
totenkinder
Digging digital ditches

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: '03 Yamaha R6, '05 Aprilia Tuono
GPS: Arizona
Miles Typed: 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 01:50:31 PM »

I own an '03 model R6, which is almost identical to the current R6s.  Love love love it.  Put 21k street miles on it in 3 years mostly commuting to work, a few 300+ mile day rides, and one track day.

I have also ridden my friends '02 SV650.  I haven't ridden the current generation, but I don't think they are that different.  Riding the SV is what convinced me that I needed a V-twin, and consequently led me to the Tuono.  Inlove The SV is narrower, lighter, and almost felt like a bicycle or dirtbike in comparison to the Yamaha.  I was amazed at how easy it was to flop over into turns, and thanks to the V-twin torque, how peppy it was leaving a stop.  To me, the R6 feels more stable, though, and feels much much faster once you really twist the go-fast lever and get up into the peak power.

The low fuel light on the R6 comes on somewhere between 106 and 125 miles. The seat is comfy for a supersport.  When stuck in traffic for extended periods of time in the middle of summer in Arizona, the right side of the frame would get very, very hot, and transmit the heat into the right footpeg, making for a toasty foot. Storage space is minimal, but that's what tankbags are for. On-off throttle response can be kind of abrupt, but they may have fixed that on the new ones.

I had to replace the ignition coils at 8k miles, due to a defect they had in '03. This ONLY affects '03s.
I replaced the chain and sprockets at 18k miles.
At 19k miles, the Throttle Position Sensor went kaput.  $75 part. This is a typical Yamaha problem.

After I bought the Aprilia, the R6 was relegated to "backup" duty.  It sat in my garage neglected for 8 months before I rode it again.  The (still original) battery needed charged, the throttle and idle set cables needed lubed, and the tires were a bit low on air.   That's it.  It fired right up, and it was like I had never stopped riding it.  ('Cept the Tuono makes IT feel like a bicycle.. heh.)
Slipstream

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 1999 Yamaha YZF R6
GPS: Tennessee
Miles Typed: 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 09:02:17 AM »

Yamaha forum?

The R6s is essentially the 2004 R6. I think it has some improvements to the fuel injection over the actual 2004 R6.

The difference to your SV is better brakes, 30+ more hp, better chassis, fully adjustable suspension front (cartridge forks) and rear. The R6s is fuel injected while the first gen SV650's were not. (You didn't mention what year SV you have). The R6s runs a wider rear tire - 180/55 - than the SV650 which may be slightly more expensive to purchase depending on what tires you choose. Its a great bike.  Thumbsup

Exactly what Iwas gonig to say.  I just read an article in Sport Rider about it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal