Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Down
Print

Topic: headlight modulator guys  (Read 13570 times)

chornbe

« on: September 25, 2009, 12:56:16 AM »

Ok, so I'm riding this bike around that I've been working on and it's got a headlight modulator.

How the hell do you guys put up with everyone giving you dirty looks, the finger, pulling over thinking you're a cop, flashing their lights at you, the questions at stop lights and the general ire I seem to be garnering on this thing. I'm putting tape over the sensors.

Ya'll are some crazy people.
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

Stray Cat

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '07, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2001 "Damn Sexy" Honda CBR1100XX
GPS: Isle of Cat, Pugetopolis
Miles Typed: 2570

My Photo Gallery

Weeeeeee!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 01:36:27 AM »

So what I hear you saying, is that you are getting noticed?
Bjorn Toulouse
Destructive Tester

Reputation -1

Years Contributed: '07, '08
Motorcycles: '78 KZ750B, '02 KLR650, ')6 Speed Triple
GPS: N.E. oHIo
Miles Typed: 2579

My Photo Gallery

triplelicious

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 08:37:52 AM »

Modulation is for pussies!  Razz

Rex

Dood, interesting bike. Did you customize it yourself, or was it all f*cked up when you bought it?
Advertisement

adlowe

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 1999 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
GPS: Southeast Michigan
Miles Typed: 172

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 08:42:06 AM »

How the hell do you guys put up with everyone giving you dirty looks, the finger, pulling over thinking you're a cop, flashing their lights at you, the questions at stop lights and the general ire I seem to be garnering on this thing. I'm putting tape over the sensors.

You are riding with licensed drivers on the road, aren't you? Not just the driver's ed crowd? I've ridden throughout PA with my modulator going and haven't seen any of that. Over the last four years, I don't think I've had but maybe four instances like that -- and three of them were in Kentucky and Tennessee. (The other was in Michigan.)

Maybe it isn't the modulator drawing their ire...

chornbe

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 09:51:33 AM »

Yeah, it's me.  Rolleyes
caddydaddy

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: 2008 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 ABS
GPS: Gales Ferry, CT
Miles Typed: 1293

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 11:31:38 AM »

Loud lights save lives!   Lol

2008 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 ABS - Pacific Blue

Race Tech fork springs, TOR muffler and tune, K&N air filter, Flip up Aero screen, PowerBronze hugger & R&G sliders!
Giaka
UFO Identifier

Reputation -349

Years Contributed: '09, '10
Motorcycles: Versys Adventure
GPS: So Cal
Miles Typed: 5294

My Photo Gallery

LOL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 01:56:11 PM »

Never had a problem with mine but then again I dont use it all the time. Only when shit looks iffy and the little voice says "turn it on". No one has ever given me a dirty look or flipped me off or what ever. But then again I am on a silver ST, I get mistaken for POPO all the time when I am lane splitting.

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
                                      - William Shakespeare
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: '04 BMW K1200RS, '05 BMW R1200GS, '07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
GPS: Tucson, AZ
Miles Typed: 822

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 10:09:59 PM »

I run a modulator all the time and I've never had anyone give me "dirty looks, the finger, pulling over thinking you're a cop, flashing their lights at you, the questions at stop lights and the general ire".

If they did, I wouldn't care. What I care about is they see me!.
DJStevieB

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: '04 Yamaha FJR1300 & '08 Kawasaki ZX14
GPS: Monroe, Washington
Miles Typed: 434

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 12:22:38 AM »

Modulators have saved MY LIFE many, many times. City, country, freeway. Thumbsup

Piss on the haters! Twofinger
wbrisett

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2007 Buell Ulysses, 2009 Buell 1125CR, 2009 BMW R1200RT
GPS: TX
Miles Typed: 812

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 08:08:58 AM »

When I ran one on my 04 RT, many times I had people thinking I was a LEO (especially since the locals all ride RTs and my RT was a dark grey). I simply laughed when I saw people pulling over or getting out of my way. But at least they saw me.

I haven't put a modulator on my '09 RT, but mostly because the issues people have had with the CANBUS systems and modulators. I just didn't want the hassles.

Wayne
Hotbrakes

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: KTM SMT, Super Duke R, RC51, F800S, 300XC
GPS: Beaverdam, VA
Miles Typed: 832

My Photo Gallery

Responsibly Irresponsible

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 09:10:38 AM »

I was at Deal's Gap a couple weeks ago and saw "herds" of modulating motorcycles.  Sure people see you, but to oncoming drivers its distracting and sometimes downright blinding, especially when there's 5 bikes coming at you with their pulsing retina burners blasting away.  Looks more like a parade of emergency vehicles.

Does anyone ever pull out in front of you folks who are running these because other drivers think you are flashing your lights to "wave" them on?  Seems that even one occurrence like that would completely negate any benefit.  Adding auxiliary lights would be a better way to increase your profile and conspicuity both day and night.  Not to mention the bennies of broader night vision...

Here's a video showing a modulator, then auxiliary lights, then both together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dog2wDglPFg

adlowe

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 11:14:18 AM »

Does anyone ever pull out in front of you folks who are running these because other drivers think you are flashing your lights to "wave" them on?

Nope. Quite the opposite -- I usually see hoods diving because the driver hammered the brakes.

GTS_Rider
Wacko at large

Reputation 53

Motorcycles: MTS1200ST, V-Strom 1000, '94 Yamaha GTS1000, 2 Honda VF700F's
GPS: E.R. Burroughs Ranch, aka Tarzana, California
Miles Typed: 2821

My Photo Gallery

Lane-Sharing Saved My Life!

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 11:54:36 AM »

Yeah, I just don't get this hate-train for those that run modulators. Eh, I might install modulators myself if I wasn't too lazy. Elseways...I just runs highbeems during the day. Ohhhhh....so sorry I blinded you with stock highbeams during the day...(not really, better than loud pipes or kicking off your mirrors, with bb's dropped behind...).

"I actually felt G-Forces in my face fat" - Streetbike Tommy
LENSMAN

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: '04 SV650, '97 Honda Blackbird
GPS: Montgomery County, Pa.
Miles Typed: 869

My Photo Gallery

NOW YOU CAN HAVE IT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 02:54:04 PM »

EEK! WTF???!!!

I have them on both of my bikes (installing it on the Blackbird was tough).  I wouldn't ride without them!   I just      to them when they flash their high beams. It means they see you.

It's great on the highway- cagers tend to get out of the way. The downside is if you're speeding, it can get the attention of the cops.

BE PREPARED
Strog

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 06 F650GS
GPS: Broken Arrow, OK
Miles Typed: 417

My Photo Gallery

Geek on two wheels

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 03:24:07 PM »

Some modulator setups are better than others. It's really annoying when the headlights are pointed straight at the oncoming cars instead of down the road like they are supposed to. It's one thing to make yourself seen, it's another thing altogether to blind/distract/etc. the other drivers so they have trouble seeing anything else. Around here people do crazy things when someone with a modulator comes up behind them. I've seen several times when cars start doing crazy things to get out of the way of the modulators. Then they pull back in when they finally realized it's not a cop and almost sideswipe another car or the bike when it tries to pull through.

I notice the auxiliary lights much better than the modulators. My $.02
Poweranger

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 13 Tiger 800
GPS: Michigan
Miles Typed: 783

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 05:00:57 PM »

I have had a few of those same reactions. But that just means they saw me. I do not ride with it on all the time though. Usually only when on the 45-50 mph four lane city roads with lots of cross traffic.

I did however have a close call last week where someone pulled out in front of me. Had the ABS kicking in to stop. I was cussing this idiot out and wondering how he could not have seen the high beam modulator going until I realized the next time I got off the bike that the modulator was not working anymore. I have never had anyone pull out with it on. Some have started and then hit the brakes hard when it got their attention.

The only people that have pulled over thinking I was an LEO were OLD people. The ones driving 15-20 mph under the limit and struggling to see over the steering wheel. And I like it when they get out of the way.

I had a female mini van driver come up beside me as I was on a freeway exit ramp. Just where the solid white line starts to divide. I was riding with 2 other bikes in a staggered formation at about 2 seconds between bikes. The female mini van bitch driver then looks over at me and decides since I see her she can now cut across the two solid white lines and cut me off. Pushes me right off to the shoulder. I brake hard, get in behind her, lay back, and then wait until we exit and get headed north on the freeway as she is now tailgating the two cyclists that were ahead of me. Once she gets the chance she passes the other bikes and takes off. I follow, turn on brights, and let the headlight modulator beam off her rear view mirrors for the next 50 miles.....Hope it annoyed the hell out of her....
Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 44

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4797

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 07:23:54 PM »

I have modulating high beams on the FJR and find that they really work when lane sharing.

I do not normally ride with the modulation on, but slower vehicles will on most instances pull over when the lights are pulsing  Bigsmile

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: '04 Concours - '03 FZ1 - '05 KTM 525 - '09 CRF250X - '13 KTM 990 SM-T - '07 Yamaha R6S
GPS: Shenandoah County, VA
Miles Typed: 3533

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »

Head light modulators.... Perfect for folks that have a keen sense of self entitlement.  Bigsmile  

I'd never wish harm to anyone as a general rule.  But I'd laugh if all the flashing let them stranded on the side of the road with no headlights.

I may die with nothing to show for it but there will be a heck of a garage sale.
mugwump58

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: EX 500, KLX 300 SF, FJR
GPS: N of I 90
Miles Typed: 3941

My Photo Gallery

The sign is gone :-(

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2009, 07:39:25 PM »

I don't have them and don't see many. I won't start complaining about them till we do something about those HI lights on upscale cars. Hey if find that you're out running your lights slow the f*^ck down. Show off some other way ya self centered pr*&Ks.

sorry

May you only ever meet people with headlights just like yours.
Specter
Now on a FJR1300A

Reputation 13

Years Contributed: '06, '08, '10
Motorcycles: '05 Yamaha FJR 1300
GPS: Fremont, CA
Miles Typed: 632

My Photo Gallery

He who hesitates, is passed

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 07:11:06 PM »

In five years of regular riding and commuting with a modulating headlights, I've never been cursed or flipped off by anyone, or pulled over by LEOs. I've had exactly three helpful people signal me that there was something wrong with my headlight.

I have seen numerous cagers abort attempts to turn left or otherwise pull out in front of me, and many others acknowledge my presence instead of change lanes into my space. This is the single best preventative safety measure you can add to a bike.

- Fast-Forward Sightseeing
2005 FJR1300A
IBA 492 Darksider #58
Mydlyfkryzis

Reputation 10

Motorcycles: 1976 CB360t; 1991 CB750 Nighthawk
GPS: Northern NJ
Miles Typed: 939

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 11:08:28 PM »

Ok, so I'm riding this bike around that I've been working on and it's got a headlight modulator.

Maybe it isn't the modulator, maybe it's the loud pipes?
denydog
Ready to Ride! (as long as it's not raining)

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 1982 Suzuki GS 1100E - BMW K1200R Sport - Barb's Suzuki GS500
GPS: Near Seattle Wa
Miles Typed: 1772

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 11:19:45 PM »

I think headlight modulators are such a good idea, I'd like to see them on all vehicles!  Bikes, cars, trucks, why not?  Rolleyes
adlowe

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2009, 11:10:54 AM »

Piss on the haters! Twofinger

+1

Or more.

Or pair each of them with a religious zealot and let them spend their time trying to convert each other.

Tpoppa

Reputation 6

Motorcycles: 2010 CBR600RA with Helibars
Miles Typed: 541

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2009, 11:27:16 AM »

They are distracting.  From a distance it looks like a Police bike.  If they become more prevalent, hopefully they get banned.

I can be found on any twisty backroad in SE OH or WV.
Ves

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 ABS
GPS: Alsip IL
Miles Typed: 265

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2009, 06:00:10 PM »

Actually I don't get dirty looks or the finger, but I do see people starting to pull out from side roads then suddenly stop... and I do see people slow down and move over ( Bigok)... I do see people checking their mirrors trying to figure out if I'm a cop... I have had people say, "Your headlight is flashing."... or make other signs with their fingers or hands to say the same thing... I just wave to them and think to my self, "Damn... best $80 bucks I ever spent"...  Bigok

Ban them?  pfffth...  get over it...
chornbe

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2009, 06:08:41 PM »

Maybe it isn't the modulator, maybe it's the loud pipes?

On a GL1500 sewing maching....?  Headscratch
caddydaddy

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: 2008 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 ABS
GPS: Gales Ferry, CT
Miles Typed: 1293

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2009, 07:38:33 PM »

On a GL1500 sewing maching....?  Headscratch

The right set of pipes can make anything loud!

2008 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 ABS - Pacific Blue

Race Tech fork springs, TOR muffler and tune, K&N air filter, Flip up Aero screen, PowerBronze hugger & R&G sliders!
Poweranger

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2009, 10:21:51 PM »

They are distracting.  From a distance it looks like a Police bike.  If they become more prevalent, hopefully they get banned.

Yes they are distracting. That would be the purpose of it..... Headscratch  
Tpoppa

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2009, 09:56:38 AM »

I not seen any evidence that they do anything other than annoy other motorists.

Do you really think that people cannot see a normal headlight  Rolleyes

Ves

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2009, 10:24:21 AM »

I not seen any evidence that they do anything other than annoy other motorists.

Do you really think that people cannot see a normal headlight  Rolleyes

Buddy... where have you been?   Last I read, cars turning into the path of a motorcycle is one of the major causes of motorcycle accidents... I'm pretty sure all those motorcycles had their headlights on.  It's not enough...  Flashing gets peoples attention... which is why emergency vehicles use FLASHING lights... not just bright/colored lights...

SteveJones

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '03 Honda ST1300A
GPS: St. Louis, MO
Miles Typed: 297

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2009, 11:39:16 AM »

Most modulators that I know of only come on if the light switch is set to high beams.  In daylight, obviously.  If it is modulating all the time, regardless of where the light control is set, it sounds like something is wrong with the installation and I'd disable it.

As for people, I have seen everything you describe (except the finger), but could probably count the instances on one hand - maybe 2... and that is over the last 6 years now I have been running it.  And mine is on nearly all the time.  The people where you ride need to relax.

Regards - Steve Jones
Ferries: http://ridetoeat.com/ferry, Time Zone Data: http://OnTimeZone.com, Ride To Eat: http://RideToEat.com
Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: '04 Concours - '03 FZ1 - '05 KTM 525 - '09 CRF250X - '13 KTM 990 SM-T - '07 Yamaha R6S

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2009, 12:20:01 PM »

LuvMy883,

So there you have it. Based on the answers provided by the pro-modulator crowd it's like I said earlier. It requires a keen sense of self entitlement, and you're obviously lacking. Bigsmile

I may die with nothing to show for it but there will be a heck of a garage sale.
SteveJones

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2009, 12:39:27 PM »

LuvMy883,

So there you have it. Based on the answers provided by the pro-modulator crowd it's like I said earlier. It requires a keen sense of self entitlement, and you're obviously lacking. Bigsmile

You've made your position clear.  Repeating it looking for more satisfactory attention is just trolling.

Regards - Steve Jones
Ferries: http://ridetoeat.com/ferry, Time Zone Data: http://OnTimeZone.com, Ride To Eat: http://RideToEat.com
DJStevieB

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2009, 01:08:47 PM »

My modulators allow me to switch from low beam modulating (Hey, watch for me) to high beam modulating (You ass-wipe, do you see me now!).
SteveJones

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2009, 01:22:46 PM »

My modulators allow me to switch from low beam modulating (Hey, watch for me) to high beam modulating (You ass-wipe, do you see me now!).

How do you turn them off?

Regards - Steve Jones
Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2009, 01:34:50 PM »

You've made your position clear.  Repeating it looking for more satisfactory attention is just trolling.

And you helped affirm my position. Thank you!   Lol

chornbe

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2009, 01:42:28 PM »

Ultimately I don't care either way...  I survive just fine without them and *MY* ability to watch around me and ride like I'm invisible has done what headlight modulators do for others. I just choose not to be the center point of that much on-road attention.
chornbe

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2009, 01:43:56 PM »

Buddy... where have you been?   Last I read, cars turning into the path of a motorcycle is one of the major causes of motorcycle accidents... I'm pretty sure all those motorcycles had their headlights on.  It's not enough...  Flashing gets peoples attention... which is why emergency vehicles use FLASHING lights... not just bright/colored lights...

From my experience (yes, anecdotal...) - It's not the not seeing them that's the issue... it's misjudging speed and distance due to lack of depth perception on a single point of focus.

$.02
SteveJones

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2009, 01:47:15 PM »

Ooops... I forgot the prime directive:

Regards - Steve Jones
Tpoppa

Reputation 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2009, 08:43:59 PM »

I think you are confusing the purposes of sirens and flashers.  Sirens get your attention, flashers are to distinguish typical motorists from emergency or service vehicles that need special attention.  If you heard a siren and looked to see a group of 10 vehicles with headlights on, you wouldn't be immediately able to tell which had the siren.  Lights and flashing lights are both easily visible, but the flashing light will visually distinguish the emergency vehicle.  If multiple vehicles had fashing lights it would confuse which vehicle needed special attention.

I'd be curious to hear the opinions of some of the LEOs or Firemen on the board.

chornbe

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2009, 10:24:11 PM »

Plus, if every vehicle had flashing (head)lights, then they wouldn't be unique and people wouldn't "see" them any more. Shrug
GTS_Rider
Wacko at large

Reputation 53

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2009, 08:15:09 AM »

You guys with the modulators are amatures for annoyance. A few years back in ST.N v1.0, I documented a couple experiments I ran for lane-splitting the 405 LAX>San Fernando Valley, one of the worlds most crowded commutes.

One experiment was running a bullhorn looping a really old bugs bunny sound track "excuse me, excuse me, pardon me, excuse me...", really loud. I found that it annoyed those that were paying attention in the first place, and the clueless were still clueless, with their windows rolled up and listening to music or on their cell phone.

Another experiment, I ran a 3 million candle power spot-light at night, designed to burn the pavement between cars 4 or 5 cars ahead of me to let them know something's coming. Eh, I gave that one up after the trial run, I still didn't get much extra notice, plus the fact that I'd be sure to get mega-busted if I rolled up on a cop.

I've gone back to invisable mode (except I still run high-beams in the day, and during tight low-speed frwy lane splitting at night). Any-case, I still don't get why people complain about modulators, they just make your lights go 'off' for part of the time. It's not even close to some of the 'really annoying' shit I have tried....

county
The thrill of speed, the image of danger

Reputation -630

Motorcycles: Blackbird & F650CS
GPS: Memphis, TN
Miles Typed: 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2009, 11:59:18 AM »

Ultimately I don't care either way...  I survive just fine without them and *MY* ability to watch around me and ride like I'm invisible has done what headlight modulators do for others. I just choose not to be the center point of that much on-road attention.

Can I have your modulator?

Iron Butt Identification No. 22810.  BB1500   Bullet Bike rider
My dog can poo !
FJRmgm

Reputation 15

Miles Typed: 1753

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2009, 08:57:19 AM »

+1 - I don't like them at all.  Neither does my S.O.
Ves

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2009, 08:05:20 PM »

If there is a flashing light in your field of view... you WILL notice it... it's pretty much physically impossible for you not to look...  our brains are wired that way...  don't ask me why, I'm not god... (although my kids do keep calling me god... "Oh, god!"  Headscratch...)    Whether the problem is dept/speed perception... lack of sleep... cell phones... lack of intelligence or what ever... they notice you...  and getting noticed is part of the game...

Anyone who's irritated enough to give you the finger, or whatever, has got bigger issues than my flashing light...  Rolleyes
TuffguyF4i

Reputation -140

Motorcycles: '02 F4i, '99 1100xx, '04 GSXR 750
GPS: Syracuse, NY
Miles Typed: 2763

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2009, 10:32:46 AM »

I prefer HID low beam with Halogen high beam, super bright LED turn signals, and LED visibility lights.

Never hand anyone pull out on me with that setup.

Eventually the people rise as the people always do, and the government exerts it's power in the form of totalitarian rule to violently squash the revolution.  Then you will know it is too late.
ST1300Rider
Old Phart

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '05 ST1300, '09 R1200 GS, '07 Triumph Scrambler, '87 Honda XL600V
GPS: Eastern Slope of the Alberta Rocky Mountains
Miles Typed: 648

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2009, 11:33:07 AM »

I'd never wish harm to anyone as a general rule.  But I'd laugh if all the flashing let them stranded on the side of the road with no headlights.

And this is exactly the reason I've shitcanned mine after many years of use. I still had low beams, but a lonely straight road through forest rat habitat, the dead of night, after 14 hours in the saddle..... I wanted my high beams. The headlights themselves were fine, it was the modulator that failed. Even if I'd figured out the problem on the side of the road, my install was not easily undone. If you ride at night, maybe think twice.

"In the end, its about the ride. Not the siren songs of the farkles." AugustFalcon on ADVRiders.

Weather in Sundre http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IALBERTA332#history
Poweranger

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2009, 04:24:38 PM »

And this is exactly the reason I've shitcanned mine after many years of use. I still had low beams, but a lonely straight road through forest rat habitat, the dead of night, after 14 hours in the saddle..... I wanted my high beams. The headlights themselves were fine, it was the modulator that failed. Even if I'd figured out the problem on the side of the road, my install was not easily undone. If you ride at night, maybe think twice.

My modulator has a fail safe that just sets it to steady on. It will not fail and kill the power to the headlight. It has failed and worked as intended. I never lost use of the highbeam.
ST1300Rider
Old Phart

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '05 ST1300, '09 R1200 GS, '07 Triumph Scrambler, '87 Honda XL600V
GPS: Eastern Slope of the Alberta Rocky Mountains
Miles Typed: 648

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2009, 04:40:22 PM »

My modulator has a fail safe that just sets it to steady on. It will not fail and kill the power to the headlight. It has failed and worked as intended. I never lost use of the highbeam.

I "thought" the Comagination (Spell?) unit I had was supposed to do this as well. It didn't. It's gone.

"In the end, its about the ride. Not the siren songs of the farkles." AugustFalcon on ADVRiders.

Weather in Sundre http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IALBERTA332#history
Poweranger

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2009, 09:26:33 PM »

I also have the Comagination that failed. I guess at least mine failed the way it is supposed to fail. But next time I will be looking at a different brand.
Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4797

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2009, 08:03:25 PM »

+1

Or more.

Or pair each of them with a religious zealot and let them spend their time trying to convert each other.

Dang that is just twisted,   Funny too  Bigok

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
sloth911

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Concours
Miles Typed: 62

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2009, 07:26:21 AM »

I have driven around 15,000 miles in the Phila Suburbs with a Modulator. I love it.

I almost always get waved ahead at 4 way stops.

I have seen hoods dive several times when people see me and slam on the brakes.

I have seen people look cautiously in their mirror to see wtf was behind them.

I leave it on 99% of the time. I try and turn it off when I see a LEO just because I don't want the hassle, but I usually forget and LEO have never given me a problem.

In rural areas I have had people pull over because they think I am a cop (very nice feature!)

I turn it off when I ride with bikes causes it tends to catch their mirrors.

I have had many people at red lights tell me that my headlight is blinking and I say "I know" and if they look particularly distressed, i say "thanks" and turn it off until the light turns green.

I had one person in TN tell me that they thought I was blinking my lights for them to go (at 120 times per minute!) he cut me off, but that is one instance where I was cut off and I have at least 2-3 per week where it is clear the modular caught the cagers attention.

You can't have it both ways, if it "annoys" you, that means it works and you are seeing it.

If a blinking headlight really cause you (or someone else) that much distress, I would suggest you seek professional help, because you got some real issues that you need to work out, and NEVER goto Vegas, your head is likely to explode!

When I do turn it off (as mentioned above) I forget to turn it on and after a few miles I start to become concerned when some cager does something unexplainable and I realize that my modulator is off! It works!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 07:28:44 AM by sloth911 » Logged

CONCOURS LAPEL PINS FOR SALE
MyPhotos
COG#8626 http://sn.im/dh7hyhttp://sn.im/dh7he
adlowe

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2009, 10:00:38 AM »

I leave it on 99% of the time. I try and turn it off when I see a LEO just because I don't want the hassle, but I usually forget and LEO have never given me a problem.

PA State Police are fine with modulators. I've come across (and spoken with) several and not one nhas ever mentioned my modulator, not even when it was lighting up their badges.

Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2009, 08:49:19 PM »

You can't have it both ways, if it "annoys" you, that means it works and you are seeing it.

See that's just it. I don't want it "Both ways". I figure your mere presense on the road doesn't give you the right to distract me or force me to give you special notice. What makes you special? Are you riding an emergency vehicle on your way to save lives, or perhaps arrest a murderer? No, you're just another person making there way along a public road, just like everyone else. But for some reason you think that because you are on two wheels you deserve some special notice.

Here's a thought: How about you ditch the flashing headlight and glue a big freakin glow-in-the-dark dildo on top of your helmet. I'll notice it, and be amused rather than annoyed. We both win!  Bigok

GTS_Rider
Wacko at large

Reputation 53

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2009, 09:59:04 AM »

... But for some reason you think that because you are on two wheels you deserve some special notice...

Uhhh, yeah!, but more like *any* notice. "Special-notice" may well still apply, since last time I checked, moto's don't have seat-belts or air-bags (excluding new gold-wings for the airbag bit).

You've never heard about inattentional blindness?  

http://www.ommriders.com/t/01/sub.jsp?p=3830

Ves

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2009, 11:01:23 AM »

I can not tell you how many times my wife and I are doing something together that requires observation... like driving or just sitting and watching TV and I'll mention something I just saw, and she'll say something like, "I didn't see it, I wasn't looking."....  Headscratch  I'm like, what do you mean you didn't see it... you were facing that way... you were looking at it...   Point is her mind was somewhere else, or she was focused on something else...  

People are distracted... everyone frikin multitasks these days... that's the reality... anything you can do, within reason, to cut through that distraction if fair game...   it just makes sense...

To be legal they have to flash at a certain intensity, at a certain frequency... and they should have sensors that stop the flashing when you're in a dark area... like under a bridge or in a tunnel and at night...  If you ever got a ticket it would never stand up in a court or law, because a federal law allows them...  unless of course yours is not designed properly... and I'm sure there are some out there that aren't...
Poweranger

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2009, 04:01:52 PM »

Uhhh, yeah!, but more like *any* notice. "Special-notice" may well still apply, since last time I checked, moto's don't have seat-belts or air-bags (excluding new gold-wings for the airbag bit).

You've never heard about inattentional blindness?  

http://www.ommriders.com/t/01/sub.jsp?p=3830

+1 Very well said GTS-rider.

I guess Windblown won't mind if I take my F-250 diesel pickup out on the road and not give him any special notice when he is on two wheels. Why should I? His two wheeler is nothing special. Probably won't even put much of a dent in the truck if I would happen to run in to him while I was not paying any "special" attention.

I tried the glow-in-the-dark dildo glued on helmet trick too and it would not work. Only caused a bunch of hot gawking sluts to become distracted while driving causing even more accidents.  Bigok
sloth911

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Concours
Miles Typed: 62

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2009, 05:15:11 PM »

I figure your mere presense on the road doesn't give you the right to distract me or force me to give you special notice. What makes you special?

Doesn't matter what you "figure". Sounds like the feds are giving me all the "rights" I need to drive around w/ flashing headlight to attract drivers attention.

CONCOURS LAPEL PINS FOR SALE
MyPhotos
COG#8626 http://sn.im/dh7hyhttp://sn.im/dh7he
GTS_Rider
Wacko at large

Reputation 53

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2009, 06:23:25 AM »

I soooo want to add modulators to my bike. Same time I shrink back because I don't want to add extra notice as I approach or split by police cagers. Hmmm, it's a hard decision, go traditionally invisible/stealth to avoid police attention...or announce your presence to everyone in your path extra-ways? I still choose to go full invisible, but I don't get why fellow bikers are harshing on the more to be seen scene?

« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 06:25:42 AM by GTS_Rider » Logged

adlowe

Reputation 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2009, 09:19:50 AM »

I don't get why fellow bikers are harshing on the more to be seen scene?

Overcompensating for their feelings of sexual inadequacy?

Poweranger

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2009, 02:06:26 PM »

I soooo want to add modulators to my bike. Same time I shrink back because I don't want to add extra notice as I approach or split by police cagers. Hmmm, it's a hard decision, go traditionally invisible/stealth to avoid police attention...or announce your presence to everyone in your path extra-ways? I still choose to go full invisible, but I don't get why fellow bikers are harshing on the more to be seen scene?

I have the same feeling when out riding. I FEEL like the modulator is adding extra notice for the police. So I always have to remind myself that the only times the police have ever stopped me is when I was doing something wrong. Which was speeding every time. It didn't matter if the modulator was on or not......Their radar was correct. But you could turn it off when splitting if that is your only fear.
Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2009, 06:45:09 PM »

+1 Very well said GTS-rider.

I guess Windblown won't mind if I take my F-250 diesel pickup out on the road and not give him any special notice when he is on two wheels. Why should I? His two wheeler is nothing special. Probably won't even put much of a dent in the truck if I would happen to run in to him while I was not paying any "special" attention.

I tried the glow-in-the-dark dildo glued on helmet trick too and it would not work. Only caused a bunch of hot gawking sluts to become distracted while driving causing even more accidents.  Bigok

Well of course I won't mind if you pay me no special attention.  If on the otherhand you are inattentive in your driving and that causes an accident you'll have answer for it like like any of us would. See? Nothing special.

Look, I understand there are drivers out there doing anything and everything besides DRIVING while behind the wheel. I also understand that in most areas headlight modulators are legal. That does not change the fact that I think it's pretentious to feel like it's ok to demand special notice by using a modulator regardless of whether it annoys, distracts, and confuses others on the road.  There are a number of ways to increase your visibility without flashing lights: aux lights, bright clothing, reflective tape, or just drive your F250. Smile

In the end I reckon those that think it's ok will use them, those that think it's not will not. I will continue to assume I am invisible to everyone on the road and react accordingly.

As with most internet debates each side will walk away smug in the knowledge that they are right and the other guy is wrong.  :bigot:

ianbh

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 13 Wee Strom, 09 Piaggio MP3
Miles Typed: 243

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2009, 07:39:09 PM »

In the end I reckon those that think it's ok will use them, those that think it's not will not. I will continue to assume I am invisible to everyone on the road and react accordingly.

As with most internet debates each side will walk away smug in the knowledge that they are right and the other guy is wrong.  :bigot:

Ya Think?  Ian, Iowa
DJStevieB

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2009, 01:03:25 AM »

... I also understand that in most areas headlight modulators are legal.

Ummmm.... ALL areas both US and Canada.
Poweranger

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2009, 01:48:18 AM »

Well of course I won't mind if you pay me no special attention.  If on the otherhand you are inattentive in your driving and that causes an accident you'll have answer for it like like any of us would. See? Nothing special.

Most, but not all, of the drivers that have pulled out in front of me were not distracted or inattentive. They were not on their cell, ect. ect. but were looking down the road right at me. They just didn't see me. This is where the modulator helps. I do not see how that is being special?

There are a number of ways to increase your visibility without flashing lights: aux lights, bright clothing, reflective tape, or just drive your F250. Smile

People do pay a little more attention when the F250 is coming down the road.  Thumbsup

I will continue to ride the same way. The modulator does not replace that.

And yes I am right and YOU are WRONG.  Bigok

TuffguyF4i

Reputation -140

Motorcycles: '02 F4i, '99 1100xx, '04 GSXR 750
GPS: Syracuse, NY
Miles Typed: 2763

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2009, 10:23:46 AM »

Look, I understand there are drivers out there doing anything and everything besides DRIVING while behind the wheel. I also understand that in most areas headlight modulators are legal. That does not change the fact that I think it's pretentious to feel like it's ok to demand special notice by using a modulator regardless of whether it annoys, distracts, and confuses others on the road.  There are a number of ways to increase your visibility without flashing lights: aux lights, bright clothing, reflective tape, or just drive your F250. Smile

All of the products you endorse have exactly the same effect as the modulators.  You don't think aux lights blind and distract and annoy people in cars?  

For me, i don't care.  I love my plug and play HID low beam simply because the glare off the thing is rediculous.  You can see me coming miles away.  I also have rediculously bright LED running lights/turn signals, and I custom made 6 x 1watt LED visiblity lights complete with optics.  I'm like a flying saucer.  LOL

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/TuffguyF4i/catskills011.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/TuffguyF4i/sample005.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/TuffguyF4i/sample004.jpg

I'm making a second compact set for my GSXR, with more simple optics and smaller LED's.

Eventually the people rise as the people always do, and the government exerts it's power in the form of totalitarian rule to violently squash the revolution.  Then you will know it is too late.
rockscaler

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: VT500c, VN750, VN1500, ZX7, ZX9r, RSVR
Miles Typed: 4

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2009, 12:28:34 PM »

I like the modulators but using them on single lane roads with no intersections is completely stupid, down at Deals Gap only an idiot would think they help, if people don't see you there it because its a blind corner and not do to inattention or your vehicle blending into the scenery like it might in commercial areas
highside

Reputation 11

GPS: Seattle
Miles Typed: 4293

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2009, 03:12:34 PM »

I felt kinda bad about them until it started to seem like every single person who has installed high end aftermarket lights on their ricers or trucks have them pointing STRAIGHT OUT into the person in front of them. I longer give a shit about that basic level of courtesy as it seems to have been forgotten by most.
deaconblues

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2008 Triumph Sprint ST 1050
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2015, 11:23:32 PM »

I have to chime in with the headlight modulator crowd.  I found that when I installed one on my ride, my daily commutes became a LOT easier, because lane splitting went from "I'm not sure I have room to fit between those cars" to Parting of the Red Sea.  No one yelled, no one bitched, they just moved aside.  Cops didn't say anything about it, other riders didn't say anything about it (well to be fair my weekend riding buddies told me to "drop the lights" but the same was said for people running high beam or aux lights in a group.  Wilford Brimley: "It's the right thing to do.")

Loud pipes/engine in higher gear? Only heard by people behind me - folks in front never had a clue until I was on top of them.

Headlamp on High Beam? no change. People still blanked out on the presence of a motorcycle.

Bright/retroreflective clothing? Effective at night, but, modulators don't work at night anyway.  During the day, hardly any change in driver behavior.

SO... even tho I cannot lane split in Texas, my Trumpet is getting one fitted, to the high beam only.  At the same time... I am mounting a Steibel Nautilus horn.   I miss the loud assertive horn on my K75, and every other bike I've had were equipped with horns that were little more than a polite cough.  I want something that has cagers diving for the curb when I hit the button!!!

And yes, there is an appropriate time to use any of this stuff.  I get that.  Smile
Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 30

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2015, 12:58:55 PM »

A similar mentality is the root of this statement as well: Loud pipes save lives!

Same crowd, just different bikes.

Lol
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 01:05:44 PM by Windblown » Logged

Pat S.

Reputation -6

Motorcycles: several
GPS: northern Idaho
Miles Typed: 38

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2016, 12:16:54 PM »

Most of the time I wave at them. The Hurt study done in the 1970s, still I believe relevant today, and the most in-depth study on the causes of motorcycle accidents found conspicuity ( seeing and being seen) as the most important element to staying out of accidents. A modulator is a great tool in that respect.

former MSF Instructor
RBEmerson
Repaired but not refurbed

Reputation 7

Years Contributed: '07
Motorcycles: '03 BMW K1200RS
GPS: Skippack, PA, USA
Miles Typed: 3565

My Photo Gallery

Ground control to Major Tom...

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2016, 05:59:01 PM »

Hurt is out of date. The initial report was released in 1981. David L. Hough, in Proficient Motorcycling, makes heavy use of the Hurt Report, which, as of the 2000 edition, was twenty years old. IIRC, even Hough acknowledged that the report was, to paraphrase, showing its age. Simple arithmetic: the report is now 35 years old. Changes in riding demographics, changes, good and bad, in laws pertaining to motorcycles, changes in motorcycles themselves, all combine to remove much of the validity of the quantitative conclusions.

If I had my way, modulators would be federally banned. They're misleading, they violate the code sections dealing lights that falsely make a vehicle appear to be an emergency or law enforcement vehicle, the list goes on far too long. Misleading... more than once I've thought a modulated light was a "I'll wait until [you cross my path]\" and almost found out the hard way it wasn't.

Favoring modulators uses the same specious reasoning that says "run with your high beams on during the day". Some lights won't matter (poorly aimed low) and some will be a distinct nuisance, if not hazard, on any but the sunniest of days.  
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 09:31:39 PM by RBEmerson » Logged

If you're dead, you don't know it, and it's only difficult for others. It's the same way when you're stupid...
mugwump58

Reputation 12

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: EX 500, KLX 300 SF, FJR
GPS: N of I 90
Miles Typed: 3941

My Photo Gallery

The sign is gone :-(

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2016, 07:34:22 PM »

Crazy

May you only ever meet people with headlights just like yours.
Walker
INTJ

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 1996 GPz 1100
GPS: Eastern Washington Desert
Miles Typed: 2597

My Photo Gallery

I'm talking scorched earth, motherf***er!

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2016, 01:58:31 PM »

Hurt is out of date. The initial report was released in 1981. David L. Hough, in Proficient Motorcycling, makes heavy use of the Hurt Report, which, as of the 2000 edition, was twenty years old. IIRC, even Hough acknowledged that the report was, to paraphrase, showing its age. Simple arithmetic: the report is now 35 years old. Changes in riding demographics, changes, good and bad, in laws pertaining to motorcycles, changes in motorcycles themselves, all combine to remove much of the validity of the quantitative conclusions.

If I had my way, modulators would be federally banned. They're misleading, they violate the code sections dealing lights that falsely make a vehicle appear to be an emergency or law enforcement vehicle, the list goes on far too long. Misleading... more than once I've thought a modulated light was a "I'll wait until [you cross my path]\" and almost found out the hard way it wasn't.

Favoring modulators uses the same specious reasoning that says "run with your high beams on during the day". Some lights won't matter (poorly aimed low) and some will be a distinct nuisance, if not hazard, on any but the sunniest of days.  

Wow. Hate to say it, but you are dead wrong. I'veread through thisthread with some amusement regarding the misconceptions here. I've been using a modulator daily for the last 13 years.

In fact, they specifically comply with Federal regulations. They have very specific standards they must comply with including the frequency and intensity they must modulate at. It isn't on off on modulation, it's a sinusoidal wave. Here is a link that quotes the standards: http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-technical-articles/Modulator-regs.htm

Self Entitlement? Try self-preservation! I have seen my modulator work time and time again, too many times to recount here. Just last week I had a truck turn left in front of me, and after a panic stop I realized I forgot to turn my modulator on. I only use mine when going through towns where there are cross streets. Never on the freeway, and never when stuck in traffic or stopped at signal lights. (Moderation for my modulation ha!) I'll never not have one for as long as I keep riding.

We'd just keep going, "Are we not men? We are Devo!" for like 25 minutes, directed at people in an aggressive enough manner that even the most peace-lovin' hippie wanted to throw fis
RBEmerson

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2016, 08:11:27 AM »

I stand by every word of my post.

I did not say they are federally banned. I said they should be banned. NTL, that event is highly unlikely.

If you're dead, you don't know it, and it's only difficult for others. It's the same way when you're stupid...
MidLifeMike

Reputation 11

Motorcycles: buh bye XS750, hello FJ1100
GPS: Where men are men and moose are nervous.
Miles Typed: 335

My Photo Gallery

1984 FJ1100

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2016, 01:28:01 PM »

Just a techie curiousity thing - how would a sine wave meet those conditions?

(b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.

(c) The lowest intensity at any test point shall be not less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.

Someone more on the ball today explain it (shift work messes me up) or maybe they are not using a sinusoidal signal after all. Smiley

FWIW, I've only seen that "throbbing" modulation once on a motorcycle and that was last week. It sure looked like something a cop bike on parade duty should have but if a group ride approached me, I'd go loonie.

Up to now I thought when I saw an approaching motorcycle with lights twinkling like there was a loose connection or bumpy road, that was modulation. And actually that kind of light interference I do and would be able to detect quickly and I wouldn't find it objectionable.

There are plenty of good people to be found. If you can't find one, then be one.
cyclopathic

Reputation 7

Miles Typed: 842

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2016, 08:02:14 AM »

I am riding on new bike without one to work and I see a big difference: people looking through you, pulling out of parking lots, changing lanes, etc. It's been a week but I had more close calls than normally do in couple months.

The trick is to have modulator on low beam, just enough to be noticed but without great annoyance to others.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

visited 30 states (60%)
Create your own visited map of The United States http://douweosinga.com/projects/visited?region=usa
RBEmerson

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2016, 09:15:07 AM »

Dude, short of zapping people with a green laser, it's still gonna happen. Hell, a bright yellow helmet, a hurt my eyes yellow jacket, and a "no more Mr. Niceguy" HID doesn't keep the idiots under control. A modulator is wishful thinking.

shil

Reputation 17

Motorcycles: 2013 Multistrada, 1979 XS650
GPS: Uxbridge, ON
Miles Typed: 902

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2016, 07:16:52 PM »

Dude, it helps you get noticed. What's wrong with that?
Who ever said it'll keep the idiots under control?
RBEmerson

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2016, 08:24:18 PM »

Shrug If that's what you want to think... Shrug

shil

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2016, 10:31:15 PM »

WTF
cyclopathic

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2016, 02:01:24 AM »

Dude, short of zapping people with a green laser, it's still gonna happen. Hell, a bright yellow helmet, a hurt my eyes yellow jacket, and a "no more Mr. Niceguy" HID doesn't keep the idiots under control. A modulator is wishful thinking.
I got mine after cabbie got me off downtown back in '04? We were coming to red light and he decided to jump to what he thought was an empty lane.

We evolved to recognize and react to movement and flashing lights simulate it. It is not about seeing if you have it in your peripheral vision you will look at it.

Now you would still have some bumbaclot who would see and still do it, but majority people are inattentive not malicious. They just need help to see you.

From personal experience on my 100mi daily commute it significantly cut number of oh-sh!t moments from 3 per ride to 3 per month, so they do work.

visited 30 states (60%)
Create your own visited map of The United States http://douweosinga.com/projects/visited?region=usa
shil

Reputation 17

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2016, 09:15:52 AM »

Apparently, if it's not 100% effective, it's shit.
cyclopathic

Reputation 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2016, 10:01:17 AM »

Apparently, if it's not 100% effective, it's shit.
The only thing proven 100℅ effective to avoid motorcycle accident is to stop riding.

visited 30 states (60%)
jay547

Reputation 84

Motorcycles: 2015 Yamaha FJ-09, 2009 Suzuki DR650, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 2171

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2016, 09:41:43 PM »

The only thing proven 100℅ effective to avoid motorcycle accident is to stop riding.

Unless one hits you while you're walking.  Wink

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal