Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: headlight modulator guys  (Read 13242 times)

chornbe

« on: September 25, 2009, 12:56:16 AM »

Ok, so I'm riding this bike around that I've been working on and it's got a headlight modulator.

How the hell do you guys put up with everyone giving you dirty looks, the finger, pulling over thinking you're a cop, flashing their lights at you, the questions at stop lights and the general ire I seem to be garnering on this thing. I'm putting tape over the sensors.

Ya'll are some crazy people.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Stray Cat

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '07, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2001 "Damn Sexy" Honda CBR1100XX
GPS: Isle of Cat, Pugetopolis
Miles Typed: 2570

My Photo Gallery

Weeeeeee!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 01:36:27 AM »

So what I hear you saying, is that you are getting noticed?
Bjorn Toulouse
Destructive Tester

Reputation -1

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: '78 KZ750B, '02 KLR650, ')6 Speed Triple
GPS: N.E. oHIo
Miles Typed: 2579

My Photo Gallery

triplelicious

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 08:37:52 AM »

Modulation is for pussies!  Razz

Rex

Dood, interesting bike. Did you customize it yourself, or was it all f*cked up when you bought it?
Advertisement

adlowe

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 1999 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
GPS: Southeast Michigan
Miles Typed: 172

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 08:42:06 AM »

How the hell do you guys put up with everyone giving you dirty looks, the finger, pulling over thinking you're a cop, flashing their lights at you, the questions at stop lights and the general ire I seem to be garnering on this thing. I'm putting tape over the sensors.

You are riding with licensed drivers on the road, aren't you? Not just the driver's ed crowd? I've ridden throughout PA with my modulator going and haven't seen any of that. Over the last four years, I don't think I've had but maybe four instances like that -- and three of them were in Kentucky and Tennessee. (The other was in Michigan.)

Maybe it isn't the modulator drawing their ire...

chornbe

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 09:51:33 AM »

Yeah, it's me.  Rolleyes
caddydaddy

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: 2008 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 ABS
GPS: Gales Ferry, CT
Miles Typed: 1293

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 11:31:38 AM »

Loud lights save lives!   Lol

2008 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 ABS - Pacific Blue

Race Tech fork springs, TOR muffler and tune, K&N air filter, Flip up Aero screen, PowerBronze hugger & R&G sliders!
Giaka
UFO Identifier

Reputation -349

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: Versys Adventure
GPS: So Cal
Miles Typed: 5294

My Photo Gallery

LOL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 01:56:11 PM »

Never had a problem with mine but then again I dont use it all the time. Only when shit looks iffy and the little voice says "turn it on". No one has ever given me a dirty look or flipped me off or what ever. But then again I am on a silver ST, I get mistaken for POPO all the time when I am lane splitting.

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
                                      - William Shakespeare
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: '04 BMW K1200RS, '05 BMW R1200GS, '07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
GPS: Tucson, AZ
Miles Typed: 822

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 10:09:59 PM »

Ya'll are some crazy people.

I run a modulator all the time and I've never had anyone give me "dirty looks, the finger, pulling over thinking you're a cop, flashing their lights at you, the questions at stop lights and the general ire".

If they did, I wouldn't care. What I care about is they see me!.
DJStevieB

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '04 Yamaha FJR1300 & '08 Kawasaki ZX14
GPS: Monroe, Washington
Miles Typed: 434

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 12:22:38 AM »

Modulators have saved MY LIFE many, many times. City, country, freeway. Thumbsup

Piss on the haters! Twofinger
wbrisett

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2007 Buell Ulysses, 2009 Buell 1125CR, 2009 BMW R1200RT
GPS: TX
Miles Typed: 812

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 08:08:58 AM »

When I ran one on my 04 RT, many times I had people thinking I was a LEO (especially since the locals all ride RTs and my RT was a dark grey). I simply laughed when I saw people pulling over or getting out of my way. But at least they saw me.

I haven't put a modulator on my '09 RT, but mostly because the issues people have had with the CANBUS systems and modulators. I just didn't want the hassles.

Wayne
Hotbrakes

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: KTM SMT, Super Duke R, RC51, F800S, 300XC
GPS: Beaverdam, VA
Miles Typed: 832

My Photo Gallery

Responsibly Irresponsible

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 09:10:38 AM »

I was at Deal's Gap a couple weeks ago and saw "herds" of modulating motorcycles.  Sure people see you, but to oncoming drivers its distracting and sometimes downright blinding, especially when there's 5 bikes coming at you with their pulsing retina burners blasting away.  Looks more like a parade of emergency vehicles.

Does anyone ever pull out in front of you folks who are running these because other drivers think you are flashing your lights to "wave" them on?  Seems that even one occurrence like that would completely negate any benefit.  Adding auxiliary lights would be a better way to increase your profile and conspicuity both day and night.  Not to mention the bennies of broader night vision...

Here's a video showing a modulator, then auxiliary lights, then both together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dog2wDglPFg

adlowe

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 1999 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
GPS: Southeast Michigan
Miles Typed: 172

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 11:14:18 AM »

Does anyone ever pull out in front of you folks who are running these because other drivers think you are flashing your lights to "wave" them on?

Nope. Quite the opposite -- I usually see hoods diving because the driver hammered the brakes.

GTS_Rider
Wacko at large

Reputation 53

Motorcycles: MTS1200ST, V-Strom 1000, '94 Yamaha GTS1000, 2 Honda VF700F's
GPS: E.R. Burroughs Ranch, aka Tarzana, California
Miles Typed: 2821

My Photo Gallery

Lane-Sharing Saved My Life!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 11:54:36 AM »

Yeah, I just don't get this hate-train for those that run modulators. Eh, I might install modulators myself if I wasn't too lazy. Elseways...I just runs highbeems during the day. Ohhhhh....so sorry I blinded you with stock highbeams during the day...(not really, better than loud pipes or kicking off your mirrors, with bb's dropped behind...).

"I actually felt G-Forces in my face fat" - Streetbike Tommy
LENSMAN

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: '04 SV650, '97 Honda Blackbird
GPS: Montgomery County, Pa.
Miles Typed: 869

My Photo Gallery

NOW YOU CAN HAVE IT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 02:54:04 PM »

EEK! WTF???!!!

I have them on both of my bikes (installing it on the Blackbird was tough).  I wouldn't ride without them!   I just      to them when they flash their high beams. It means they see you.

It's great on the highway- cagers tend to get out of the way. The downside is if you're speeding, it can get the attention of the cops.

BE PREPARED
Strog

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 06 F650GS
GPS: Broken Arrow, OK
Miles Typed: 416

My Photo Gallery

Geek on two wheels

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 03:24:07 PM »

Some modulator setups are better than others. It's really annoying when the headlights are pointed straight at the oncoming cars instead of down the road like they are supposed to. It's one thing to make yourself seen, it's another thing altogether to blind/distract/etc. the other drivers so they have trouble seeing anything else. Around here people do crazy things when someone with a modulator comes up behind them. I've seen several times when cars start doing crazy things to get out of the way of the modulators. Then they pull back in when they finally realized it's not a cop and almost sideswipe another car or the bike when it tries to pull through.

I notice the auxiliary lights much better than the modulators. My $.02
Poweranger

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 13 Tiger 800
GPS: Michigan
Miles Typed: 783

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 05:00:57 PM »

I have had a few of those same reactions. But that just means they saw me. I do not ride with it on all the time though. Usually only when on the 45-50 mph four lane city roads with lots of cross traffic.

I did however have a close call last week where someone pulled out in front of me. Had the ABS kicking in to stop. I was cussing this idiot out and wondering how he could not have seen the high beam modulator going until I realized the next time I got off the bike that the modulator was not working anymore. I have never had anyone pull out with it on. Some have started and then hit the brakes hard when it got their attention.

The only people that have pulled over thinking I was an LEO were OLD people. The ones driving 15-20 mph under the limit and struggling to see over the steering wheel. And I like it when they get out of the way.

I had a female mini van driver come up beside me as I was on a freeway exit ramp. Just where the solid white line starts to divide. I was riding with 2 other bikes in a staggered formation at about 2 seconds between bikes. The female mini van bitch driver then looks over at me and decides since I see her she can now cut across the two solid white lines and cut me off. Pushes me right off to the shoulder. I brake hard, get in behind her, lay back, and then wait until we exit and get headed north on the freeway as she is now tailgating the two cyclists that were ahead of me. Once she gets the chance she passes the other bikes and takes off. I follow, turn on brights, and let the headlight modulator beam off her rear view mirrors for the next 50 miles.....Hope it annoyed the hell out of her....
Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 44

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4797

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 07:23:54 PM »

I have modulating high beams on the FJR and find that they really work when lane sharing.

I do not normally ride with the modulation on, but slower vehicles will on most instances pull over when the lights are pulsing  Bigsmile

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: '04 Concours - '03 FZ1 - '05 KTM 525 - '09 CRF250X - '13 KTM 990 SM-T - '07 Yamaha R6S
GPS: Shenandoah County, VA
Miles Typed: 3529

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »

Head light modulators.... Perfect for folks that have a keen sense of self entitlement.  Bigsmile  

I'd never wish harm to anyone as a general rule.  But I'd laugh if all the flashing let them stranded on the side of the road with no headlights.

I may die with nothing to show for it but there will be a heck of a garage sale.
mugwump58

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: EX 500, KLX 300 SF, FJR
GPS: N of I 90
Miles Typed: 3941

My Photo Gallery

The sign is gone :-(

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2009, 07:39:25 PM »

I don't have them and don't see many. I won't start complaining about them till we do something about those HI lights on upscale cars. Hey if find that you're out running your lights slow the f*^ck down. Show off some other way ya self centered pr*&Ks.

sorry

May you only ever meet people with headlights just like yours.
Specter
Now on a FJR1300A

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '10
Motorcycles: '05 Yamaha FJR 1300
GPS: Fremont, CA
Miles Typed: 632

My Photo Gallery

He who hesitates, is passed

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 07:11:06 PM »

In five years of regular riding and commuting with a modulating headlights, I've never been cursed or flipped off by anyone, or pulled over by LEOs. I've had exactly three helpful people signal me that there was something wrong with my headlight.

I have seen numerous cagers abort attempts to turn left or otherwise pull out in front of me, and many others acknowledge my presence instead of change lanes into my space. This is the single best preventative safety measure you can add to a bike.

- Fast-Forward Sightseeing
2005 FJR1300A
IBA 492 Darksider #58
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal