Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: AMA or AAA? Roadside assistance  (Read 4571 times)

zer0netgain

Reputation -252

Motorcycles: '99 CBR1100XX
GPS: VA/TN
Miles Typed: 6190

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2009, 09:50:53 AM »

I'd say the odds are AAA would get you help sooner based on more coverage.

I don't carry anything.  If when you need it you have to wait hours for anyone to show up, it's not worth it.

Zaphod did not want to tangle with them and, deciding that just as discretion was the better part of valor, so was cowardice the better part of discretion, he valiantly hid himself in a closet.
cultureslayer

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '89 ex250
GPS: NC USA
Miles Typed: 5798

My Photo Gallery

furry ninja

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2009, 09:58:33 AM »

I don't carry anything.  If when you need it you have to wait hours for anyone to show up, it's not worth it.

MY bike is an '89
Car is a '94
Boyfriend's car is a '97 with 190k on it
Truck has 275k on it.

For some people it's worth getting, considering the price of a tow.  Especially if the truck were to break down when towing a trailer, most places charge for 2 tows (one for the truck, another for the trailer).  AAA won't cover towing the trailer, so we'll probably be going with good sam since they cover bikes, trailers, and anything you own.

Lauren
jen

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 2007 Honda CBR600RR
GPS: Fort Collins, Colorado
Miles Typed: 41

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2009, 12:01:36 PM »

There is a distinct lack of mention of the COST of these services in this thread.  I'd be interested in know at least approximate costs.  

I used to have AAA with RV Plus, and had gotten on initally under my parent's membership so it was something like $50/year.  Had many painless vehicle towing experiences.  I let my coverage lapse, moved to Colorado, and when I went to renew, they wanted something like $200 annually, and didn't cover motorcycles.  

If I had a finicky machine, it might be worth it, but I will probably tow something once in 5 years?  That won't pay for it.  When my husband crashed his bike, I could have called a tow truck.  Instead I just got a uHaul trailer for 30 bucks, and hauled it out of the canyon myself.

If I was planning a long distance ride, I would DEFINATELY be willing to lay out more $$ for roadside assistance to cover the trip.  But just for the normal, Saturday afternoon cruising I have a hard time laying out a huge block of cash (in addition to all the other costs of owning/riding a motocycle).  Heck, I didn't even add extra coverage for our week-long ride to the Black Hills last summer -- didn't seem worth the cost.

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 49

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '09 Honda Transalp
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 14062

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2009, 12:04:34 PM »

There is a distinct lack of mention of the COST of these services in this thread.  I'd be interested in know at least approximate costs.  

AAA coverage costs will vary from state to state I'm guessing, seeing as the coverage offers varies so wildly state to state  Rolleyes  NorCal AAA coverage (which did NOT include motorcycles was around $45/year, IIRC

I called AllState Roadside assistance and for $109 and change/year, the cars and motorcycles are covered. In fact, any vehicle I can stand near is covered, so that means a fellow rider's bike, if that was the case. I did not get clarification on trailers, since we don't have one.

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.
Lawn Dart
I am BMW-K: I survived Christine's Wrath.

Reputation 45

Years Contributed: '07, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2012 Ducati Monster EVO; 2011 Yamaha WR250R
GPS: Anaheim Hills, CA
Miles Typed: 4438

My Photo Gallery

- C'mon Iron Horse! Go faster! Go Faster!

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2009, 12:24:49 PM »

Google is your friend.  

ATGATT 35:12-14
"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived, and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked, 
cultureslayer

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '89 ex250
GPS: NC USA
Miles Typed: 5798

My Photo Gallery

furry ninja

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2009, 12:50:40 PM »

Jen, good sam is $80 for a whole household (member, spouse, and kids living at home under 26 or something).  I think they might charge between $12 and $25 to join the club as well.  AAA NC is $120.  Because of the truck and 7x16 trailer I'm only looking into things that cover it as well.  I might have to ask my grandparents about good sam since they own a RV.  

Another option I just found is coach net, which also has a plan that covers trailers and bikes.  They have coverage in Mexico, which I don't think most of the others do.  Not an issue for me, but might be useful for some of the members.

https://www.coach-net.com/rvowners/Plans.aspx
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 01:25:12 PM by cultureslayer » Logged

Lauren
Diablo Rojo

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 2005 R1, 2011 Spyder
GPS: Redneckastan
Miles Typed: 598

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2009, 03:37:55 PM »

I signed up for the Allstate RV Roadhelp for $75.00 a year that covers me for both bikes and my truck.  The beni's looked good and the references from peeps on this and other forums were all positive.  Thumbsup

All Who Wander Are Not Lost - Tolkien
napper

Reputation 16

Years Contributed: '09, 10
Motorcycles: 2000 XR650L; 2000 VFR800
GPS: Glendale, AZ
Miles Typed: 890

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2009, 05:02:56 PM »

Because I had AAA, when we were stranded in the Nevada desert, I was waiting for help to arrive instead of solving my problem myself.  If I didn't have the coverage, I could have hitched a ride to the nearest service station and solved my own problems.  As it was, that's what I ended up doing, only we sat and baked in the desert sun for over two hours before I did.

Martin K.
Glendale, AZ
napper

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2009, 05:07:23 PM »

AMA Roadside is $35 if you are already an AMA member or free if you choose either automatic annual renewal with a credit card or sign up for a three-year membership ($39/yr.)

I used to have AAA with RV Plus, and had gotten on initally under my parent's membership so it was something like $50/year.  Had many painless vehicle towing experiences.  I let my coverage lapse, moved to Colorado, and when I went to renew, they wanted something like $200 annually, and didn't cover motorcycles.  

If I had a finicky machine, it might be worth it, but I will probably tow something once in 5 years?  That won't pay for it.  When my husband crashed his bike, I could have called a tow truck.  Instead I just got a uHaul trailer for 30 bucks, and hauled it out of the canyon myself.

If I was planning a long distance ride, I would DEFINATELY be willing to lay out more $$ for roadside assistance to cover the trip.  But just for the normal, Saturday afternoon cruising I have a hard time laying out a huge block of cash (in addition to all the other costs of owning/riding a motocycle).  Heck, I didn't even add extra coverage for our week-long ride to the Black Hills last summer -- didn't seem worth the cost.

Martin K.
Glendale, AZ
k0guz

Reputation 2

Motorcycles: 2006 Honda VTX 1300 R
GPS: Rifle, Colorado
Miles Typed: 34

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2012, 02:36:48 PM »

Bump.  

I have both AAA "RV Plus" which is supposed to cover motorcycles, and AMA, and have never used either one.   I also downloaded the AAA app for my Android phone, which accepted my moto as one of the vehicles as I set it up.

Anyone have any recent towing experiences?

73's 
Steve, K0GUZ
kendenton
You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright

Reputation 60

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '10
Motorcycles: 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620, 1991 Kawasaki Zephyr 750
Miles Typed: 3308

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2012, 03:06:28 PM »

I had to use AMA's towing on the way to ESTN in 2009, was very happy with the experience.

From my notes:

About 30 minutes after I called I was helping load the bike onto a flatbed truck for the 10 mile ride to Max's BMW in Troy, NY. I declined the opportunity to work the levers of the tilt-bed and instead held the bike as we flattened out. The tow driver was a nice guy, but you don't want this guy behind you on the road. Between checking texts, talking on the cell, programming the GPS and writing notes, there wasn't much attention left to glance up out the windshield very often. He was impressed with my NJ plates, and asked me what the fartherst I've ever ridden was. "Wyoming" I told him. He said he has a 93 GSXR-1100, and he once rode it from his home in Ballston Spa all the way to Lake George (34 miles according to Google Maps).

Bryan217

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 07 Honda VFR w/ABS
GPS: Northford, CT
Miles Typed: 686

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2012, 03:15:22 PM »

I've had to use AMA twice in the last month, but for my car. The first time was very pleasant, nice quick service. The next time was horrendous. It took about 2.5 hours before the truck showed up, and the young redneck was totally clueless.

But thankfully, I haven't had to use it for the bike yet.
jay547

Reputation 20

Motorcycles: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S, 2009 Suzuki DR650, 2002 Honda CR250, 1973 Yamaha AT-3
GPS: Northeastern, OK
Miles Typed: 1821

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2012, 05:13:19 PM »

like bryan, i have the ama tow service but have only used it for my truck (twice). one was free, the other was outside their range (or whatever they call it) and i had to pay some minimal amount. i do the auto renewal so i don't pay extra for the service.

It's not the fall that hurts, it's when you hit the ground.
jsanford
Salmon is the new red

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: '04 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 '07 BMW F800ST '08 Ducati Monster 695
Miles Typed: 1495

My Photo Gallery

Every day is Ride to Work Day

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2012, 01:19:29 AM »

I've towed a few bikes, all but one time through AAA-RV.  The one time was a tandem tow arranged by Progressive and the driver, very experienced, could stand in for Iggy Pop.  I started carrying my own Canyon Dancer in the Givi (trying to work Murphy's Law in my favor) and the one tow I've had since we used it, and the company owner called me later asking where he could get one.

One evening I got a call. It was a friend of mine, out in the rain, asking if I knew how to jump his Sprint.  The towing service Triumph called (it was part of the purchase) had never been called out to a motorcycle before.

AAA RV is handy for other things--I got my International driving permit through them before my Japan trip.  Free passport photos, too.  They also jumped my hybrid car five times in three months before I had the sense to get rid of it.

'07 BMW F800ST '08  Monster 695   '04 Moto Gu
napper

Reputation 16

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2012, 04:43:57 AM »

I had a breakdown a couple of weeks ago and called the number on my AMA card for roadside assistance.  The operator told me they no longer handled AMA's roadside program.  She was helpful and gave me the number of another service that currently handls AMA's roadside assistance.  The operator this time couldn't find my AMA account so the tow wasn't covered.  She did get a truck out to me, though.

I have AMA roadside because I signed up for three years.  My membership doesn't expire until September 2012.  I have moved twice since I got my membership but the monthly magazine gets to me and my address is correct on their website.  

I'm kind of glad this happened on my way home from work.  I'll be sure everything is in order and I have the right phone number on me before leaving on an extended trip I'm planning for this summer.  Also something I'll add to the pre-trip checklist for the future.

Martin K.
Glendale, AZ
JonS

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '06, '07, '08, 2x'09, '10
Motorcycles: 2004 Multistrada 1000DS
GPS: On the western slope
Miles Typed: 4704

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2012, 06:31:37 AM »

Bump.  

I have both AAA "RV Plus" which is supposed to cover motorcycles, and AMA, and have never used either one.   I also downloaded the AAA app for my Android phone, which accepted my moto as one of the vehicles as I set it up.

Anyone have any recent towing experiences?

I have the same AAA coverage. Yes, they paid last summer after I wreaked my bike and had it towed a good distance. I was in the middle of nowhere.

"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self-awareness". - Annie Savoy

“Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal