Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print

Topic: Trouble finding info on the 990 SMT for US buyers? (updated 12/18)  (Read 8379 times)

sargent

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
GPS: Bloomington, IN
Miles Typed: 27

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« on: December 09, 2009, 01:44:47 pm »

I've contacted every dealer in Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Michigan, and Ohio trying to find one that has any info on when/if they may be getting a 990 SMT in.  I'm about 63% sure that's the bike I'm going for when I trade in the spring (anyone looking for a nice Ducat GT1000?) but if I can't find one, that's gonna be kind of hard.

Anyone had any luck with their local, or any dealer for that matter, finding anything out about the bike in the US?

Just for potential future discussions, the other 2 on the spring 2010 bike list (currently) are a Triumph Tiger 1050 wABS or a Ducati Multistrada 1100S.

12/18 Update: I talked to Commonwealth in Louisville, KY (where I bought my GT1000) today while I was there testing out a Triumph Tiger and Street Triple.  They said that they are going to be one of these street dealers, but that KTM is being super nit-picky about steps that dealers have to take to get the street line.  Even the sign on the outside of the building has to be a new one from the standard KTM dirt dealers  Rolleyes  They said that they'll be getting at least a few 990 SM-Ts in and that one would likely be a demo model.  Bigok  So after nixing the Tiger off my list today, I was glad to hear that they'll be getting the KTMs in sometime this spring.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 08:04:28 pm by sargent » Logged
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

former230

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: 06 Buell XB9SX
Miles Typed: 14

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 12:44:06 pm »

I am in a similar boat....although my dealer just recently posted on their blog that they have ordered 2 SMT's (both in orange) for all of 2010. So if I want one from them in 2010, I better decide fast. The only thing holding me back from this bike is it's lack of ABS...I really want that on my next bike. We shall see..

Here is a link to my dealer's blog fwiw....

http://letkocycles.blogspot.com/

sargent

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 08:23:37 pm »

I might have to keep that in mind, the furthest I've traveled to get a bike has been 3 hours.  IN to KS is 8 but it may be my only choice!  Crazy
Advertisement

expatbrit

Reputation 15

Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: '08 WR250X, '11 Mutleystrada S, ' 12 RC8R
GPS: 'Burque, NM
Miles Typed: 1401

My Photo Gallery

Not all who wander are lost. I probably am, though

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 12:45:35 am »

Every dealer I called said 'we're not planning on ordering any, SM's don't sell well around here'.
Mr. Average

Reputation 10

GPS: western NC
Miles Typed: 43

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 01:43:01 pm »

I was talking with my closest dealer, Fun Cycles in western NC and he told me that he would not be allowed to have any.  He said that KTM is moving in the direction of BMW in that they are requiring major investment by "boutique" dealers in order for them to have the "hot" street bikes from KTM such as the RC8 and the SM-T.  He was pretty frustrated as he has been a KTM dealer, although mostly dirt bikes, for many many years.

Many people think that this was a major marketing mistake by BMW, and BMW is beginning to re-think this somewhat.  I also think it would be a major mistake by KTM.

Anyone else hearing this stuff?

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.

-Lao Tse
BobW

Reputation 8

Motorcycles: r1200rs
GPS: Morganton, NC
Miles Typed: 594

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 09:59:10 pm »

If FunCycle is a "Not Worthy" shop then KTM needs to refine their business model. I have no affiliation other than some friends who bought bikes there and a few tires and supplies I have purchased. Good folks in sales, parts and in the shop from my dealings and observations. Nice family that have actively supported area motorsports and they do carry a large KTM inventory that is mostly dirt, but includes SD's, SM's, et al. I think they order what they know will likely sell in our area and it would be easy to make some common sense arrangements to facilitate the other models availability in a win, win way. We've lost local BMW and UJM dealers and HD has let folks go in these hard times. Anyone can be a success in business when enough money is moving around, but that Gravey Train has crashed and they need to sharpen pencils and focus on true bottom lines to maintain all facets and levels of business. Useless Taj Mahal buildings with non productive overhead costs are as stupid as demanding huge floor plan expenses on models that may be weaker in certain regions. More real world assessment and less ego. Dumb MF reason to not be able to buy the model you want, "we" won't let an authorized dealer get one for you  Lol Lol Lol Lol Lol and then they won't import more due to low sales  Bigsmile

Retired and loving it.
Mr. Average

Reputation 10

GPS: western NC
Miles Typed: 43

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 10:17:34 am »

If FunCycle is a "Not Worthy" shop then KTM needs to refine their business model. I have no affiliation other than some friends who bought bikes there and a few tires and supplies I have purchased. Good folks in sales, parts and in the shop from my dealings and observations. Nice family that have actively supported area motorsports and they do carry a large KTM inventory that is mostly dirt, but includes SD's, SM's, et al. I think they order what they know will likely sell in our area and it would be easy to make some common sense arrangements to facilitate the other models availability in a win, win way. We've lost local BMW and UJM dealers and HD has let folks go in these hard times. Anyone can be a success in business when enough money is moving around, but that Gravey Train has crashed and they need to sharpen pencils and focus on true bottom lines to maintain all facets and levels of business. Useless Taj Mahal buildings with non productive overhead costs are as stupid as demanding huge floor plan expenses on models that may be weaker in certain regions. More real world assessment and less ego. Dumb MF reason to not be able to buy the model you want, "we" won't let an authorized dealer get one for you  Lol Lol Lol Lol Lol and then they won't import more due to low sales  Bigsmile

You are exactly right.  I was impressed with Fun Cycles operation after my first visit.  BMW made that mistake and they have lost market share and good loyal customers because of it.

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.

-Lao Tse
kendenton
You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright

Reputation 65

Years Contributed: '07, '08, '10
Motorcycles: '15 Aprilia Caponord, '06 Ducati Multistrada 620
Miles Typed: 3476

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 10:20:48 am »

I've been to 4 dealers in the Mid Atlantic that currently sell KTM.  I don't think any of them are in a position to become a "boutique" dealer.  They are all multi-line dealerships, and KTM seemed like an afterthought in most of them.  Doesn't sound too promising...

I miss my sig picture.
The Shepherd
Dual-Sporting......FTW!

Reputation 24

Motorcycles: 2007 KLX 250S, 2000 CBR600F4
GPS: Woodstock Ontario
Miles Typed: 859

My Photo Gallery

Ridin' the crashed canary

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 01:45:37 pm »

I was looking at this bike at the Toronto Motorcycle Show. The owner of a KTM stealership said that all of Canada was slated to get only 15 of these bikes. Maybe he was trying to put the sales pitch on me, make the bike seem rare and exclusive then put the screws to me when talk of pricing comes along.

Ian

"Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time and you'll have the time of your life." - Billy Conolly
Rincewind

Reputation 123

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Miles Typed: 13727

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 01:49:19 pm »

My local KTM dealer still doesn't show the bike on their site's 2010 info.  The KTM website shows some of the new 2010 models, such as the Duke R, but no SMT.  

Shrug Headscratch
demoncleaner

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2008 Yamaha FZ1, 2009 Ducati 696 Monster
GPS: East Troy, WI
Miles Typed: 7

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 09:27:52 am »

I am lucky in that I have three ktm dealers within 20 miles of my home. One of them, "Motorsports Factory" is the store where I have purchased almost every street/dirt accessory that I've needed in the last 15 years. This is nice because the owner always calls me by name when I walk in, we talk a lot, and I consider him a friend. I always thought it would be nice to buy a bike from him, but ktm didn't really have anything I wanted until now. I touched base with him in respect to the SM-T a couple weeks ago, he told me that I was the third "regular" that was very interested in that bike. He said that he will call me the minute he has any information on when/what he can get, he also assured me that he would do what it takes to make it work. I really hope that there is a demo somewhere between the three closest dealers, because that is a lot of coin for a bike I can't try out before buying. As soon as he tells me anything new, I will post it up here for anyone else interested
sargent

Reputation 0

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 12:40:10 pm »

i put a reply up top...looks like KTM is really being a pain about the hoops that dealers need to go through to even get the street bikes now.
mugwump58

Reputation 14

Years Contributed: '08, '09, '10
Motorcycles: EX 500, KLX 300 SF, FJR
GPS: N of I 90
Miles Typed: 3943

My Photo Gallery

The sign is gone :-(

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 12:47:58 pm »

The local KTM dealer will no longer be handling KTM street bikes. I understand why. They have a fine selection of new 07's, like puppies in the window, looking for a home.

May you only ever meet people with headlights just like yours.
R.Markus

Reputation 1

Years Contributed: '09
Motorcycles: 2008 KTM 250XCWe
GPS: IN
Miles Typed: 1743

My Photo Gallery

I'm not happy until you're not happy.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 07:36:22 pm »

looks like KTM is really being a pain about the hoops that dealers need to go through to even get the street bikes now.

That's been the case ever since the 950s were introduced.

Μολὼν λάβε
Guy Jinbaiquerre
Monorail Conductor

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2009 KTM 990 SM-T, 1997 Honda X4
Miles Typed: 1

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 03:08:25 am »

I live in Japan and have an SM-T.

To the OP, I test rode the SM-T and the Tiger before buying and there was no comparison, the Tiger is not a bad bike but the SM-T kicks its ass all over the place.  Engine feel, handling, suspension, and gearbox smoothness all better on the SM-T, not to mention looks IMHO.

If KTM doesn't get its US dealers plenty of these bikes to sell, they are making a big, big mistake.  This could be KTM's big seller for the next decade, like BMW has the R1200GS.

http://www.smtocj.org
2009 KTM 990SM-T ・1997 Honda X4 ・1995 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)
"Even
Hotbrakes

Reputation 5

Motorcycles: KTM SMT, Super Duke R, RC51, F800S, 300XC
GPS: Beaverdam, VA
Miles Typed: 848

My Photo Gallery

Responsibly Irresponsible

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 10:30:53 pm »

Checked with my dealer today about getting one.  They didn't order any but if they can get one I'd rather deal with them than go somewhere else.  And with the trade in value of the SD's being close to what I paid for mine on Ebay, I might be able to work a good deal.  06 SD anyone?  Asking dealer trade in value.  Hehe.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal