Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: headlight modulator guys  (Read 13508 times)

chornbe

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2009, 10:24:11 PM »

Plus, if every vehicle had flashing (head)lights, then they wouldn't be unique and people wouldn't "see" them any more. Shrug
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

GTS_Rider
Wacko at large

Reputation 53

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: MTS1200ST, V-Strom 1000, '94 Yamaha GTS1000, 2 Honda VF700F's
GPS: E.R. Burroughs Ranch, aka Tarzana, California
Miles Typed: 2821

My Photo Gallery

Lane-Sharing Saved My Life!

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2009, 08:15:09 AM »

You guys with the modulators are amatures for annoyance. A few years back in ST.N v1.0, I documented a couple experiments I ran for lane-splitting the 405 LAX>San Fernando Valley, one of the worlds most crowded commutes.

One experiment was running a bullhorn looping a really old bugs bunny sound track "excuse me, excuse me, pardon me, excuse me...", really loud. I found that it annoyed those that were paying attention in the first place, and the clueless were still clueless, with their windows rolled up and listening to music or on their cell phone.

Another experiment, I ran a 3 million candle power spot-light at night, designed to burn the pavement between cars 4 or 5 cars ahead of me to let them know something's coming. Eh, I gave that one up after the trial run, I still didn't get much extra notice, plus the fact that I'd be sure to get mega-busted if I rolled up on a cop.

I've gone back to invisable mode (except I still run high-beams in the day, and during tight low-speed frwy lane splitting at night). Any-case, I still don't get why people complain about modulators, they just make your lights go 'off' for part of the time. It's not even close to some of the 'really annoying' shit I have tried....

"I actually felt G-Forces in my face fat" - Streetbike Tommy
county
The thrill of speed, the image of danger

Reputation -630

Motorcycles: Blackbird & F650CS
GPS: Memphis, TN
Miles Typed: 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2009, 11:59:18 AM »

Ultimately I don't care either way...  I survive just fine without them and *MY* ability to watch around me and ride like I'm invisible has done what headlight modulators do for others. I just choose not to be the center point of that much on-road attention.

Can I have your modulator?

Iron Butt Identification No. 22810.  BB1500   Bullet Bike rider
My dog can poo !
Advertisement

FJRmgm

Reputation 15

Miles Typed: 1753

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2009, 08:57:19 AM »

They are distracting.  From a distance it looks like a Police bike.  If they become more prevalent, hopefully they get banned.

+1 - I don't like them at all.  Neither does my S.O.
Ves

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 ABS
GPS: Alsip IL
Miles Typed: 265

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2009, 08:05:20 PM »

If there is a flashing light in your field of view... you WILL notice it... it's pretty much physically impossible for you not to look...  our brains are wired that way...  don't ask me why, I'm not god... (although my kids do keep calling me god... "Oh, god!"  Headscratch...)    Whether the problem is dept/speed perception... lack of sleep... cell phones... lack of intelligence or what ever... they notice you...  and getting noticed is part of the game...

Anyone who's irritated enough to give you the finger, or whatever, has got bigger issues than my flashing light...  Rolleyes
TuffguyF4i

Reputation -140

Motorcycles: '02 F4i, '99 1100xx, '04 GSXR 750
GPS: Syracuse, NY
Miles Typed: 2763

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2009, 10:32:46 AM »

I prefer HID low beam with Halogen high beam, super bright LED turn signals, and LED visibility lights.

Never hand anyone pull out on me with that setup.

Eventually the people rise as the people always do, and the government exerts it's power in the form of totalitarian rule to violently squash the revolution.  Then you will know it is too late.
ST1300Rider
Old Phart

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '05 ST1300, '09 R1200 GS, '07 Triumph Scrambler, '87 Honda XL600V
GPS: Eastern Slope of the Alberta Rocky Mountains
Miles Typed: 648

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2009, 11:33:07 AM »

I'd never wish harm to anyone as a general rule.  But I'd laugh if all the flashing let them stranded on the side of the road with no headlights.

And this is exactly the reason I've shitcanned mine after many years of use. I still had low beams, but a lonely straight road through forest rat habitat, the dead of night, after 14 hours in the saddle..... I wanted my high beams. The headlights themselves were fine, it was the modulator that failed. Even if I'd figured out the problem on the side of the road, my install was not easily undone. If you ride at night, maybe think twice.

"In the end, its about the ride. Not the siren songs of the farkles." AugustFalcon on ADVRiders.

Weather in Sundre http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IALBERTA332#history
Poweranger

Reputation 15

Years Contributed: '10
Motorcycles: 13 Tiger 800
GPS: Michigan
Miles Typed: 783

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2009, 04:24:38 PM »

And this is exactly the reason I've shitcanned mine after many years of use. I still had low beams, but a lonely straight road through forest rat habitat, the dead of night, after 14 hours in the saddle..... I wanted my high beams. The headlights themselves were fine, it was the modulator that failed. Even if I'd figured out the problem on the side of the road, my install was not easily undone. If you ride at night, maybe think twice.

My modulator has a fail safe that just sets it to steady on. It will not fail and kill the power to the headlight. It has failed and worked as intended. I never lost use of the highbeam.
ST1300Rider
Old Phart

Reputation 9

Motorcycles: '05 ST1300, '09 R1200 GS, '07 Triumph Scrambler, '87 Honda XL600V
GPS: Eastern Slope of the Alberta Rocky Mountains
Miles Typed: 648

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2009, 04:40:22 PM »

My modulator has a fail safe that just sets it to steady on. It will not fail and kill the power to the headlight. It has failed and worked as intended. I never lost use of the highbeam.

I "thought" the Comagination (Spell?) unit I had was supposed to do this as well. It didn't. It's gone.

"In the end, its about the ride. Not the siren songs of the farkles." AugustFalcon on ADVRiders.

Weather in Sundre http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IALBERTA332#history
Poweranger

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2009, 09:26:33 PM »

I also have the Comagination that failed. I guess at least mine failed the way it is supposed to fail. But next time I will be looking at a different brand.
Andrew
If you think education is expensive try ignorance

Reputation 44

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09
Motorcycles: YA I got a few
GPS: Left Coast
Miles Typed: 4797

My Photo Gallery

May you hear the music as well

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2009, 08:03:25 PM »

+1

Or more.

Or pair each of them with a religious zealot and let them spend their time trying to convert each other.

Dang that is just twisted,   Funny too  Bigok

"Wild seeds grow in the sand and rock, may the four winds blow you safely home again"  GD
"Small wheel turn by the fire and rod, Big wheel turn by the grace of God Everytime that wheel turns round it's bound to cover a little more ground"
sloth911

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Concours
Miles Typed: 62

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2009, 07:26:21 AM »

I have driven around 15,000 miles in the Phila Suburbs with a Modulator. I love it.

I almost always get waved ahead at 4 way stops.

I have seen hoods dive several times when people see me and slam on the brakes.

I have seen people look cautiously in their mirror to see wtf was behind them.

I leave it on 99% of the time. I try and turn it off when I see a LEO just because I don't want the hassle, but I usually forget and LEO have never given me a problem.

In rural areas I have had people pull over because they think I am a cop (very nice feature!)

I turn it off when I ride with bikes causes it tends to catch their mirrors.

I have had many people at red lights tell me that my headlight is blinking and I say "I know" and if they look particularly distressed, i say "thanks" and turn it off until the light turns green.

I had one person in TN tell me that they thought I was blinking my lights for them to go (at 120 times per minute!) he cut me off, but that is one instance where I was cut off and I have at least 2-3 per week where it is clear the modular caught the cagers attention.

You can't have it both ways, if it "annoys" you, that means it works and you are seeing it.

If a blinking headlight really cause you (or someone else) that much distress, I would suggest you seek professional help, because you got some real issues that you need to work out, and NEVER goto Vegas, your head is likely to explode!

When I do turn it off (as mentioned above) I forget to turn it on and after a few miles I start to become concerned when some cager does something unexplainable and I realize that my modulator is off! It works!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 07:28:44 AM by sloth911 » Logged

CONCOURS LAPEL PINS FOR SALE
MyPhotos
COG#8626 http://sn.im/dh7hyhttp://sn.im/dh7he
adlowe

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 1999 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
GPS: Southeast Michigan
Miles Typed: 172

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2009, 10:00:38 AM »

I leave it on 99% of the time. I try and turn it off when I see a LEO just because I don't want the hassle, but I usually forget and LEO have never given me a problem.

PA State Police are fine with modulators. I've come across (and spoken with) several and not one nhas ever mentioned my modulator, not even when it was lighting up their badges.

Windblown
Old Codger in Training

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: '04 Concours - '03 FZ1 - '05 KTM 525 - '09 CRF250X - '13 KTM 990 SM-T - '07 Yamaha R6S
GPS: Shenandoah County, VA
Miles Typed: 3533

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2009, 08:49:19 PM »

You can't have it both ways, if it "annoys" you, that means it works and you are seeing it.

See that's just it. I don't want it "Both ways". I figure your mere presense on the road doesn't give you the right to distract me or force me to give you special notice. What makes you special? Are you riding an emergency vehicle on your way to save lives, or perhaps arrest a murderer? No, you're just another person making there way along a public road, just like everyone else. But for some reason you think that because you are on two wheels you deserve some special notice.

Here's a thought: How about you ditch the flashing headlight and glue a big freakin glow-in-the-dark dildo on top of your helmet. I'll notice it, and be amused rather than annoyed. We both win!  Bigok

I may die with nothing to show for it but there will be a heck of a garage sale.
GTS_Rider
Wacko at large

Reputation 53

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2009, 09:59:04 AM »

... But for some reason you think that because you are on two wheels you deserve some special notice...

Uhhh, yeah!, but more like *any* notice. "Special-notice" may well still apply, since last time I checked, moto's don't have seat-belts or air-bags (excluding new gold-wings for the airbag bit).

You've never heard about inattentional blindness?  

http://www.ommriders.com/t/01/sub.jsp?p=3830

Ves

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 ABS
GPS: Alsip IL
Miles Typed: 265

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2009, 11:01:23 AM »

I can not tell you how many times my wife and I are doing something together that requires observation... like driving or just sitting and watching TV and I'll mention something I just saw, and she'll say something like, "I didn't see it, I wasn't looking."....  Headscratch  I'm like, what do you mean you didn't see it... you were facing that way... you were looking at it...   Point is her mind was somewhere else, or she was focused on something else...  

People are distracted... everyone frikin multitasks these days... that's the reality... anything you can do, within reason, to cut through that distraction if fair game...   it just makes sense...

To be legal they have to flash at a certain intensity, at a certain frequency... and they should have sensors that stop the flashing when you're in a dark area... like under a bridge or in a tunnel and at night...  If you ever got a ticket it would never stand up in a court or law, because a federal law allows them...  unless of course yours is not designed properly... and I'm sure there are some out there that aren't...
Poweranger

Reputation 15

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2009, 04:01:52 PM »

Uhhh, yeah!, but more like *any* notice. "Special-notice" may well still apply, since last time I checked, moto's don't have seat-belts or air-bags (excluding new gold-wings for the airbag bit).

You've never heard about inattentional blindness?  

http://www.ommriders.com/t/01/sub.jsp?p=3830

+1 Very well said GTS-rider.

I guess Windblown won't mind if I take my F-250 diesel pickup out on the road and not give him any special notice when he is on two wheels. Why should I? His two wheeler is nothing special. Probably won't even put much of a dent in the truck if I would happen to run in to him while I was not paying any "special" attention.

I tried the glow-in-the-dark dildo glued on helmet trick too and it would not work. Only caused a bunch of hot gawking sluts to become distracted while driving causing even more accidents.  Bigok
sloth911

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Concours
Miles Typed: 62

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2009, 05:15:11 PM »

I figure your mere presense on the road doesn't give you the right to distract me or force me to give you special notice. What makes you special?

Doesn't matter what you "figure". Sounds like the feds are giving me all the "rights" I need to drive around w/ flashing headlight to attract drivers attention.

CONCOURS LAPEL PINS FOR SALE
MyPhotos
COG#8626 http://sn.im/dh7hyhttp://sn.im/dh7he
GTS_Rider
Wacko at large

Reputation 53

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2009, 06:23:25 AM »

I soooo want to add modulators to my bike. Same time I shrink back because I don't want to add extra notice as I approach or split by police cagers. Hmmm, it's a hard decision, go traditionally invisible/stealth to avoid police attention...or announce your presence to everyone in your path extra-ways? I still choose to go full invisible, but I don't get why fellow bikers are harshing on the more to be seen scene?

« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 06:25:42 AM by GTS_Rider » Logged

adlowe

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 1999 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
GPS: Southeast Michigan
Miles Typed: 172

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2009, 09:19:50 AM »

I don't get why fellow bikers are harshing on the more to be seen scene?

Overcompensating for their feelings of sexual inadequacy?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal