Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print

Topic: First Bike For her??  (Read 9927 times)

cultureslayer

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '89 ex250
GPS: NC USA
Miles Typed: 5797

My Photo Gallery

furry ninja

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 03:22:18 pm »

My wife is about the same size and loves her 250. Asked her yesterday if she was ready to move up to a larger bike, and she said nope.

I love mine, but my brother that's 6' 2 or 3" can hit his knees with the handlebars while his feet are on the pegs.  It is quite funny to watch.

Lauren
Sport-Touring
Advertisement

Remove Advertisements

UHOH

Reputation 15

Motorcycles: C-14 Sport-tour
GPS: Washington State - the dry, east side
Miles Typed: 1177

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 06:51:43 pm »

sounds like VeeStrom candidate, but you gotta get over the looks.
lionlady
What is this "reading compression" of which you speak?

Reputation 3

Motorcycles: Rockster Limited Edition
GPS: Forest, VA
Miles Typed: 361

My Photo Gallery

BMW R1150R Rockster Ed 80 #196

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 05:58:48 pm »

Ok,  not your typical girl.  My darling has ridden dirt bikes off road, but it's been lots of years ago.  When I say she's not your typical girl, she's really not.  First off, she has a 34" inseam, and she's about 6' tall, and strong as a bull.  She's a State Trooper and has a reputation of taking no shit from people who want to give it to her just because she's a girl.  

With that inseam, I definitely recommend a dual-sport type bike like the Wee Strom. (I don't have the overall height, but I do have the same inseam length - riding pillion can REALLY suck). As the others have said, let her sit and try the fit of whatever she can throw a leg over at your nearest motorcycle show.

AND keep an eye out for a used KLR, etc. as another "learner bike" option. Can't say enough for NOT having to shed tears when inevitable newbie drop happens. My "first" bike was a "serviceable" Suzuki GS250. My first "my" bike was the BMW f650CS - tough to find.

My Rockster has a 33.5" seat height, but its a bit too topheavy for a newb, even one "strong as a bull" (does wifey know you said that?  Lol ).
P
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 06:02:05 pm by lionlady » Logged

Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity.
Advertisement

CosmicCowboy

Reputation 24

Motorcycles: 2007 FZ1
GPS: Tennessee
Miles Typed: 803

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 02:54:19 pm »

I love mine, but my brother that's 6' 2 or 3" can hit his knees with the handlebars while his feet are on the pegs.  It is quite funny to watch.

That's my problem when I ride it. Trap my hand when I try and do a full lock u turn.

"See, it's kinda like some STN threads. When the pot stops steaming, hissing, spitting, and spewing, it's usually done." -ConPilot1
cultureslayer

Reputation 9

Years Contributed: '08, '09
Motorcycles: '89 ex250
GPS: NC USA
Miles Typed: 5797

My Photo Gallery

furry ninja

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 03:04:40 pm »

That's my problem when I ride it. Trap my hand when I try and do a full lock u turn.

Yup, that's what happened to him.  He wanted one because they are so cheap but it just didn't fit him.  To be fair, we both have abnormally long appendages for our heights.  Being 5'5" it means I can ride sportbikes without lowering but for him it's a problem.  He had to special order his bicycle, the largest Specialized made (of course no one stocks them).

Lauren
Papa Lazarou

Reputation 61

Years Contributed: '09
Years Supported: '11
GPS: Sussex
Miles Typed: 9253

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 03:41:57 pm »

Monster.

No, I mean it.

All the pretty girls ride a Ducati Monster.

The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead
Leanintree
Waiting for #3...

Reputation 23

Motorcycles: '02 ZRX1200R, '02 Bandit600
GPS: Loveland, right on the edge of Kalirado
Miles Typed: 3417

My Photo Gallery

Bah. This year sucks.

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 04:18:40 pm »

Monster.

No, I mean it.

All the pretty girls ride a Ducati Monster.

But Monsters are for the 4ft-nothing crowd, and a darn good fit. Put a 6' gal on a Monster, and you might as well tie her ankles behind her ears for all the lack of legroom there is.

But you're right, Hotties on Monsters really works... rawr...
LT

'02 ZRX1200R  - Commutasaurus Rex, '02 Bandit600 - Appropriate name STILL pending

---Guns and bikes, peanut butter and jelly. See the comparison? One's just stickier.
Magnarider
Adventure Kool-Aid Drinker

Reputation 3

Years Contributed: '08
Years Supported: '11
Motorcycles: 2014 BMW R1200GS
GPS: Blaine, Minnesota
Miles Typed: 945

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2010, 03:25:51 pm »

Throw in another vote for a SV650N or Wee Strom.  A dual sport or supermoto would also work well, and can be a blasty to ride on the street!

Every time the Gold Bond / monkey butt threads pop up it puts a smile on my face...just like being 13 and in sex ed class...priceless and juvenile yet informative and useful. - stewm_21
shawn and gwyn
colorado riding family

Reputation 16

Motorcycles: 97 KLR650, 01 concours, 94 klr250,09 bandit 1250
Miles Typed: 606

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2010, 10:21:23 pm »

with her inseam.. any of the 650 dualsports including the wee and the versys.  most dual sports can be had for less than 3k for a nice one.  and it will feel familure from her dirt ridding experiance.  the other thing you might think of is just about any of the early to mid 80s UJMs.. also cheap and reliable.. and wont feel bad about dropping it. at least not to much.  and wont have any problem keeping up with the concours.. for normal cruzing

shawn

jsanford
Devil Duck Monster

Reputation 14

Motorcycles: '04 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 '08 Ducati Monster 695
Miles Typed: 1509

My Photo Gallery

Every day is Ride to Work Day

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 07:33:15 pm »

But Monsters are for the 4ft-nothing crowd, and a darn good fit. Put a 6' gal on a Monster, and you might as well tie her ankles behind her ears for all the lack of legroom there is.

But you're right, Hotties on Monsters really works... rawr...
LT

I'm 5'10" and am just fine on my Monster, thank you very much. I use their Touring seat.

Anyway, I suggest that she consider an F800ST, if the dirt riding is fairly recent and she aces the MSF BRC. With the Corbin, I'm on my toes on that bike when I back it into the garage.

'08  Monster 695   '04 Moto Guzzi Breva
McHack

Reputation -2

Motorcycles: Dang It, I'm bikeless until this winter.... *waaah*
Miles Typed: 579

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2010, 07:56:52 pm »

I need to start a thread like this...

My S/O is only 4'11', & weighs around 105 lbs...   She's not fragile,  in fact,  she does fitness competitions.   She IS, however, tentative & somewhat timid to this idea.   We've already got her first bike,  a Zook GV250,  that's not the hard part.    That hard part is,  what can she proverbially "grow into"....  
KLRchickie
Motorcycle Freak

Reputation 4

Motorcycles: '05 KLR 650, '06 Monster S2R1000, '08 WR250X, '08 TT-R125, '06 TT-R 230
GPS: Calgary, AB, CA
Miles Typed: 1260

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2010, 08:45:30 pm »

I'm 5'10" and am just fine on my Monster, thank you very much.

I'm almost 5'8" & my Monster fits me to a 'T' - like any other bike, it depends on your proportions.  I know a guy who's 6' tall who fits a Monster great, ZED at 6'2" gets a cramp if he tries to ride mine.

My S/O is only 4'11', & weighs around 105 lbs...   She's not fragile,  in fact,  she does fitness competitions.   She IS, however, tentative & somewhat timid to this idea.   We've already got her first bike,  a Zook GV250,  that's not the hard part.    That hard part is,  what can she proverbially "grow into"....  

A lot of shorter riders will tell you that with some experience, being able to flat-foot a bike is not nearly as important.  However, she needs to spend the time it takes to feel *comfortable* on the little bike before she choses to "move up".  Like everybody else, of every size & gender:  sit on every bike you (she) can wangle - see what fits & "pushes ones buttons" & go from there.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 08:47:09 pm by KLRchickie » Logged

KLRchickie

http://rockymountainmotards.com, Supermoto club proudly sponsored in 2016 by Zero Motorcycles!!! http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-fxs/
AHD43

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: "12" R1200RT
GPS: 31 Miles N.E. of Altoona
Miles Typed: 62

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2010, 09:11:11 pm »

How about a Tiger !!!
Marcster
The (HiViz) Greenhorn

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '00 Yamaha Diversion (Seca II) - WRECKED.
GPS: Let's go Phill-eees!
Miles Typed: 5140

My Photo Gallery

That's nice, but can it be made into jerky?

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2010, 04:29:57 pm »

Here is your thread: Bikes For The Vertically Challenged
https://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,42876.0.html

Everyone needs a Trunk Monkey in their topcase!

Zerosum

Reputation 6

Miles Typed: 2733

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2010, 08:01:22 am »

Granted they're 20+ years old at this point, but the Honda Hawk GT is a great bike for short people - it's very low to the ground.  At 6'-0", I'm really too tall for it, but it's so much fun to ride that I kinda force it.  Bigsmile

It's a cult bike that people tend to take good care of, so they're not THAT hard to find.  I see a nice one pop up on Craigslist every few months.  The engines are quite long-lived as well.  30K is nothing on a well-stored, well-maintained machine.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 08:04:58 am by Zerosum » Logged

Riding a motorcycle is perfectly safe.  And if I'm wrong, may my body be horribly crushed and mangled somehow.
jeepinbanditrider
KK6RBI

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: 78 Suzuki GS1000, 04 DL650
GPS: Greenville, Tx.
Miles Typed: 1215

My Photo Gallery

Alright Meow!

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2010, 09:33:01 am »

Another vote for the SV650 naked.  When I was still married that's what we got my now ex-wife.  She loves it still has it.  I tried to get her to give it to me I liked it so much  Lol  that was a no go she wanted money for it.

1978 GS1000,  2004 VSTROM 650, 2008 MazdaSpeed3
McHack

Reputation -2

Motorcycles: Dang It, I'm bikeless until this winter.... *waaah*
Miles Typed: 579

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2010, 10:05:12 am »

I have an SV650S,  & there's no way an SV works w/o major surgery....  to the bike, OR her.  LOL....  

4'11" is pretty short!
jeepinbanditrider
KK6RBI

Reputation 7

Motorcycles: 78 Suzuki GS1000, 04 DL650
GPS: Greenville, Tx.
Miles Typed: 1215

My Photo Gallery

Alright Meow!

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2010, 12:59:06 pm »

I have an SV650S,  & there's no way an SV works w/o major surgery....  to the bike, OR her.  LOL....  

4'11" is pretty short!

The N is a naked bike with different Ergos than the S model SVs.  I'm about her size and I fit on the N just fine.

1978 GS1000,  2004 VSTROM 650, 2008 MazdaSpeed3
GoGreen

Reputation 0

Motorcycles: 2009 Ninja 650R
GPS: Canada, eh!
Miles Typed: 28

My Photo Gallery

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2010, 11:25:20 pm »

I don't think that you can begin to make any decision until she has a chance to shop around and sit on a lot of bikes to have an idea of how they will fit. A V-Strom or a Versys are maybe places to start. I love my 650r Ninja but as I am 5'6" I am not sure if it or a similar bike would work for her. Maybe, my legs are really long and I am comfortable on it. Everyone is built different, so get her out shopping!

2004 Kawasaki Ninja 500ex (for sale)
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R
Marcster
The (HiViz) Greenhorn

Reputation 1

Motorcycles: '00 Yamaha Diversion (Seca II) - WRECKED.
GPS: Let's go Phill-eees!
Miles Typed: 5140

My Photo Gallery

That's nice, but can it be made into jerky?

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2010, 11:43:42 pm »

I don't think that you can begin to make any decision until she has a chance to shop around and sit on a lot of bikes to have an idea of how they will fit. A V-Strom or a Versys are maybe places to start. I love my 650r Ninja but as I am 5'6" I am not sure if it or a similar bike would work for her. Maybe, my legs are really long and I am comfortable on it. Everyone is built different, so get her out shopping!

I'm 6' tall with a 32" inseam and the 650r Ninjas I've sat on have been quite comfortable.

Everyone needs a Trunk Monkey in their topcase!

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

ST.N

Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Sport-Touring.Net.
All rights reserved.

SimplePortal 2.3.1 © 2008-2009, SimplePortal