Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: AMA or AAA? Roadside assistance  (Read 5047 times)

Diablo Rojo

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 2005 R1, 2011 Spyder
GPS: Redneckastan
Miles Typed: 598

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: December 08, 2009, 06:30:56 PM »

Which has better and more reliable roadside assistance for motorcycles?  Anybody had experience with both?

All Who Wander Are Not Lost - Tolkien
Blunder
The 10th Reindeer

Reputation 30

Motorcycles: '01 Bandit 1200S, '13 Volvo/ISX15 Cummins
GPS: The lower 48
Miles Typed: 7604

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 06:49:03 PM »

I dunno, but some state AAAs don't support motorcycles. Ask Dante. If you're traveling the country I'd think the AMA might have the better deal.

When you come to a fork in the road, lick the spoon.
atadaskew

Reputation 155

Motorcycles: A Vethpa and thome other thcooter
GPS: Venice Beach, California.
Miles Typed: 11824

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 07:08:47 PM »

When my VFR 750 stranded me, I had AAA with moto tow policy.  This was in SoCal, and they sent out a flat bed truck that did not have moto appropriate straps, nor did the driver EVER load a bike onto his flat bed before.  Really sucked.

I'm hip about time, I just gotta go.
kevin_stevens

Reputation -9

Years Contributed: '09
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: BMW S1000RR, Buell 1125CR
GPS: I'm right here!
Miles Typed: 5936

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 07:17:01 PM »

BMW-K recommends Allstate Roadside Assistance above all others, and says you can get it without being a policy holder.  I've just started to look into it and don't have details, but maybe he'll chime in.

KeS
Lawn Dart
I am BMW-K: I survived Christine's Wrath.

Reputation 45

Years Contributed: '07, '09, '10
Motorcycles: 2012 Ducati Monster EVO; 2011 Yamaha WR250R
GPS: Anaheim Hills, CA
Miles Typed: 4444

My Photo Gallery

- C'mon Iron Horse! Go faster! Go Faster!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 07:21:23 PM »

Neither.  RV RoadHelp.  It's AllState's version of AAA and it is, by far, the best option out there that I've seen for motorcyclists.  They will tow you to a licensed dealer shop, from ANYWHERE (yep, that includes the Haul Road in Alaska) at no upcharge.  Seriously, it's in the fine print.  

And to confirm, you don't have to have AllState insurance either.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 07:25:40 PM by BMW-K » Logged

ATGATT 35:12-14
"And Atgatt courted Motgatt, and took her for a wife.
And lo, he compromised with Atgmott, and verily she conceived, and did bear a son, Notgatt. And Notgatt roamed naked, 
Diablo Rojo

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: 2005 R1, 2011 Spyder
GPS: Redneckastan
Miles Typed: 598

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 08:43:48 PM »

Neither.  RV RoadHelp.  It's AllState's version of AAA and it is, by far, the best option out there that I've seen for motorcyclists.  They will tow you to a licensed dealer shop, from ANYWHERE (yep, that includes the Haul Road in Alaska) at no upcharge.  Seriously, it's in the fine print.  

And to confirm, you don't have to have AllState insurance either.

Thanks! I'll check AllState out.

All Who Wander Are Not Lost - Tolkien
sok61

Reputation 0

Miles Typed: 6

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 09:30:58 PM »

I have AAA Plus with RV service, which covers cars, motorcycles, rv's etc. They'll tow as far as you tell them to.  Had to use it once for my bike.  The driver had straps, but the flat bed surface was greasy, which made it difficult to strap down the bike.  My $0.02.  

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 50

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '09 Honda Transalp
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 14134

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 09:55:31 PM »

I have AAA Plus with RV service, which covers cars, motorcycles, rv's etc. They'll tow as far as you tell them to.  Had to use it once for my bike.  The driver had straps, but the flat bed surface was greasy, which made it difficult to strap down the bike.  My $0.02.  

As noted by Jeff N, check with your state. AAA Northern CA covered me, NJ won't Shrug

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.
jahoobob
ST1300 & FJR Pink Slip

Reputation 11

Miles Typed: 163

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 10:15:43 PM »

On a trip to northern Manitoba a couple of years ago my buddies FJR failed in a KOA outside of Detroit.  AAA sent a guy with and enclosed MC trailer to deliver him to the closest Yamaha shop.  The guy placed the saddle bags in the bed of the trailer and one got scratched and the tie downs rubbed paint on the fairings.  He still hasn't gotten any money for the repairs from the towing company and AAA won't do anything for him.  They jury rigged the ignition switch (there was a recall later) and we headed on.  Two days later we stopped for gas about 140 miles outside Thunder Bay and it wouldn't start.  AAA sent a flatbed with a dolly to handle a motorcycle.  They, AAA wouldn't pay the entire bill on the second haul 'cause they had to go more than the max miles to get to the nearest Yamaha shop.  We had to rent a car to drive from TB to Thompson, MB to catch a train to Churchill.  The shop allowed me to leave my bike in their locked yard and they did a great job of getting the FJR rigged again to get us home.  My friend canceled his AAA membership after that.  If I remember correctly the towing overages and repair to the bike cost him more that $700.
falconati
you love it

Reputation 44

Motorcycles: Ducati Hypermotard 796, Aprilia Futura, Aprilia Falco
GPS: Madison, WI
Miles Typed: 5767

My Photo Gallery

Baller

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 10:31:06 PM »

Incorrect.  They will tow up to 100 miles.  I have this service and have used it more times than I care to admit.

I like the service, but I'd be really interested in the Allstate service if they will tow to any dealership...
chornbe

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 10:44:09 PM »

I dunno, but some state AAAs don't support motorcycles. Ask Dante. If you're traveling the country I'd think the AMA might have the better deal.

+1

I looked into this for our cross-country trip last year and ended up getting AMA/MoTow because of nationwide coverage and bike-specific service providers.
Gary B.

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: '06 Concours, '06 DR650
GPS: SE Wisconsin
Miles Typed: 638

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 11:18:43 PM »

+1

I looked into this for our cross-country trip last year and ended up getting AMA/MoTow because of nationwide coverage and bike-specific service providers.

Same here. Luckily I can't tell you how good the AMA plan is.

I'm not lazy, I just have advanced time-management skills.

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 1997 Thunderace, 1980 CB 750 F
GPS: Seattle and Boston
Miles Typed: 105

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 11:41:16 PM »

I have the AMA and have used it once. Well sorta.

I was heading back to school one night and saw two bikes pulled over a on small highway. I pulled over and offered some help as one had a flat tubed tire. Long story short, I called up AMA and the woman went to work right away to get a truck out to where we were. (Friends in your group are covered and I believe it covers cars too?) Anyway, I was on hold for a while and eventually just gave her my number as she could not find a tow truck, MC equiped to tow from MA to RI. ( we were a 5 miles from the RI border.) Eventually we gave up on the tow service and kept the bike a in local's garage. The AMA woman said it was something to do with policy of the tow companies not wanting to tow cross state lines. I don't know if she was jerking my chain and never actually checked back with them on that. It was 10 PM on a Sunday if that makes a difference.

She was kind, pleasant, and never gave up on calling companies. She insisted I call back with AMA to figure out why there was so much trouble, but I never followed up.

I guess it makes little difference no matter how kind the help is if it never comes.

nothing noble is done without risk- COURAGE
2006FJR

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE, 2007 Vespa 250GTS
GPS: Irvine, CA
Miles Typed: 426

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 12:16:33 AM »

I have AAA Roadside, AMA and Geico Insurance that also covers towing for the bike. I cancelled the AAA Roadside this week and will use the AMA if I run into issues moving forward.
UHOH

Reputation 13

Motorcycles: C-14 Sport-tour
GPS: Washington State - the dry, east side
Miles Typed: 1138

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2009, 01:38:21 AM »

Have used "AAA RV plus" (an upgraded service category) for 4 or 5 tows and have been well satisfied.  
Recommend them: always competent people.   (Bonus = it also covers cars) will tow up to 100 miles free, extra @ $3.50/mi.  
one dispatched at 10PM weekday from 60 miles away to tow me 30 miles further away from his home.

I have the AMA and have used it once. Well sorta.
... Anyway, I was on hold for a while and eventually just gave her my number as she could not find a tow truck,
... It was 10 PM on a Sunday if that makes a difference.
She was kind, pleasant, and never gave up on calling companies.

that's why I chose AAA, wanted a service that already had contracted towers and didn't have to look for one,
since I ride remote roads n the PNW part of the country, sometimes solo. Don't know a thing about a NJ exclusion, though.
Marcster
The (HiViz) Greenhorn

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '00 Yamaha Diversion (Seca II) - WRECKED.
GPS: Let's go Phill-eees!
Miles Typed: 5140

My Photo Gallery

That's nice, but can it be made into jerky?

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2009, 07:25:25 AM »

Don't know a thing about a NJ exclusion, though.

I think that's based on where you live, not where you ride.  In other words, if Colleen still lived in California and broke down on her bike in NJ, they'd still cover it when she called the number on the back of her California AAA card.  Now that she's in NJ, she has a different card and they have fewer options (no RV Plus = no bike coverage).

------

And though I've never used it, I have towing service through Progressive, which is one of the reasons I went with them.

Everyone needs a Trunk Monkey in their topcase!

Mrs. DantesDame
Super Moderator

Reputation 50

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: '09 Honda Transalp
GPS: Switzerland
Miles Typed: 14134

My Photo Gallery

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 07:29:55 AM »

I think that's based on where you live, not where you ride.  In other words, if Colleen still lived in California and broke down on her bike in NJ, they'd still cover it when she called the number on the back of her California AAA card.  Now that she's in NJ, she has a different card and they have fewer options (no RV Plus = no bike coverage).

Yes, that's how I understand it.

I have Geico now. One of today's "Things to Do" items is to research what kind of roadside assistance policy they have. I saw something about it briefly when we signed up Shrug

Otherwise, AMA or AllState just might be getting a call from me.

www.dantesdame.com  <--- Rides! Rides! Rides! Burnout  You don't know unless you ask. ***   Adventure: Adversity recounted at leisure.
hurtin

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2007 Sprint ST ABS
GPS: MA
Miles Typed: 77

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2009, 07:57:05 AM »

What about this?

http://www.mtstowing.com/
2006FJR

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2006 Yamaha FJR1300AE, 2007 Vespa 250GTS
GPS: Irvine, CA
Miles Typed: 426

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 09:10:48 AM »

Yes, that's how I understand it.

I have Geico now. One of today's "Things to Do" items is to research what kind of roadside assistance policy they have. I saw something about it briefly when we signed up Shrug

Otherwise, AMA or AllState just might be getting a call from me.

Please share what you find on Geico. They told me they would tow for free anywhere in the US?
Gary B.

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: '06 Concours, '06 DR650
GPS: SE Wisconsin
Miles Typed: 638

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 09:12:35 AM »

AMA also covers all cars and trucks in your household.

I'm not lazy, I just have advanced time-management skills.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal